“Fantastic Vacation”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I wanted to make sure I wrote a review because me and my wife and an excellent stay at this gorgeous hotel.

The service was top notch. All of the people who worked there were super nice and very friendly. Our room was facing the ocean and we didn't have to pay extra for that. We also met another awesome couple that were given a beach view on the ground level for no extra charge. The beach is really breath-taking. It's in an excellent location. We had such a nice vacation.

I can't see how anyone would write a bad review. The rooms are very fairly priced. If you like to drink I suggest getting the all-inclusive package. All food and booze is taken care of before you check-in.

If you have a chance I highly suggest staying here.

Room Tip: You can ask for a beach view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adamrado
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Hello adamrado,
I am so happy to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful stay. Our associates work especially hard to ensure all of our guests leave us with memorable experiences. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau, Bahamas.

Andrew Tilley

Write a ReviewReviews (5,611)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is my first review ever in life, but I wanted to share our experience hoping it would help someone else. The location is the best. We were the very first stop off of the airport shuttle. Cable Beach is one of the best. The pool and beach area were awesome. This is a big deal for us as we spent most of our time out there. Several of the locals mentioned that Cable beach was the best as well. As mentioned in other reviews, the Melia is new ownership for resort so there are a lot of changes taking place. We liked the rooms...our room was updated with new furniture. They provided a crib for my 9-month old which was great. When booking we thought we purchased the all-inclusive plan, but the front desk told us that it was not inluded in our purchase. The plan was about $140 pp per day to add it. We usually do get ths meal plans at other hotels, but we decided to opt out and WE ARE GLAD WE DID. We ate at the lunch buffet once at $28 per person and it was HORRIBLE. The poolside grill was decent but basic - burgers, fries, chicken tenders and ran about $22 per person. After noticing that the food was not the best we tried the Wyndham next door for Breakfast and we loved it. It was only about $15 per person. For dinner we ate at the local Fish Fry (5 min taxi ride) which has over 15 restaurants at about $15-$20 per person. So if you do the math the all-inclusive plan is not worth it!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return if the prices do not creep up after they complete all upgrades. We did a day pass at Atlantis and are glad that we did not stay there - WAY TOO many people and it does not give you the local feel of the island. It's very commercial.
There is a $2.6 billion hotel underconstruction right next to the Melia. This hotel will be opening in Dec 2014 and will be competing with Atlantis. I'm curious to know how the pricing of the Melia will change based on this.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 505, ocean view and it was great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Marissa P

Hello Marissa P,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay and for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry you did not enjoy our restaurants however I am glad you enjoyed the resort. I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Yes, towels are a real challenge at this hotel, as were things like a room service menu and mini-bar (the latter didn't exist at all). The beach was good, as was the pool, price was very reasonable, but that comes with issues like a slow cleaning service (6pm one day), and towels are kind of special request items (as was the room service menu).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
6  Thank Orn G
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear OrnG,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the tome to write about your experience with us. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences caused due to the issues mentioned. We have brought in more towels and our guests should no longer experience this problem. I hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to give you the memorable vacation you deserve.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Melia just took over the property in December 2013. Hopefully they will update the rooms - I will say even though furniture was old, the rooms were clean, housekeeping did a good job. The location, Cable Beach, is good as there are a few nice restaurants or fast food places you can walk to.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
3  Thank kathleen k
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This property isn't new, it was originally the Sheraton and has only recently been taken over by Melia. I must say that the resort was absolutely lovely! It had a private beach which wasn't too big, nor too small and the service was excellent. While it's far from downtown, it's easy to catch the local bus ($1.25) since it's right outside, and taxis are only about $15 from downtown, $20 from the airport.

The service was really good and the rooms were really nice! I would highly recommend this place to anyone else travelling in Nassau! I spent a day at Atlantis and was much happier that I had chosen Melia, since it was more relaxing and less showy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank smileyfacegrace

smileyfacegrace,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to write about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Andrew Tilley

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We read the TripAdvisor reviews but for the most part part we had minimal complaints. The line at check in was not long, while towels were not always in our room, when requested they arrived within minutes and the beach was great!

