“Day pass while on Carnival cruise was awesome”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Day pass while on Carnival cruise was awesome”
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My wife and I were on a carnival cruise and we purchased a day pass for Sandals for about $110 a person. You actually buy them at the hotel lobby and any cab driver knows where this is. Our cab ride from the port was 20 bucks each way.

While somewhat expensive unless you spend the entire day there, everything is inclusive and it was worth it. Multiple pools, private island that you can take a boat ride over to. We ate breakfast and lunch and meals were great. Top notch service and one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed.

If buying a day pass, make sure you can spend plenty of time...we got in a good, solid 7-8 hours and it was worth it. Don't push it until the last minue though as traffic can sometimes be bad on the island. And also, if you've never been outside the US or to the bahamas, be aware that everyone drives like a maniac :-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Carolinahrguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,000)
  • Polish first
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed September 30, 2010

my wife and myself stay at your hotel from august 30 - September 5, 2010. And this is one of the best vacation we had, what make it so remarkable is the fact that the GM. Mr J. Mutton and Megumi take their time out to let my wife and myself feel at home a way from home.
We don't know how to say thanks to everyone who help to make our vacation what it was.
Ho yes we are looking to be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Just got back from 8 days at Sandals Royal Bahamian and we had an amazing time. The only reason my rating isn't a 5 is that service was very slow and by the end of the week I was a bit annoyed.

Food: 10 places to eat in total- 11 if you're a butler guest- all with amazing food. The only place we didnt eat was Baccarat because neither my husband or myself are big on French food. But everything else was amazing. Fish & chips at the Pub are better than anything I've had at home in "real" Irish/English pubs. Prime rib at the Crystal Room was some of the best ever. Personal, custom order pizzas were fantastic! I was suprised that there was only 1 buffet place and it was only for breakfast and lunch. All other places were order off the menu. And only 2-3 places are open for dinner each night, at least during low season. You can work in all 10 over the course of a week stay but you don't have too many choices on any one given night.

There was no room service- when we called and asked about it they said you can walk to the pub for late night food and they wrap it up to go for you. Not exactly room service...

Word to wise: if you are used to American restaurant portions, order an appetizers, entree and dessert for each person at mealtime. The portions are not very large. E.g. an appetizer at the pub was 3 mozzerella sticks the size of my pink finger and 3 small jalenpeno poppers total.

Rooms: We stayed in a Ocean View Honeymoon Suite. From other reviews I learned that ocean view might not actually mean ocean view so I called ahead and let them know I expected ocean view. I'm glad to say our room did have a great view. Bed was large and comfy, sitting area was nice, bathroom had a HUGE 2 person bath tub which was awesome.

My only room complaint was the TV. They had awesome channels like Showtime & HBO but the TV sound would cut out pretty often and you'd have to turn the TV off and back on to get the sound back. Aaannnddd the DVDs you can check out for free are newer movies but they are bootleg! Such bad quality we didn't even finish the movie.

Beach/Pools: They have 2 huge pools; one a quiet, relaxing pool and one a party pool with "play makers" who keep music and games going all day. I loved the party pool and spent every day there. The beach was clean, sandy and wonderful. Only down side was locals trying to sell goods got pretty pushy- one even made a comment about I should buy something from her since I looked happy from getting so much sex on my honeymoon.... ummm awkward much.

Offshore Island: AMAZING!!! Felt like you were a million miles away if you went to the far side of the island. Has a pool and restautant but the best part are the tiki lounge beds. I advise taking the first 10am ferry though to get the best spot.

Weather: We went during hurricane season and it rained for 10 minutes of 1 day. The rest of the time was perfect! 85-90 with a breeze. Upside to going this time of year was it was not crowded at all.

Activities: Fun trivia games at the pool everday such as Name That Tune, volleyball, salsa lessons at night, wine tasting events etc. There was also a huge "junkanoo" street party out front of the resort on Friday night that was a blast with local dancing, food, face painting etc.

Spa: I had the 80 min West Indian massage with a 35 min Feet First Reflexology massage and I actually fell asleep on the table! It was amazing and the spa is gorgeous.

Service: Here is my only complaint. I'm used to quick, American style service. You could walk into the buffet restaurant for lunch and with open tables and no line of people waiting to sit down it could take- literally- 5 mins for a server/hostess to even acknowledge you! Then another 10 mins for a server to ask if you wanted a drink and another 10 mins to get a coke. We also called down for more waters or cokes for our fridge 2-3 times and it took almost an hour to get them. I guess when you're not working for tips that's what happens...? Who knows. Staff were VERY friendly and even though I'm sure they are told to say hi to every guest, they seem genuine and warm.

Cleanliness: Everything was always clean, good smelling and I only saw 1 place (the inside bottom of our bathroom door) that needed some paint. But really- who cares about the inside bottom of a bathroom door? The resort is not new. The Manor building is much newer/nicer than the Windsor block (where we stayed) but our building seemed more fun and closer to the action/pools/beach/fun.

Guests: Mostly American and Canadians, which is different than many resorts I've been to that were primarily European or Latin American. Everyone was friendly and talkative, not hard to make other couples friends at all. Mostly 30-40 year old with some older guests. At 26 I felt like the youngest person on the resort!

Overall, we loved our trip and would recommend it to anyone but we'd try other Sandals before we'd go back. The best part of the whole place are the oceanfront lounge beds that have fire pits. You have to wait a bit to get one but once you have one, you can lounge for hours listening to the waves and the fire and its SO romantic!

1 Thank MPLStraveler83
kansas
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Stayed at our 5th Sandals property fot the 7th time. We have not been to St lucia, Antigua, or another allinclusive so bear that in mind. We are Sandals Select guests. We found this resort to be our second favorite. It is completly beautiful we just kinda miss the Jamaican vibe so the Whitehouse is still our favorite.
That being said we arrived on the 22 of September expecting the lowest priced room that we had paid for and had been upgraded to a wonderful ocean view concierge room. I dont know if it was for being returning guest or because it was my partners bithday during our stay. We booked through Unique vacations and were very happy with our room.
While we were being checked in I went to the returning guest desk to ask about the returning guest dinner and found out it would be that night. I was due to receive my gold sandals as this would be our 56th night milestone. I was told there would be no sandals just recognition because they usually mail them out. I expressed extreme concern about this as I was going to use these to propose. Learning this and hearing my story the represenative said she would see what she could do . This was at 1:00 pm and the dinnerwas at 6:00 pm . We finished checking in and went and had lunch. We wore our suits on the plane so we then hit the beach and pools returning later to be taken to our room to unpack and get ready for the dinner, I had no message so I assumed nothing had been done about my request. At the dinner I was aproached by the actual returning guest agent who told me he had been told the story and had arranged to have some gold sandals placed in a box if I still wanted to propose. As the ceremony progressed they skipped over me and my partner thought it was because they wwere gonn get to us at the end and sing happy B-day or other embaracing things to him. Instead they said they had a first and asked me to tell my story. With a shaky voice I proceeded to explain and ask him to marry me. It was really wonderful of all to go that extra mile in a very short notice to make that night very memorable for us. Thank You all at Royal Bahamian .
The dinner was quite good and we received two large bags of coffee . They dropped balloons and told us we would have a boat ride on Friday . The ride was cancelled due to the bad seas but they took us on a tour instead.
The rest of the food was quite good. The pub was slow . The lunches at Spices were probably the most dissapointing part of the dining experience. We felt the quality and chices were sorely lacking compared to other buffets we have had at Sandals. We found the service there yo be fine with none of the complaints others have stated. The Baccarat was quite good and we ordered almost one of everthing on the menu. We were there a long time an really enjoyed the meal. Crystal room was also amazing. Kimonos was good and both of the street and island buffet were quite good. We never mad it to the italian place ecept for berakfast that was basically the same as breakfast at spices. Both were passable but not great and with no real local options. Lunch was better at the island or the pizza place. Nothing rally fancy but good aftera day of sun, fun and maybe alcohol.
Night life was a little lacking but most of the singers were amazing and the magician was quite good. The pub was where we spent most late nights . Ansel there made the best drinks and would go to other bars to get more alcohol if you drank them out.We also really enjoyed the fire pits and even fell asleep net to them listening to the waves and music. I do wish they would have lit the fire pits on the island during the island party.
We had no problems with sand flees or mosquitoes and I wish I wouldnt have wasted the space on bug spray. We did not check luggage and I could have used it. I listened to the reviews here and well I guess better safe than sorry.
The beaches were of decent size especially the island, We snockled off them on our own and saw alot of fish and an anemone . We made it out to the little cay off the main cay. Not alot out there but neat to see a different look . So primitive and shows how rugged thes islands must have started out,
The grounds are amazing , Very manicured and well kept. I cannot see what anyone could complain about .
We did go to Atlantis on a day when there were supposed to be very few cruise ships docked. I really cant imagine what it must be like when there are lots because it was packed when they were there and quite quite after. The beachs at Atlantis are amazing and make Sandals look small but they also have tocater to TONS of people . We enjoyed the Aquarium and the water slides and river. We found this resort to be nice and worth the money as a trip but dont think we would want to stay here.
We also did the fish market and enjoyed the conch. We didnt try the more pricy things.
We talked to tons of people from all over and heard very few complaints about this resort. The few complaints we heard can be easily over come. I would recomend this resort to anyone.

