A Stone's Throw Away
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
$330
$299
British Colonial Hilton Nassau(Nassau)(Great Value!)
$259
$215
  • Beachfront
$145
$199
$266
$180
All reviewshonor barclose to the airportcompass pointday bedbed and breakfastold colonial stylefrench doorstop floorhonor systemboutique hotelocean viewdowntown nassauyogurtminutes from the airportroom was spotlesseach morningother islands
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I spent one night at A Stone's Throw Away before departing for Eleuthera. ASTA is close to the airport and is just perfect for stopover stays, it's a beautiful old colonial building that has been lovingly restored and furnished with a very relaxed air about it. Our room was clean and very comfortable - just what was needed after a long flight. Breakfast was good with lots of choice, the staff were friendly and very helpful and they provide a courtesy pick up and drop off to the airport. I would definitely stay here again and could not recommend it more.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmac143
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband and I spent one night at ASTA last week, before departing for Long Island. Near the airport, they provide free transfer to it. Room was very spacious and clean. Dinner was good but not great.Really useful as a stopeover.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My wife and I visited ASTA for an extended weekend (3 nights). It was fantastic. The food was delicious and during our stay the pool was nearly private (no other patrons using it). Nirvana Beach (just down the road) is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen and John was happy to give us a ride there and back (good tips to John and he'll really take care of you for short trips). The NB and Compass Point are walkable, but I wouldn't do it at night (no sidewalks, fast drivers). We loved the bus system and used it extensively. For us it was fast, cheap, safe and clean.

ASTA was exactly what we were looking for and I would highly recommend ASTA for anyone looking to relax in private luxury. If you want lots of excitement, this is not the best fit for you.

Room Tip: We loved the suite on the top floor, very private and avoids the balcony issue that some have complained about.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I spent one night at ASTA after six days on Eleuthera. I wanted a place near the airport with a little character and style but not a completely bloated price, and this place more than met my expectations.

Unique location, beautiful wrap around porches with a number of potential spots to take in the views while sipping a drink or reading a book. Seriously lovely porch furniture.

The nearest beach is a bit small, but I was told the place has an agreement with another close by resort with a larger spread of sand. Honor bar system was a novelty and certainly made the whole experience more intimate. Dinner was good but not great.

I had a room facing the sea. Wonderful floors and carpets and lovely final touches. Couldn't figure out how to lock my balcony door. Water pressure, which had been quite low on Eleuthera, was quite better here.

Try lunch or dinner at Traveler's Rest, it's a totally manageable walk and their portions are generous.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the two rooms on the second floor facing the sea. 7 or 8.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank carikube
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We were worried about making a connection back to the US after coming so we chose to be more relaxed about it and fly from Cat Island, spend the night in Nassau and hop on the International flight the next day. I'm glad we did this as it gave us a chance to slowly adjust back to reality (Nassau is definitely more chaotic then sparsely populated Cat) and have a final night of vacation. ASTA is a great option for people needing to overnight it in Nassau, a nice bookend to an Out Island trip. The complimentary shuttle to and from the airport makes it nice to not have to deal with taxis and such. The hotel is literally 3 minutes from the airport--it's great! We were promptly put in our room and hopped on the little bus to scope out downtown Nassau (it's about a 30 minute bus ride to the Straw market and all the other touristy attractions of downtown Nassau). I enjoyed the ride past the fish fry and admired the pretty water views. But, it was also nice to leave the chaos of downtown Nassau and head up to the relative quiet of ASTA's neighborhood. The hotel has a lovely deck to relax on in the afternoon. We had a few drinks and enjoyed the water views, chatting with the friendly hotel workers and a few other guests. The hotel offers dinner on the deck and there are two other options in walking distance (Traveler's Rest and Compass Pointe (though walking to CP at night was not the easiest walk--no sidewalks/on main street). Still, the whole stay was pleasant and easy. I will definitely use ASTA as a stopover in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple