“Overall .. A good hotel”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I have just returned from a 5night stay at the hotel,with my family. I had read the reviews and found them helpful and a little apprehensive about what I would find. Overall the hotel is 3 star I would say. We had no problem with check in and it was brief and smooth. Rooms were lovely and clean with new furniture and fittings. One of our rooms only had a doulbe bed which was not suitable for our two daughters to share. But before I we could ring and tell reception one of the customer service employees knocked on our door and sorted it out spoor us, excellent!

The beach amazing here!!! Clear blue water and white sand. Only problem is the sunbeds are old and very uncomfortable when you have come for a relaxing break. Also not really enough umbrellas

We were staying all inclusive. Having read the reviews and seen that people had complained that things I were expensive I would agree that this really is the only option. There are no cooking facilities in the room or even a fridge to enable you to self cater , food very expensive on the resort .
Food was okay, I found it not very good but being realistic it is hard to cater for this amount of people. The aqua restaurant was limited and on the second night it was hard to choose something as menu stays the same. It would have cost over 300dollars for the four of us which is very expensive and the quality did not match the price tag.

Drinks were okay. Frozen sorbet and alcohol on top was the sum total of the cocktails. I really wanted a nice chilled quality cocktail. But again it's great value for money I the Bahamas.

Staff were a little lacking in customer service skills. Having just come form the ritz Carlton I suggest that the Melia could learn something from them.

Frederick the manager was very helpful when we had a problem and sorted it out. You just have to be persistent.

Overall this will be a great place to stay when the work has been completed on its adjoining hotel . If you want value for money in the Bahamas ,and this is hard to find ,,,, this is a good choice.

A good tip Atlantis is a ten minute cab away . We wanted to just see the aquarium which cost 40 dollars a person during the day. We went for dinner there one evening and entrance is free!!! Good choice when everything is so expensive.

Dominos ....deliver to the hotel if you are self catering,

Room Tip: All inclusive is the most cost effective way as food and drinks are expensive
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank 865Yvonne
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2014

Dear 865Yvonne,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our guest rooms, friendly associates and beautiful beach. We appreciate you sharing your experience as our guest comments help us to continue to improve our resort. I hope we have the chance to welcome you again in the future.

Andrew Tilley,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,853)

Reviewed August 29, 2014

This review is a little late as we stayed there the first week of August but better late then never. First of all check your sheets when you arrive and make sure they have been changed, I read other people's reviews and they said to check your sheets on arrival so when we did there were men's hairs in our bed and lipstick marks..beyond gross. The only time we had towels was the first day we arrived because they were already I our room, we would call 3 times a day and finally get them around 8pm..not even a face cloth would be left. We are not picky so we didn't care that the carpet in the room was stained and unravelling, lampshades are dirty and bed frame scratched and worn.
The beach is beautiful and the pool area is run down but fun and the people working the pool bar are awesome! We went with all inclusive so price was good. Food is good also, we ate at buffet mostly, we made reservations for Aqua and I put on a dress for a romantic dinner but when we got there people were there in their beach wear so they don't take the restaurant seriously..buffet has better food. My husband and I were there for 5 days and 4 nights on a romantic getaway and we had a wonderful time enjoying the beach, bar, daq shack, downtown senior frogs and boat tour. The hotel was just a place to sleep and I didn't want to loose a day of our short vacation to look for somewhere else so we made the best of it. We travel a lot and we have stayed at the RIU on paradise island which was much better run hotel. It's up to you if you want to go here but this is the truth and the first time I have given a hotel a bad review. We don't waste time on petty things to complain about but clean sheets and towels are basics even for a motel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lovetotravel403

Dear Lovetotravel403,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful beach and pools and our restaurants. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us as your comments help us to continue to improve our guests experience. I will share your concerns mentioned with my team and I do apologize for any inconveniences caused. I do hope you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2014

Check in was very smooth and not much wait time. We arrived around 2:30 and got our room right away. Rm 132 was close to the pool and beach-great room! Our room was always done and they also came in the evening for the turn down service to leave fresh towels. Because we were in the Kids & co room, room service came by to give the kids nice snacks(cookies/popcorn) in the evening. It was a nice treat! The Aqua restaurant was ok and very expensive. There was no A/C there but a fan blowing at our table. The buffets for breakfast(great fresh smoothies) and dinner was decent and my kids love the pasta and so did I. The servers were very friendly and there to help you. The best part was the pool/beach nearby. The kids loved it and could stay there all day. Talking to one of the lifeguard, Latisha?, very nice and she mentioned the outdoor pools will be in renovation soon. It does need some cleaning up in a few places but still nice. I'm sure by next year, the place will be much better to come back to once the renovations are done. We didn't see much workers or construction noise as mentioned in other reviews. Overall the service was good and everyone was friendly. We took the Jitney($5 for 4 of us) down to the Fry Fish area and ate at Goldie's(highly recommend) and ask for Patrick. Love the grilled conch dish! We used Cheryl's taxi for arrival/departure from the airport. Great service/price! I emailed her to confirm our arrival and they were there with a sign. My husband got sick and Nick from Cheryl's taxi drove us downtown to the walk in clinic before it closed and stayed with us till we were finished. They do tours as well but we had to cancel our tour with them. We went on the dolphin encounter at the Blue Lagoon and had a great time, an experience to remember. There's lots to do here if you have the time/money. All and all, we enjoyed our trip to the Bahamas and will come back there again.

Room Tip: Kids & co rooms are on the 1st level near the pool and beach. Very convenient for families with...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2014

Dear LHB12345,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so glad that your entire family felt special and at home. Our associates work hard to ensure that our guests leave us with memorable experiences and Its always great to hear when that is what our guests have experienced. We look forward to welcoming you and your family again should your travels lead you back to Nassau.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

My girlfriend and I went to Nassau to celebrate, among other things, our 1 year anniversary. The Melia Nassau Beach Resort was a great choice.The hotel is very clean with nice rooms. It is in a great location with a beautiful beach and great ocean views. The awesome staff is the subject of a memorable story. The morning after the first night of our stay, I was awakened by a phone call. Security called to say that my wallet was found on the beach (I had not yet realized my wallet was missing)! On my way to the lobby, I felt blessed that my wallet was found, but I prepared myself to deal with the loss of all the cash I brought. The wallet was returned with not a dollar missing! The staff's hard work in maintaining the hotel led to my wallet being found and I will be forever thankful. I am especially thankful to Trevor and Deon (two very cool guys) who were personally responsible for finding and returning my wallet. I am glad I got a chance to meet and personally thank them! I recommend this resort for a great, relaxing, Bahamian vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 19Travel66

Hello 19Travel66,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that you recovered your wallet. I hope that you visit us again in the future for another wonderful vacation!

Reviewed August 28, 2014

long lines at peck time of check in, expensive meals if you do not purchase the all inclusive package, purchase online and read the fine print, 40 dollar a day resort fee added to online purchases at time of departure. This resort is in a very nice and safe location in the Bahamas.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Hello Jackson148,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Stay Well,

Andrew Tilley

Reviewed August 28, 2014

Let me start off first by saying that this hotel was pretty nice-given what we paid for our stay. I didn't realize that the country itself is a pretty run down place. But once you get to the hotel, it's like you're in a whole other world. The grounds are VERY well maintained. Yes, there were 2 cats there but they were very sweet and kept to themselves. I am not a cat person but I did pet them and they were just happy that someone was paying attention to them-very sweet. The beach in front of the hotel was absolutely breathtaking-beautiful, clear and calm waters-good for snorkeling. Check in and out was a breeze-took all of 10 minutes to check in and maybe 7 minutes to check out. There were no rude staff members- or locals that I encountered throughout my entire trip. We were actually discussing when we left here, how polite people were and that they were some of the nicest people we've encountered while traveling. If you're expecting a fantastic 5 star luxury resort, this place is not for you. This resort was clean, friendly and average for most people.

ROOMS:
We stayed in the West Wing, rm 767 with a partial view of the ocean-rooms were very cool with no A/C problems. They were clean and well kept but as others have said, were a little short on towels when we arrived so we ended up packing one of our own just in case. Each time we called down for new towels or bottled water (you are are allowed 2 bottles of water per day free of charge), we received them right away. The hotel seemed very quiet at night as well (which is one of the main things I seek out when booking a hotel). Of course you could hear the occasional people laughing and talking in the hallway when they are right outside your door but it pretty much ended around 10pm. I also have a 'white noise' app on my iphone that I use when I sleep in hotels to drown out any noise at night so i'm sure this had helped.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD:
We did NOT do the all inclusive because we like to venture out and see what other restaurants are in town. We did eat the breakfast buffet twice and at the grill outside by the pool for supper once. Food was average-nothing bad, although the eggs for breakfast were not very warm. The bar outside made the absolute best margaritas I've ever had. The wait time for food and drinks were normal-nothing like what some reviewers were talking about. We always had our drinks within a couple minutes and food at the grill took about 15 minutes. The views are amazing there so waiting a few minutes was no big deal. Be aware though: if you do go downtown for dining options, it is $15 by cab there and $20 by cab to paradise island where Atlantis is. Some recommendations for food outside the hotel: Senor Frogs on the waterfront-beautiful and great service/fairly cheap. Pirates Pub was good, Curly's down at the Fish Fry had great shrimp.

MISC.: I knew before going that there was no Wi-Fi in the rooms. however, the power goes out quite frequently in the Bahamas and therefore the hotel runs on back up generators. I believe it went out 4 of the 5 nights we were there. You do not really notice it because as soon as it goes out, the generators kick on and you just have to reset your clocks. The only thing is when the generator is on, the Wi-Fi does not work which is a little frustrating since you pay $40 per day per person for amenities like this. They had free paddle boards/kayaks/snorkeling gear out by the beach-you just had to give them your room number and you were good to go. Jet ski's are there also but i believe they were $50 for an hour. Casino was nothing great-just average. The only game I play is roulette and I prefer an actual 'dealer' rather than the electronic kind and the electronic machines were all they had. We did a day excursion to Sandy Toes Rose Island for $84pp and I highly recommend it. 45 minute boat ride (one way) to the island and it is so beautiful and the water is crystal clear. They had a great beach bar and wonderful buffet style lunch for us with fried grouper, pasta, rice, salad, rolls, and hot dogs. Amazing views there! Atlantis was a fun day as well but way too touristy and crowded.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for the price, friendliness of the staff, and by far-one of the best locations for beach/views of cable beach. how much are you in the hotel when you're on vacation anyway other than to shower and sleep?? go out and explore new things and enjoy the fact that you're on vacation in the Bahamas!! :)

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank lyndsey100

Hello lyndsey100,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share such a detailed review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our beautiful beach , friendly associates and location. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

This was a wonderful hotel. The staff was amazing! I wanted to upgrade my room but for whatever reason was not able to. That being said, there was not a single problem other than the rude tourists who seemed to be unable to adjust to Island Time! Shout out to Berthamae and Yvonne (hotel employee). Awesome!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Cindybabyboomer

Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach!
We are always so happy to hear when our guests have enjoyed their stay.
Please visit us again should your travels lead you back to Nassau, Bahamas.

Andrew Tilley,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
The Royal at Atlantis
The Royal at Atlantis
#8 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!