“Check your credit card” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Burlington, Canada
“Check your credit card”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Checked out after average week of poor service and worse food. Only thing nice about hotel is location and beach. Main reason writing review is the scam they tryed to pull, charged my credit card 600 even though I checked out with zero balance. Front desk refused to give print out showing this balance. After several calls to hotel via travel agency hotel credited my visa, problem is with exchange rate I still lost 50.00. Hotel would not return email requests. Fyi be careful of how this place operates. Sadly not the Sheraton any longer.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DHAudi
Guest Experienc... M, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
DHAudi

I wanted to follow up with you about your credit card issues. If there was no stated charges on your final bill (zero balance) It sounds like a hold for amenities/damage deposit, although $600 is quite excessive for such unless you were with us for an extended period of time. The only concern is why your bank would charge $50 if the amount mentioned was just a hold and not a physical charge. Please contact me at your convenience. I understand the frustration you experienced as we are just a frustrated that we could not build a satisfied guest.

Looking forward to your contact,
Andrew Tilley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,117)
  • Polish first
Ockendon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Fantastic hotel in a great beach side location. Although quiet at this time of year the weather was lovely. Nice size rooms with a sea view. A very good selection of food was available and I could not fault the service from the staff. Will defo be going back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Sduke22
We can not wait to have you back Sduke22,

Happy to hear you enjoied your stay!

Dix Hills, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

The best part was the prime location on Cable Beach. The bonus part was finding a Starbucks inside where we were able to grab a quick breakfast before heading poolside. Everything else about this place was just mediocre to poor.
First off I would not consider it a "resort". It is simply a hotel. 3 star at best. We stayed for one week and the only activity I saw offered at the pool was a bingo game 1 day and beach volleyball which I'm not sure was even an organized activity. There is a swim up bar but it really wasn't popular like other actual resorts I have stayed at in the past.
Speaking of swimming, I should mention the pool water was not chlorinated, but rather salt water treated. I'm not sure if that had a bearing on the surface scum that was a constant gross reminder of vacationers and their sunscreen application, but it was really disgusting! I'm not used to parting the seas, so to speak, to clear a path to walk through. But that is what I felt was necessary. And seeing all that (what I'm assuming was) sunscreen on the pool coping was also quite gross.
They offer an all inclusive plan which might be an option to consider if you like to drink a lot on vacation. With obligatory tax and gratuity, one Pina Colada cost $13. The food is equally expensive. The prices at the poolside restaurant for lunch were shocking! There are 2 options for dinner, one is an Italian Restaurant and the other a buffet. Both are outlandishly expensive and not very good at all. We chose not to do the A.I. and were very happy with our decision, as there are SO many fabulous and delicious places to dine on the island.
The Housekeeping staff seemed to be the friendliest out of all the staff, always offering a pleasant hello, although for some reason it was hit and miss on how many towels were got each day, if any. The beds were comfortable, no complaints there. The rooms are fairly small, but when we're on vacation we don't spend that much time in the actual room so I can overlook that. However, to not be able to fit 2 chairs on a balcony, seems a little silly to me.

Now...my 2 major complaints:

1. There seems to be a number of cats dwelling on the property. I saw them and they seem to be friendly enough. What I take issue with is having to see or step over cat droppings while I am on vacation. This occurred more than once by the towel hut. I do think management needs to address this issue.

2. Every room seems to overlook the pool area in some fashion. That being said...on the final night of our visit there was a poolside Caribbean party scheduled. The trees looked festive in lights and there was a very loud band playing till 1am. Yes, you heard me right.....1am. At 10:30pm we called to complain and were told we were not the only ones. We had planned to go to sleep at 9pm because we had a very early morning flight home. The flight happened. The sleeping didn't.
To add insult to injury, at check out that next morning we asked to speak to a manager and were told their was none on duty till 8am. That shocked me that a RESORT would not have someone in management on duty 24 hours a day to address guest complaints and to ensure they are satisfied before leaving their RESORT.
I would go back to the Bahamas, but I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Lowers floor seem to pick up the wifi from the lobby better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Amy K
Amy K,
Thank you for the review however I wanted to share that we offer fitness activities every day around 11:00am, from Zumba to Aqua Aerobics. We offer energy for life classes which teach a master craft such as straw weaving, junkanoo dolls, cartoon drawing, etc... All this generally is offered around 4pm each afternoon. We have live entertainment in our Esta Vida Bar located in the lobby nearly every night. Our non-motorized water sports are available, free to use, at any given point in the day. We rotate games each day, from bingo to karaoke. We often play outdoor movies, weather permitting. I am uncertain how you may have missed these opportunities but am sad to hear you were unable to enjoy our property. For future guest, I would encourage everyone to check with our Guest Service team for our weekly calendar of events and activities. It is our goal to build the best experience possible for each of our guest.

Andrew Tilley

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our flight got cancelled, so we got a voucher for a free room; we paid for the upgrade to the suite. We received an Oceanfront suite, which was gorgeous. The rooms were totally updated, but the housekeeping left a little to be desired. The plug was out of the tub, obviously the housekeeper knew the tub wasn't properly draining, but didn't tell maintenance. We took showers in 3 inches of water in the tub, and it took a half hour to drain after. The adjoining suite was cleaned "top to bottom" in about 4 minutes flat, and it wasn't really clean. The door to the next suite was broken, it wouldn't latch at all, so we placed the table in front of it and called the front desk 3 times to have it fixed, but no one ever came. The service was sub-par for a place that charges so much for rooms. I would have been really upset had we paid the rack rate for the room. You waited and waited for service at the breakfast restaurant; my husband waited for 20 minutes for pancakes, (after he reminded the cook twice about them).
The food was pretty good, we got room service and it was great. The breakfast was "ok", again, if we had to pay for it--at about $30pp, we wouldn't have been too happy.
We called and asked for a late check out, and were given to 12:30 without charge. I was never told we had to get our room key reprogrammed after 11am; so going back to the room to get showered for our flight, we were locked out. I walked to the front desk, only to wait in line for FORTY minutes to get my key reprogrammed. I am thinking this is totally unacceptable--again--I am glad I didn't pay a lot for my stay (a man in front of me waited for 40 minutes also, and had to give the hotel $2,000 for his stay); they had 3 clerks checking people out--on a Sunday. People were totally irate.
I heard that they are going to be part of the Baha Mar going in next door; this may be their saving grace.
It was a beautiful hotel and had a lot of good points, but also a lot of bad. If you're paying full price, I think you'll have to do a lot of complaining to get things right.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade to the suite! Spectacular!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank annasmom73
Guest Experienc... M, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
annasmom73
I hope all is well back in New Hampshire. We appreciate your review on Trip Advisor and would like to contact you via email in hopes to discuss the negatives mentioned in your post. We are in an important phase of growth and could use your suggestions to help us improve.

Medicine Hat, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I just finished our 10 day stay at the resort and have nothing but praise for this place. When we booked our trip we seriously thought about changing Hotels due to some comments but we are glad that we stayed with our original decision. When we first arrived we walked in and no waiting line to check in. Our room was on the 4th floor facing the pool and Ocean. Absolutely beautiful views from the balcony. The room was up to date, clean with a comfortable king size bed. We had the all inclusive package which covered all our meals and drinks. The meals I found to be excellent with lots to choose from. The only negative I can think of was there being no wifi in the rooms, and sometimes limited outside. I had brought a laptop so I was able to connect in the room by a cable. The staff were always friendly with us and made us feel welcome. When we checked out there were no issues again and everything was covered in our all inclusive package. We definitely want to go back again and stay at the Melia. Thank you for a fantastic holiday!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank rlane01
rlane01,
Yet again another happy guest. Your glowing review will be shared this morning with the team.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on a Jetblue getaway excursion only to find out our reservation had been confirmed through the hotel for March not February. We arrived to the hotel at 11:30 and were promised our room would be ready at 3:00. The premier ocean view that we paid for was not available at 3 as promised, and in turn was not available until 5. After waiting so long for the room to be ready, the staff never apologized and we were given no compensation whatsoever. The location is perfect, but the rooms are dated as we expected as we knew they were being renovated. The staff is gracious and welcoming, but service is slow and less than efficient. At all times of the day there is at least a 20 minute wait at the front desk.
As a loyal jetblue customer, I would have expected better from the partnership with the Melia hotel. As someone who usually stays on Marriott property and has been treated very well by their corporation, I would have expected much better from this hotel. I would not rush back and I would hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank Mary anne C
Mary anne C,
Please accept my sincere apology for the lack of service you received while visiting as our guest. Someone from our Guest Experience Department should be contacting you today in reference to your review. Our Management cares greatly about your experience and we want to keep our Partnership with the airline companies as well as win your loyalty from other hotel brands. Please forgive us. We would love the opportunity to have you back.

Enfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I just spent 5 nights, 6 days during February at the resort. From the moment we walked into the hotel, it was very beautiful and elegant. That feeling rapidly diminished when we waited in line for almost 2 hours (no exaggeration) to check in. I went for a drink to bring back to line; he went for a drink to bring back to line.... etc. We finally checked in, and the room was beautiful - everything we asked for. We did not purchase the "all-inclusive" package - at first, we thought we should have, as the prices were ASTRONOMICAL - 1 glass of Chardonnay was $16 dollars (an average brand)! The breakfast buffet (adequate - runny eggs, fruit - nothing out of the ordinary) was $50 for 2 people (and that was all they had except for room service (a 15% gratuity included PLUS a 20% service charge!). But, after the first day (our dinner res. was for 7 pm, and we were not seated until 9pm - there were only 10 people eating at the time!!) - and after paying $128 (15% gratuity is included in everything) for a rather unusual and not-so-good meal, we got smart and started leaving the property for dinner every night. So - the short story is - the property is gorgeous, the service is terrible - slow, uncaring servers....adequate (at best) food - we will definitely go back to Nassau, we just won't stay there - Atlantis is extremely expensive, but we went there for a day and had dinner, etc., and the service was outstanding - as it was with all the other local restaurants we visited! Our taxi drivers always steered us (no pun intended) in the RIGHT direction on where to eat!! It was a great trip overall...

Room Tip: All rooms were clean and comfortable - get a room with a view!! Nice balconies.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank EnfieldEmilie
EnfieldEmilie,
I appreciate your high score as it was not deserved based on your review of our service. We will take your feedback very seriously and continue to work on improving this critical component of our hotel.

Andrew Tilley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,590 reviews
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!