“Don't Go to Cabbage beach or .....”
Review of Cabbage Beach

and up
Nassau Fitness and Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #12 of 129 things to do in Nassau
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Anywhere else that is not withyour cruise provider. These locals are rude, money hungry and don't value tourism. We had the worst time when we decided to go to Cabbage beach. Locals pouncing on us to sell you stuff, hissing when you decline to buy something from them. One lady had rented a chair and umbrella and decided to leave after a short time. She decided to let me use it. When I sat on it, 3 locals jumped on my telling me to get off of it cause it wasn't my chair. I told them that the lady told me to use it as it was paid for the rest of the day. I was cursed at and they said that they would call the police if I did not get up from the chair. A so called "beach security guard" looking more like a street thug came point his finger at my face and yelling saying that he was the "Boss of the beach" and that I needed to "give up the chair right away" or "else". As for the actual beach the waves were very rough, dirty and full of peddlers trying to make a score with their overpriced items. When we finally left the beach (after an hour) about 25 taxis were out there like hawks trying to pick up a fair and fighting among each others for passengers. The cabs were nasty and smelled of sweat, onions and underarm odor. The whole thing just ruined my day. Later that night, while commenting what happened to a few of my fellow cruisers they said they had similar experience that day. One cruiser told me that she and her family just decided to take a walk along the pier and local women were chasing after them to braid her daughter's hair and they starting taunting her and demanding money after she said no. Then they started cursing at them when they realized that the cruisers were not biting. Again, DO NOT GO OFF ON YOUR OWN IN THE BAHAMAS. People are nasty and it can be dangerous.

1  Thank Marte429

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have been to Nassau many times on cruises, so we were looking for something different to do. After being talked into the taxi for $4 a person, we were dropped off with instructions to go up a shady dirt hill, walk down some rocks, and there you will find a beautiful beach. Okay, easy enough... and the truth is, it is a beautiful beach. The water is gorgeous, but the beach is littered, and really, if you don't care for locals bothering you, well, I don't recommend it. I don't mind the locals, everyone has to make money and this is what they know. Yes, the chairs are expensive, but we did end up with some nice drinks for $20 all day refills, and my husband and friends agreed, it was pretty watered down, but then snuck up on you later on (typical grain alcohol)... My only complaint was no bathrooms, as the surf is way too strong to get in. I saw many loose tops and bottoms, and some thought this was a European beach. Not a bother to me, but there was lots of kids for this sort of view. Recommended not to take your kids in the water, and if you are not a strong swimmer, don't go in. All in all, something different to do for the day instead of going straight to Senor Frogs to get wasted...

1  Thank LarsonWifey88
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We visited this beach on Friday, September 13, 2013 while sailing on the Carnival Fantasy ship. We had completed a little homework before we debarked the ship and had made up our minds to pay the day fee at a local hotel for use of their towels, chairs, umbrella, pool and beach. We let a taxi driver talk us into a shorter ride, lower fare (by $1.00 per person) and dumped us off at the "Atlantis" beach. That was a bunch of crap - it was at least a quarter mile to one edge of the Atlantis resort where you could go "sneak" by the security guard and use their bathroom. Once outside of the taxi you have to walk up this creepy dirt path and when you get to the bottom of the path there are about 10 locals waiting to pounce on you to sell chairs, umbrellas, drinks, etc. Three chairs and one umbrella was $50 per day. You could buy a coconut drink for $20 and get refills all day -- this guy would even be the bartender - never saw him again. The drinks were from fruit punch canisters and had very little spirits. All day long people came by to sell rides on jet skis, banana boats, scarves, towels, turtles, cigars, etc. The beach was very busy by the afternoon. But, most of all, I would not recommend this beach is because of the under current suft of this beach. It is deceiving -- appears fairly calm and then boom, you are over your head with huge waves. It was almost impossible to walk out of the surf. I learned later that this particular stretch of beach is famous for riptide currents. I also learned that there are other beaches that have calm waters all the time, that are less crowded and cleaner (I had to trash to thrown away and couldn't find a trashcan). If I ever go back to Nassau, I will not let a taxi driver choose my destination.

5  Thank Kay P
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The must see beach in Nassau, Bahamas.The water is very clear, and the sand is so soft and comfortable. Jetski is good price compare to miami beach or key west. Remember you can bargain the price.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were at this beach last Saturday and I was extremely disappointed. This beach was littered with garbage. The chairs and umbrellas were expensive and in poor condition. The garbage pails that are located on the path need to be moved down onto the beach and maybe, just maybe, people will actually use them. There are so many really nice beaches in the Caribbean, but this is not one of them (but it could be if it was cleaned up).