“Sandyport getaway was everything we hoped for”

Sandyport Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Towson, Maryland
“Sandyport getaway was everything we hoped for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Sandyport Resort

We loved Sandyport Resort. To begin with, it’s a beautiful resort – rentals, timeshares and residences that are never far from a relaxing water view, including the peaceful pond that meanders thru the office area. We saw lots of fish there, including a lionfish. Our smaller rental room was comfortable, neat and clean, and steps away from MY hammock at the pool.
I really like ocean activities and real swimming, and the beach is great. Nice sand and sandy bottom water that deepens gradually, so I could do some serious laps. The crescent beachfront is relaxing and uncrowded, and there are comfortable beach loungers (always enough, but never rows and rows dominating the beach) and a beach hut restaurant, which we did not use. We did however enjoy the restaurant dog who knows a dog lover when she sees one and was happy to give us our cuddly doggie fix.
There were several great dining options in the area. Onsite, Chef Cleveland is the real thing, and makes unbelievable breakfasts and dinners – to order – on a grill and a hotplate in the Shack between the pool and the lake, for a very reasonable price (esp. since dinners include unlimited island cocktails). My husband ate there almost every day. We liked that you order your dinner entrée in the morning, so that the Chef can shop for the fresh ingredients. There are also other good bars and restaurants within a 10 minute walk, and we had a beautiful New Year’s Eve dinner at the Poop Deck.
Getting around Nassau was no big deal. We felt safe. There were taxis aplenty but it was only a short walk to the bus, which got us everywhere we wanted to go for $1.25. We think the buses spent more time waiting for us than we did for them – if they saw us coming they would wait and sometimes do a U-turn swoop to pick us up so we didn’t have to cross the road. We were Downtown a couple of times and even used the buses for transportation during the wee hours for Junkanoo (but they stop running at twilight normally). And each bus is a different experience, because the drivers and their personal décor are amusingly idiosyncratic.
We really enjoyed the island itself, and because it’s so close to home, our travel day was also our first vacation day. I was in the ocean before dinner. We like the “feel” of the Bahamas a lot, the people and the culture.
Speaking of the people, the staff at Sandyport are the best. Lady Sarah made us feel very welcome before we even arrived, answering questions I had about our planned activities and looking up information for me – really excellent concierge service. By the time I actually met her, it felt like friends. And everyone we met there was the same – Cameron, Big Al, Charon…..and the rest. They made us feel like we were in Nassau, getting to know the real Nassau, not just looking in thru a visitor window.
We would go back to Sandyport in a heartbeat, and I’m sure we will.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LizbethC85
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear LizbethC,

We are so pleased you enjoyed YOUR hammock during your stay with us. Your review is filled with great tips. Thank you so much for spending the time to pass on this wonderful information. Our team loves what they do and I agree with you that they are the “best”.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandyport in a heartbeat and to continuing to share the real Nassau with you.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked this hotel after reading reviews, and thought it will be magic. So wrong. HORRIBLE experience. First night we were tired and went to bed early not looking at anything. Second night however we rested and wanted to read books while lying in bed. That's when we saw them. COCKROACHES. And they were big. They kept running from under beds. I was freaked out. We called front desk, but they said the manager will be only in the morning and they could only bring us some spray to spray on cockroaches. But it was much more effective just to beat them with a shoe. We almost didn't sleep and kept light on all night. We were scared of them crawling on us as we slept.
Next morning we changed rooms and got one in another building. We thought it will be fine. But threre were cockroaches too!!! In another building of the hotel! What if we were traveling with kids? Cockroaches spread diseases! It is gross! We didn't sleep for a second night.
I'm posting pictures of the cockroaches here, so you all can see what a terrible hotel it is. It costs a fortune but is awful. We cheked out and went to another hotel. Manager was UNHELPFUL. Didn't offer a refund. Didn't seem to care. Said that cockroaches are there because they had families for Christmass and families had food and that's how cockroaches got there. Can you believe it??? That's not our problem!
AND the door-lock in the first room was broken. And AC was broken in the second room. And the beach is not cleaned. Full of bottles and see plants. The man-made beach is a stinky kind of a lake where boats park and people wash there boats using that water.
HORRIBLE! AWFUL! WOULD NEVER COME BACK!

Room Tip: Cockroach infested rooms. Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Ritikiri
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Ritikiri,

I am so sorry about your recent stay with us. To say that it did not live up to yours or our expectations is an understatement and I apologize.

We have since your departure called in a specialist to address the problem. We had last week a flash problem with insects. We do have a regular pest control service that includes insects; however, this required a specific treatment which has now been carried out on the rooms.

While we have addressed this issue for our future guests I understand that this does not change your experience. We are not permitted on tripadvisor to give e-mail addresses or ask for reviewers to contact us. I would hope though that you would contact me directly so that we can make this right.

Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at this resort twice and two other resorts on the island........the best by far..........the staff from Mr. Moss the GM to the grounds keepers were excellent! Everyone truly makes you feel at home. The resort is within walking distance from some of the best food I'd ever eaten and only a bus ride away to many other eateries. I enjoyed having my own Private beach...........twice a week room cleaned..........colorful units...........romantic setting of the resort at night.......prompt attention given if requests were made..........friendliness of staff(especially Lady Sarah, Cameron and the lady whose name I can't recall that sits at the customer counter daily) So sorry I can't remember her name although Ms Geneva seems to stick out...nevertheless you will not regret it if you select this resort as your vacation stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the room right on the beach......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Travelwassup
Dear Travelwassup,

Wow! “Best resort on island” that is high praise indeed, thank you. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us again and that you found our team excellent. The rooms that are located on the lagoon beach are the deluxe one bedroom and two bedroom suites in buildings 5 and 6. The downstairs units have the lagoon beach literally on the doorstep. I like them too and they are getting even better with new really nice beach chairs and cushions in a week.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We are so pleased that you are a repeat guest and we cannot wait to welcome you home again.

Royalton, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed or were suppose to stay Dec 8-14th 2112.We stayed here because we had a RCI timeshare voucher we recieved from a benifit. When we arrived we were told it was full however there were no people anywhere. After we were settled the room was clean but the AC didn't work it dripped about 2 gallons of water on the floor in about 5 hours. The grounds were very messy but we were told it was because of Sandy. The staff were very nice but they still could not make up for what this place is lacking. The first night was horrible we had some type of domestic disturbance going on next door. After being here less than 24 hours we packed up and left thankfully were were able to get into the Country Suites wich were absolutley wonderful. I can make due almost all of the time but this was anything but a good experience. If I would give 1 bit of advice DON'T STAY HERE. You also are away from everything!!

Room Tip: Pick a different Place
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank SGOTT_12
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear SGOTT_12,

I am very sorry that the resort did not live up to yours or our expectations. I am sorry that you did not give us an opportunity to put it right but understand your decision to relocate and am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Country Suites. I am not familiar with that property but I am guessing Comfort Suites.

The atmosphere at Sandyport Beaches Resort is tranquil where there is no need to reserve your beach chair or hammock. We have six low rise buildings that look more like houses than the typical high rise hotel. There are a total of 72 rooms ranging from hotel bedrooms to three bedroom suites. Our guests enjoy our tranquil, relaxing setting. We are not for everyone and understand the draw of the nightclub scene.

There is no excuse for the malfunctioning A/C and I am sorry about the guest next door. For future guests we do have 24 hour security on property who can attend to any after hours disturbances. I am pleased that you found our staff to be “very nice”. Our team really goes above and beyond and can organize any activity that our guests wish. We are close to everything that Cable Beach has to offer but hope our guests experience their own piece of paradise.

We are pleased that you still enjoyed your stay in the Bahamas and hope that you will visit our island again in the future.

Springfield, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here while attending a destination wedding of a niece. We had two 3 bedroom suites for our family of 15. Everyone enjoyed the resort, even 3 month old baby. The staff was very warm, inviting, helpful and was available when we needed them. Located on the #10 bus line, Twisted Lime resturant (walking distance), grocery store etc. A gated resort with access to wonderful pools and ocean beach. Very clean and nice decor. Truly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ann L
Dear Ann L,

We are so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The three bedroom suites are wonderful for sharing a vacation together while having the space and amenities of home. I hope that your niece had a wonderful wedding and wish them all the best for the future.

