Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
“Hated It!!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2005

My fiance' and I waited over 8 months to go on this vacation. Looking at the book Sandals advertises we expected a wonderful vacation. We stayed in the Windsor Building in a suite with butler service. We were picked up by a chauffer and Rolls Royce from the airport. After several e-mails to the Sandals Manager telling him of our arrival time, we still had to wait a good 40 minutes for our driver to arrive. Once we got to the resort we were greeted by our 'personal' butler. She was also attending to many other guests. She gave us champagne and a cool towel that smelled of mold. The champagne tasted like vinegar. Then we were told to get something to eat because our room wasn't ready. We had to sit outside at a cafe in 90 degree weather and eat the most disgusting food I have ever eaten. The fruit and cheese platter I ordered had fruit that looked like it was sitting on the plate for 3 days, it wasn't ripe. The cheese must have came from the airplane. I was so disapppointed. When we finally got to our room I was amazed at how they can charge so much money and call themselves a 5 star hotel. The room smelled like mildew, the furniture was outdated and dirty. The bathroom fixtures were tarnished, the tub was very high and hard to get in and out of. There was a black residue on the bottom of the tub. From that day on it just got worse. Every restaraunt the food was less than average. It all looked and tasted like a tv dinner. The pools were beautiful however, one day our pool was cloudy all day. The beach is very small. The private island is run down with caution tape around the hot tub. The food on that island was horrible. The people cooking it made me feel I had to hold on to my money tighter. I was afraid to eat anything for fear they didn't have good hygeine. I was never so disappointed about anything in my life. The resort is in bad need of a renovation and needs to higher real chefs that know how to cook not use a microwave. The entertainment was awful and the games by the pool were annoying. I'm trying to relax and they are yelling and screaming silly games that approximately 5 people joined in to play. Sandal's needs help....

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,079)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 27, 2005

Let me warn fellow travelers. Sandals is not worth the money. (at least in my humble opinion) We were expecting lush tropical gardens for our honeymoon and knew from the first turn on a crowded street into the Sandals Resort, we were in for some surprises!
Sure, they greet you with champagne and a cold towel, but after that! It's all a facade. Our first meal was terrible. Our drinks were made with flat soda and cheap mixers. (though top shelf alcohol apparently) and the food was terrible--- it reminded us of high school cafeteria food. Ick! Thus far, not seeming worth the fortune we paid.
Once our room was finally ready--- more nightmares! Our room was damp and smelly! You couldn't sit anywhere without getting up and being wet! We complained immediately and were given keys to another room. As any Sandals guest will soon find out, this is standard Sandals practice. They will switch your room a gazillion times-- until you finally settle or just give up after lugging your belongings from room to room.
Our next room, our room for the night.. was a top-notch suite. Apparently the best they have. It looked nice, but as we all know, looks can be deceiving. We went to lay down in the bed to find soiled sheets! How revolting! I had the heeby jeebies for days. Well, they replaced the sheets. (but with another "stained" set) Disgusting!
Being unable to sleep, we tried eating. The food was mediocre to say the least.
Upon return to our room later that evening, we were greeted with some lovely creepy crawler friends. Big, I mean huge! beetles, roaches, something... we killed a bunch of them and decided we had enough of our Sandals stay.
We both tried to sleep (with one eye open, mind you) but found it difficult. Despite being fully clothed, down to slippers even! My skin was crawling and I just couldn't relax enough to sleep.
We wandered over the 24 hour pub to be served some more terrible tasting drinks and eat some more disgusting food. Crowding the pub were loud, tasteless, drunken couples. It was an obnoxious crowd to say the least.
Prior to this, I went to iron some clothes. Ha! What was I thinking? The iron was crusted over with some white mildew/mold/water build-up that immediately transferred onto my black pants and again left me disappointed.
We found the most peace while trying to sleep on a lawn chair outside by the pool. Though, it wasn't the most comfortable chair either.
Having spent close to $5,000 we were fed up. The following morning we reported bright and early to see a manager. There we were awarded a full refund and set free from our terrible sentence.
Buyer beware; while it may seem glamorous, the devil is in the detail.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new york, ny
Reviewed July 26, 2005

My wife and I recently returned from the Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort and Offshore Island. We arrived on Monday June 27 for a ten day honeymoon. We reserved, paid for, and were guaranteed a Windsor Grande Luxe Oceanview with Concierge service accommodations.

