“Breathtakingly amazing!”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Went with my boyfriend for a 4 night vacation - let's just say we realized we had never truly experienced a real vacation until we went to sandals.
The staff were very friendly. They catered to our every need (even when my boyfriend asked for a creme brûlée at 10am - which was not even on the menu!). The welcomed us with champagne. On our last day, one of the waiters remembered that we told him we love cheesecake. He found out our room number and when we went back to our room after an amazing day sailing and at the pool, we found 2 delicious cheesecakes sitting on our bed!

All the food was also amazing - I reccomend the lobster at baccarat and the caviar + eggs benedict in the morning.

OH, and the chicken wings at cricketers pub were the best I have ever tasted. If there is one thing I am upset about, it's that I only found out about the wings on the last day.

Needless to say, we cannot wait to return and explore other resorts that sandals has to offer!

Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Bahamianlover

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Very nice resort, awesome location, excellent food. The off shore island is a must to visit. Snorkelling and diving( which is included in package) was the best I've done in the Caribbean. The service was not the greatest, staff would sooner joke around with each other than be helpful, but all in all worth the time away with my wife. I felt very young mind you, average age 40-50.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Trip_around_james
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We recently visited this Sandals. We have never stayed at a Sandals and heard great reviews. Unfortunately, we seemed to come in contact with every RUDE person that works at this resort. Our trip started with rude check-in staff, "Tiffani" was less then pleasant and treated us as if we were bothering her. We then sat in the check-in lobby for close to an hour and a half- waiting.... for what? I still have no idea. I continued to ask what we were waiting for and got no clear answer. I asked a manager, nothing. We were never offered to go sit at the bar, or updated about our room .. nothing. Just sitting there. Every little thing was an argument. Our level of room included wi-fi, when I called the desk to get the code I was told " You're not in the system yet, call back in 15 min". Great. When I called back I was told that wi-fi is not included for my level, then hung up on.
Day 2- we were given a paper to fill out with our departure info, to turn into the front desk. I followed the directions and turned it in to Chloe. Later that day I decided to check everything was OK. Chloe checked the departure shuttle schedule, we were not on there. Again, another nasty attitude " Well did you turn your paper in??". I said " Yes, I handed it to you!" No apology, nothing. Just told to be on the 2pm shuttle.
Day 3- multiple calls to the front desk, no answer. When I walked down to the desk, 2 staff members just sitting there- phones ringing. We were given the option for a hospitality room since we had a later flight. Chloe told us " be here first thing in the morning to reserve the room, its first come first serve". Makes sense. I was in the lobby at 6:45am for the request- and once again I was given wrong information. You request the room at the time of need. When we arrived for the 2pm shuttle, again not on the list.
Overall, I'm a pretty reasonable person. I understand things happen, but c'mon. Sandals is expensive and MY VACATION, I do not think I should spend my time following up to make sure people have done there job or be treated rudely by bad mannered staff! The staff was nasty and extremely passive aggressive when speaking to people. It was exhausting to deal with, no matter how much it cost.
We will not return to this Sandals based solely on the behavior of the very intrusive staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Jenn H
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Jess,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your recent stay at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We were saddened to note that you did not enjoy your time with us and in particular your interaction with some of our staff members. We often receive wonderful compliments in regards to our friendly and hardworking staff, which leaves us quite disappointed that your experience was not similar.
We never want our guests to return home feeling that that they were treated in a manner less than hospitable, as it does not properly reflect how much we value each of you. Our resort management team is aware of your comments and would like to speak with you further about this experience. I have sent you a private message for a few additional details and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

My daughter was married at Sandals Bahamas. Everyone was pleasant and so helpful! It could not have been nicer. Our rooms, service people, food, drinks, we're great. We did not want to leave and can't wait to go back. Totally loved it!