1 Thank oneloveforever
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I just returned from 4 night-5 day stay at the Royal Bahamian Sandals resort and loved every minute of our vacation. We live in Canada, but decided to book this trip through a US travel agent – Mike McHugh co-owner of Dream Makers Vacation Services. Mike and his wife Amy send a ton of clients to Sandals & Beaches resorts – so their customers get treated very well. I normally book all of our vacations myself on line – but knowing that Sandals/Beaches don’t offer any discounts (the price, is the price), there was no benefit to book this myself…and in fact the opposite happened – we lucked out “big time” as a result of having booked our trip with these agents. We are already planning a return trip to the Bahamas in the spring - maybe next time with friends :)

As we were traveling without our kids, we decided to splurge and book a butler service higher end room. (Apparently the basic/cheapest rooms aren’t that great). However when we arrived, we were upgraded to the top level room – Windsor Ocean view suite – based on our well-connected travel agent, Dream Makers:) The room included a living room with small dining table, the bedroom and a nice bathroom with big tub. With butler service we received a private car transfer to/from the airport in a Mercedes one way and stretch limo the other way. The GM of the hotel greeted us when we arrived to welcome us to the hotel. Our butler, Delino, took us directly to our room, pointing out pools, bars & restaurants on the way. We completed our check in process in our suite, while enjoying a bottle of champagne. The bar in our room was stocked with beer, wine and liquor – including our favourite items that had been requested before we left home (butler profile). Restaurant reservations had already been made for us at each of the “reservation only” restaurants: Kimonos, Baccarat and Gordon’s on the Pier. For the rest of our stay – our butlers, Dianna and Delino took care of any other needs: reserving beach huts on the private island, ordering a pizza for afternoon snack so that it was ready by the time the boat came back from island, drawing a hot bath with rose petals and music for after dinner etc.

General tips
- head to the Sandals Cay private island on your first full day – take the first boat to ensure that you get a good spot. (if you have butler service, make sure to tell them you want a cabana on the island). We absolutely loved the island. There’s a pool, restaurant and swim up bar there
- try to get a reservation at Baccarat – the French restaurant. This was our favourite. Ask for a table overlooking the pool. The beef/duck main courses were great
- Kimonos was good – very similar to Japanese Teppanyaki restaurants at home, but the chefs are characters and have fun while making your meal
- We enjoyed the piano-sing along bar at night – after 9pm I think
- When you order a mixed drink, if you want a special brand of Rum, Vodka, Gin etc…ask for it – if you just say “vodka/cranberry” – they’ll give you the cheap local stuff…but if you request Stoli, Absolut etc…you’ll get that
- Gordon’s on Pier was ok – we thought Baccarat was better. The setting/view at Gordon’s is really nice and worth the visit
- Pizza grill is great spot for afternoon snack and the other 2 restaurants: Spices and Royal are ok
- Friday night Junkanoo street party is a lot of fun – there is music, bars, food stalls…so don’t make a dinner reservation on this night if you plan to go to the street party
- Take advantage of room service for breakfast if you can – nice having breakfast on your patio overlooking the resort was great
- Reserve your pool chair/beach chair before you go to breakfast, as the good spots get full quick and people seem to spend the whole day (your butler will do this for you)
- Enjoy the swim up pool bars – they’re great!!
- even if you don't work out - head to the gym at some point and check out the view - best in the area

Few complaints
- music from Cricketeer club at night is really loud – we had to crank the air conditioning in our room to try and block out the “outside street noise”
- there isn’t a ton going on in terms of night life – ie no disco ….this was ok for us, as we were tired at night after a long day drinking in the sun
- breakfast options are rather limited – read this complaint from someone else on trip advisor…would be nice to see more than just the “usual” eggs, pancakes etc
- The resort wasn’t that busy when we were there – so restaurant options were a bit limited – but on the flip side, if the hotel were 100% full, it would have been trickier to get reservations or to even get a pool chair etc
- Beds aren’t the most comfortable hotel beds…compared to westin etc (read this from someone else too)
If you’ve traveled to many all inclusive resorts – you’ll find other resorts that are bigger and maybe a bit “fancier” than this Sandals hotel – but the service more than made up for these gaps and we enjoyed the size of this place, since if you forgot anything, you didn’t have to walk for ever to go back and get it (like at Atlantis etc.