We did not do regret not doing the all inclusive because the cost of $149pp per day was more than I'd ever spend on food. There are a few restaurants in walking distance 10-15, a food truck across the street or you take the 10 bus to the fish fry with about 15+ places. O'charleys give you more food than one can or should eat alone. It is about a 10 min ride away for $1.25 each way. With that said we never ate at the restaurants except when I paid $3 for a coke from the bar. Just stop at one of the stores on the way in. There is also a Starbucks which serves premade breakfast and lunch sandwiches.

Pool and beach chairs were plentiful even on a crowded Saturday. They had daily activities kickboxing water aerobics and even a band performed near the pool area.

Pros:
good price for a quick get away when not getting AI package
Friendly staff
basic accommodation were enough since you really won't be in your room all day
Free WiFi in the lobby which extends to the beach and pool area

Cons
hotel needs updating I.e some paint and new furniture
No safe in the room and you have to rent a fridge for $10 per day
Not sure why they charge a $40 per day resort fee because besides WiFi not sure what I'm getting...pool towels maybe?

Overall: Not 4 star or a true A.I resort, but a nice hotel with multiple heated pools, good beach and much cheaper than staying at the Atlantis.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Neaseoul
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Hello Neaseoul,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau, Bahamas.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Upon arrival for our first trip to the Bahamas (4/5-4/12), we were not greeted by anyone and went to check in. The front desk attendant was incompetent and mumbled that her system was showing that we were required to pay at the hotel when we reiterated several times that our trip was prepaid and even showed the travel receipt. She went ahead and charged our card for $1600 and just provided us with a receipt to sign. When reviewing the receipt, my wife and I became very upset and she went to the back to consult with someone for half an hour and finally returned with a manager in order to issue a credit. When reviewing our credit card statement the following day, we noticed that there were additional charges for $1506 and $400 and when speaking with the front desk we were nonchalantly told that we needed to speak with the accountant the next day. After wasting time and stressing on a vacation, the accountant removed the holds and apologized. This was a very unfortunate start to our trip!

We also learned that the all inclusive package did not include top shelf liquor or room service and were disappointed as this was something we never encountered at another all inclusive resort. Fortunately, the drinks on the beach and at the lobby bar were pretty good.

Food choices were very limited for dinner with only one restaurant or buffet to select from (Kendrick and Dendrick were great servers at Aqua!). The outside grill was closed all week. Breakfast was fine and our server Eleanor was lovely. Lunch was decent and it was nice that we were able to order and eat on the beach. All of the beach servers (Monique, Lakendra) were fantastic! With such limited choices for food, vacationing for 7 days became very redundant and unappealing.

Rooms are undoubtedly outdated and need a major face lift however the bed and pillows were comfortable. The stairs from the beach on the west side of the hotel literally look as if they belong in a horror film and need major repairs. Watch your step!

The pools were old and filled with white debris. However, we did luck out with a PERFECT beach! The water is stunning and clear. The resort is situated on the best beach (Cable Beach) and is only 15 minutes away from the airport with no plane noise!

Reading many reviews before booking our trip, we were concerned about the customer service and how outdated this resort is and unfortunately the majority of negative reviews were accurate. There are many employees who are unapproachable, unaccomodating and SHOULD NOT be in the hospitality business. Hopefully with the guidance of new ownership, customer service will improve and be equivalent to other Melia resorts.

We will consider long and hard before we would return to this resort as there is so much potential based on the location and new ownership. However, a change this grand will likely take a few years to make a big difference. Vacationers BEWARE!

Room Tip: Ask for west wing on the third floor for wifi.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Phil D

Phil D,
Please accept my apologies for the disappointments with your recent stay. Our property will be undergoing renovations this year which will include many upgrades and the addition of three new restaurants. We appreciate your comments as they help us to provide the best service to our guests. Please know that your comments have been noted and I will share them with my team for discussion and improvement.

I do hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to gain your confidence in the resort. Thank you for staying with us.

Andrew Tilley,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!