Room Tip: Ocean view with balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Farme126r
Reviewed May 3, 2014

first and foremost do not believe any bad reviews you read if you did not have fun at this resort you must have been staying on the planet Mars because we have stayed at this resort without butler service and had a fantastic time although this review will be loaded full of stuff about our 3 butlers but that is because they are simply the best ! husband and I just returned yesterday from the best week of our life! We were there April 25- May 2. We are Sandals select members at the diamond level so we have traveled to almost all the resorts this was third trip to this resort and are planning on spending our free week there as soon as possible ! Let me start with the beginning we did have butler service on this trip if you have the funds DO IT!! So worth every penny they are literally at your service for your every need . We landed in Nassau and 20 minutes later we were swept away to the resort in the Rolls Royce. Given cool towels and escorted to the reaction area met one of our butlers there and he promptly took us to our room. Now our room was AMAZING we had booked the one bedroom oceanfront suit in Windsor building and BOY did we get lucky we got room1601 top floor corner room with a million dollar view! We were not expecting that we have booked the high level rooms at other resorts and this one was by far the best! We let them know we were celebrating our 7 th anniversary . Two of our butlers checked us in in our room took note of my crazy food allergies and already had our dinner reservations already booked and informed all restaurants . Gem one of our butlers unpacked our bags and sent us off to get some lunch we headed to the brick oven pizza place because we already knew we loved that, I will say that is the only time we waited for a pizza all other times had it within ten minutes from our butlers. Remember I said butler service is so worth it!!! There were a few restaurants we knew we didn't care for and they had them changed right away. We went back to the room and the butler had been called out to do,something else because they have other guest to pamper. So we threw our swim suits on and headed straight to the beach because that's what I do when I get to sandals run for the Caribbean Sea and it was delightful although the beach isn't huge and is much better on the private island. Then got in the pool for a few mins returned to our room and our bags were unpacked and put in the dresser and rolled up like if you were shopping at a high end clothing store. One thing they didn't have a small issue was no Dr Pepper and I love Dr Pepper but of course Gem went above what we expected and returned with Dr Pepper which is hard to find on the Caribbean islands not a popular drink I was so touched by this gesture of kindness. We were told just go enjoy yourself and I will get your butler phone and see you in a bit. They give you a phone that only calls them in case you need to reach them anytime between 7 am and 10 pm. Also included is 24 hour room service they give you a menu but you don't have to eat off that menu they will get you whatever you want from the restraints for example you don't feel much like sitting in a restaurant they will bring you the menu from what ever restaurant you want and set it up anywhere in your room we did that one night on our balcony which at night you could see the cruise ships leaving at night all lite up and downtown Nassau lite up very romantic. Ok,enough on butlers but you will read more later. Let me hit the good stuff first and we only have literally one complaint.
Food- because everyone trashes the food quality at Sandals so not the case here. Even if you are not. A butler guest when you go to dinner you are treated like queens and kings . We ate at spices buffet the first night was ok not our favorite but certainly not bad it is not always buffet some nights it is sit down. We don't like kimonos but I heard a lot of people do. Crystal room very good we had it brought to our room as I was tired
and didn't feel like getting dressed for dinner but if you don't have a butler you of course have to go to the restaurant. Italian place very good wide choices you will enjoy but don't expect authentic Italian especially if your Italian or have eaten high end Italian this is the islands they do there best I had the lamb it was super yummy! We ate at Gordon's on the pier on our anniversary and it is included if you are a butler guest otherwise it. Cost I think 140 dollars. It was great bread there was so yummy and it is seafood I am allergic to shellfish so limited my choices but I am used to that the filet was perfect . Baccarat OMG I would have ate their every night if I had known it was that good we ate that our last night there since we are diamond level guest one of our perks is you get to take to staff members to dinner which we did and had so much fun talking with them and hearing all about their families and life in the Bahamas and funny guest stories and such . Baccarat offer the best menu escargot for appetizers lobster steak lamb and duck just to name a few . My husband and the staff got the surf and turf and said it was great I could not get that I had the duck and it was mouthwatering . Brick oven pizza is worth the wait SOOO good. That was usually our lunch unless we were on the private island and all their food is good over there. Breakfast we took in our room or on our balcony every morning first part of the trip we had I letters with spinach mushrooms and cheese so good second half of trip we changed things up a bit and had the French toast and it was very very good. Both of those things are available at the buffet also . But we learned on a previous trip if you are an early riser Baccarat serves a sit down breakfast that will blow you away. So you get the point no complaints about food if you leave hungry or disappointed that's your own fault not Sandals !
PRIVATE ISLAND - it is shared with a cruise line but we were there 7 days and they bothered us once right side of the Island is Sandals with a beach on the front looking back at resort best beach though is the backside of the island so private and just plain beautiful, a bit rocky we knew this already so we brought swim shoes and it was totally fine , I could have floated there forever. There is a restaurant there called stew fish so good! And if you are a butler guest there are these fantastic cabanas they are only for butler guest and have to be reserved with your butler ahead of time but if you don't want out of the sun the butler can put you anywhere on the island and if your not a butler guest there are still plenty of beach chairs and pool chairs. There is a pool and swim up bar with awesome bartenders and hot tub . They even offer spa service on the island. Boat leaves every hour from resort to island starting at 10 and is like a couple min boat ride last boat back leaves island at 450 there is so much to do we never stayed until the last boat
POOLS/Pool swim up bar - there are tow very large pools and all kinds of hot tubs throughout the resort the coolest thing is the pools and hot tubs are 24 hour but at night no bar. THere is a quiet pool on one side of the resort and the loud fun pool on the otherside with the swim up bars shout out to Josea(?) and Lance both of these guys were my favorite bartenders at the pool. Also if you are a butler guest your butler can and will reserve you a pool chair but if you are not a butler guest there is plenty of pool loungers and they are all nice and padded. The play makers make the pool fun and my husband enjoyed pool volleyball everyday.
ROOMS- in my opinion they are all nice . Of course the higher level you go the nicer they get. I have not stayed in the Balmoral building it is the new building but I have stayed in lower level room in the Windsor building on precious trips and they were plenty nice I mean really your in the Caribbean you didn't come to be in your room all day . If you are a member of the Sandals select program you can ask for an upgrade and they will normally give you a free upgrade at no charge and it is free to join . You also get a t-shirt for free . And Damion at the soon come back desk is the best guy ever so sweet by the end of our stay he was calling me Mrs W ! And after you have 70 paid night stays at any sandals or beaches resort you earn a free week. We earned ours on this stay. If you book a ocean view corner room in the Windsor building request 1601 I was told by every employee it is the nicest room because of the view really it is a million dollar view!
NIGHTLIFE- before or right after dinner it is fun to sit by the fire pits and just chat for awhile. But in my opinion and a lot of people would agree the piano bar sing along is the best nighttime entertainment on the resort but get there early plan to have a few drinks and you will have so much fun and laugh harder than you have ever laughed ! Leonardo the piano man is the absolute best he is extremely talented and an amazing piano player and singer and does such a good job getting the crowd going. Request the dirty version of Lucille and you will crack up and a local,song not in his song books called family scandal you will die laughing he plays from 9 pm to 11 pm all week except for Sundays and Tuesdays they have another guy those nights. Get there early to get seats at the piano . If sing along isn't your thing you can hear and watch the fun from the adjacent bar. My opinion best bar on the resort they have the good top shelf liquor and the drinks are very strong and Fluffy the bartender and cupcake the other bard enter are the best and will have you laughing all night.
STAFF- what can I say here they are all great and veery polite
