Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We loved everything about this place! The staff was very friendly,especially Jodi Ann and Craig who served us drinks on the beach. The food was great especially The Crystal Room and Baccarat, we also really enjoyed the pizza! I thought the resort was just the right size and loved the private island! We enjoyed visiting with our friends around the fire pits every evening. Heston at the piano bar was very entertaining!!!!!

Room Tip: We loved the Villas, more secluded and private with our own pool and hot tub near by! We stayed in t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (9,065)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Not to take anything away from the beautiful weather, there is one individual in particular that we can't thank enough for truly making our vacation extraordinary. We met Rashod when we arrived at the complex and he took care of us until the moment we left. His professionalism, his attention to detail, and his heart raised our vacation to a new height. His consistent smile always made us feel relaxed and secure in the knowledge we were in good hands. His personal input in our family's little surprises meant more to us than we can say (especially to "Piggy").

Our lives are for the better having met this man full of dedication, ambition and personality. I was truly a pleasure meeting you Rashod.

We must also thank our cooking instructor Opal. She put herself forward personally and met up with us at the Junkanoo to share her love of cooking and the Bahamian food. Thank you so much.

Last but not least, at the Spices Restaurant, Latoysa and Arizona. Piggy is still getting jiggy! You without a doubt were one of the best moments of our day. We look forward to your laughs and smiles that you shared so freely. You are both a permanent part of our lives.

We truly hope our paths cross again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 16th Wedding anniversary here in 2010. ( I have to put in 2013 as our travel date as there is nothing earlier to choose from) We never took a honeymoon and this was our first tropical vacation. This is a beautiful resort. We had a butler suite and we were very impressed with the service and food. In fairness, we had one outstanding butler and one that was not quite so helpful. We are not needy people by any stretch, but our second butler offered to do a few things and then would never do them. However, our first butler, Micklin (sp?) was outstanding. We were only there three nights and unfornuately got some bad weather while we were there. Gordon's on the Pier was closed so we didn't get to experience that restaurant. We heard and read it was wonderful. Overall this is a beautiful Sandals location. Having visited Sandals Royal Plantation this year for our 20th Anniversary, we would choose Sandals Royal Plantation for our style.

Room Tip: We had a suite facing the water on the second highest floor. I can't remember the wing, but we f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Beautiful Resort and Beach, and great service!!!! I read so many complaints on this resort, and am dumbfounded by bad reviews. Where did these people stay?? Our trip from March 22-29, 2014 was fabulous and the service was beyond great! Here is our review, and I have to say do not believe the bad reports. The resort is great, there may be a few areas that are older and in need of some touch up, but really people, you are on a pristine beach with great people serving you, have a drink already and quit complaining!! My review is honest, so you can trust in the following report -

Butlers
We had 3 butlers (people please, I read complaints about having 3 butlers, what did you expect 1 guy to serve you 24/7?? They do have to sleep!) We loved them all, Shamal, Perez and Sorante!! They went out of their way to please, constantly!! Picture this - champagne and lobster delivered to you at your beach cabana, or beach chair! Coolers with drinks delivered, lunch delivered, extra towels, pizza anywhere you wanted it, drinks anytime, dinner served in your room from ANY restaurant. My hubby forgot huis cigars in our room, we called the butler and he was down at the pool with them in 10 minutes. Hubby wanted Crown Royal in our room, got back from teh beach and there it was! Really, they would do anything we asked, and we treated with them respect. They did everything we asked and more! I wanted lemon slices for my cocktail in the room, boom, delivered!! If we called them and got voicemail, they called back within minutes! Room service, no problem!! So surprised about all the butler complaints, and if I would of had a problem I would have gome to management, instead of just complaining here We only had our 3 butlers, BUT when on the private island there are 2 butlers on staff for butler guests. KK and Gary served us, and they were great!!!! Gary even checked in on us back at the resort, so don't hesitate to get butler service. Way worth it. We have already booked for 2015 and requested Shamal, Perez and Sorante again!!

Private Island
Again, read so many stupid complaints about the island not being 100% private. SO WHAT!!! The area used for cruise ships is separate, and you cannot even hear those people, and you do NOT notice them!! The island is great, and it feels like an escape. I did my research and knew it was shared, so people, DO YOUR RESEARCH!! The island does not dissapoint, Stewfish is yummy and the carribean patties are tasty!!

Rooms
We were in the Penthouse Honeymoon Suite in the Balmoral Tower. Again, read many complaints about the size of this room, since it is billed as a suite. We were aware of the size of the room from the resorts website, but wanted Ocean Front and loved it. Sandals was very CLEAR that there were larger suites, but not ocean front. We got what we wanted, but I researched the rooms, why anyone just books hoping its what they want is beyond me. A little research and you klnow EXACTLY what the hotel is, but again some people are just cranky. The reviews that say A holiday inn is a better place are way off base - and frankly it pisses me off that people are so rude to LIE about this resort. It is great, and if you have a problem staff is everywhere AND HAPPY to fix it. If you get there and dont like your room that is your fault, Sandals is very clear on what they are providing.

Food was good and different all over. Spices is good for breakfast, ( i read complaints about the scrambled eggs but the omelet bar makes you eggs to order, so QUIT complaining and get to the omelet bar and order what you want! Sheesh!!) I also read complaints about flies on fruit, flies on the Latte machine, NOT TRUE!! Its all very clean, and the Latte machine is yummy!! Dinner was good everyehere, I had lobster a lot and it was great! Hubby is a steak guy and he liked it. Gordons was good, but the lobster was good at every restaurant we went to for dinner. The pizza place is great, wood fired pizza on the spot, try the gorgonzola pizza, yummy!!

Bars/Drinks
Drinks were great - get the dirty banana, yummy!! Again, read complaints about no booze in the drinks, bad quality etc. Really?? Our drinks were always strong, and flowing freely. We got whatever brand we asked for, and no cheap booze hangovers the next day. I'm thinking some people are just looking for a problem. Lance at the bar was wonderful!! I think one day he will make a great butler! Same with Kazar, Kajar or Kazat or Kacjar?? Dang, I wish I could remember his name, he served us outside the piano bar on the patio ands was so great!!

Overalll - if you want a resort that is fun, no kids, great service, good food and wonderful friendly staff, book here. The beaches and pools are great, and so is the island. One night after dinner, a general manager stopped us as we walked by, just to make sure we were happy! I wish I could remember her name. If you will be unhappy to have outdated bathroom fixtures, or see a crack in some stucco somewhere, don't go. Why anyone cares about a faucet is beyond me when they can be at the beach!!! No one ever had a problem getting beach or pool chairs, and we met many people all week long, some without butlers, and they all loved the place and had great service! Again, if you do your research you will not have any surprises and you willl have a great vacation at this resort. These people who have a review that say they hated it, or couldn't wait for their vaction to end because the place was old, or had bad service, you cannot believe those lies. FYI - if you get here and experience a problem, got to management, I am certain they will fix it for you immediately! We watched it happen, however we also saw management fix a minor issue with a couple about dinner reservations, and they still had frowns all week. Some people are just mean, lazy and grumpy. Great place, do your research and book the resort. We can't wait to go back in August 2015!!

I'd be happy to answer any direct questions just message me.

Room Tip: Choose Balmoral Tower ocean front rooms for a fabulous view!
7  Thank trishs99
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Hello trishs99,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your fantastic experience at Sandals Royal Bahamian with us! We are pleased that you fully enjoyed your entire stay in beautiful Bahamas and that the staff was able to take care of all your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

My husband and I renewed our vows for our 25th anniversary and wanted a romantic place to do it. Amanda from the wedding office was so attentive to us and when there was a glitch and our ceremony cake was misplaced after the ceremony, Amanda had the chef make a whole new cake for us. The setting was gorgeous and everyone there made our day fabulous. We loved our 3 butlers Dillon, Everette, and Antonio, they were so helpful and fun. Our candlelight dinner on the beach was awesome, very romantic and the the food fabulous. The only thing we could say was lacking was Kimonos, the chef we had stated he was the "quiet" one and only cooked the meal, no show, and the food was terribly over salted and overcooked as also stated by our table mates after the meal. The bed was also a little too firm for us.

Room Tip: We were in the Balmoral penthouse butler suite room 510 and had magnificent views of the beach, wate...

Hello there Janice,

What a lovely idea to renew your vows and we are honored to have been chosen to be a part of such a special event. Thank you for sharing your lovely memories of your time at Sandals Royal Bahamian and we are so pleased that you returned home with many happy memories of your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed at SRB on March 22nd through the 28th. Me and my wife had a very dissapointing experiance. I would read through all the poor reviews and see if there is common complaints ( food, booze and rooms ). Spent a lot of money to have a very unpleasant experiance. Would not visit a Sandals property again.

Room Tip: Stay at another resort.
11  Thank Charles S

Dear Charles,

We are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your time at Sandals Royal Bahamian, despite our staff's attempts to address the concerns you raised during your stay. We truly wanted you both to have a lovely vacation and we are quite disappointed that we were not able to meet all your expectations. The management staff has been notified of your remarks and will follow-up further.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Sandals Royal Bahamian marks itself up to be an exquisite experience of a lifetime. The Butler service is described to be nothing less than perfection, absorbing your every wish and surpassing your wildest expectation. My husband and I Honeymooned at this particular Sandals mid March this year. We elected the Butler service and the Honeymoon Penthouse Suite in the Balmoral Tower. As described in the beautifully poetic definition of its standards, our experience was to be prolific... We were to be showered with a welcome drink, cold towel, immediate greeting of our night in shining armor Butler, escort around the premise, hand and foot service including immediate and personal luggage delivery.

The Butler Service - When we arrived, the bellman handed us a cold towel and we stood in the entry way. I took a gander around for about 2 minutes until the bellman asked us to wait in a reception room that was empty. We sat for 20 minutes before I went to the reception desk (across the hall) to ask for water and notify someone we had been waiting for...what...I don't know, but waiting. A woman by the name of Kanese came in and asked us if we had been helped and we indicated to her that we had not and we were waiting for our butler. Five minutes later, Kanese retuned and said, "I guess I'm your butler!" She escorted us up to our room and told us our luggage would arrive shortly. She explained to us a bit about the resort, the restaurants, and told us she was ONE of THREE other Butlers that would be working while we were staying with SRB. In the description for our magnanimous Butler Suite, it was indicated we would have a personal Butler, not three. I wasn't concerned at the time - but continue reading and come down our rabbit hole with us. So we are perusing each corner of our itty bitty hotel room they call a "suite"; by far the tiniest hotel room I've ever stayed in. We waited 30 minutes for our luggage before calling the "butler phone" which we were given as a way for us to immediately contact our "personal butler". Now, my husband and I are very 'do it yourself' people and we would have had no problem schlepping our crap around ourselves. It was only because the lovely bellman told us not to worry, we didn't. I could not reach anyone on the butler phone. I finally called the reception desk and told them we needed our luggage immediately so we could change and eat. Ten minutes later, Kanese called us letting us know our luggage was on its way up and the bellman was on floor 5 and would be to our floor 6 next. Fifteen minutes later, our luggage arrived. We explored the resort, ate at the Spiceys buffet - which was a tex-mex style spread. I was pleased with the food. We went and laid by the west pool for some relaxation and sun. We decided to go back up to our room and nap. We ended up sleeping through the night and missed dinner. The next morning I was up at about 4am. Around 7am (when the butler instructions said they were available) I tried to order breakfast. Butler category rooms are able to order food 24 hours. When I called the Butler phone, there was no answer - straight to vmail. I called and called and by 7:20 I decided to just call the kitchen who told me I could not be served until breakfast hours opened at 7:30am. I tried explaining that we were Butler category and the woman in Room service said she would try and get ahold of our butler. I walked down to reception with my butler phone, and my butler information sheets and tried to reason with the staff as to why our service had been so delayed and incomparable to the description we "paid for". The wonderful receptionist made a few phone calls and finally located our butler and told us she would be up in 5 minutes. I returned to our room and about 15 minutes later our breakfast arrived on the shoulders of our Butler Kanese. We chatted for a moment and with each answer of a question I would ask, she would back toward the door stating "ok well if you need anything else just call" and I continue to say "oh but wait we have more questions". I felt as though it was not her priority to answer our questions nor did she want to be available. I later crossed paths with the receptionist and she told me with a smirk "tomorrow she WILL have her phone on and be ready to work by 7am". We went on with our day. We went to the offshore island where we were greeted by Natika and Everette who were friendly and lovely. On the way to the island we were told that we could only beach play on one side, as the other side was reserved by a cruise line who purchased that part of the island for their guests who share the island for the day periodically. Now in Sandals description of SRB off-shore island it says nothing about it being "shared" with any cruise line who would dump 100-200 people off at any given time to "share" the island. It is described as a "private" island owned by Sandals for you to enjoy an exclusive and private experience. Not the case. Now, I will say that the service we received from Natika (another member of our butler team) and Everette was not only exquisite, but personal and fun. We basked in the sun, swam a little and then headed back to the main island. When we got back, we went to our room and got ready for our dinner which would be at 7:30pm. We were greeted by another and the last member of our team, Sansirae. She was very sweet and asked us if we needed anything and confirmed she would be back to our hotel at 7:20pm to escort us to dinner. I ran into Kanese downstairs when I went to grab some piña coladas and she told me Sansirae had been trying to reach us on the butler phone - I realized I left the butler phone on the offshore island. I immediately put the word out to the staff so they may be able to find it. For the rest of the evening, I did not have a phone but I wasn't worried about it because dinner reservations were already made and I had already confirmed with Sansirae what time she would be coming to get us. I got ahold of Sansirae again at about 6:30pm - she just wanted to make sure it was still 7:20pm pick up time. Confirmed. Done. So at 7:20pm my husband and I were ready to go. I checked the dress code for casual night and it said t-shirts and shorts and sandals were appropriate. It didn't mention anything about what was not appropriate so I wore a sun dress and my husband wore a nice white jersey tank top and shorts. 7:23pm I tried calling the butler extension...no answer...7:24pm...no answer and no Sansirae. It got to be 7:28pm and there was no Butler and no answer so we decided just to walk ourselves, no big deal. We got downstairs and ran into Sansirae laughing and talking with another couple who were sitting down. We made eye contacts and I, very politely, just said, "we didn't see you up there so we decided to walk, no big deal it's like 7:30 so we didn't want to miss dinner." She turned in surprise and in front of this other couple copped a nice little attitude and said, "well my watch say....7.....20.....4". I looked at her and said, "you said you'd be there at 7:20" and we continued walking. After about 300 feet I saw Sansirae traipsing behind us. We walked into the restaurant and the host grabbed us menus and escorted us to a table. He sat me, then he went to seat my husband and instead said "oh sir we need you to change your shirt, no tank tops". We both walked out and my husband felt very embarrassed that the couples we were sandwiched in between were basically staring at us and he was confused at why the host didn't notify him to change before he went to seat us. We both felt like if Sansirae had greeted us when she was supposed to, she would have notified us in our room of the dress code details and this wouldn't have happened. I decided enough was enough, the bad service was unacceptable for $1100 a night!! I walked into the reception area and demanded a manager. When the manager came in, she had already been approached by Sansirae about the situation. The managers name was Audry...and she was an angel. Not only did she comp us a non-inclusive meal on the ocean front with five star, white glove service, but she promised she would make up the experience for us and turn around this negative situation. The next morning I was called by Diana, the butler manager, who told me she would be switching our Butler team. Ten minutes later, a knock on our door brought us Everette. We had indicated to Diana that we had been impressed by Everette on the offshore island. Everette's team had been raved as THE BEST butler team. The team was comprised of Everette, Dylan and Antonio. Not only did each of them surpass our expectations but it is because of them, and Audry, that our negative experiences were turned completely around. Everette even went across the street to purchase my husbands favorite beer for our poolside afternoon one day. There was never a moment when I couldn't reach one of our butlers. There was never a moment where any of them dropped the ball or didn't hustle. We were so impressed. Everette, especially, would anticipate our needs, not just wait for us to tell him, but would literally calculate our patterns and make decisions based on our patterns, our wake-up times, our food interested, our drink interests - he did not miss a beat. Dylan and Antonio made me feel like a princess - they altered reservations and menus for us to accommodate my husbands picky taste and our desire to eat with friends. Honestly, if you're going to go to Sandals Royal Bahamian and select a butler category room, YOU HAVE TO REQUEST EVERETTE and his team.

