I had read reviews of this property before booking, and the experience was consistent with reviews. The resort's best quality was the professional staff and their willingness to go the extra effort to serve you. The resort itself doesn't have the razzle dazzle of the other popular destinations on Paradise Island, but that is what we wanted. The decor is dated, but we found the rooms clean. There were issues of water pipes breaking while we were there, but all was corrected within a short time. All parts of our first room were not functional, and the staff moved us to another room to correct the situation. I strongly do not suggest a standard room on the first floor facing the pool; very dreary and no kitchenette or refrigerators. Given its location, you will want a kitchenette, unless your budget is unlimited for food. Food is pricy in the Bahamas. For a standard room, the second floor is much improved over the ground level. Suites facing the harbor were lovely and in the best shape of all the rooms; I'd stay in a suite facing the harbor to have the best experience if your budget allows.
There is access to a few good restaurants (pricy) within walking distance. Also, you can walk to local grocery store. You can also have breakfast or dinner prepared on the beach area by Sandyport's chef at the beachside bar. $10 a person for breakfast; he will cook to order a dinner.
Wonderful access to the #10 Jitney bus to take downtown; In comparrison to a lot of international bus system's I've traveled, this was a piece of cake. Jump on, pay $1.25 when getting off anywhere along the route. Its a out an back road, so you can't get lost; downside: the bus stops running around dark, usually 6:30 pm so we didn't use to go anywhere for dinner later in the evening.
Another tip nobody seems to write about: you can take the 12b Jitney right outside the resort to the airport for $2.50 a person. They run on the 1/2 hour. Sure beats the $18+ cab fees.
The hotel offers options of a boat Safari of the island, hand line fishing excursions, and snorkeling outings; very personal and fun to meet some of the other guests. Big Al runs these and was an excellent host. They are easy and accessible right at the resort. Comparable prices to other big operations on the island.
The beach access from the hotel is quiet and well maintained. It is a public beach but not very frequented. Felt private. Not a lot of beach to walk if you are wanting to really take a long walk.
There is no free internet at the hotel (could be good or bad depending on your vacation goals!)
Has a free computer and printer to check in for flights/print tickets/ search for a restaurant if you need; the lobby has a guide for local restaurants which was helpful.
Overall, a good experience; what it lacks in amenities, is made up for by hard working staff and a very laid back atmosphere. It worked well for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandyport Beach Resort in Nassau, Bahamas is known for its tranquility, where rest and relaxation amid the tropical landscape takes you into island time. A quiet retreat ideally located in the luxury Sandyport Marina Village approximately 3 miles away from Nassau International Airport and minutes away from Cable Beach.The resorts pastel colored villas of 72 rooms surround a marina linked by a Grand Canal to the sea. The architecture is inspired by the Georgian Colonial architecture of historic Bahamas and all rooms are appointed with modern conveniences. The Signature room, The Deluxe One Bedroom Suite, is your home away from home with full kitchen and living/dining room with queen size sofa bed separate from the master bedroom with king size bed, Jacuzzi bath and view of the canal or lagoon beach. There are multiple room types available though with everything from a Hotel bedroom, Studio, one, two or three bedroom suites.The resort includes two ocean beaches a short walk from the rooms, a lagoon beach, and three swimming pools including one large pool with a gentle sand edge. The kiddie pool has 2 fun water slides. A tennis court and half basketball court are also on-site. Wireless Internet access is free in the rooms and public areas. Guests can use a computer in the lobby with complimentary high-speed Internet access during office hours. Guests also have discounted use of a nearby fitness centre. While you may find yourself getting lost in the privacy and tranquility of the Resort itself, at Sandyport you can have the best of all worlds - be as quiet as you want, or as active as you want, with the dining and shopping options of The Sandyport Marina Village on the Resort's doorstep and a superb range of activities that can be organized through the front desk. The resort has a limited number of rooms that are handicapped accessible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Sandyport Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandyport Beaches Hotel Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Hotel
- Sandyport Beach Nassau
- Sandyport Beaches Resort
- Sandyport Resort
- Sandyport Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Resort Bahamas/Nassau