5 Thank meredithweir
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I read dozens of reviews on this site before booking our vacation at Sandals Royal Bahamian. So in this review I will answer the questions I had in hopes of assisting someone else.

September Weather - we had the edges of Hurricane Igor causing strong wind and choppy water. It was still mostly sunny and very warm. It didn't make time on the beach any less enjoyable but there was a small craft advisory so we couldn't take out any sailboats, kayaks etc while we were there and they canceled snorkeling trips on 5 out of the 7 days we stayed. The staff said weather like this is rare. Things calmed significantly the day we left and since we had only one short and rather romantic rain shower while we were on the beach, I can't complain!

Resort - we stayed in the Royal Village Honeymoon Suite and it was spacious and beautiful. It is set back behind the main resort and is very quiet and secluded. Though we did not have an ocean view, we really enjoyed the walk through the gardens back to our private room each night. The most noise we heard were occasional footsteps up and down the stairs in the villa. The grounds at the resort are elegant. There are seven pools and only one of them had loud music playing so you could find a peaceful place to relax. The resort was not crowded in September and there were plenty of pool chairs and floats to go around .

Beaches - Beautiful! They even rake up the seaweed each morning to keep the sand pretty. We preferred the beach on the small island as it was very secluded and quiet.

Butler Service - We enjoyed the butler service. There were nice surprises left in our room every night for turn-down service. We had a cell phone with us to call our butler whenever we needed anything, our dinner reservations were made in advance, and we could reserve a cabana on the private island (in high demand) any time we wanted to. We had three different butlers. We tipped them $40 each. When all the DVDs were checked out at the resort, Melekah brought us DVDs from her home to watch.

Staff - Everyone on the resort is extremely friendly and courteous. I could not imagine a nicer more helpful staff anywhere.

Food - Mediocre at best. Lots of folks said so in their reviews so I expected it. The restaurants in order from best to worst are : Baccarat, Gordon's, Kimonos, Pizza Grill, Spices, Casanova, Cafe Goombay,Cricketers Pub. I sent my dinner back more than once to try something else. My biggest complaint is that the food wasn't always warm and sometimes tasted freezer burned- like they took it out of the freezer and didn't heat it properly. But as it's all inclusive you can eat as many entrees as you like! Also all the desserts are a variation on bland cakes and lots of whip cream. We don't drink so I can't review the bar service, but I know that most people seemed very happy!

Spa- I had a swedish massage and my hubby had a deep tissue massage. We felt that they were fine, but not exceptional and cost twice as much as we'd pay at our local spa.

Scuba - The scuba diving staff and instructors, particularly Donny and Reggie were extremely solicitous and patient with us. I was VERY nervous to dive and they were professional, patient, supportive and encouraging. Truly fantastic.

Length of stay - we stayed for 7 nights. I felt that I had experienced all the resort had to offer and had enjoyed the beach and local sights after about 5 days. I was ready to go! But we didn't visit other resorts like Atlantis, which many people do. Our only trip outside the resort was to the straw market, which was fun to visit.

Overall - we enjoyed our time there celebrating our Tenth Anniversary. We would recommend it to someone looking for an elegant beach getaway. We are not among the crowd that would continue to book at Sandals resorts throughout the Carribean. It was fun, we did it - but next time we'll do something else!

1 Thank KMOM2010
boston, ma
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I absolutely loved the hotel and i am actually planning to return again this year. I have two recommendations one about the food. For breakfast all that is served is the traditional buffet breakfast of eggs and bacon. The same that i can get if i am going to florida. If i am traveling out of the country then i want to eat the food of the region that i am visiting because i know in the bahamas the locals do not eat eggs for breakfast. And eggs is what was served everyday. So i would re ommend serving bahamian food at breakfast. My second recommendation is. in regards to the service at the pool bar. All of the staff went out of the way to provide great service and this was not the case with the bartenders at the pool bar. I would recommend the same service at the pool bar of course.

• Stayed September 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection