“Comfortable and beautiful”

Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
New York City
“Comfortable and beautiful”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The hotel is located right on Cable Beach which gives you direct access to one of the world's most beautiful beaches! Unlike some resorts where you have to walk a bit from your room to get to the sand, this beach is practically right at your doorstep. The sand is extremely clean and white and the clear, blue water is two feet deep way out into the ocean!
Other than the great beach, I can't say much else regarding the actual resort. It's clean, beautiful and the staff are friendly but that should be the bare basics to any resort, yes?
I personally thought the food they served was disgusting and overpriced. Minus one star.
However, downstairs you will find a smaller shop that sells well priced snacks, sandwiches, ice cream, beef / chicken patties etc. I have heard many guests say that they wouldn't know what to do with their meals had it not been for this shop because the hotel food is so over priced. Now if you're going to charge a ton for food, at least prepare it well!

Right across the street you will find a daiquiri stand that makes their daiguiri's with fresh fruit and only for $7! They serve it in a huge cup vs the tiny plastic $9 watered down they serve at the bar in the hotel.

In addition to being across the street to the best daiquiris I've ever tasted, the #10 bus also drives right past the hotel giving you easy access to both the Fish Fry as well as the downtown area. Bus fare is $1.25 per person. Have exact change.

Lastly, I left my brand new Uggs ($200 US) when I checked out of the hotel. I was devastated for so many reasons that I will not get into. After several calls to the hotel, I was finally able to have the Uggs sent back to me after 2 weeks providing that I gave the hotel a FedEx Account number.
I am extremely grateful to Rodney Smith and Stephanie Leadon for their assistance and am happy to see that the hotel has such great staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LilChubbs
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
LilChubbs,
Thank you for staying with us and writing about your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our team for discussion and improvement. I will also be sure to share your praises with the staff members you have mentioned.

Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Andrew Tilley,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
  • Polish first
redsox
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have been to over 60 countries and have stayed at over 30 all inclusive resorts in my short 35 years on this planet and the Melia Nassau is by far the worst All Inclusive I have ever stayed in. The Melia brand should be embarrassed to have this property in their portfolio.

We were there from 3/7 - 3/12/14... Check in was actually easy, no line. We had to wait 30 minutes (several times, so more like 3 hours) but there was no wait when we initially got there which is different from other reviews.

- The service is the worst I have ever seen. The bartenders literally ignore the guests. It is NOT uncommon to wait 20+ minutes for a drink. They literally make NO eye contact and act like you don't exist. It is a very strange feeling - one time I was there for 33 minutes and said "excuse me, can I please have a beer" the response was "wait your turn man" ... I walked away.

- The room are very basic, the room we were in (602) had a huge rip in the carpet, first think you see upon entering the room.

- The food is an absolute joke. There is one restaurant that is not a buffet, it is only open for dinner and the food is horrible. There is a buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast was decent. If you don't have an all inclusive plan just eat at the on site Starbucks, someone from Starbucks should start serving dinner there, they would make a killing. Every night you would see people walking around with Dominoes Pizza boxes - it was THAT bad.

- The worst part about it was the service and the staff. Melia needs to fire every employee and completely revamp their staff. Close down for a week, train the staff on how to treat guests and re open. I went to my room on the 3rd day to shower, as I was approaching my room (at 3:00pm) the housekeeper was just getting to cleaning it. I asked her for 15 mins so I could freshen up to go into town. She told me she had to go to other floors and it was now or never. She said she would clean my room while I was in the shower.... Strange, but wanted to get the room cleaned.

You can't beat the beach - maybe see if you can bring a tent and a cooler and just never step foot inside that hotel....

Happy to give any more info if you would like it, just ask!

Room Tip: Tent on the beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank bosguy78
bosguy78,
Please accept my apologies for your disappointments with your stay. Please expect a personal message from someone on our Guest Experience Team to speak with you further.

Boylston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I are big fans of Melia properties, and hopefully, someday this one will live up to their reputation. First, the things we loved; our room (Romance Suite) was very spacious, clean, great balcony with a wonderful view, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The grounds were nicely kept, loved the pools and waterfalls, and of course the beach. The staff was very friendly, and really couldn't have been nicer.
Some of the things that need to happen here, and probably should have before they put their name on this hotel....more choices for food, the buffet is pretty good actually, the one upscale restaurant-Aqua, was really good one night and really, really disappointing the next. The bars-they need more, there are only two and one closes at 6:00 P.M. You can only imagine how crowded the lobby bar is in the evening, and how difficult it is to be waited on. The entertainment was limited to the crowded bar and was difficult for many to enjoy. There is a lot of space that is not being used here, and they could easily take care of both of these shortcomings.
One other thing that I would mention is the long check-in lines, a real need to speed up this process. Being a Melia rewards member, other hotels have had a private lounge for check-in, making dinner reservations, printing boarding passes etc. Another easy upgrade. Also, we were told that we would be able to use our points at the hotel for upgrades etc., but they said they weren't equipped to do that.
I also have to mention, the signing of receipts for everything at the bars/restaurants. They said it was temporary, and I certainly hope that is the case. There is no way you should have to wait (sometimes, a very long wait) to sign for drinks, food, even a bottle of water, and an all inclusive resort-very frustrating!
I guess we took a chance going to a resort that had so recently been purchased, and, for the money, it still was a decent deal. One good thing was that it made for some interesting conversations as to what we would do and how we would improve the resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank robbie006
robbie006,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your stay. As you do know we are just three months into our big turnover and we are working continuously to improve our guests experience with us. We are starting renovations this year and there will be two new restaurants and many upgrades to look forward to.

Thank you for your business.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We booked this trip on cheap carribean.com and got an inexpensive all inclusive deal. We got exactly what we expected. Decent room. Great beach. Blah food. Customer service varied but tended to be lacking. Pools could have been cleaner. Luckily more families and couples then sprints breakers. Would have loved more activities since there's not a lot to do on island. Concierge desk seems put out when we asked them about local restaurants or how to get to the straw market. Cab drivers never spoke to us. Casino next door was kind of sad. Did love the free rentals of beach stuff - snorkel, kayaks, paddle boat that was offered.

All anyone could talk about was the new Bama towers coming in. It will definitely change the vibe of Cable Beach.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mehmeh3
Mehreen B,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay on the beautiful island of Nassau, Bahamas. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay and I hope you visit us again soon as we are continuing to add more fun and exciting activities for our guests on our itinerary.

Andrew Tilley,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I never really look forward to my business trips to the Caribbean because of how it seems like everyone is trying to scam tourists. There are only a few spots in the Caribbean that are worth visiting in my book...Nassau is not one of them. And this hotel did not help me appreciate Nassau any more than I previously did.

The dining options are limited and pricey like any typical tourist trap resort. We called the day before our arrival to see if our rate was an all inclusive rate since someone else had made the reservations for us at work. We were told that our rate was not all inclusive and to add it would be $70 per room per day. We declined to add the all inclusive package at that time and to check again upon check in. When we arrived and asked again about adding the all inclusive package to our rate, we were quoted $140 per room per day. Ahhh, the joys of Caribbean bait and switch. So as to not make the bean counters at the home office freak out, we again declined the all inclusive rate and figured we would make due on our measly $90 per day of per diem.

The beach and the pool areas were actually pretty nice and very clean so no complaints there.

There is not much near the hotel food or shopping wise. The supermarket, Burger King, Subway, Domino's and Dairy Queen are a short 10-15 minute walk down the road and there are some shops across the street peddling stuff. Just take the jitney into town for $1.25 one way. It stops right in front of Melia at the base of the stairs and stops running around 6:30-7:00 PM. After that, expect to pay $15-$20 for a one way cab ride somewhere.

My real gripe with this place was how we were told the day before we were to checkout that we could check out late at a rate of $20 per hour after 12:00 PM up until 6:00 PM. After 6:00 PM, a full nights charge would apply. We did not have to report for duty at the airport until 6:30 PM and decided we would check out at 5:00 PM, get something to eat and then head to the airport. When I went to the front desk on the morning of our departure to get late check outs for our rooms, like we were told to do, we were denied. I told the manager that I called the day before and asked about checking out late and how I was told that I needed to stop by the front desk to sign a form authorizing miscellaneous charges in the amount of $20 per hour for a late check out. She said they were sold out and that they could not accommodate any late check outs. Then why would they tell me the day before that they could? I understand that sometimes rooms get all booked up at the last minute but all the manager said was that they were sold out. I'm curious as to when they knew they would be sold out. Had I known sooner that they were going to be sold out, alternate arrangements could have been made for us to stay somewhere until we were to report for duty.

All in all, this was just another hotel for me to stash my stuff and sleep while on a trip. For a Caribbean hotel, though, Melia was very clean. That impressed me more than anything. However, when I travel to Nassau, I like to stay at the British Colonial Hilton in downtown Nassau when it's available. It is much better and more highly recommended in my book. I give Melia 2.75 stars.

Room Tip: If having internet access is important to you, make sure you get a room close to the lobby or facing...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank waveoff
waveoff,
I am sorry you did not leave us with a memorable experience. We appreciate your comments and we continue to use them to ensure guest satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future and get the chance regain your confidence.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I (in our early 30's - no kids, but 4 months pregnant) stayed Thursday - Monday - 3/6 to 3/10. It was a nice getaway - easy 2 hr. flight from Atlanta. 15 mins from Airport ($20 cab ride - don't pay more). The hotel is in a great location - beautiful beach, and fantastic views. We had a premium oceanview room, but it looks like the majority of rooms on the 3rd floor or higher (there are 9 floors total) have some sort of oceanview. This is b/c the beach winds around near the hotel, so even if you're overlooking the pool from the side or overlooking the city, there's a reasonable chance you'll have a good view of the ocean b/c it's not just 'behind' the hotel - the beachfront curves around so it can be seen from many vantage points. Not sure you need to get the full oceanfront view - and even if you do, there are some that are better than others - the ones closest to the elevator are best - which usually end in a low number (18 or below is a safe bet, although we had 926 and the view was fine - but the lower the last 2 numbers, the better your view IMO). We got the all-inclusive - the food is way overpriced so if you don't do all-inclusive, you'll pay way too much if you order any food from the hotel. Breakfast buffet was the best meal of the day. Lunch on the beach was ok - not bad but it got old after 4 days. If you like burgers and hot dogs, though, you'll be fine - but we don't eat beef so our options were a little limited. Dinner buffet is ok and the Italian restaurant is also ok - not bad if you're on the all-inclusive. The restaurants feel a little dead at night. And there's really no entertainment except for the lobby bar which has live music every night - but it's always packed and hard to get a seat. Melia isn't a true 'resort' with a nightly show like you may see at other hotels. And the casino is dead - no live dealers - you have to go to Atlantis for a real casino. There's plenty of slots though and they have electronic blackjack and roulette w/a tv screen w/a dealer on it - even though it's fake it's better than nothing. It's a $20-25 cab ride to Atlantis - about 20-25 minutes. The rooms were fine - no complaints. If you want a covered umbrella at the beach, you have to get down there and lay out towels by 7:30am at the latest. And remember to ask for towel cards when you check in - nobody gave us these and we had to go back down and get them, which was a hassle. Also try to get as much as you can done at the concierge desk b/c the line at the front desk is usually very long. Daquiri shack across the street is terrific - $6 drinks, fresh fruit, and they have food too - very inexpensive. There's maybe 1-2 other restaurants within walking distance - but we didn't go since we had the A.I. - I saw a thai place a few blocks away. Overall, it's a nice beach hotel - beautiful beach, sand, water, and the hotel is nice enough. I would probably try out a new place if I came back - but liked Melia nonetheless. Just don't expect the world - service is decent, people are nice, hotel is nice, but nothing is extravagant or over the top except for the view.

Room Tip: Floors 3-9 - try to go with the lower numbers like 406, 702, etc. - for a straight-forward beach vie...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RB8227
RB8227,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We love to hear from our guests because this helps us to continue to better our services. I am glad to know that you found your stay enjoyable.

I hope you decide to visit us again as we have renovations starting this year and I am sure you will love the upgrades we have planned for the hotel.

New Orleans
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I just returned last week from this resort. The property looks exactly like the pictures. The beach is beautiful, and the grounds are well kept. Other reviewers stated that the rooms were in need of renovation but I didn't notice that. My room was clean, large enough, and all of the amenities were working, the ocean view was, indeed, an ocean view. Check-in was quick and efficient, with the room ready early. The food here was absolutely terrible! Most items were tasteless and bland. My sandwich and coffee from Starbucks tasted wonderful compared to the hotel's other restaurants. The service(other than check in) was really slow and, at times, rude. It could take as long as 30 minutes to get a cocktail, and another 30 to pay for it. I would not return here because compared to other similar places, this resort lacks what one should receive for the price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Fishfreakish
Guest Experienc... M, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Fishfreakish

Thank you for taking the time to share you candid feedback from your recent experience at Melia Nassau Beach.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our resort situated on a tropical paradise of turquoise waters and white sand beaches.

Despite these highlights, I was truly disappointed to learn of the service lapses that you experienced during your special stay. I am deeply sorry for the time you spent waiting for a cocktail and for the apparant rude attitude of some of our staff. I can certainly understand how this did not live up to your expectations. I am also disheartened that we were unable to satisfy your taste at any of our restaurants.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the less than professional service provided to you by our team members. I am terribly sorry that we were not able to provide you with efficient solutions or guidance based on your needs and that you felt our resort did not deliver what you had expected for what you had paid.

Andrew Tilley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!