We loved Sandyport Resort. To begin with, it’s a beautiful resort – rentals, timeshares and residences that are never far from a relaxing water view, including the peaceful pond that meanders thru the office area. We saw lots of fish there, including a lionfish. Our smaller rental room was comfortable, neat and clean, and steps away from MY hammock at the pool.
I really like ocean activities and real swimming, and the beach is great. Nice sand and sandy bottom water that deepens gradually, so I could do some serious laps. The crescent beachfront is relaxing and uncrowded, and there are comfortable beach loungers (always enough, but never rows and rows dominating the beach) and a beach hut restaurant, which we did not use. We did however enjoy the restaurant dog who knows a dog lover when she sees one and was happy to give us our cuddly doggie fix.
There were several great dining options in the area. Onsite, Chef Cleveland is the real thing, and makes unbelievable breakfasts and dinners – to order – on a grill and a hotplate in the Shack between the pool and the lake, for a very reasonable price (esp. since dinners include unlimited island cocktails). My husband ate there almost every day. We liked that you order your dinner entrée in the morning, so that the Chef can shop for the fresh ingredients. There are also other good bars and restaurants within a 10 minute walk, and we had a beautiful New Year’s Eve dinner at the Poop Deck.
Getting around Nassau was no big deal. We felt safe. There were taxis aplenty but it was only a short walk to the bus, which got us everywhere we wanted to go for $1.25. We think the buses spent more time waiting for us than we did for them – if they saw us coming they would wait and sometimes do a U-turn swoop to pick us up so we didn’t have to cross the road. We were Downtown a couple of times and even used the buses for transportation during the wee hours for Junkanoo (but they stop running at twilight normally). And each bus is a different experience, because the drivers and their personal décor are amusingly idiosyncratic.
We really enjoyed the island itself, and because it’s so close to home, our travel day was also our first vacation day. I was in the ocean before dinner. We like the “feel” of the Bahamas a lot, the people and the culture.
Speaking of the people, the staff at Sandyport are the best. Lady Sarah made us feel very welcome before we even arrived, answering questions I had about our planned activities and looking up information for me – really excellent concierge service. By the time I actually met her, it felt like friends. And everyone we met there was the same – Cameron, Big Al, Charon…..and the rest. They made us feel like we were in Nassau, getting to know the real Nassau, not just looking in thru a visitor window.
We would go back to Sandyport in a heartbeat, and I’m sure we will.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandyport Beach Resort in Nassau, Bahamas is known for its tranquility, where rest and relaxation amid the tropical landscape takes you into island time. A quiet retreat ideally located in the luxury Sandyport Marina Village approximately 3 miles away from Nassau International Airport and minutes away from Cable Beach.The resorts pastel colored villas of 72 rooms surround a marina linked by a Grand Canal to the sea. The architecture is inspired by the Georgian Colonial architecture of historic Bahamas and all rooms are appointed with modern conveniences. The Signature room, The Deluxe One Bedroom Suite, is your home away from home with full kitchen and living/dining room with queen size sofa bed separate from the master bedroom with king size bed, Jacuzzi bath and view of the canal or lagoon beach. There are multiple room types available though with everything from a Hotel bedroom, Studio, one, two or three bedroom suites.The resort includes two ocean beaches a short walk from the rooms, a lagoon beach, and three swimming pools including one large pool with a gentle sand edge. The kiddie pool has 2 fun water slides. A tennis court and half basketball court are also on-site. Wireless Internet access is free in the rooms and public areas. Guests can use a computer in the lobby with complimentary high-speed Internet access during office hours. Guests also have discounted use of a nearby fitness centre. While you may find yourself getting lost in the privacy and tranquility of the Resort itself, at Sandyport you can have the best of all worlds - be as quiet as you want, or as active as you want, with the dining and shopping options of The Sandyport Marina Village on the Resort's doorstep and a superb range of activities that can be organized through the front desk. The resort has a limited number of rooms that are handicapped accessible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandyport Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandyport Beaches Hotel Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Hotel
- Sandyport Beach Nassau
- Sandyport Beaches Resort
- Sandyport Resort
- Sandyport Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Resort Bahamas/Nassau