Upon arrival at Sandals we were given room 1424 in the Windsor building. The ocean view was non-existent. Instead the view from the balcony was facing a parking lot, garbage facility, dead trees, roofs of adjacent buildings, and a blocked view of the water. The condition of the room was deplorable. The carpet was stained and ragged, the air conditioner did not work, and the general cleanliness of the room was an embarrassment. The services of the hotel were overall generally poor. It took three hours to resolve an inoperable safe that was holding all of my money hostage.

Later that night we spoke to the manager on duty, Cedric Brown, who attempted to ease the situation. He stated that the room we were given was a three class upgrade in comparison to the room we were originally suppose to receive upon check in. We soon learned that this statement was false. After many complaints, we were moved to room 1618 on Wednesday June 29 at 2 pm. At 11 am the bellman arrived to take our bags over to the new room. This was one of many irritating instances where the staff and management did not communicate with each other.

This room was also inferior. The carpet smelled of mildew and urine. The air conditioner did not work. There were dirty glasses above the mini-bar. There were no towels in the bathroom as well as the obvious appearance of mold on the bathroom and tub floors, on the ceiling, and on the tub’s tiles. Also, the toilet overflowed. After many calls to the Concierge starting at 2 pm plus five visits to the room, finally at 12 midnight maintenance snaked the toilet and found a toothbrush and an Atlantis pen jammed in there. So far the only plus about this room was that we got our ocean view. On July 1, 2005, we noticed that our room was serviced except no one changed our used wet towels and wet robes that were left on the floor.

When we originally checked into Sandals on June 27, we were informed that there would be no charge for use of the mini bar. On July 2, we called the concierge for restocking. This time we were told that the mini bar is not unlimited and that we would have to pay to have it restockeed.

On Tuesday July 5 there was a manager’s party to meet the management staff. Mr. Steve Zieadie introduced himself. We thought this would be the perfect opportunity to ask his advice. He gave us the perfunctory greeting and then moved onto the next couple.

After reading the Sandals website, we were under the impression that we would be able to dine at least once at each restaurant. The reservations were almost impossible to obtain because each establishment was only open a few days a week. Also according to Sandal’s website, we were eligible for a free gift of crystal or china due to the level room that we booked. The resort provided no information about how to obtain our free gift.

Lastly, there was the major irritation of an overabundance of flies and mosquitoes at both the outdoor and indoor dining areas as well as in general throughout the resort.

Our dream honeymoon was a serious disappointment. Promises that were made, guarantees that were given and our expectations of your five star diamond awarded resort were misleading. We expect that this matter will be resolved in an amicable manner.

Thank you for your kind attention.

• Stayed June 2005
13 Thank claw12345
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2005

Boo Hoo! We are so sad to have to leave this wonderful resort! Eight of us vacationed together and had a fabulous time from the moment we arrived until the bitter sweet moment that we left.

For starters we all stayed in lovely junior suites. We were very pleased to have a bars restocked daily and upon our request if we needed more. As for room size we had plenty of room to have drinks with our guests and play cards at a table.

Like other people who read the reviews we were a bit concerned regarding some negative reviews. In particular a review about the tattooed, 40 something drunken people at the bar were the only ones having fun. So not true! Our group ranged from 18 to 44 years of age. One couple did not drink at all and the rest of us drank socially. Regardless of our ages and interests we all had an excellent time.

In regards to the food people must remember that it is a resort in a different country. Comparing Sandals to food to a typical all inclusive resort they are 5 stars. Comparing them to the Plaza in New York City is unfair. Eight people ate well and definitely did not starve. Actually gained a few pounds. Spices for breakfast and Internation Buffet Night was a favorite. For reservations you must do Chrystals. The Cricketers Pub serves food all night and has the best steak and cheese with chips! The Italian Restaurant is just fair.

It is more enjoyable to go with another couple or larger group. Some couples appeared to looked lonely or miserable walking around trying to be entertained. Whereas you can either make friends, as we did playing pool volleyball or bring friends with you like we did too. Vacations are what you make of it.

Many people dress up. It is fun to do this for dinner. However, it is more enjoyable after to swim and play in the pool.

We are already planning our next vacation to Sandals.

Tips: This is not a winter resort. It is too close to Florida so the temperature is similar. Reviews about the water and air temperature in the winter months ar true. PS: Visited in Janaury at another resort and experienced the cool weather.

15 Thank hakemper
Reviewed July 20, 2005

We just got back from a 5 day stay at Sandals, and I must admit that it was even better than I had anticipated. Granted, I went into the trip expecting to be frustrated by delays at the airport, an exceptionally long check-in process, and less-than-stellar food.

Arrival: We were pleasantly surprised by the fact that the Nassau airport was virtually empty. there were no lines at Customs, and our bags came out right away. After a quick chat with the Sandals representative, we hopped in the free shuttle to Sandals. Total time from deboarding the plan to arriving at Sandals: 40 minutes.

We were told that our rooms would be ready in two hours. As we had expected this (thanks to reviews we read on TripAdvisor.com), we simply changed into our bathing suits and headed to the pool bar. 2 hours later, we had a very good buzz as we checked into the room.

Room: (Manor bldg, ocean view)
Very nice accomodations--not musty at all. (Another pleasant surprise) Good size, very clean, and a great view.

Food: Excellent all around. The only meal I didn't like was the breakfast buffet at Spices. I'd suggest going to Casanova instead. Room service always arrived on time as well, which was great because I was able to throw down a few cups of coffee before heading down to the pool.

Pool: Two choice: Crazy or subdued. We opted for the quiet pool (Manor) the first day, but moved to the Windsor pool for the remainder of thhe trip because we heard it was a blast. It a much more of a partying scene--drinking games, trivia, pool games, etc.

Weather: Hot--be ready for it. There were a lot of clouds, but they were a welcomed reprieve from the sun. It rained a couple of times, but usually very quick storms in the late afternoon / early evening.

Staff: everybody there bent over backwards for us. The answer was never "no", it was always "let me see what I can do for you". The best attitude I have ever seen from hotel / resort staff.

• Stayed July 2005
26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
suffern, new york
Reviewed July 18, 2005

Having just returned from a 5 day stay at the Sandals Royal Bahamian with 14 people, I am not sure who will have more long term side effects permenently embedded on them, the Resort or us.

Within this review, you will hear a recap of both the positive and negative of the resort, as told through very discriminating eyes. (You know us New Yorkers)

Ok, you land at the airport and yes it is hot. It's the middle of Summer and their idea of Air Conditioning in the terminal are 10 foot fans, every 20 feet, blowing 110 degree air at you. I personally believe that this is designed to get you so hot that you have to start immediatly drinking upon your arrival at your destination. (as if we needed coaxing) Compared to La Guardia, our bags came quickly and we headed through customs to the Sandals desk where we were greeted by a very friendly gentleman. Friendly and helpful were typical adjectives to describe ALL THE HELP at Sandals with the exception of the FRONT DESK PERSONNELL. (more on that later)

After a 10 minute ride from an informative and very "tippable" driver, we arrive at Sandals to find more giant Greek and Roman statues than you could find in a 6th grade text book, Caesars Palace, or Harvey Fierstein's house combined. (hope people get the reference)

We are lead to the reception area, noon, to fill out some paperwork and as every other review has stated, our rooms weren't ready. Not a problem. Go to lunch and eat. Order drinks.....wait......wait.....wait.....wait....(welcome to Bahamian Time) It's not rude, just takes a bit of getting used to. Food at that lunch was passable, not great. The Conch (pronounced conk, as we found out REPEATEDLY from our most erudite friends) chowder and fried conch (still pronounced conk) was pretty good. After lunch, we headed to the pool.

Tip one: pack a bathing suit or travel in one so that when you room isn't ready, which it won't be, you can swim for a while. Did I mention that conch is pronounced conk?

Headed to the hot tub by the large pool area where we met the most amazing bartender, who contributed mightily to our fun during our stay. If you see Laverne, tell her the 14 people from New York say hi. From Yellow Birds, to Miami Vices, to Shots Galore the drinks kept flowing and the girls kept flashing. I heard the Kalik beer was good, but got warm very quickly. That didn't seem to hinder our crowd....at all..not one bit.....

