“Where books meets Hands on” 5 of 5 stars

Bahamas Historical Society
Ranked #53 of 118 things to do in Nassau
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Where books meets Hands on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have visited the Historical society and have even had a chance of performing as a musician on its stage. There are many artifacts including tools used by slaves as well as Arawaks, old pictures of Nassau city, various land marks and hotels, genealogy, books and articles. It also feature local plays and concerts from time to time. I was told that before the building became the Historical Society, back in the 1800s or so it was called the Independent Order of the Daughters of the Empire and basically that's a sophisticated name for a brothel where white sailors/soldiers and the rich used came for white female prostitutes. Overall a great place to visit if your into history.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank havlyn

New Orleans, Louisiana
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“A large room with historical artifacts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I thought this visit was very informative and helpful to understand aspects of Bahamian culture not available to the average tourist. The Historical Society is housed in a large one room building with exhibits around the perimeter. Two women were 'manning' the desk when I visited. One of the docents was giving a detailed explanation to some guests.

Though there is no entrance fee, a donation is requested.

There were two screens illustrated in bright colors showing the history of the Bahamian islands from the Lucaya Indians until the 1950's when the American tourists showed up. The last illustration with the fat, white Americans made me laugh out loud; and the figures aren't even depicted as fat as we are now! Hahahaha! I posted some photos of these images.

I was also particularly interested in the examples of straw plaiting - it gives you some serious appreciation for the art. I was never impessed by the straw market, but now I will take a look with a better trained eye. I have never liked the gaudy colored material woven in to the bags or hats... But real straw weaving is very impressive. (The library has an even better example of the plaiting.)

I recommend a visit to those people/visitors who are curious beyond the jewelry shopping and water slides.

Visited February 2013