“Both good and bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
New Orleans
“Both good and bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I just returned last week from this resort. The property looks exactly like the pictures. The beach is beautiful, and the grounds are well kept. Other reviewers stated that the rooms were in need of renovation but I didn't notice that. My room was clean, large enough, and all of the amenities were working, the ocean view was, indeed, an ocean view. Check-in was quick and efficient, with the room ready early. The food here was absolutely terrible! Most items were tasteless and bland. My sandwich and coffee from Starbucks tasted wonderful compared to the hotel's other restaurants. The service(other than check in) was really slow and, at times, rude. It could take as long as 30 minutes to get a cocktail, and another 30 to pay for it. I would not return here because compared to other similar places, this resort lacks what one should receive for the price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Fishfreakish
Guest Experienc... M, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Fishfreakish

Thank you for taking the time to share you candid feedback from your recent experience at Melia Nassau Beach.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our resort situated on a tropical paradise of turquoise waters and white sand beaches.

Despite these highlights, I was truly disappointed to learn of the service lapses that you experienced during your special stay. I am deeply sorry for the time you spent waiting for a cocktail and for the apparant rude attitude of some of our staff. I can certainly understand how this did not live up to your expectations. I am also disheartened that we were unable to satisfy your taste at any of our restaurants.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the less than professional service provided to you by our team members. I am terribly sorry that we were not able to provide you with efficient solutions or guidance based on your needs and that you felt our resort did not deliver what you had expected for what you had paid.

Andrew Tilley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,117)
  • Polish first
Drayton Valley, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

So we were very worried about going to this resort after the reviews we read. My choices were Bahamas or Riveria Maya for the price point. With that in mind we took the all inclusive pkg and glad we did or we would have spent a fortune on food. Not ALL hotel guests are on this pkg so how can they tell if they need to charge a guest? So its too bad but you do have to sign a check every time you eat or order a drink (which always made me nervous I thought I would possibly be charged for some of it at the end, I was not and it all worked out fine.)

Negatives: The beach/pool chairs have seen better days. We were in a ground floor to begin with and it had serious mold issues, they changed us immediately and upgraded us to an ocean view.

Positives: The beach is amazing!! The food is fantastic! Keep in mind "american" food not the best but, the jerk chicken, curried chicken, fish (I dislike seafood!) all desserts breakfasts all very good! I loved being able to take a bus and go anywhere for $1.25. And the busses are a great way to see the people of the Bahamas.

I really liked the fact everyone speaks english, the currency is not an issue and the people are so friendly it doesn't feel like they are trying to rip you off like in Mexico. I felt very safe we went to a place called the Twisted Lime for Super Bowl with alot of locals and had a great time with great food.

We ran into some local guys that live down the beach past the public beach/park they have a little party boat/pontoon boat, they took us out for the day fishing snorkling and to see some of the little islands. We had a blast so beautiful and relaxing! They were very reasonable $50 pp for the day.

We also did Atlantis for the day not really impressed by that it was more like Vegas. Very pretty but very artificial I prefer the real island experience.

So I would love to have stayed at Sandals but that wasn't in the budget this year so Melia was a good choice for the price. I don't spend anytime in my hotel room expect to sleep. So for us the beach is the most important part and that was amazing.

Next time because, I will never go back to Mexico (been to all the major resort destinations in 5 start accommodations) I will be back to the Bahamas hopefully with the kids in which case we will do a VRBO because the cost of food. If the Melia still has good rates at that time I would definitely come back to this property. FYI - We paid $1700 pp incl taxes and flights from Edmonton Alberta.

Half your vacation is attitude, I saw alot of people freaking out over having to sign a bill come on people you are on vacation relax have some rum, enjoy the veiw and have a good time. They do not have the constant entertainment and night life so be aware of that if thats what you like Atlantis might be more your style.

Room Tip: Do not take a ground floor room they must flood every year cause they are full of mold :(
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Cabo_kid77
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Cabo_kidd77,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for your stay. I am happy to know you enjoyed your time with us and we cant wait to welcome you again with your family. How old are your children? We have a wonderful Kids & Co. program for ages 5-12 that I'm sure they will love.

See you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Me and my BFF traveled to Nassau, Bahamas for the first time near the end of February. We had read about the horrible wait times at check-in and man oh man!!!! We got to the hotel at about 5pm and stood in line for slightly over an hour in jeans and a t-shirt which was totally irritating. I think I would have been less irritated if I had been offered a cold complimentary beverage and a cold towel possibly. Or maybe, given a number and allowed to sit in the lobby area and wait. We were given a small compensation for the wait which we appreciated. We checked the line different days at different times and only saw the loooong lines maybe 2 other times within the 5 days we were there.

The Lobby is nice with a bar area and right down the stairs was a Starbucks. Yeah! On the lower level heading toward the Casino there are other little shops like a tobacco/liquor store and an ice cream parlor as well as the spa.

Our Bellman Shawn or maybe Sean, who took us to our room, was very friendly and made some suggestions for things to do while there.

According to the front desk we had been given a room upgrade due to our long wait. The room we received was great! I thought it was roomy and I appreciated the bathroom being slightly down a short hall. The room was very clean, up to date and comfortable. The balcony was huge with 2 wicker type chairs, a table and a beautiful ocean view. I have absolutely no complaints here!

We had done an all-inclusive option for our stay. The front desk had given us a letter explaining the all-inclusive feature which I didn't read. I have done all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean plenty of times so who needs to read that???? All-inclusive is ALL inclusive right? LOL!!! Wrong! All-inclusive DOES NOT include top shelf liquor. Huh? Ok, strike one. Why wouldn't include all liquor?

My next issue with this all-inclusive plan is that you have to sign a check for every meal and every drink. Strike two. I guess I kind of understand since not all guest are all-inclusive but what is the use of wearing the stupid band (please upgrade the bands from paper) if I'm still signing everything all day and night? And I also have issue with them automatically including a 15% gratuity to all checks. I have worked in the service industry before so I understand the tipping issue HOWEVER half of the service I received did not warrant 15% gratuity and I believe automatically adding it does not drive the waiters/bartenders to provide excellent customer service. For those that did, I left them a cash tip since my gratuity was included in my all-inclusive deal.

This leads me to the staff. I didn't find them very friendly. I wouldn't say not friendly at all just not overly friendly. I mean most of them said hello in passing some did not. The bartenders were all nice for the most part. Shout out to Perry and Bobby Kelly at the pool bar. The waitresses walking the beach and pool were all very nice and I appreciated them even though my drinks never came back quite right! LOL! The dining room staff left a little to be desired. The towel guy was really nice. We met Lifeguard Sidney who was VERY nice, funny and informative about things to do or go see. We really appreciated him answering questions for us. If there was any entertainment staff, I didn't meet any of them which I thought odd.

The resort itself is pretty laid back. There is music that plays at the pool during the day but the night time activities are kind of boring. There is only the lobby bar open at night. The few nights we were there they had live music but no dancing anywhere. I guess if you want to party then you have to leave the resort. One night they did have karaoke at the pool bar which was fun they should do that more often!

The food was decent. We only ate at the buffet and at each meal we found something delicious and something not so delicious! LOL!

The pools are nice and I looooved the beach! The beach is beautiful with soft, fine sand. If you want a tiki hut on the beach or an umbrella at the pool you have to get up early to get one! But there are plenty of chairs so if you are not an early riser you can still find somewhere to lay out.

So was this the trip I had imagined? Not quite, but it was very relaxing, I did not starve to death and had some drinks! LOL!

I believe Melia took this resort over in December 2013 and they still have some kinks to work out. So I would be willing to try this resort again maybe later in the year or in 2015.

Hope this helps some!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank NikNak312
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
NikNak312,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad you had a good time but disappointed that we were not able to provide you with the memorable experience you expected.

Please know that we appreciate your comments and know that we use our guests comments to provide better service to our guests. I will be sure to share your praise with the staff you have mentioned.

We are a new resort and we continue to work hard to get the Melia Nassau Beach up to the standard that our Melia guests know and love. We hope that you will visit us again after we have completed our renovations so that you can enjoy our new restaurants and amenities.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed 4 nights. The resort was fine, lovely rooms, great beach and pools. When we had a problem in the room it was fixed immediately. The only problem was the food/restaurant service. It was awful. Too much waiting: waiting on line looking at tables that needed to be cleared, waiting for coffee or condiments until after finishing a meal, waiting to sign a check even though we were all inclusive. Not well organized and the staff looked unhappy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlSo22
AlSo22,

I am happy to hear that you liked our guestrooms, beach and pool. I am also glad to know that the issue in your room was resolved right away. We are continuing to work with staff to ensure that all of our guest receive the quality service they deserve.

Thank you for sharing your comments and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Best Regards,

MCLEAN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel is so well located on a private beach. It is a bit far from the city center but busses run by the hotel every 10 min. The staff is helpful, rooms are clean and comfy. The only suggestion I would make would be to have more unbrellas at the beach. Not enough for so many people. apart from that, everything is good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Gloria A
Hello Gloria A,
Thank you for staying with us! We are glad to know that you enjoyed your time here. Our staff work very hard to make sure that all of our guests have a memorable experience. You will be happy to know that we are in the process of bringing in more umbrellas for our beach. I hope we have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Belmont, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We arrived a day late, due to Winter Storm somebody or other. We would have made Nassau by 1pm, but the pilot didn't show for that trek. Anyway, making to the Melia at 11am the next morning, I fully expected to wait the hours and hours as people had listed. There were about 3 in front of us. Room not ready, but hey, check in is at 4pm. Proceeded to make a day bag in the lobby, when Cindy advised or room was done! 955, top floor west bldg. Wanted East Building, but no matter. Room was very clean, yes some plaster is cracked, the floors are a little ragged, but you can see the active upgrades happening around the hotel. Bathroom appeared modern and clean, although the fan didn't work. We were banded for AI, unloaded and headed for lunch and a cocktail. Both Yvonnes', pool bar and lobby bar work very hard, so does Dwayne, Kenneth, Elle, Moses, Norma, Robert, Dianne and Phillip. The staff works till late in the night, and double backs for breakfast shift. Give them a little slack if their tired. We found by meeting people, calling them by name, realizing their work load made all the difference. Tips do help. Always TIP EVERYONE, no matter where you go. Yes, I saw guests Yelling at staff for length of time to receive service. Yes, I saw the long check in lines. Yes, we had to sign for every drink and food. Found the buffets to be as nice as many. Aqua was very nice as well, we were allowed to each there as often as we wanted. Some resorts only allow the "Gourmet" restaurant one time per week. Dave was a great life guard and very friendly. The staff tried hard to keep the pools clean. We watched the architects review the grounds one day, so maybe in the reno they will get shrubbery around the pools that doesn't shed as much. Cons: Linens. We could get 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels, or 2 bath towels and 2 washcloths, but no mix of hand towels and wash cloths. The cleaning lady advised she simply didn't have them available from laundry, not her fault. Other than the crying babies, and Spring breakers, the stay was pretty nice.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a large V shape. so most rooms are ocean view. However, I can see how the view wou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BoatLadyDi
BoatLadyDi

I would love to have the pleasure to meet you, should you ever return to Melia Nassau Beach. I appreciate your viewpoint and would love to thank you in person for sharing it with others on Trip Advisor. I will share your praise with those you mentioned. Recognition goes a long way and helps us continue to deliver great service.

Thank you.

Jacksonville, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

This resort needs a lot of up dating, we went through 5 rooms before getting one we would stay in. Everything from exploding light bulbs in lamps, stretched out rippled carpet, stained furniture, to ocean view rooms that you could see nothing but part of the pool and landscape. The service was a negative 3 from the start. When we arrived there were 3 service staff at the door and entrance. We got out of the van, got our luggage carried it up the steps, opened the door for ourselves and went inside, never once did they welcome us or offer to help. Check in as described above was no better, and one lady was helping and gave me another key to go look at the 2nd room and when I got back to tell her that wouldn't work I was told she went to lunch. The restaurants were no better most of the staff acted as if we were putting them out by asking them to do there job. We seem to get this same impression around all of Nassau. At the markets and shops they would tell you that you needed to help them out and buy something as if they were a charity case, as opposed to someone who enjoyed there job and proud of the products they had to sell. If this is what the Bahamas have to offer I will stick with Mexico (Riviera Mia area)

Room Tip: We finally ended up in the Pres. Suite which was good. None of the Romance Suites we looked at (whi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mrfixit2963
mrfixit2963,

Thank you very much for your comment. We are disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for failing to provide you with the quality experience that you deserved. You had every right to expect only the best and we are saddened to hear that we were unable to your make vacation special for you.

At Meliá Nassau Beach, we pride ourselves in providing exceptional customer service. It is our philosophy to exceed expectations. If you would be so kind, please contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to a member in our Executive Office. We would welcome the opportunity to personally listen to your concerns and ensure your satisfaction.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Andrew Tilley

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,593 reviews
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!