“A very nice hotel”

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Boston, Massachusetts
“A very nice hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I chose Sandyport at random based on the reviews on this site and because it was relatively inexpensive. I was impressed, for example, by the fact that the manager seems to comment on all of the reviews on here...and the staff at the hotel in general was very courteous. I was very pleased with Sandyport, and would go back. Compared to Nassau's other inexpensive hotels, it's terrific. The main downsides are 1) it's somewhat isolated, and 2) it's not really an authentic beach resort.

Significantly away from the center of Nassau, it is much quieter than many of the more tourist-y resorts, and that can be a very good thing for honeymooners, etc. The few restaurants that are part of the complex were fantastic and fun, but getting to and from downtown Nassau was cumbersome..The main lounge area of the resort is nice...the snack bar is great during the day. I wish I'd been told when I was there all the fancy tricks about having to order dinner in the morning, etc. Unfortunately no one at the front desk volunteered any such information. The beach around the pool area is fake, but there is apparently access to a real beach, but I wouldn't go to Nassau for an authentic Bahamas beach anyway.

The resort has a unique character to it....almost exactly what I'd expect from a Bahamas condo development. I made some friends at the bars nearby, enjoyed my room, and thought the place had a great feel. Definitely not a spring break spot,but very pleasant.

The lack of staff overnight can be tricky, but I planned ahead and asked the front desk the night before to arrange for a taxi to pick me up at 6:00 the next morning, and a taxi did show up...late...but it did show up.

My biggest caution applies to the entire Bahamas, but Sandyport definitely falls victim to it, and that is the principle of "island time". Locals love to use the term "island time" to describe the commonplace principle of not caring about your schedule and being late frequently. This applies to the official check-in time, calling for a taxi, or pretty much anything else. You may have a set schedule, but that doesn't mean anybody at the front desk is going to put much effort toward helping you keep it.

That said, as long as you're not looking for an uproarious party scene, Sandyport is a wonderful little hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Rog2828,

Thank you so much for your review and for calling us “terrific” and “a wonderful little hotel”. It is a pleasure to be writing a response to your review especially as you have valued my previous responses. We are pleased that “the place had a great feel”.

I am sorry though that you did not know about the “fancy trick” of ordering dinner in the morning with Clevland by the pool. This is a unique fairly new service that we provide. Mayormike12 from New Jersey has given an informative review below on the option. This is definitely insider’s knowledge. Chef Clevland will cook to order by the Pool by previous arrangement at very reasonable prices. On your return visit we will be sure to hook you up.

We do have an ocean beach (real beach) on property in addition to the man-made lagoon beach. The Lagoon Beach is located by the rooms and extends into the pool. The Ocean Beach is accessed by a walkway along the main Sandyport Canal that goes out to the Ocean. It is a short walk entirely within the property of 5 minutes or less and there is no need to cross a road.

Our security staff is on property 24 hours and while the front desk is closed at night the security guard in the entry booth can be reached by hotel phone and assist with any guest needs including taxi transportation.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Sandyport in the near future. We certainly want our guests to feel that they are on “island time” but part of you feeling relaxed is supposed to come from knowing that we are doing our jobs as professionally and as efficiently as possible. We shall work to improve our adherence to schedule by your return.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have tried to resolve an issue which happened on April 1st, 2012 through regular e-mails. Our patio door was opened on a side that we never used and kept locked (the doors can be opened from either side). During the night, someone entered our room and stole a iPad and $200.00 while we slept in the bedroom. These items were not covered by our insurance due to a high deductable. Mr. Moss, the General Manager, tried to handle the situation internaly so chose not to call the police. We called them 5 days later. Mr. Moss did eventualy appologize to us for not calling the police. We have been promised a police report and/or a internal report but our requests have been ignored. Very little has been done to help us with this loss. We would recommend this resort but make sure your valuables are always locked in the in-room safe. The resort is not as secure as it seems or should be.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chuck C
Dear Chuck C,

Thank you for recommending Sandyport Beaches Resort despite your unfortunate experience. We have been in contact personally and I am sorry you felt frustrated by this process. I believe that both I and Mr. Moss have detailed to you our internal report. We were also in contact with the Police to further request on your behalf their report. Their report is sent to you directly and I hope and trust that you are now in receipt.

Sandyport Beaches Resort is located in the Sandyport Marina Village which is one of the Bahamas premier communities. The resort has 24 hour security with access through a gated security booth. We do as you point out offer complimentary room safes for our guests and we do recommend their use for valuables. All of our entry room door locks are from the Hospitality provider Saflok and maintain a history of all access through the main door to the room. We have an excellent team, most of which have been with us for many years. All staff is required to maintain a clean police record.

Resorts are not responsible for individual’s valuables. I do not wish to imply any impropriety in this instance but hotels can in no way be sure of the contents of a guest’s room. While we make all efforts to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for our guests we do still recommend using the same safety precautions that you would at home.

I understand that you will be returning to stay fairly soon with your friends and we very much look forward to providing you with an excellent return experience.

Andover, New Jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Just got back from this resort and I am 100% relaxed! What a great spot to unwind and enjoy the weather, pool, and calm atmosphere. If you want the hustle and bustle, go to Paradise Island. You want to feel like you are 'in the Bahams', stay here. This resort was in good shape, needs some touching up, but you can see from the people who work here, they are dedicated to making this a 4 star resort on their watch. Would rather stay here then a 4 star where they don't care about you!!
Lady Sara was as nice as could be. She informed you of what was going on and helpful with information needed for your stay and activities.
Vernon was a perfect host. We had a few issues when we first arrived, but he quickly took care of them and made our stay perfect! We enjoyed some good political conversation and I felt like I was speaking with a good friend, staying at his home. He is a gentleman!!
Suggest you have Cleveland, aka 'Chef' cook you a meal while you stay there. He meets with you prior, collects the money ($25pp), goes to the market and purchases what you have decided to eat (fresh as fresh can get!), and then cooks you up a HUGE feast....plus all you can drink island cocktails. It is not for someone looking for a 5 star dining experience, but, once again, it is like having dinner over a friends house with him cooking right in front of you, chatting away, and having a relaxing time. We sat with other guests and before you know it, with the kids running off and splashing in the pool a few yards away, several hours had passed. It was a great time and we had him cook us another meal two days later we enjoyed it so much. I suggest the fresh conch salad for an app and any fish he gets for a main course. (It was better than the 'gourmet' dinner we had at the Poop Deck)
Speaking of which, stay away from the Poop Deck. Over priced and average food. We did enjoy the restaurant that is directly on the beach, adjacent to the resort. The food was fantastic (pricey, but worth it) and the tropical drinks were perfect. Forget the bartenders name, but he did make some mean drinks...lol
We swam with the dolphins, went to Amarak Cay for the little seafood restaurants (fun time...try the Sky Juice), and walked around Nassau. Very friendly people on the island and will definitely go back. Try and get the local flavor. There was a breakfast spot exiting the resort to the left (ask for the name at the front desk) that served up fish stew and souse for breakfast. Very tasty and definitely a 'local' experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank MayorMike12
Dear MayorMike12,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. Guests leaving “100% relaxed” is definitely our goal. Our guests and their satisfaction are our priority and we are so pleased you noticed that dedication. It is wonderful that Vernon and Lady Sarah along with the team made your “stay perfect!”

Your tips on dining are excellent. Your description of Cleveland is spot on and thank you for sharing your experience. It is a little hard to define for our guests as it is a bit of a unique offering but you explain it so well.

The restaurant on the Beach that you liked is the Beach Club Café. A new restaurant called Twisted Lime has opened in short walking distance and there is also the Spritz restaurant.

We really hope that we can welcome you back to Sandyport in the near future. We are continuing to make improvements to the property and are dedicated to making the resort even better.

Sussex County, NJ
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Read this entire review before coming to any conclusions!
We arrived at lunch time on a Saturday. We did not get our room until 4pm. Our first room, which was a 1 bedroom, was lovely. But, the air conditioner in the bedroom did not work and the other air conditioner didn’t cool it down, so we were moved to another 1 bedroom. This room was not so nice. It was shabbier than the first but had a nice view and would do… BUT, the couch did not pull out to a bed. Problem here since we had our child with us. It took almost an hour to get the second room and we checked the couch right away (thank goodness). We were told we would get a brand new mattress/rollaway. When we returned from dinner around 9:30, still no bed! Now, one of the best employees there is Cameron. He was the person on staff at the front desk for the evenings. He will go out of his way to make sure you are happy – to the point of doing something the other staff members should be doing. The new rollaway he finally found was far from new and was unusable! I mean to the degree of a health hazard. We all slept in the 1 bed that evening.
The next morning I made a trip to Vernon’s office (he is the resort manager). He was beyond accommodating. He switched our room, even upgraded us to ensure that we ALL had an enjoyable stay. AND WE DID!!!
The resort is off the beach, but a really short walk under the road way to get there. The restaurant on the beach has fantastic food! The conch fritters were the best on the island and the conch salad was one of the best as well. Cocktails to die for. Don’t be in any hurry, the drinks alone take a long time to make (any fruit used is freshly prepared). The Poop Deck (another restaurant) paled in comparison to this restaurant! Their conch fritters were mostly bread :-(
Back to the resort: there is a pool with 2 small slides which the kids of all ages (including the adults) enjoyed. The pool water is warm so you really got to enjoy being in it. The resort is on the water but it is an inlet/channel (with million dollar homes). All enjoyed swimming in the channel as well. We even got to see the stingrays swimming around there.
Now, the best deal going (on the entire island) is Chef Cleveland. You will not find any eateries on the island that serves better, fresher or reasonably priced meals. For $25 per person, you get an appetizer, main course and mixed drinks all prepared in front of you. You have to order and pay CASH for your dinner in the morning so he can shop for all the ingredients. We had him cook for us 2 nights and we ate like kings. Conch salad to die for, grouper like no other (I’m not a fish eater but could have eaten more, it was that good), jerk chicken, cracked conch, curried chicken, sides, drinks; I wish I could have eaten more. The portions were huge.
We would go back there. And if you decide to book this resort, you won’t be disappointed. However, you will have to be patient and willing to do some things yourself. Housekeeping is not the best. I did clean a few things in the kitchen before cooking. When they cleaned the rooms on Wednesday, they took all the used towels but didn’t replace them with any clean ones (I got lucky and found a cart while walking to the front desk and just grabbed all the towels I needed). They are very remiss at keeping towels at the pool like they are supposed to, and at the end of the day, will walk around picking up towels on the chairs while you’re in the pool (so you don’t have any towel when you get out of the pool).
The waters were a bit rough on the west side of the island which kept us from snorkeling the first few days, but we found a place called Jaws Beach which was a perfect place to swim (and some snorkeling) for an afternoon. Not everyone knows Jaws Beach, so if you are looking for it, make a left out of Sandyport. I believe it is on the northern side of the island. We also booked a day with Dolphin Encounters. We spent the entire day on the island Blue Lagoon, swam with the dolphins and had a great time (we easily made a full day of being on this island). We wanted to snorkel at Love Beach/Nirvana but didn’t get a chance to (too happy pool side with other guests).
Careful, the island is not inexpensive. Food is more expensive the NY metropolitan area. Activities are also expensive, so if you’re taking the kids, start saving. And have fun!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank reallyobnoxious
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Reallyobnoxious,

Thank you for your very detailed review of your recent stay with us. We are so pleased that you had a "great time". I was quite concerned at the start of your review and apologize for the difficulties that you had in finding a satisfactory room. I am so pleased though that Vernon and Cameron were able to turn your experience around.

Your username really did make me giggle but I would like to thank you for all of your constructive comments, which, I will definitely be raising in our management meeting. We will work on the attention to detail. We have had extremely high occupancy recently along with a few hiccups with the A/C units as we moved into summer. I am pleased to say that the Maintenance team are now on top of the A/C units and that they should not be a problem going forward.

One tip that I would like to add regarding our 4pm check in time is to bring a day bag. Very few airlines stay overnight in Nassau, consequently, planes arrive early with arriving passengers before then flying out with departing passengers later in the day. This does put a lot of arrival pressure on the resort. We will try to accommodate early arrivals but we can not guarantee check in before 4pm. We do want you to get your vacation started as early as possible though. We recommend that you pack a day bag at the top of your suitcase. Include swim suits and beach clothes along with sunscreen. We can then store your other luggage, provide you with a changing room and some towels and you can head straight to the beach or pool.

I am so pleased that you "would go back there. And if you decide to book this resort, you won’t be disappointed." We really do hope to welcome you back soon and to Wow you next time.

virginia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The hotel staff was mainly friendly and very helpful, especially Cameron! The grounds are a little run down, and rooms are privately owned, so it's hard to know what to expect. The staff was very accommodating for us when our room didn't have a kitchen. They moved us to one with a kitchen at no charge.