RETURNING GUEST DINNER- if you are a returning desk to any sandals or beaches you will get an invite . Don't miss it is the best dinner and you get to meet a lot of the behind the scenes employees . And you get to sit with other couples you may or may not have met before and it is fun to get to know them and the sit a staff member at every table it is a very dressy event not formal or anything just come looking nice. You will also get to see people recognized for how many nights stayed and so e of them will shock you with how many nights also the people who earn their free week get honored there.
MY ONLY CON- water sports !!! Some people enjoyed and used the stuff I didn't as they only teach you to use the hobbie sail boats at 1 pm everyday otherwise your on your own they won't go out with you like they do at other resorts. They do offer snorkeling two times a day but you have to sign up days in advance even with a butler and they are very rude people rubbed me wrong . We did the regular snorkel had fun but it only last a half hour . They do not let you check out snorkel gear to snorkel right there at the beach you have to do the trip which the regular snorkel is fun but you have to sign up ahead of time I did it saw a lot of great fish. DO NOT PAY FOR THE SHARK DIVE OR SNORKEL UNLESS YOU ARE A VERY GOOD DIVER AND VERY GOOD SNORKLER WE MADE THAT MISTAKE IT COST I BELIEVE 120 PER PERSON AND THEY DO NOT INFORM YOU THAT YOU SHOULD BE EXPERIENCED WITH NO MEDICAL CONDITIONS SUCH AS DIABITIES. WHEN WE SIGNED UP I TOLD THEM I AM NOT A GOOD SWIMMER THEY SAID I WOULD FINE ACTUALLY RESTED ME ASSURE OF IT. MY HUSBAND WASNT GOING TO GO BECAUSE HE HAS A VERY BAD HEEL BROKE IT 11 years ago in a car wreck. WE TOLD THEM THAT AND THEY ACTUALLY TALKED HIM INTO IT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU IT WILL TAKE YOUR WHOLE DAY FROM 1130 UNTIL FOUR IN THE EVENING WE MISSED OUR ENTIRE LAST DAY NOR DO THEY TELL YOU THERE WILL ONLY BE SMALL SANDWICHES THAT HAVE SAT IN THE HEAT ON THE BOAT ALL DAY AND MY HUSBAND IS DIABETIC AND HAD NOT EATEN SINCE BREAKFAST. WE NUMEROUS TIMES MADE SURE WE WOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT BEING NO EXPERIENCE THEY SAID YOU WILL BE FINE. MY HUSBAND WAS ONLY ABLE TO DO IT FOR ABOUT 5 MINS AT MOST AND ME MAYBE TEN. IT WIT WASNT BEING SCARED OF THE SHARKS IT WAS THAT WE COULD NOT PHYSICALLY HANDLE IT SO BASICALLY WE PAID 70 DOLLARS A PEICE TO SIT ON A DIVE BOAT MISERABLE ALL DAY OUR LAST DAY AND HUBBY WAS SICK FROM HIS BLOOD SUGAR GETTING LOW. WHEN WE CALLED TO COMPLAIN THEYNSAID OH WE WILL LET THE MANAGER OF WATERSPORTS KNOW!! So after no call back we had to continue to lose our last day dealing with the resort manager to get the charge removed. After her and sweet Damion from soon come back and our butler they finally removed the charge from the bill!!
IN GENERAL- fantastic resort great people planning to spend our free week there. Also if you are certain level of returning guest you get a lot of perks like free 30 min couples massage and stuff like take your two favorite employees to dinner do it it is fun we took one of our butlers and the piano man to Baracat for dinner our last night and it was a blast!!!
I would like to mention a few of our favorite employees on this resort our butlers YORLET, SID,AND GEM if you book a butler suite request them they are the best by far!!! The piano man LEONARDO JONES awesome guy very talented and fun Sandals is lucky to have such talent. Bartenders JOSEHA(sp?) and Lance both from Windsor pool bar. BULLET from the playmakers he is awesome!!! FLUFFY AND CUPCAKE from the bar connected to piano room I guess it's called the piano bar they are great and will make you have fun! DAMION from the soon come back desk love him he is so sweet!!!!
We are planning to use our free week at this resort that will make 4 visits to this property and we have been to a lot of them!!! Highly recommend SANDALS ROYAL BAHAMIAN !!!!

Room Tip: If you book a Windsor one bedroom oceanfront suite request 1601
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Islandmamma
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay. Everything was perfect from check-in to check-out. The food, drinks and entertainment was great. The staff always had a smile on their face and eager to assist. The dolphin encounter at the Blue Lagoon was worth every $$$. I will Definately return for another visit.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Roxy2010RN
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I where there April 22-26 2014
we were on Club level with ocean view..
Over all we had a wonderful time, and accomodations were very nice, room at a very limited ocean view..so that could have been a little better.
Food was good over all, but did not get to all restaurants ,, Island was nice, but worst food was there, so be prepared.. beach was wonderful, and service over all was good, if you don't have butler service, don't expect to see anyone bring you drinks ..that is all self serve ! !
I would recommend this place , and plan to visit again

D&D Austin Texas

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection