“Exceeded Expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
“Exceeded Expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2005

Having just returned from SRB, I must admit that from the reviews I have read about this resort, my arrival in Nassau came with trepidation. What I discovered from my visit at this resort is that the negative reviews of this resort come from those who must hold their heads way above everyone else, for this resort meets and at times exceeds what I would expect from an all-inclusive resort. Using past reviews, my wife and I were able to make the most of our 20th anniversary vacation by booking a deluxe room, successfully obtaining dining reservations 4 of 5 nights and taking advantage of most of the resort's amenities. The Windsor building is the newest of two buildings and the rooms are nicely appointed, on par with most 4 star hotels I have stayed in. The Manor building, although much older, is elegantly appointed and probably falls in line with what one would expect from an older "classic" hotel like the Essex House in NY or the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. Meals were not exceptional, but better than average. Choices are plentiful, although I think that Club Med offers a wider selection of items on their buffet. The dinner selections are quite good if you are fortunate as we were to get reservations in three main dining rooms, Baccarat, Crystal and Cafe Goombay. We found entertainment to be lacking, but made up for that by hanging out in the piano bar after dinner. Bars are plentiful...you never have to walk more than 25 feet and the selections are adequate...most premium brands. Despite what others may say, the pours are generous and if your drinks are not strong enough, the staff is more than willing to accomodate your needs. On that note, the staff are the most cordial and accomodating I have come across in quite a long time. Everyone was willing to go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Water sports were adequate, although trade winds were strong at times, limiting sailing and other water sports.
I would highly recommend a side trip to Atlantis just to see the grounds. The aquarium has one of the finest collections of marine life around. Prices for everything from drinks, to food, to gambling are priced for the high rollers and with everything that SRB had to offer, we found no reason to spend anything but our time touring the facility on our own. The straw market in town is not the classic straw market of early year, but rather a flea market full of counterfit leather products and tie-dye shirts. A great place to get jamacian dreadlock hat, if your in the market of such an item!
If you plan on travel to SRB, I highly suggest that you arrange with your cellphone company for service on the island as calls to the states run in the neighborhood of $2.00 a minute and internet service is even more expensive.
All in all, we were had such an enjoyable time at SRB, that we will definitely consider another Sandals vacation in the future!

• Stayed April 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,949)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2005

My husband and I went to the Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort for our honeymoon. After booking the trip I had read some bad reviews and was a bit nervous. Our travel agent assured us that it is a five star and we would not be dissapointed.
The resort is nice but not what you expect, the food is good but the room are bad...I have attached some pic of our bathroom at the hotel. This is after they upgraded us...they wanted more $$ but we refused and made a scene and they finally agrees.
At the Italian restaurant the service was bad we asked for pepper and the waiter gave the huge pepper grinder to my husband (it was hularious now looking back) but that is not what you expect when you are paying a lot of money for the vacation.
Also BEWARE of the private island resturant sand flies ate me allive check out the photo...I didn't let it get me down but boy was it ichy.
They people are nice but it is just not worth is to much hype over Sandals and they do not deliver. I have stayed at 3 star hotles in Mexico that were better...
Hope this helps :)

• Stayed July 2004
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2005

We visited SRB in Oct 04 and I was not overly impressed. First impressions- the sign was broken (although this could have been due to the hurricane?) and that doesn't look great as you drive in. I read as many reviews as I could and I would say that the negative ones are mostly accurate. We found that the Italian restaurant was very poor -bad service and the food was terrible (over salted!) on both nights that we attended. Baccharet is good but the Crystal room was disappointing. In the brochure it looks so bright but in reality you almost need a torch to find your way to the table. The food was not as hot as it should have been but nice otherwise.
I thought the buffet breakfast and lunch was excellent and I must say the staff are very good and friendly.
Facilities are good but the hot tubs were in dire need of attention when we were there. There is not much happening at night- the only real bar is the piano bar (forget the cricketers) and after a few nights the songs are always the same. The 2 guys behind the bar were wonderful- made our evenings. The draught becks and stella were off nearly the whole 2 weeks we were there, which I thought was bad. It really should have been fixed (or maybe they just ran out?).
All in all, we had a good holiday but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed October 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2005

To say that I was nervous about our week long vacation (March 20th - March 27th) to Sandals Royal Bahamian, might be an understatement. I was, after all, heading into a vacation that Trip Advisor Reviews and several Travel Agent friends promised to be a disaster (I, apparently, have a reputation for being persnickety, prissy, and unused to squalor) - a vacation that would satisfy none of my expectations and would, instead, disappoint.
After having been carried away with thoughts of a dreamy, warm Caribbean and plans for a couples' vacation, I rushed to make plans without doing much research. I was generally excited about the trip and, honestly, a bit intrigued by the choice of resort (I've been a longtime Sandals skeptic and distrustful of cheesy, traditionally Americanesque vacations). My panic did not set in until after perusing travel review sites (Trip Advisor, Fodors, DebbiesCaribbean, etc.). After reading negative posting after posting, my heart began to clench. I was so anxious, I began to plan our escape from our vacation contract. To see if I had any way out of the vacation (prior to going), I called a trusted travel advisor. She informed me that we would lose the full amount if we cancelled and suggested "dealing" with the resort.
Having learned "the truth about SRB", I warned my husband and the couple with whom we would be traveling about the mold-ridden rooms, lousy food, weak drinks, and absent beaches. I figured that, if nothing else, at least we would be traveling with realistic expectations. The rest of the group chided me and promised that they would have a good time no matter how near to a smelly gym locker their rooms smelled.
I acquiesced; and, I am glad that I had. Our Sandals vacation was far from the nightmarish trip that I had expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I loved it. Is it the ULTIMATE luxury hotel? No. And, I think that comparing it to a Ritz (or any other upscale chain hotel) or a luxury boutique hotel (i.e. nine zero in Boston or Reid's Palace in Madeira, Portugal) is a bit unfair. Sandals offers a unique vacation - one in which you never have to think about the outside world. It is cheesy; and, yet, it maintains an elegant cheesiness. As you float in the Manor Pool (shockingly cold), you can see a Sandals' logo from every angle; and, yet, the sight is not off-putting - it is part of the experience.
Each morning, we hurried to the small fitness center in the upstairs of the Manor Building (nice views, very tiny facility); and, after our workout, hurried back to our balcony to enjoy fresh fruit (lots of it) and yogurt. Our traveling companions opted for restaurant breakfasts. By mid-morning, our entire party was lounging somewhere on the property (usually by the pools) - happily.
So, why so many angry complaints? Many of them must come from dashed expectations. To be fair, this resort is not an all-inclusive Cap-Jaluca. It is not blessed with the sticky, white sand of other islands. The property is restricted by local development - so the pools take up much of the alotted space. The beach is small and smattered with chaise lounges (reminding me of East Coast, Atlantic Ocean Resorts in the summer time); the island, while offering another small pool and restaurant, a much more open beach, and a quite respite from the larger, activity-oriented resort, is not an idyllic, palm tree laden haven - it is, instead, a sandy outcropping of coral. The rooms are hotel rooms and not, in our experience, palace suites. Our friends booked the deluxe level room in the Manor building; my husband and I booked the Honeymoon Oceanview Concierge level room in the same building. We were glad that we spent the extra money - savouring our abundance of bottled water and diet cokes from our never-empty mini bar and the freedom of our balcony; they had a better view. The furnishings were well-cared for but worn from the environment (salty, humid air ages things). The restaurants vary - and so does the quality, atmosphere, dress code, and style. Should you desire an upscale dining experience every night, Baccarat and the Crystal Room should satisfy you. To get tables at these restaraunts, make reservations at the beginning of your stay - and, even then, keep your expectations grounded. If your palate is still unsatisfied, as my travel agent suggested to me, leave the property and make reservations at the GreyCliff or the Atlantis (we never did).
This vacation was not meant to be our dream vacation, nor were we celebrating a honeymoon or a big event. It was, however, meant to be a respite from our worldly responsibilities. And, having stayed at some of the world's grandest hotels (Banff Springs, Balmoral, Reid's Palace, etc.) and some of its worst, I was more than satisfied with my experience. Sandals Royal Bohamian is not pretension; it is fun, silliness - a place to safely order drinks with exotic names and cherries on top without ridicule, a place to float aimlessly on a raft and not worry, a place to carry luggage emblazoned with pink Sandals logos with confidence, and a place to relax. While I'm not sure that I'd return to this property, I can confidently say that I am very glad that I went in the first place. And, I make this statement inspite of myself and all of those early misgivings.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jamison, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2005

My husband and I just got back from our vacation over Easter weekend. We had a very nice time--despite the bad reviews on this baord. The resort was full, but we didn't experience a shortage of anything or feel very crowded.
We were able to get reservations at Baccarat and Cassanova's, both meals were very good.
This was a relaxing vacation, just what we wanted!

11 Thank Izzyl11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2005

I just returned from a 6 day stay (March 21- 26) at Sandals, and I do not have one bad thing to say about it. My boyfriend and I who are both 20, are not your typical "spring breakers" and wanted a nice relaxing vacation. From the moment we checked it was nothing but relaxation. We recently went on a Cruise, and enjoyed this vacation much better.

Living in NYC, we have had our fair share of good restaurants, and we were very pleased with all the one's we ate in while at the resort. The only one we did not get to try was the Cricketer's Pub. Baccarat and Crystal Room were wonderful, as was the service throughout the entire trip. It was nice to have such nice service, especially when you know the employees are not just fishing for a tip. Each one seemed to thouroughly enjoy their jobs. As for the pools, we enjoyed both of them. Yes the manor pool was slightly chilly, but it was in the shade for a lot of the day and it was actually very refreshing to jump in when the outside temperature is 85 degrees. The bars were great, as was the beach. I read many people commenting about the size of the beach. Although the resort seemed pretty full while we were there, we felt there was adequate room on the beach and never felt to crowded.

I would definately try out the snorkeling, I had never done it before and was actually a little nervous about doing it but had a great time. All in all we could not have asked for a better vacation and are already thinking about planning our next trip there.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NEW YORK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2005

My husband and I went there for our one year wedding anniversay the week of march 15th to the 20th. We could not wait to get there. We wanted to go there for our honeymoon last year, but alot of people told us not to. We said it can't be that bad it looks so beautiful on the website and commercial. We were very happy that we didn't, We were a little disapointed. Only because we could not even get one reservation for the baccarat or the crystal room, it was fully booked( it's supposed to be the best ones there) How can this be? How do you run a five star all inclusive and not be able to accomodate all of your guests? It's not as if this was a cheap vacation. We paid just as much money as the next person, and when you pay 5 star prices you expect 5 star treatment. The staff didn't even offer us a waiting list, we had to hear it from another couple that we met there. We should have been accomodated with at least one reservation out of the six days that we were there. When we tried to make reservations, they told us they were fully booked, and that we could not get anything until sunday, what good is that if we were leaving on sunday. We had to eat in casanovas everynight, were the food was just okay. And when an employee had came over to us and asked how are stay was going, I told her about the no reservation's available factor and she advised us to go to a restaurant up the block in sandyport, instead of trying to get us into one at sandals "you know the ultra all inclusive" anyway $150.00 later. So we did, I thought we paid for an all inclusive? Anyway, The room was nice (the manor ocean front patio concierge room) what concierge? the barbeque at lunchtime cheeseburger's were really good, we kind of looked foward to them, since the royal cafe & grill was just okay. The beach is small but very beautiful. The pools were beautiful too. The jacuzzi by the spa looked a little dirty, so we never made our way in. Make sure you get to the atlantis for a little night life, because at sandals it is very limited. We ordered the continental breakfast to the room and it was still out side our room many hours later, not to clean. Beside the restaurant thing we still had the very best time. Eveything else was good. Would we go back to sandals? What do you think??

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JGEE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection