“A wonderful vacation!”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My daughter & I stayed at the Melia Nassau from March 31-April 3. I was a little concerned after reading some of the negative reviews, but we were very satisfied with our stay.

I reserved transportation from the airport with Majestic and quickly learned it was more expensive to do this instead of just taking a taxi (about $20-30 total more for both ways). Also, once we were on the bus to the hotel we had to wait for about 30 minutes which was too long & not necessary. So…take a taxi b/c it's cheaper and more efficient.

When we arrived, our check-in was smooth & only took 5-10 minutes. Everyone was pleasant & professional. Our premium ocean view room (811) was clean & had a wonderful view. It was quiet & there we no issues (except a real firm mattress ).

The pool was cold (it's not heated), but it was still wonderful to sit there, listen to music, enjoy some drinks, etc. The beach was perfect! Beautiful water, white sand, not crowded, plenty of chairs, gorgeous views, kayaking, jet skis, parasailing & snorkeling available. We spent a lot of time on the beach.

The food was good, but not great. The breakfast buffet at Marketplace was the best meal; Aqua was by far the worst. The lobby bar had good drinks, nightly music, and tasty appetizers.

After reading some of the complaints, I think many people are just being too picky. This isn't a 5-star resort - yet, but the prices aren't 5-star either. It is definitely a 4-star and well worth the money. I do think Melia is working to make improvements, but we were very pleased & will return.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra money
4  Thank Teresa L
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hello Teresa L,
Thank you for staying with us and for writing such a detailed review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to visit us again. We will be adding new restaurants and upgrades to the resort this year that I'm sure you will love. We can't wait to welcome you!

Andrew Tilley,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,879)

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

So, I've stayed here before when it was the Sheraton so I was curious to see what was different/better/worse for my long weekend.
I come to the Bahamas, not because I live the island, but because it's a 2 hour flight from NY, is usually the cheapest of options (long weekends for me start on Friday and end on Sunday and really should not cost more than 1200 tops).
First thing I noticed was it all looks he same with a different name slapped on the door. Check in was easy and effective. When this place was the Sheraton check in always too forever for reason I could never understand and always annoyed me.
I was immediately able to get a room and when I told the woman put me as far away from the elevators as possible she complied and checked to make sure I was on walking that far.
Things that made no sense; there's now a bracelet you're suppose to wear around the resort so folks know you belong here. It makes sense to am rig you're on the all inclusive plan , otherwise what's the point when no one checks. The darn thing also gave me a rash so I took. It off immediately.
There's also a towel card - lose the card and you owe them $30. You also only get one towel per card. I work at a large co so I get controlling costs but at a resort this is ridiculous. If you go in the water you do not want to be stuck laying I the same towel you just dried yourself off with. Also some of the towels are ratty and falling apart- there was no upgrade. Really is the most ridiculous thing I've seen.
If it is possible the food is worse and the menu limited. I don't come here for the food and typically just eat at the hotel. When I'm in St. Martin it's a different story but the food here tends to be bad by comparison, even at the restaurants I've been to.
They limited he room service menu so unless you want to eat like a 8 year old don't bother. I are dinner both nights at the. The now have different singers each night which is better than the band that used to be the only entertainment. If you like Spanish music they song some current songs and artists, the others tend to sound like light fm radio.
The bra his clean but there are hardly any umbrellas, just a few straw huts. Good luck getting one unless you're out there at 7am. Red is not a good look and they really need to bring the umbrellas out so there's shade.
The room are the same - modern with something slightly missing the mark to be luxurious. I've been in some crap places so the fact it's clean, has coffee and I can sleep is what I want.
There are no brochures to find out what's happening in the hotel - you'll spend a lot of time calling.
The spa is great - always get my hair done before I leave.
Overall good weekend place .

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank t1997

t1997,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay however I do apologize for any inconveniences caused due to the issues mentioned. I do hope these problems did not cause you to not want to visit us again. We would love to welcome you back. I will be sure to share your comments with my team to make improvements where necessary.

Once again thank you for staying with us,

Andrew Tilley

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a beautiful vacation with another couple at the Melia Resort early this March. We did the All-Inclusive plan, which is surely the way to go (prices otherwise are very expensive). The drinks were great, the service was good and usually pretty quick. The property all-over was very clean, our rooms were clean (it's the first thing I check!) and the staff at the Melia were all very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The housekeepers were sure to say hello in passing and sometimes engaged in brief conversation; they would also replace the water bottles in the room daily, which I thought was great. It would've been nice if they had a stocked mini-bar with a small fridge for those with the All-Inclusive plan.
The resorts beach is well-maintained; the Melia's staff rake the sand, pick up trash and cigarette butts, and organize the lounge chairs daily. The hotel is renovating and you can see its efforts.
The Customer Service made the trip for us. From the moment we walked into the doors to the moment we left and said goodbye to the Melia the staff treated us with respect, courtesy and friendliness. We would like to thank Mr. Paul Cooper, a manager there, for his warm welcoming and greetings. He familiarized us with the facility, the food and beverages. Seeing Paul repeatedly throughout our stay accounted for many happy memories.
We will be back next year!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank The_VIP_Family_Motel

The_Vip_Family_Motel,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your praises with Mr.Cooper, I know he will be happy to hear from you. Its great to know that you will be back and we cannot wait to welcome you and your family again. If you are visiting next year you will be able to enjoy our upgrades and renovations that we will be doing this year!

