“This Place is Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
“This Place is Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

My Fiance' and I stayed here Mar 23-30th. Hands down this place was awesome. When we first arrived, we were greated with a Champagne toast. Generally it was nice however we were very tired after flying all night from California. I booked the cheapest room in the place and that is what I got. However.... I politely went to the front desk and asked for a more quiter room on the same floor. Trudy put me up on the sixth floor with ocean view in the Manor House. Thank you so much, it made our vacation one I'll never forget.

The food hear was excellent in general except for the outdoor cafe. Crystal Room was close to 5 star if not on the money. We actually ate at the Graycliff restaraunt while we were there and between two couples we spent around $600.00 for dinner and drinks. I would eat at the Crystal any day of the over the Graycliff. Graycliff was about a 2-3 star restaraunt. Kimonos was excellent and a great way to meet other couples. The Baccarat was superb, Cricketers Pub was good as well as Spices and the drinks in general are good however you will get a fair share of not so good ones. If you don't like it, toss it and ask for a better one.

We could have went to the offshore Island everyday except one however we only went 3 times. We wish would have went more. It's not a clothing optional beach however no one cares. There were some couples that did not including myself. The only thing is the last boat heads over around 3 p.m.. Snorkeling was awesome as well as the other sports i.e. kayaking, windsurfing etc.

We did not care to much for downtown Nassau. There were not that many good deals to be found. Alot of the same stuff over and over again at the Straw Market. Mostly T-Shirts and Baskets.

I spoke to the GM at Sandals about the bad reviews that this resort had received and we had a short but to the point conversation about it. Basically, Sandals knows they are the best at what they do and I tend to agree. Some of these are more than likely competitors and some may be those hard to please folks that landed there with some very challenging circumstances i.e. bad weather, the airlines lost their luggage, they got the room I first did and did not say anything about and on and on. You can't please everyone under all circumstances.

In summary, we would definitely choose the Sandals Royal Bahamian again and plan to go back. If you would like to email me for more details regarding our stay or recommendations, please feel free to email me at mike.halverson@sbcglobal.net

btw... Calvin is the best bartender :-)

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,948)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

I just got back from a 7 night stay April 2 - 9 at the RB. Neither me nor my boyfriend were really blown away with anything except for the service. The staff at this resort were amazing, they are the nicest, most professional group of people we ever met. The food was excellent and the drinks were pretty good but the night life was terrible. I had expected to have something to do after the sun went down so we would go to the Royal Theater where the night club was located and 3 nights in a row (besides the DJ and the bartender) we were the ONLY people there. The whole week we were there the temperature only reached low to mid 70's. During the day we had expected to lay in the sun, go to the beach and hang out in the pool. Not the place to go if you want to go in any type of water, it was so cold. The pool couldn't have been more then 55 degrees (not heated), and the ocean was only about 5 degrees warmer. Also we were unaware of just how fancy the resort would become at night. We brought some evening wear but every night everyone was dressed up. Even the people just hanging in the bars were dressed to impress. I'm not trying to complain because all in all we had a great time and were glad we went but we would definitely not go back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

My husband and I just returned from Sandals Royal Bahamian. We were there from 4/2 - 4/9. The trip was amazing. I was extremely nervous about going after reading the horrible reviews. We have no complaints. We were picked up in a Rolls Royce at the airport and greeted by Chiquita our butler upon arriving at Sandals. She brought us to our room (we were upgraded to the top room category) which was beautiful. She made reservations for us at the nicest restaurants. We also called and got additional reservations so we ate at The Crystal Room and Baccarat twice. They were both great. We had a very relaxing vacation. The food was good, the drinks were good, the pools were very nice as well as the beach. I will definitely go back to a Sandals again!!!

5 Thank Kara167
Wadsworth, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

Let me start by saying that this is my first time at a "Resort". One week at Sandals Royal Bahamian for our honeymoon was a Blast, but it is not without its appropriate criticism's. My wife and I thought we would provide everyone with this very detailed review of our 7-day stay.

The Rooms

The rooms at the resort are sub-par. We booked in advance a "Honeymoon Concierge Suite". We get there, and the room is the size of a regular hotel room. If I'm laying on the bed and stick my leg out, it's resting on the table. The ceiling had a big black stain on it, the walls were a 1980's-pink color, the door knobs were all non-matching, and the grouter in the bathroom was chipped in several places.

