“Quiet And Relaxing Not For Those Who Love The Nightlife”

Sandyport Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
BOSTON UK
“Quiet And Relaxing Not For Those Who Love The Nightlife”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2006

5 Days before taking our holiday Cameron from the resort rang us at home to ensure all was OK for the holiday and was there anything we needed to know, needed and what time we were due to arrive. Arrived on time to find rooms already for us (before official room ready time). We havd a wonderful time. The beach was a little debris covered at times, but the sea was always warm and clean. The sun shone almost everyday, all day. The resort although clean and nice, seems a little untidy around the edges and dated, but all works well. Nice inland beach and water for when the sea beach is untidy or too windy, or you need a little cover from the sun.
The resort never seemed busy, although most rooms seemed to be full. The sea beach was never busy, at times we were alone.
Provence Restaurant on site is excellant although expensive. The Bouilibaise is exceptional (but done order a starter as it is so filling).
Oyster bar is also good value.
Take the powerboat trip and the Stuart Cove snorkel trip. These are well worth it. Feed the stingrays and swim with the sharks.
Nassau is good for jewellry and watch shopping, and eat out at Arawak key on a weekend night at Seafood Haven. We travelled on the Jitney bus for $1(good value). Had an evening via free bus out at the Casino also.
We would stay again at Sandyport without hesitation.

Stayed October 2006
5 Thank MIDGET128K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2006

Myself and my then boyfriend (now husband) went out for a two week holiday. BA were doing great deals on direct flights to Nassau. We stayed at an apartment in Sandyport beach resort. You can fall out of bed onto the inland beach (great if it is a bit windy) or walk round to the main beach. There are small bars all over the sandyport resort, there is also a shopping mall and a number of great restaurants. The pool is well kept if you don't fancy the sea. There is a great gym too, which has all the latest equipment and classes. We stayed in a self catering apartment with a balcony, which was very comfortable , the kitchen is all kited out and there is even a Jaccuzi bath in the bedroom. It is the perfect place for relaxing.

Sandyport also a great location not far from the main town. Unlike many of the busy resorts and hotels we visted on a few trips out, it is a calm and relaxing place to unwind, but a great base for adventure.

Sandyport is very close to Paradise Island. Atlantis is only 10 minutes by taxi if you want to go there for diner or a day out, seeing the underwater fish tanks is fab for an after dinner stroll, or take in the comedy club. Some of the big hotels are five minutes away if you want beauty treatments or a casino. Also highly recommended is Powerboat adventures day trip to the Exhumas, was an experience of a life time. Great people amazing wildlife and a wonderful lunch.

For those with a few pennies to burn take the private sea plane to a private beach in the Exhumas (where we got engaged). My (now) husband also went diving for the first time and just loved it. It was a truly amazing holiday.

The Bahamas is a wonderful place to visit and Sandyport is a excellent resort to stay and recharge your batteries. The staff at Sandyport are fab and will organising everything for you. Just get there!

• Liked — Like having a home.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bahama Mamas - great cocktail!
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
11 Thank tamoonlight
Berkshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

We booked our 2 week holiday at Sandyport as a timeshare exchange through RCI. I must admit that my partner and I were very nervous about the stay after reading all the negative reviews. When we arrived we found all the staff very cheerful and friendly (especially Cameron...). The place is a little quiet but thats what we were looking for and had no problem with having your choice of sunbed by the pool and peace and quiet to relax in. The only downsides were a limited number of places to eat locally without having to get a bus or taxi. The resort could do with a pemanent on-site restaurat serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and possibly some kind of entertainment, other than that no complaints. The rooms are very clean, tidy and relatively well equipped with all you'd need for a 2 week holiday. The resort offers a supermarket run each Sunday with free transport so you can stock up on groceries. The No 10 bus service is great, running from the resort into downtown Nassau every few minutes for just a dollar per person. Just flag the bus down where you want and stop it where you want. Cafe Johnny Canoes does a great breakfast and dinner with live entertainment most evenings. The Fish Fry opposite Fort Charlotte is great for an evening of food and drink with plenty going on to entertain you. All in all we had a great holiday and would probably return in the future.

• Liked — The rooms very clean. Open your door and you are on the beach !!!
  • Disliked — It's remote and not a lot going on locally.
  • Tips/Secrets — hire a car
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cubanmf
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

Before going to Sandyport, I did not know what to expect due to the many negative reviews I read. Since I booked the trip through a time share, it was too late to cancel. I am glad that I did not cancel because it turned out to be a very enjoyable vacation.
I will start with the negatives: Sandyport is in desperate need of some upgrades because it is listed as a gold crown resort but it is NOT to the standard. There were rocks at the beach and the lagoon --- Therefore, my children could only swim at the pool or go to Cable Beach. Also, there are NO activities at Sandyport so we had to go out everyday for some additional activities for the kids.
Now to the postives: Sandyport is a very quiet, family-oriented resort. The staff are very friendly & helpful----especially CAMERON. He is truly an asset to the resort.
One of the things that I truly enjoyed was that the resort was less crowded than most hotels & I felt less stress when my children were playing in the pool, etc. We went to Atlantis for the day & it was very crowded and I had to watch my children like a hawk. My son actually mentioned that he enjoyed the pool at Sandyport better because they could swim at ease without knocking into someone every second. I must admit that I was not at all impressed with Atlantis. Overall, we had a very enjoyable vacation & I will recommend Sandyport to ones that do not expect a gold crown resort but a family-oriented, less congested, relaxing resort.

P.S.
Recommendations: The food was very expensive. After arriving to the resort, we had to buy some groceries for the week. The prices were outrageous at the store close to the resort--Example: a gallon of milk was $6. After going to a few stores, we realized that the prices are high everywhere. Therefore, the things I brought from home really came in handy such as tuna, can goods, oodles of noddles, cereal, snacks, bottled waters, kool-aid, etc. When we did venture out, we paid an average of $40-50/ per meal for a family of 4.
I recommend you take the bus & safari tour with BiG AL. These trips were very enjoyable, less expensive & crowded than some of the other tours given. You can book the tours at the front desk.

• Liked — family-oriented
  • Disliked — not gold crown resort
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Malik3
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2006

We visited Sandyport beach resort during 2005 thanksgiving holidays. This was our second trip to Bahamas (first time we stayed at Wyndham hotel).

Sandyport is a very good place to relax. It is not a place for party lovers. Most of the time when we were at the beach, there were no more than 2-3 couples at the beach. On the other hand Wyndham beach is always crowded.

Swimming pool can be rated as average or below average. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. It was relatively clean (compared to Bahamas standard).

I would not recommend Sandyport for families teenage kids, there is nothing for them to do.

• Liked — staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Once you enter the water, there are some rocks
  • Tips/Secrets — For snorkelling and other activities, go to cable beach
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CarribeanTravellers
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2006

I just spend a week at Sandyport and had one of the best vacations of my life. I was really scared to go because of all of the really horrible reviews, but I was very pleasantly surprised!!! The beach was great!!! The rocks someone talks about in earlier reviews are actually coral, not rocks!!! We went snorkeling at the beach and it was amazing at all of the types of fish we saw and actually we saw a sea turtle in the sea pond a the resort. There were few, if any, people at the beach so it was like we had our own private beach, the water is beautiful, the beach is great, and there is plenty of room to swim (not that much coral in the water). We took the beach chairs, had a glass of wine, and sat in the water - there is nothing like it in th world. Show me a hotel that allows you to do that!! The rooms were OK, not five star, but if you want a five star resort - go to one!! This is a timeshare and so they don't clean the rooms everyday - they pretty much leave you alone - but if you need something, ask, and the accommodate without delay!!! There are three restaurants on the property - but probably are about a five minute walk from where we were. They were pretty good. If you like crowds, lines, noise, then don't go to Sandyport. It was fabulous that there weren't many people there - it was SOOOO relaxing!!! We did take a trip to Atlantis and it was like walking around in New York City - people everywhere - pushing, shoving - not my type of vacation!!! Cameron (I read about him in previous reviews) was of course right on the ball and only too eager to help. The pool was great too and when we went there, the kids that were there were having a great time on the slides. Again, a great place to relax. I also understand that management has changed hands and we were advised that in two years, the place will be wonderful - I think it already is!!! I went to the Bahamas once before and stayed at the Wyndam - I hated that hotel and swore I would never return to the Bahamas. Sandyport has definitely changed my mind about that. Oh, there is a $6 per per per day "energy" charge, but at the Wyndham, we were charged $15 per person per day, so that was a bargain in my book!! Every place either adds this so called energy charged to the bill or it is bill in your charge for the room when you book it, so regardless you are going to pay it one way or another. We also took two exersions - one snorkeling and the other a dinner cruise- and we has the best time!!! We met people who actually live in Nassau on these two exercersions and we have to say that those people were very friendly!!! I wouldn't think twice about going to Sandyport again!!!

Stayed August 2006
7 Thank ckijek
MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

Recently stayed at the Sandyport Resort in Nassau. Had a wonderful time restaurants are a little pricy but the Fillet Mignon I had at the Province was to die for. Alot of new building going on in the area should be even nicer when all is complete. Pretty quiet in the Old Town section I was surprised it wasn't more crowded we didn't have to wait in any lines. I think this must be Nassau's best kept secret.
Great beach with nice area for snorkeling again not many people on the beach us and maybe six others scattered around felt like we had it all to ourselves.
They have a free shuttle that runs back and forth to the Crystal Palace Casino in Cable Beach didn't do too well there so I won't go on about that.
We will be definetly going back on our next vacation. I was told by one of the shop keepers that people rent the condo's out on short term rental they were new and looked very nice I will check into that next time.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Small
  • Tips/Secrets — Have at least one meal at Provence
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank oliver1181
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to Sandyport Beach Resort? Share your experiences!