“Skip the Excursions and Walk to Gullie's!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gullies Restaurant And Bar - CLOSED

Gullies Restaurant And Bar
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bahamian, American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Charleston, South Carolina
“Skip the Excursions and Walk to Gullie's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have a frozen rum drink at one of the first shacks at the Fish Fry (you'll be hot and ready by now), then keep walking to the end of the street and have some food at Gullie's.

The walk is about 30 minutes, right through the center of the city (just turn right after you get out of the cruise ship tourist trap building). Follow the signs to Fish Fry and you'll eventually be walking along the beach, with great views of the harbor, lighthouse, and cruise ships.

The Fish Fry is a series of restaurants and stands. Don't be fooled by the first one that says it's THE Fish Fry, keep walking to Gullies.

The portions are huge and awesome, the staff and owner are friendly, and the drinks delicious.

The shrimp and grits (if on the menu), grilled snapper and Jaykonos (spelled wrong) Tacos were awesome. I'm not much of a Conch Fritter fan, but people who know tell me their good.

2 Thank BumblechickFood

texas
“Friendly service and tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We decided to try Gullies based on reviews for dinner on a Sunday, staff was super friendly. My hubby and I shared conch fritters as appetizer, 1 beer, 1cocktail, 3 bottled waters, and a yummy grilled shrimp with rice. Everything was delicious, with tip $35.00. Place is clean with AC inside, plus less noise. We thought price was pretty good compared to other places we have eaten on island, with mediocre food. Will definately go back.

2 Thank kjshurbet
Rumney, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gullies....uuuummmmm...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great local flavor....less noisy then the honkey tonkey elsewhere in the fish fry...stopped for lunch...sat out side....Paid too little....ate too much...I asked Nyka if the 3 tacos (fish chicken & beef) that my wife ordered (for about $14) would be way to much for her to eat...She said " Oh...for sure!" and Nyka was not wrong!!! My Cracked Conch with rice and peas, fried plaintain, and coleslaw ($12) was as good as it gets...and the Kaliks was ice cold....If you can make it to the Fish Fry, skip the Honkey Tonkey..walk right by all the front people tryin to get you into their place (none of which are horrible) and sit out front at Gullies....Tell Nyka that you be Jammin and the folks from NH said they were the best;O)

1 Thank Keith S
Winnipeg, Canada
“Back home and craving more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We recently returned from Atlantis and we are still craving more from Gullies! After reading about Gullies on trip advisor we took our 9 year old twins and headed to the fish fry. They were so great to us and the food was fantastic! My daughter had the steak, my son had the cracked lobster tail and I had the tacos( fish chicken and beef) which there was no way I could eat even half of it due to the sheer amount of food. All three of ours was delicious. The real treat was the meal my husband had,the steamed lobster tail.It was the most incredible tasting dish with the lobster done in a foil pack with peppers onions plantains and a spicy sauce that was out of this world. on top of the incredible food they treated us to free conch fritters as an appetizer and Bahama mamas ( virgin ones for the kids)! We will definitely be returning to Nassau to eat at Gullies!

2 Thank Tada5150
Charleston, South Carolina
“We'll be going back to Guilles again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We went to the Bahamas this week on a cruise. In preparation, I looked at TripAdvisor to point us in the right direction for a great local place to eat lunch after my husband and I did a quick walking tour of the downtown historic area. It's a quick, very scenic walk along the beach from the pier (about 1.74 miles or 2.8 km) out to Arawak Kay OR you can get on the #10 bus ($1.25 each way) from downtown and get off at the fish fry at Arawak Kay. Just let the driver know where you want to stop and he/she will let you off practically at Guilles front door.

Guilles is a great place to eat with both friendly owners and an attentive staff. They are a small business so they buy all their fish fresh daily off the boats in the morning and cook it to perfection for you that afternoon. When the day's catch is gone it's all gone... so there is no frozen fish here folks! The bigger restaurants around the fish fry are not necessarily better since they buy in bulk and often freeze their fish before serving it to you. This is NOT fresh!! Save yourself the disappointment of frozen fish planks and go Guilles and have great, fresh fish, cooked to order!

Since Guilles prepares each dish to order, they were easily able to accommodate my husband's food allergy! Anyone with a food allergy knows that this is a BIG deal! That being said, my husband had the plate of Grilled Red fish and I had the grouper fingers. Both dishes were absolutely delicious! In fact, my grouper fingers from guilles were the best of my trip and I had them at another restaurant the following day. We also had the fresh conch salad which they were able to prepare according to my husband's food restrictions. It was fresh, simply made and delicious as well. As other reviewers have said, the full portions are huge so think about sharing or try their "snack" portions which are also quite large and filling.

If you are in Nassau, get away from downtown and the pier and see the beautiful sights the island has to offer. There are many free public beaches and beautiful scenery along the short trek from the pier to Arawak Key and the fish fry. I encourage you to go out and try Guilles. You will not be disappointed if you do! We are already planning to go to Guilles on our trip back to the Bahamas later this year. See you then guys and thank you so much for the wonderful day and dining experience!!

2 Thank EaglesNest319