See you next year,

Andrew Tilley

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Melia is a huge resort about a ten minute drive from the airport. The rooms are clean. The pool is dirty. The food is average. We were trying to stay somewhere close to the airport, and Nassau does not have much of a choice in this area.

3  Thank BrownMary
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Family of 4, Hotel well maintained. Pools and Beach were superb. Staff at front desk friendly, however bar and restaurant staff not so much, but prob typical for Bahamas. No wi-fi access in room available, but it was free in the lobby. That was not a deal breaker for us, because this hotel is a great value.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
3  Thank mulva324

Hello mulva324,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share a review and I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Let me first start off by saying we booked this vacation to escape the Boston cold for 5 days and 4 nights, we got a great deal through Jetblue and booked only 2 weeks before going. I was nervous after reading negative reviews and was expecting the worse. We also did the All Inclusive which I would recommend as prices seemed high otherwise.

It was a fantastic vacation.....great service, clean, friendly, amazing beach. People are just very picky and if they are expecting 5 stars than stay at Sandals.

Check in no line, super quick, check out maybe one minute wait... Tons of senior staff always walking around and visible.

Clean pools, gorgeous lobby with nice lounge/bar with music every night.

Beach was clean, tons of chairs (yeah do some need repair sure but put a towel on them and they were a beach chair).

Food (we can be picky)....Aqua was terrific for a nicer dinner and they have a separate bar in there. Buffet breakfast was fantastic tons of options from omelet station, waffles, hot and cold food, fruit, energy smoothie, the list goes on. Lunch and dinner choices were great too and we never had to wait. We also don't sit in our room till 9am, we are at breakfast by 7:30am-8:00 and there was never a wait. Outside lunch on beach was nice too and they changed the menu a bit every day.

Bars..pool bar was great, like others have said about a wait we never had one but we also are friendly to them and they were friendly back, we tipped for great service and they appreciated it. We are also firm believers in treat someone how you would want to be treated, we noticed alot of people being rude to staff, etc and those are probably the ones writing negative reviews.

Lobby bar at night was nice, we are in our mid 30s and enjoyed going to dinner and sitting having drinks and people watching while listening to music. The casino right next door was fun too. There is not alot else going on in the area but for us it was perfect as we were there to relax.

The room..we got ocean view (9th Floor) It was modern, clean and housekeeping did a great job. Every day it was clean by 1pm. Sure could the rugs be replaced or were there some scratches on the bed frame ok but come on people!

We would definitely stay here again and we paid for what we expected (actually better). Location is great and the staff could not have been nicer that goes for the whole island. Very safe and clean. The airport is immaculate too being brand new.

If you want a nice getaway that is on a gorgeous beach, nice pools, clean, safe, yummy food for a good value this is the place. It also seemed a great place for families. We did go to Sandals one day from 10am-6pm you can go to the Sandals lobby and get a day pass for $110pp. It includes everything except the room. We stayed at the Sandals Antigua for our honeymoon so wanted to check it out, don't get me wrong it was very very nice and we would go there when we have more money to spend. You pay for what you get but the trip if staying at Sandals would also be 2-3x as much for the cheapest room no view.

Don't hesitate to book the Melia, we will be back!

Room Tip: Book ocean view room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kjanet2001

Hello Kjanet2001,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for sharing you experience. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations. I am also thrilled to see that you plan to visit us again. We cant wait to welcome you back for another enjoyable and relaxing vacation.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

My sister and I recently spent 5 days at the Melia Resort in Nassau and were pleasantly surprised that many of the negative comments from Trip advisor were not an issue for us. We spent only 10 minutes in checking in and out and did not encounter the long lines we had read about. It was a very enjoyable experience not only because of the marvelous scenery, beach amenities and mostly friendly staff (only exception was at the desk where the clerk was abrupt )but also because of the dining experiences. Food is good but somewhat expensive so we compensated by enjoying the lavish breakfast buffet and then buying cheaper items in the grill near the pool and also appetizers at the bar lounge in the lobby. e.g. chicken wings, spring rolls If you have a chance to drive to outside restaurants it will also save on food expense.
It was true that there were no wash cloths in the room but someone came to the door at 8 P.M. to deliver some. We had brought our own as a result of reading Trip Advisor comments.
One thing missing from our room was a book outlining the Hotel services and how to access them. The desk clerk said this was in preparation but not in place due to the transition to the new owners -Melia. All told we would certainly recommend this resort for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: High floor near the elevator if mobility is an issue since halls are long.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Catharine C

Hello Catharine C,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I am glad you found your time with us to be enjoyable and relaxing. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau.

Andrew Tilley,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
The Royal at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!