“Nassau Bahama holiday”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just returned from Melia yesterday, April 6th. The resort is showing a little age but was still comfortable, clean, and located well for travel to either side of the island. The rooms look out across the pool area with beautiful views of the ocean and each room has a balcony, chairs, and small table. There are 2 large pools with a swim-up bar. One of the pools was down for maintenance. We only saw one outdoor jacuzzi but it was not operable....too bad since the pool and ocean water temperature was a little chilly (77 degrees F). Outside, there is a large tiki bar, many chaise lounges, and several small tiki-like umbrellas to sit out of the sun. The bar inside is in the cavernous lobby. There are adequate fitness machines and free weights in the fitness center but no sauna or steam room. Valet parking is $10 per day and well worth it....when we called for our car it was always there by the time we got downstairs. The rooms do not come with a refrigerator but you can order one for $10 per day. Ours worked so well that it was freezing our water and milk by the 3rd day. The staff at the hotel were very accommodating and responded to our requests immediately.....we did not receive adequate towels the 2nd day but upon calling the front desk we had them in minutes. One edge of the carpeting in our room was a bit tattered and the faucets in the bathroom were a little loose but this was really nothing that detracted from a wonderful stay. We ate the buffet breakfast two mornings, $25 each, and if you are a large eater it would be well worth it since there was substantial choices. The outdoor seating for the restaurant was charming. We went off-site for lunch and dinner. The hotel connects to the casino by a convenient inside walkway...however, many of the stores along the walkway are closed - there are a few open where you can buy liquor or another ice cream. The casino was pretty vacant. A huge new resort, Baha Mar, is opening next year almost adjacent and proposes to demolish the present casino for a new one. Overall if you are looking for a comfortable long weekend at a reasonably-priced hotel with most options, this is a good choice. If you are looking for posh accommodations, fine dining, extensive spa facilities....book somewhere like Atlantis.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor, room 409. Elevators are at approx. 401 and the ice machine was at 415...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

ckp18f,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had the chance to relax.

I hope you visit us again should your travels lead you back to Nassau.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Just returned from a long over due getaway@Melia. We arrived about 1pm. Checked in but room not ready. Desk said come back @2. We had Lunch at the o grill outside. Well 2pm no room,came back @3pm. No room found some type of hostess said she would check.No room .3:40no room my wife is getting upset.3:45 hostess take us down to a room. Down to a room,surprise upgrade to Royal suite. It's as big as a house. Huge . Wrap around balcony on the second floor amazing ocean views. The rooms well appointed very clean some carpet could use repairs.We had all inclusive. Three restaurants not great variety but everything was good. Only big food disappointment was BBQ night no even good. Inside of hotel in pretty nice shape but out door areas need sprucing up. Hotel staff very nice and polite entertainment so so. Beach and pools very nice. I believe this hotel will have problems when new mega hotel opens

Room Tip: Try for suites
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank threesecons
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hello threesecons,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. Our hotel will be undergoing renovations this year and they will include major upgrades and new restaurants. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My daughter & I stayed at the Melia Nassau from March 31-April 3. I was a little concerned after reading some of the negative reviews, but we were very satisfied with our stay.

I reserved transportation from the airport with Majestic and quickly learned it was more expensive to do this instead of just taking a taxi (about $20-30 total more for both ways). Also, once we were on the bus to the hotel we had to wait for about 30 minutes which was too long & not necessary. So…take a taxi b/c it's cheaper and more efficient.

When we arrived, our check-in was smooth & only took 5-10 minutes. Everyone was pleasant & professional. Our premium ocean view room (811) was clean & had a wonderful view. It was quiet & there we no issues (except a real firm mattress ).

The pool was cold (it's not heated), but it was still wonderful to sit there, listen to music, enjoy some drinks, etc. The beach was perfect! Beautiful water, white sand, not crowded, plenty of chairs, gorgeous views, kayaking, jet skis, parasailing & snorkeling available. We spent a lot of time on the beach.

The food was good, but not great. The breakfast buffet at Marketplace was the best meal; Aqua was by far the worst. The lobby bar had good drinks, nightly music, and tasty appetizers.

After reading some of the complaints, I think many people are just being too picky. This isn't a 5-star resort - yet, but the prices aren't 5-star either. It is definitely a 4-star and well worth the money. I do think Melia is working to make improvements, but we were very pleased & will return.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra money
4  Thank Teresa L

Hello Teresa L,
Thank you for staying with us and for writing such a detailed review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to visit us again. We will be adding new restaurants and upgrades to the resort this year that I'm sure you will love. We can't wait to welcome you!