The worst criticism of the rooms are the water pressure/temperature of the showers. One minute it will come blasting out nothing but hot water, then a minute later, goes back to the temperature you set it at. We spoke to several other couples that we hung out with this week, and they agreed the same about their showers.

On the plus side, the room had TWO walk-in closets, two sinks, and a decent-sized bathroom.

All in all, it is not a "Suite", but a hotel room. The "concierge" portion means that you get a fully stocked bar every day in your room, which was nice.

FYI's: If you are in the Manor building (the blue building), with the old style key lockboxes, they hit you with $100 charge if you lose your key. HANG ON TO IT, or suffer our fate :)

The Resort

The Resort was awesome. The grounds were so nicely landspaced, beautiful, and always clean. Both pools were in excellent condition (although the Manor pool is freezing!), and the swim-up bars are a real joy. Some drinks are weak, some are strong, but it does not matter, you can specify stronger drinks if you wish. The beach portion of the resort is indeed small, so if you're looking for miles of open beach, you won't get it here. However, it is not too overly-crowded with its size. The private island is a nice day-trip to get some sun, and it is nice and quiet.

FYI: This is not a partying resort, which was a good thing. Sure lots of activities go on at

Staff

Almost all of the female staff we came across were rude or arrogant. The males were all funny, friendly, smiling, and very nice. Everyone greets you in the halls, near the pool, or wherever you are! Spend an evening in the manor bar and hang out with Keno, he is great.

Dining

NOTE: Call the Resort and make dinner reservations at Baccarat, the Crystal Room, and Cafe Goombay BEFORE YOU GET THERE, or Immediately upon arrival. There were barely any spots open when we arrived and tried to book.

The 5 restaurants are a nice variety, but it's basically Same Food Different Day. Breakfast offers a great deal of variety, and the lunch Grille is excellent. You can order whatever you want, even if it's not on the menu.

The Crystal Room and the Baccarat are the only dinner places that have good, high-class-type service. They wait on you hand and foot at these two restaurants, and the meals are outstanding. Dinner at the Grille, Casanova, and Goombay are all the equivalent of a night at Applebees.

The HIbatchi place (Kimono's) is in a league of its own, and just pure fun. Eat with other guests, meet people, and you will walk out of there Full.

If you wish to have dinner at Casanova, get there right at 6:30 when it starts, or you will wait an hour outside like we did. This restaurant does not require reservations, but it should.

Activities

Plenty of activities. The resort delivers a daily news to your room every day, outlining the upcoming events for the day. We went to the Manager's Cocktail Party (prizes, games, drawings), and the Honeymooners cocktail party. This is where we met several other couples that we hung out with for the remainder of the week.

They have a live band that plays a few nights a week, and they are entertaining. There is a nightly disco, but usually attracts about 5 people per night. During the day there are many activites: Bingo, Pool-side Trivia, Aqua-cise, Beer pong, Volleyball and BocceeBall Tournaments, and a whole slew of other fun activities.

Watersports: Snorkeling at Sandals is free, but we did not know this, therefore we did not do it. However, If you love to snorkel, I would recommend booking a trip to Stuart Cove's Snorkeling and Scuba. You can get brochure information at the Concierge desk. For $48 a person, this was completely worth it. A half-day on a boat, snorkeling several reefs on the west-side of the island, swimming with beautiful fish, and seeing some really really nice real estate. The final leg of the tour was snorkeling with the sharks! Scary, but fun.

All in all, our stay at Sandals is a 3 out of 5 stars. We were very ticked off at some of the things noted in the above review, but the good things made up for them. I would not go back to this particular resort, but would choose another island in the Caribbean. But, that's just me :) Any more questions or details, email me!

12 Thank jdoz22
Wayne, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

My husband and I just return from Sandals last night. We were mainly looking for a place to rest and relax. We definitely found it. If you are looking for night life and wild crowd this is not the place. We were at Sandals from april 5th thur the 10th. Our only complaint was not being able to get reservations at the special restuarants. We arrived on a Tuesday and everything was booked thur the week. We were very disappointed. And let our displeasure be known. They have to fine a better way to deal with. As far as the rooms: we had a luxury room in the Manor building on the sixth floor. It was very nice: clean no mold or mildew. We had a big picture window that looked out to the ocean. We are beach people, so we enjoyed laying on the beach by the hotel. Didn't even go over to the Cay because the first boat leaves at 10 and you have to off by 3. We would leave the beach around 6. It was crowded and you had to be there by 10 to get a chair - earlier if you wanted umbrella. As far as the food, it was not a five star but the food I thought was pretty good. There is something for everybody. The restuarants do not change there menu from day to day. So what you see is what you get. The Italian place was good. We did not get into the Japanese place because you have to wait for 12 people together and then they will sit you. My husband and I will definitely go back. The best part was that cell phone do not work there. So you saw nobody on the phone or heard no phones ringing. Words of caution!!!! The airport leaving was total zoo. When they tell you need three hours to board your flight they were not kidding. What a way to end a beautiful vacation. I highly recommend the Sandals for a relaxing vacation.

7 Thank NJ930
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

Having just returned from SRB, I must admit that from the reviews I have read about this resort, my arrival in Nassau came with trepidation. What I discovered from my visit at this resort is that the negative reviews of this resort come from those who must hold their heads way above everyone else, for this resort meets and at times exceeds what I would expect from an all-inclusive resort. Using past reviews, my wife and I were able to make the most of our 20th anniversary vacation by booking a deluxe room, successfully obtaining dining reservations 4 of 5 nights and taking advantage of most of the resort's amenities. The Windsor building is the newest of two buildings and the rooms are nicely appointed, on par with most 4 star hotels I have stayed in. The Manor building, although much older, is elegantly appointed and probably falls in line with what one would expect from an older "classic" hotel like the Essex House in NY or the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. Meals were not exceptional, but better than average. Choices are plentiful, although I think that Club Med offers a wider selection of items on their buffet. The dinner selections are quite good if you are fortunate as we were to get reservations in three main dining rooms, Baccarat, Crystal and Cafe Goombay. We found entertainment to be lacking, but made up for that by hanging out in the piano bar after dinner. Bars are plentiful...you never have to walk more than 25 feet and the selections are adequate...most premium brands. Despite what others may say, the pours are generous and if your drinks are not strong enough, the staff is more than willing to accomodate your needs. On that note, the staff are the most cordial and accomodating I have come across in quite a long time. Everyone was willing to go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Water sports were adequate, although trade winds were strong at times, limiting sailing and other water sports.
I would highly recommend a side trip to Atlantis just to see the grounds. The aquarium has one of the finest collections of marine life around. Prices for everything from drinks, to food, to gambling are priced for the high rollers and with everything that SRB had to offer, we found no reason to spend anything but our time touring the facility on our own. The straw market in town is not the classic straw market of early year, but rather a flea market full of counterfit leather products and tie-dye shirts. A great place to get jamacian dreadlock hat, if your in the market of such an item!
If you plan on travel to SRB, I highly suggest that you arrange with your cellphone company for service on the island as calls to the states run in the neighborhood of $2.00 a minute and internet service is even more expensive.
All in all, we were had such an enjoyable time at SRB, that we will definitely consider another Sandals vacation in the future!

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2005

My husband and I went to the Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort for our honeymoon. After booking the trip I had read some bad reviews and was a bit nervous. Our travel agent assured us that it is a five star and we would not be dissapointed.
The resort is nice but not what you expect, the food is good but the room are bad...I have attached some pic of our bathroom at the hotel. This is after they upgraded us...they wanted more $$ but we refused and made a scene and they finally agrees.
At the Italian restaurant the service was bad we asked for pepper and the waiter gave the huge pepper grinder to my husband (it was hularious now looking back) but that is not what you expect when you are paying a lot of money for the vacation.
Also BEWARE of the private island resturant sand flies ate me allive check out the photo...I didn't let it get me down but boy was it ichy.
They people are nice but it is just not worth is to much hype over Sandals and they do not deliver. I have stayed at 3 star hotles in Mexico that were better...
Hope this helps :)

• Stayed July 2004
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection