I chose Sandyport at random based on the reviews on this site and because it was relatively inexpensive. I was impressed, for example, by the fact that the manager seems to comment on all of the reviews on here...and the staff at the hotel in general was very courteous. I was very pleased with Sandyport, and would go back. Compared to Nassau's other inexpensive hotels, it's terrific. The main downsides are 1) it's somewhat isolated, and 2) it's not really an authentic beach resort.
Significantly away from the center of Nassau, it is much quieter than many of the more tourist-y resorts, and that can be a very good thing for honeymooners, etc. The few restaurants that are part of the complex were fantastic and fun, but getting to and from downtown Nassau was cumbersome..The main lounge area of the resort is nice...the snack bar is great during the day. I wish I'd been told when I was there all the fancy tricks about having to order dinner in the morning, etc. Unfortunately no one at the front desk volunteered any such information. The beach around the pool area is fake, but there is apparently access to a real beach, but I wouldn't go to Nassau for an authentic Bahamas beach anyway.
The resort has a unique character to it....almost exactly what I'd expect from a Bahamas condo development. I made some friends at the bars nearby, enjoyed my room, and thought the place had a great feel. Definitely not a spring break spot,but very pleasant.
The lack of staff overnight can be tricky, but I planned ahead and asked the front desk the night before to arrange for a taxi to pick me up at 6:00 the next morning, and a taxi did show up...late...but it did show up.
My biggest caution applies to the entire Bahamas, but Sandyport definitely falls victim to it, and that is the principle of "island time". Locals love to use the term "island time" to describe the commonplace principle of not caring about your schedule and being late frequently. This applies to the official check-in time, calling for a taxi, or pretty much anything else. You may have a set schedule, but that doesn't mean anybody at the front desk is going to put much effort toward helping you keep it.
That said, as long as you're not looking for an uproarious party scene, Sandyport is a wonderful little hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandyport Beach Resort in Nassau, Bahamas is known for its tranquility, where rest and relaxation amid the tropical landscape takes you into island time. A quiet retreat ideally located in the luxury Sandyport Marina Village approximately 3 miles away from Nassau International Airport and minutes away from Cable Beach.The resorts pastel colored villas of 72 rooms surround a marina linked by a Grand Canal to the sea. The architecture is inspired by the Georgian Colonial architecture of historic Bahamas and all rooms are appointed with modern conveniences. The Signature room, The Deluxe One Bedroom Suite, is your home away from home with full kitchen and living/dining room with queen size sofa bed separate from the master bedroom with king size bed, Jacuzzi bath and view of the canal or lagoon beach. There are multiple room types available though with everything from a Hotel bedroom, Studio, one, two or three bedroom suites.The resort includes two ocean beaches a short walk from the rooms, a lagoon beach, and three swimming pools including one large pool with a gentle sand edge. The kiddie pool has 2 fun water slides. A tennis court and half basketball court are also on-site. Wireless Internet access is free in the rooms and public areas. Guests can use a computer in the lobby with complimentary high-speed Internet access during office hours. Guests also have discounted use of a nearby fitness centre. While you may find yourself getting lost in the privacy and tranquility of the Resort itself, at Sandyport you can have the best of all worlds - be as quiet as you want, or as active as you want, with the dining and shopping options of The Sandyport Marina Village on the Resort's doorstep and a superb range of activities that can be organized through the front desk. The resort has a limited number of rooms that are handicapped accessible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandyport Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandyport Beaches Hotel Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Hotel
- Sandyport Beach Nassau
- Sandyport Beaches Resort
- Sandyport Resort
- Sandyport Nassau
- Sandyport Beach Resort Bahamas/Nassau