“Find a Beach Away From the Port”
Review of Junkanoo Beach

Ranked #13 of 123 things to do in Nassau
Keller, Texas
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Find a Beach Away From the Port”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Let me start by saying that I am a beach snob. I have traveled the world seeking out some of the most beautiful beaches. We took a cruise to the Bahamas and Nassau was one of our stops. I spent a great deal of time researching the best things to do, the best places to go to get away from the crowds and the best beaches to flock to. We took a snorkel trip during our stop in Nassau to purposely get away from the tourist trap that is the port area of downtown Nassau. We stopped at a secluded beach on Atholl Island for the afternoon, which was beautiful. There was no one else on the beach but the 10 of us. The beach was clean and the water was warm and full of curious sea life. When we returned to port we had some time left before we had to load back onto the ship so a few of us walked over to Junkanoo Beach to check it out. The walk was quite short from the port, 10 minutes or so. The beach was all but empty as the cruise ships had left or was in preparation to leave. I found the beach, butted up next to Fat Tuesday and a busy street, to be a bit underwhelming. The beach was dirty, with trash in the water and in the sand and shards of glass strew about. I will say that we did not venture down too far as we did not have a lot of time to spend. Please keep in mind that the Bahamas have miles and miles of amazing beaches, some secluded, some with all the amenities you could ask for. If you just want a place close to port that you can quickly walk to and setup camp for the day, then Junkanoo will suffice. There are any number of beaches that are much better not too much further away. Junkanoo does have all the amenities with food, drinks, restrooms and changing areas and location in regards to the port. This is not the worst beach I have ever encountered, but it certainly is towards the bottom of the list. I will say this...try the Junkanoo Juice.

Visited January 2014

89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Twice in 2 months!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I honestly have NOTHING bad at all to say about Junkanoo Beach. I came on cruises back in November and again in December. It's a short walk from the ship, about 10 minutes. When you leave the port area, make a right and keep walking. There are restroom facilities and a few places to get food and drinks. I love the big red tiki bar adjacent to the restroom. The bartenders and owners are so friendly, food is good and drinks are strong. I was never confronted by peddlers to buy anything, legal or otherwise if you catch my drift. I was a solo traveler on both trips and never once felt unsafe. I never saw any broken glass and walked around without my flip flops without any hesitation. I guess it goes to show that different people have different experiences here, as Junkanoo Beach has some bad reviews but I've had two great days.

Visited December 2013
6 Thank thejetsettergirl
Orlando, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“I heard of it's improvement. No more rocks”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

While on my cruise I decided to go there instead of the other more popular beaches in Nassau because it was within walking distance from the cruise ship port. There was no fees to get on the beach and beach chair rentals were also available for a cost. A friend told me that about 3 years ago it was filled with rocks which made it difficult for her to enjoy the beach. It was perfect for me, with the exception of a few sea weed plants where the sand meets the water. There were a few guys who had glass canoes or jet skies of which I participated in. Other than that, it was filled with people, a live band and a bar/food shack right on the beach. The scenery was breathtaking and a great photo-op for those who wants cruise ships in the background of their photos. I loved the photos of me with the lighthouse in the background

Visited February 2014
5 Thank LorraineTravels
lake city
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Walk to a nice little beach from your cruise ship!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Been to Nassau many times on cruise ships and not much to do but shop.Found Junkanoo beach by accident while walking and what a great little beach it is! Water is clear, nice view of a lighthouse and the cruise ships, chairs and drinks are available for a reasonable fee and we liked the relaxed atmosphere!, Was short walk from cruise pier. Very safe feeling and relaxing and the folks running the food hut where great. Bathrooms available too! Will go again next trip!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Kim T
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Nice Beach Close To Ship Port”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We looked for a beach close to the ship port and Junkanoo Beach was it. A 10 minute walk from the ship, across the street from the Hilton hotel. We arrived about 9 am and they had few people working on cleaning the beach, the beach was clean when we got there, but they cleaned any sea weed and emptied the trash cans. We did not find any broken glass or any garbage in the sand. They also had some people cleaning the bathrooms, I don't know if they where employees of the government or just working for tips. There was a container for tips at both entrances to the bathrooms. I was impressed how clean it was inside, I live in Florida and wish they would maintain the beaches and the bathrooms the same way. There are few vendors that have booths or huts on the beach that sell beverages, gifts, massage etc, the vendors did not bother people frequenting the beach, various beach chairs, umbrellas and towels available for rent. The beach is free and you did not have to spend money for an excursion to enjoy a very lovely beach, not very large but enjoyable.

Visited January 2014