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

So, I've stayed here before when it was the Sheraton so I was curious to see what was different/better/worse for my long weekend.
I come to the Bahamas, not because I live the island, but because it's a 2 hour flight from NY, is usually the cheapest of options (long weekends for me start on Friday and end on Sunday and really should not cost more than 1200 tops).
First thing I noticed was it all looks he same with a different name slapped on the door. Check in was easy and effective. When this place was the Sheraton check in always too forever for reason I could never understand and always annoyed me.
I was immediately able to get a room and when I told the woman put me as far away from the elevators as possible she complied and checked to make sure I was on walking that far.
Things that made no sense; there's now a bracelet you're suppose to wear around the resort so folks know you belong here. It makes sense to am rig you're on the all inclusive plan , otherwise what's the point when no one checks. The darn thing also gave me a rash so I took. It off immediately.
There's also a towel card - lose the card and you owe them $30. You also only get one towel per card. I work at a large co so I get controlling costs but at a resort this is ridiculous. If you go in the water you do not want to be stuck laying I the same towel you just dried yourself off with. Also some of the towels are ratty and falling apart- there was no upgrade. Really is the most ridiculous thing I've seen.
If it is possible the food is worse and the menu limited. I don't come here for the food and typically just eat at the hotel. When I'm in St. Martin it's a different story but the food here tends to be bad by comparison, even at the restaurants I've been to.
They limited he room service menu so unless you want to eat like a 8 year old don't bother. I are dinner both nights at the. The now have different singers each night which is better than the band that used to be the only entertainment. If you like Spanish music they song some current songs and artists, the others tend to sound like light fm radio.
The bra his clean but there are hardly any umbrellas, just a few straw huts. Good luck getting one unless you're out there at 7am. Red is not a good look and they really need to bring the umbrellas out so there's shade.
The room are the same - modern with something slightly missing the mark to be luxurious. I've been in some crap places so the fact it's clean, has coffee and I can sleep is what I want.
There are no brochures to find out what's happening in the hotel - you'll spend a lot of time calling.
The spa is great - always get my hair done before I leave.
Overall good weekend place .

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank t1997

t1997,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay however I do apologize for any inconveniences caused due to the issues mentioned. I do hope these problems did not cause you to not want to visit us again. We would love to welcome you back. I will be sure to share your comments with my team to make improvements where necessary.

Once again thank you for staying with us,

Andrew Tilley

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a beautiful vacation with another couple at the Melia Resort early this March. We did the All-Inclusive plan, which is surely the way to go (prices otherwise are very expensive). The drinks were great, the service was good and usually pretty quick. The property all-over was very clean, our rooms were clean (it's the first thing I check!) and the staff at the Melia were all very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The housekeepers were sure to say hello in passing and sometimes engaged in brief conversation; they would also replace the water bottles in the room daily, which I thought was great. It would've been nice if they had a stocked mini-bar with a small fridge for those with the All-Inclusive plan.
The resorts beach is well-maintained; the Melia's staff rake the sand, pick up trash and cigarette butts, and organize the lounge chairs daily. The hotel is renovating and you can see its efforts.
The Customer Service made the trip for us. From the moment we walked into the doors to the moment we left and said goodbye to the Melia the staff treated us with respect, courtesy and friendliness. We would like to thank Mr. Paul Cooper, a manager there, for his warm welcoming and greetings. He familiarized us with the facility, the food and beverages. Seeing Paul repeatedly throughout our stay accounted for many happy memories.
We will be back next year!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank The_VIP_Family_Motel

The_Vip_Family_Motel,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your praises with Mr.Cooper, I know he will be happy to hear from you. Its great to know that you will be back and we cannot wait to welcome you and your family again. If you are visiting next year you will be able to enjoy our upgrades and renovations that we will be doing this year!

See you next year,

Andrew Tilley

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Melia is a huge resort about a ten minute drive from the airport. The rooms are clean. The pool is dirty. The food is average. We were trying to stay somewhere close to the airport, and Nassau does not have much of a choice in this area.

3  Thank BrownMary
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Family of 4, Hotel well maintained. Pools and Beach were superb. Staff at front desk friendly, however bar and restaurant staff not so much, but prob typical for Bahamas. No wi-fi access in room available, but it was free in the lobby. That was not a deal breaker for us, because this hotel is a great value.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
3  Thank mulva324

Hello mulva324,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share a review and I hope you visit us again soon.

Andrew Tilley,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!