We hope that you have sand in your shoes and that we can welcome you back to Sandyport soon.

Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I take immense pride and pleasure in writing a review for this beautiful and tranquil resort to boast about one of the most pleasurable, relaxing and awe inspiring vacations I have ever experienced.

I had the very fortunate opportunity of staying in room 511 at your resort from November 21-26. From the moment I entered your reception, I was greeted by Mrs. Bethel who was so warm and welcoming to the point I felt as if I was the ONLY guest at the hotel.

Despite their being a power outage experienced by the local power company, Mrs. Bethel gave me all assurances that things will be corrected expeditiously by the power company and just by her pleasing and very attentive nature, I was instantly put at ease.

If I thought that was the end all, I was very mistaken because when I entered room 511 once the power was restored I literally dropped my suitcase with an open mouth at the very classy appointment of the interior..............and it didn’t end there!

Opening the bedroom door to see the Jacuzzi beside the room I felt as if I was James Bond for the moment…(smile)

From the gardening staff to my AWESOME and so cherry room attendant (her name escapes me), I am won over and now consider Sandyport Beach Resort as MY place to stay when in Nassau (I am there at least six times a year) for rest, relaxation and meetings.

I just had to contact the reservations Manager Mrs Rowena Jones to express how pleased I was during my stay and she responded so quickly (once again it shows the level of dedication and attention levelled at guest satisfaction and detail to service) to beam with pride for the recognition of her staff members.

In closing, Mrs. Jones you have an excellent facility, under the expert guidance of Mr Vernon Moss and I have already been singing the praises to the Bermudians here at home

Kudos to Sandyport Beach Resort Owners, Management and Staff!!!!

Kindest regards
Alan

Room Tip: I give high ratings in all of the areas that affected my stay (I never did get to visit the fitness...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Travelfun1410
Dear Mr. Bond, Alan Bond,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you once again for your high praise of our team and your stay. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful time. I am very fortunate to work with a wonderful team that genuinely wants to make our guests happy. We are very aware that vacation time is precious and that our guests deserve the best experience we can give. We would love to welcome you back to Sandyport soon.

Did you know that many “Bond” scenes have been filmed in the Bahamas both in our waters and on land. Sean Connery has a house in the Bahamas. On one night at what is now “Twisted Lime” I arrived to my table with Sean Connery sitting at the adjacent table. He finished his meal and about 15 minutes later Pierce Brosnan (he was filming on the island at the time) came in for dinner at another table.

Wishing you many more “Bond” moments and hope that we can welcome you back “to your place” soon.

Scarborough, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Arrived at this hotel at 11pm at night having travelled half way around the world from Perth, Australia. We had a confirmed and fully paid for reservation and a confirmation from the hotel that we would be arriving late at night - 11pm or so. They had overbooked and there was no room for us and only a porter on duty. In the end they found a small room with a put-u-up bed instead of the 2 queens we had ordered and were told to argue with the manager the next day. We only have one day in Bahamas before our cruise boat leaves and we will have to spend it facing off with the inefficient management and possibly moving rooms. The room we have been given does not have a key so we are totally stuffed about going out in the morning.
Shame on you Sandyport Beaches Resort and this is a warning to others about your inefficient booking system and your lack of helpfullness when things go wrong. The porter wasn't going to look for another hotel for us. They would have left us tired and jetlagged with no where to sleep!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank AuntieFloTravels
Dear AuntieFlotravels,

I am so sorry for the difficulties that you encountered when arriving at our resort. Cameron immediately alerted Vernon Moss, General Manager, to our error. I understand that while we cannot take back the inconvenience that you experienced that first night that we did make up for it in the morning. I very much hope that you will post another review now that your vacation is complete to let everyone know how you feel we handled our error and that you left the resort feeling a lot better about our team and service.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to live up to and exceed yours and our expectations.

Sandyport Beaches Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to Sandyport Beach Resort? Share your experiences!