We left the pool area to get our rooms. As it turns out, within our group of 7 couples, 1 had a private villa and the 6 remaining were to be in the Manor building, Honeymoon Oceanview Suite. It turns out that 5 of the 7 were upgraded to the Windsor building, one was given a room which was only for one night, and would be switched the following day. While no one minds an upgrade, the property knew we were travelling together and was faxed all the info cross referencing our reservations. When told of these issues, the front desk personnell proceeded to tell us that they can, "Dowgrade the 5 couples to move into the rooms that we paid for". To the people who had to move after staying one night in one room, the management reluntantly gave 2, 30 minute massages for their inconvenience which the mgr griped about as the resort would have to pay for the spa services. As was said earlier, everybody was very accomodating at the resort, with the exception of the front desk personnell and manager.

To be perfectly honest, during the 5 day stay, this was the only issue we had.

Tip 2: don't believe the weather forcasts unless a hurricane is imminent.

Every weather.com said thunderstorms, wind, clouds etc. The reality is typical tropical weather. Mixture of sun and high clouds, 90's. Yes it will rain for a short period of time each day. As a matter of fact, the afternoon/evening thundershower provided an amazing lightning show over the ocean.

OUR ROOMS WERE NOT MUSTY. OUR ROOMS WERE NOT MUSTY. I WOULD
TELL YOU IF THEY WERE. ENOUGH SAID ABOUT THAT TOPIC.

The food was better that any of us expected. As a party of 14, I arranged ahead of time our reservations, so I can't speak to the point of having to make reservations as soon as you get there.

Kiminos- typical Hibatchi style food. Food was decent. Service a little slow.

Crystal Room- By far the best dinner we had. White glove attentive, friendly service. Highly recommend. Three hour non rushed dinner for our party. Yours will probably be shorter.

Casanova- Another good meal, lenthy due to the size of our party.

Spices Int'l Buffet- Again, good food. Very good entertainment, highlighted by high energy singer with excellent musicians. When we were there two guys started dancing, one adorned in what looked like a thong over his shorts. A good time was had by all.

We had lunch at either Casanova, which featured a very good buffet, or at the grill which had hamburgers, hot dogs or chicken.

Pool games were fun, the crown was a mixture which seemed to change daily. Expect an age range from 20's-50's dominated by 20's and 30's. Ok so we were 40's.. But we partied with the best of them!!!! No one could do trivia like us or play pool basketball like Ladder Co. 69 from Rockland!!!

Would we go back to this property.. maybe. Would we travel again as 14 friends, definently, even with the one whom we will, "never stop mocking"

• Stayed July 2005
33 Thank Jarlinjeff
Reviewed July 13, 2005

My wife and I had a wonderful time here on our honeymoon. I have read several reviews both good and bad and have to lean toward the good. The airport was the only bad experience (i swear it had no air conditioning). The crowd is mostly 20's to 30's myself being in the latter. I didn't view it at all as a heavy party place like one review posted...but it did depend on where you spent your time. The island and one of the pools were quiet the entire time. One of the pools did play trivia and seemed more lively...so you had a choice.
We were placed in the honeymoon oceanview suite in the manor building. The rooms are small but pleasant. The pools were nice but sometimes dirty as most pools would get with walk up bars. Most of the drinks are watered down in the way of alcohol but are very tasty.
Definitely you want to schedule your restaurants when you arrive, we did before we even put our suitcases up. Kimonos was an entertaining restaurant..we loved the Spices Restaurant for breakfast.
Entertainment was great but got repetitive as the week progressed. I would definitely reccomend going to the shows they have each night. But at least when we went, they only had 4 different shows and we stayed 6 days. Snorkeling was fun and is the only water sport I can comment on (we didn't do any others).
OUTSIDE the hotel: There was construction outside the hotel when we arrived and we did go to the market place. Most of the shops are identical but you can get good deals if you work for it. There are some casinos you can go to close by if that is your game, but my wife and I didn't venture that far. The bahamas in my opinion is a poor country rich in spirit. The staff and locals were very polite and helpful. The entire experience was very peaceful and if it weren't for the puddle-jumper airport :) we'd be heading back often. If you want a nice honeymoon this is a really nice option.

• Stayed June 2004
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection