“Quite nice.”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Bayside, New York
“Quite nice.”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Myself and a friend stayed at Melia (booked for Wyndham but no longer had rooms) 5/17 for a week and we thought the staff was fabulous. Prices are higher than what we thought (been to Nassau every year for past 10 years) but overall it was pretty good. Not worth the price for all inclusive. Selections/hours were limited but there are plenty of nearby places to dine. LOVED Subway breakfasts -- who knew? It is a nice enough hotel with a fab staff. The pool area NEEDS MUSIC (a DJ would definitely pick the place up)!!!

Room Tip: Go above 2nd floor (basement).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maureen227
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hello Maureen227,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you to back to Nassau Bahamas.

Andrew Tilley,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Polish first
Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Let me start off by saying...I was really nervous about this resort after reading some of the reviews on here. My husband and I have been to quite a few All Inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. I enjoyed this resort very much and had minimal issues with it. However, I will also add that we love the beach and are not into the loud, "party" atmosphere type of places. I found our vacation to be relaxing, sun-filled, and very enjoyable.

The facts:
RESTAURANTS: There are only 2 restaurants to eat at in the evening (Marketplace - The Buffet and Aqua). We ate at both and they both had delicious food. During the day, you can eat at Marketplace or an oceanside grill.
ENTERTAINMENT: This resort is not a huge Mega resort, so there is limited entertainment in the evenings. Mostly, people hung out at the inside lobby,which was a lot of fun. The nights we were there, they had a live band and a solo artist. Both were very enjoyable...again....don't expect a major event during the evenings. This resort is more on the low key, relaxed side.
ROOMS: The rooms are very comfortable, modern, tastefully decorated, and clean. The beds were very comfortable and the maid service was fantastic. **NOTE** There are no hand towels or washcloths provided in the room, only regular sized bath towels. I knew this ahead of time (by reading reviews) and I brought a washcloth with me.
BEACH: Absolutely gorgeous. This resort is on a beautiful stretch of white sand and calm, turquoise waters. I am a beach person, so I can truly say I was very pleased with this aspect of the resort. Also, the resort offers free use of kayaks, paddle boards, and snorkel masks. There are some rock formations a short ways out into the water, and lots of fish can be seen right in front of the resort. Also, the beach was never crowded, and plenty of lounge chairs for everyone. We never had to wake up early to "reserve" chairs...there was always plenty for everyone.
STAFF: Most everyone at this resort was very pleasant. I would say that the Bahamian people are among the friendliest cultures of all the places in the Caribbean I have visited. They truly go out of their way to make sure everyone is happy. I would not say that service is "SLOW" at this resort....this is simply the island way....the people of the Caribbean are not in a rush....they have a more relaxed way of life. I never once felt like I waited an excessive amount of time for anything. Plus, when you are on vacation, there is no need to be on a time schedule.

The only 1 issue I may have potentially had at this resort was at the front desk. Upon arriving, I went to go check in. We did not wait a long amount of time, and we were able to go to our room right away. However, when I made our reservation, I called the Melia 1-800 number. I specifically told the reservationist that I had to have a KING sized bed. My husband is 6'6" and simply cannot fit into a full size bed and be comfortable. As we were checking in, the person at the front desk told me that the KING size rooms were all full and "sold out". As my 6'6" husband was standing right in front of him, and with some insistence from me and showing him my printed reservation, I explained the situation to him. Luckily one of the female middle-aged managers was close by and heard my concerns. She allowed us to have a King Size Pool View Room (which is what I booked) on the ground floor. The manager said that these rooms on the ground floor were an "upgrade", but she would let us have it at no additional cost. I felt lucky that there happened to be a manager standing nearby, otherwise it could have been a very uncomfortable stay for my husband and I trying to squeeze into a full size bed.

Overall, I would definitely visit this resort again. It was comfortable, clean, with a beautiful beach. My mother and sister travelled with us as well. We are already talking about going back next summer.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank SunGoddess1982
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Hello SunGoddess1982,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our restaurants, exciting entertainment, comfortable guestrooms, beautiful beach, and friendly associates. I will be sure to share your comments with the team as I am sure they will be delighted to hear about the amazing time you had with us.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau Bahamas.

Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Where do I begin, I am a very optomistic person so I was excited to have this opportunity to go to paradise even after reading all of the negative reviews! Little to my surprise I was very dissapointed. This was our honeymoon & 14 year anniversary. We booked a premium ocean view room with a king. We arrived and were given a room with two double beds! They were not willing to correct the room until I threatened to leave then they approched us and said they could fix it the next day! We were there on a 9 day stay. They, and I quote " ONLY GUARANTEE YOUR ROOM NOT THE BEDDING" even though they allow you to book and pay for a king. We stayed in the room with a two double beds the first night and then they made us check out of that room with a 4 hour delay to get into the room we originally booked the next day. The room was nice but lacked wash cloths and hand towels. We asked housekeeping and they did bring them to us.None of the rooms have wifi, you have to go to the lobby to access any internet. None of the rooms have a fridge, and if you want one they are $10.00 per night. Our balcony was quite small and when you sit in the chairs it is a solid white wall that you look at instead of the beautiful view. Some of the front desk staff were nice and others were not so nice. Food is way over priced for the quality of the hotel. It looks like a 5 star hotel but is only a 2 star in my opinion. If you go I highly recommend doing the all inclusive for things are very expensive at the hotel. We ate at the Market place every day for breakfast and highly enjoyed it but they have 3 cats that rome the outside patio and that is not so nice. If you eat inside, make sure you have a sweater or cover up for it is very chilly. Lunch and dinner food was buffet style and was onnly luke warm but cold by the time you get back to your table. If you ask for a glass of Ice water they bring you a bottle of water cause they can charge $3.00 a bottle. For two to eat plan on a minimum of $50.00 at the Market. They add 15% GRATUITY TO ALL YOUR MEALS AUTOMATICALLY. The Aqua resturant is fantastic and you get great service and great food. Anthony was our waiter and was wonderful. Others at the other resturants are not required to be attentive I feel due to them already getting a nice tip. Kuddos to the housekeeping staff and the pool staff. Very friendly and out going people in my opinion. Beach area is not so clean, guests need to be a little more responsible and pick up their trash. The beach chairs are definately worn down. The water and palm trees there are absoultely beautiful. Three of the pools have waterfalls and is very fun to be in. We were somewhat disappointed due to them constantly canceling things in the evening and during the day due to private events. You can take the Jitney bus #10 downtown for transportation for $1.25 each person each way. If given the opportunity to ever go back, Melia will not be my first choice unfortunately.

Room Tip: Most rooms are ocean view so don't pay for the upgrade. Get a room close to the elevator if poss...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Beachfan19
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Beachfan19,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach to share this special occasion. I am sorry that we were unable to meet and surpass your expectations for your stay. We work very hard to ensure all of our are guests leave us with memorable experiences and I am sorry we missed this opportunity with you. We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience, I do hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the resort.

Andrew Tilley,

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The best part about the hotel was that the beach was gorgeous and never crowded. Tons and tons of space to spread out. When we checked in, we were told that the hotel was sold out but it never felt that way. Nothing ever\\ seemed overly crowded. We found beach chairs and cabanas pretty easily each day no matter what time we went outside. The property is obviously in transition mode; they were even painting and fixing things while we were there. There were some public areas of the hotel that did seem a bit run down – staircases, walkways, etc. but the room we stayed in was newly renovated. The service was kind of hit of miss here, there were instances where I was waiting a long time for a drink or whatever, but I chalked that up to the slower island lifestyle. All of the staff was overly friendly and very welcoming even if they weren’t in a big rush to refill your drink.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sarah7644
Hello Sarah7644,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your Bahamas vacation. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights (all inclusive) to celebrate our aniversary and throughly enjoyed the hotel and especially the staff. They treated us fabulously; even had one of the kitchen staff (LaFrance) sing to us in the Aqua restaurant as we enjoyed an excellent aniversary dinner. (LaFrance has an incredible voice!) They pampered us; were responsive to our every request and generally were very pleasant. The O Grille served great basic lunch foods in an outdoor setting. The Market was standard buffet fare but always hot with many selections. The main Lounge/Bar was convenient with super snacks and great drinks. (We met peolple from all over the world and had interesting discussions.) And what can you say about the swim up bar? We used the non-motor water sports equipment and played beach volley ball; everything was included. We definitely will try to return next year. Go to relax and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Tim K
Hello Tim K,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly associates, beach activities and food selections. I am so excited to hear that you plan to return next year we cant wait to welcome you again.

See you soon!

Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Bahamas was great.. I actually felt like I was at home..The locals make you feel very welcomed. The Resort was beautiful. They always had something planned for the guests to do and the view of the beach from my room was breathtaking.

I did encounter a few problems. We would have to call the operator multiple times to get towels and washcloths. When you go to the beach or pool they only give you one towel per beach card and if you lose the card it's a $30 fee. It's also a $20 per night/per person resort fee, but they tell you that when you book the room, but it really doesn't cover anything except the WiFi that you can only use in the lobby or on the beach. Unless you go all inclusive buyng food and drinks there can get a little expensive..

We ate at the fish fry which is a area that has about 25 different places to eat, but the Bahamas grill which is across the street from the Fish Fry was the best place we dined at..You get you money's worth.The food was delicious, the establishment was clean, and the manager Mr.Davis was very nice. He came and talked to me and my friend and took us on a tour of the restaurant..

We really didn't stay in the rooms that much only to sleep..If we needed to find out anything we would ask Kenwood one of the bartenders at the resort. He was always smiling and nice to us. He gave us history about the island, directions to different places, and excursions we should try.

They are doing a lot of construction around the area, but we didn't hear any noise from it.

The bus stops right in front of the resort to take you downtown. The Daiquiri Shack across the street was nice, they also sell food, but only during lunch time.

Overall I had a great time and can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Adrienne J
Hello Adrienne J,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for you Bahamas Vacation. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our associates work very hard to ensure all of our guests feel welcomed and have wonderful experiences and it is always satisfying to hear feedback like yours.

We anticipate your return to us for another memorable vacation. See you again soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I'll keep this as short as possible, since no one wants to read a play-by-play of my entire vactation.The Melia Nassau Beach resort is a very good place to stay. I visited Nassau with two friends, and we really didn't have any serious complaints.
I read in other reviews where the customer service, especially at the front desk, was awful. We did not have this experience at all. We had to visit the front desk a couple of times, and every time we were there, the employees were friendly and helpful. However, I'm sure if they are approached by someone with a terrible attitude, they will reciprocate that.
We did not go on the all-inclusive plan, so we only ate at the buffet one night. It was expensive, but the food/dessert was very good. We ate a few times in the little sandwich shop on the lower levlel, near the casino. They were friendly and helpful, and the food there was really good. The drinks at the outside bar were expensive, but instead of complaining, we just purchased beer/alcohol in the lower-level shop and enjoyed that in our room and on the beach.
I also read many reviews filled with complaints about dirty rooms, etc. We also did not have this problem. We updgraded to an oceanview room, and it was very nice. The only thing I would ask for was a little more balcony furniture, as our room only came with one chair for outside.
The bathroom was clean, the sheets were clean, etc. I saw no mold or wet floors, as I have seen that others have experienced. There is quite a pronounced lip on the door going to the balcony that I saw others complain about, but that is a hurricane-prone area, so that's an obvious help against the massive amount of rain they receive during those times.
The beach in the area was nice, however, people need to stop throwing their trash and cigarette butts in the sand, and throw them in the many trash cans in the area.
The vendors were on the beach, but were not overly-annoying. When they approached us, we politely told them no, and they moved on.
Overall, the resort is nice. We did not experience any of the bad things that others have in the past.

Room Tip: We had an occeanview room on the 6th floor, and had no issues with loud parties, etc.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Sarah R
Hello dsarahb4327,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed our friendly service, buffet, beautiful ocean views. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau, Bahamas.

Andrew Tilley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,702 reviews
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!