The hotel has a computer in the lobby that's free to use before 11pm. There was hardly anyone at it, so it was easy for me to communicate with people at home. Everything is very easy to get to at the resort, but the location itself is pretty far from downtown, costing a $20 cab ride each time we wanted to go (there isn't really anything around the resort itself. Sort of a desolate area). If it's during the day, you can take the bus downtown for $1.25 each way. It stops often though and can be a bit of an experience.

Everything in Nassau is very expensive, so I recommend buying snacks/quick food at the marina store right out of the front gate of the hotel and getting a room with a kitchenette (came complete with silverware, dishes, microwave, fridge, sink, cabinets, etc.). This was a great feature and saved us a lot of money dining out.

I would recommend this resort for someone on a budget or a couple who really want to just relax and not leave the premises. The beach was beautiful and there was hardly anyone there. The restaurant onsite had an amazingggg lobster salad sandwich! If you're used to staying in the Ritz or Marriott though you'll have to lower your expectations. While the staff is great and very helpful and rooms are clean, this is not that kind of resort.

Room Tip: get one with a kitchen near the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank melovebug
Dear melovebug,

Thank you very much for your recommendation as a "resort for someone on a budget or a couple who really want to just relax".

The resort is a smaller and quieter resort than many of the others on the island. Many guests comment on the atmosphere, rest and relaxation and the hospitality of our team. If you can pull yourself away from your hammock though our concierge can assist with booking all of the best activities the island has to offer.

I am guessing that your first room was the Hotel Bedroom which does not come with kitchen facilities. I am guessing that you were then upgraded to a Studio which has a partial kitchen. The studio is the same size as the hotel bedroom but has the advantage of a partial kitchen and a dining table for 2. We have just added a 32" flat screen TV's as well. For those wishing a bit more space have a look at the One Bedroom Deluxe Suite.

I am so pleased that you found the kitchen "a great feature and saved us a lot of money dining out." Due to importation duties and transportation food and in fact many things on the island are more expensive than you may be used to at home. Many of our guests agree with you that an in room kitchen can provide big savings and offers convenience

I do hope to welcome you back to Sandyport in the near future. You might like to know that I just put on some extremely good sales on-line for the summer or contact us directly at the resort.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed May 31, 2012

In a few words...the pics must be from about 20 years ago and about 5 hurricanes ago. I am a traveler. I've used RCI several times. This is my 1st experience with unsanitary condition. It has nothing to do with me wanting 5 star amenities etc. I am a very very lowkey kind of traveler. However, I would tell any and EVERYONE please do your research. Please do not go if you want clean, sanitized living space on vacation.

I am not exaggerating. I actually love to read Trip advisor prior to going on vacations. However, I figured the bad reviews were all exaggerations. They ARE NOT! I will post the horrific photos once I get the pics loaded up. Do not stay here or you will be miserable!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dirty! Unsanitary. I ended up getting some of my money back and a week trip on RCI!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank wrdcrystl
Dear wrdcrystl,

We are very sorry that your experience at Sandyport Beaches Resort did not meet yours or our expectations. I understand from Vernon Moss, our General Manager, that he did meet with you on numerous occasions during your stay and that we extended every courtesy possible to try and turn your vacation around and make your stay a positive one. Ultimately, I am sorry to say that compensation was the only option.

There was a small leak in your room behind the toilet that our maintenance manager did repair during your stay. At no time were conditions unsanitary. We are a fully licensed hotel that undergoes regulatory inspections. We are rated by RCI as Silver Crown standard. This award is given based upon reviews made by RCI guests to RCI about their stays with us. We have a full maintenance team on staff.

We try very hard at Sandyport to satisfy all of our guests but sometimes despite our best efforts this is not always possible. I am sorry that this is the case here.

We have tried to contact you regarding some items that you left in your room so that we can forward them to you. Tripadvisor restricts us from asking you to contact us but we do hope that you will advise us of how you would like your items forwarded to you.

Bellingham
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Sandypot is a great place whether you want to do all the want to do water activities or just sit on the patio and soad up the sun and island breezes. The beach bar is open every day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks. The staff is wonderful and on Sunday morning they greet all their guest with donuts, juice and coffee and an overview of what going that week. My husband and I enjoyed it so much we actually bought time share there in Feb. and Oct. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Any room is excellent but my favorite is facting the lagoon
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pat Y
Dear Pat Y,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are so pleased that you are members with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sandyport Beaches Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to Sandyport Beach Resort? Share your experiences!