The hotel itself is beautiful. It is decked out like Caesars Palace and set on a beautiful shoreline; however, the view is consistently obstructed by The pier and Gordon's restaurant. You can still see the horizon if you're up high, but there is a pestering view of the pier which I wish wasn't the case. The restaurant staff are not the friendliest people and we were constantly getting the feeling like they did not particularly fancy us tourists. This feeling was shared by two other couples we conversed with at Sandals. The Japanese restaurant Kimonos was fun because of the Tepan chefs - but other than that and Gordon's, every eating experience contained some run in with a disgruntled or unhappy staff member. One woman told us we couldn't sit at an open table we pointed at The Crystal Room's breakfast buffet and we would have to wait 15 minutes for a table - literally a guy walked by us right after that and said, "table for two?", and pulled out a chair from the exact table the woman two minutes earlier said we couldn't sit at....random things like that.

The food from the evening restaurants was excellent in my opinion. The morning buffet at Spiceys was delicious, except for the eggs - don't eat the buffet eggs - they are powdered. I was shocked that some of the food was clearly not fresh seen as they claim to be fresh exquisite food - not the case with eggs. The morning buffet at Crystal Room was so so.

The activities - STAY AWAY FROM THE BUBBLE SUB. Oh my god, worst experience ever. We got a refund we were so disappointed. The boat was old and completely exposed to the sun, no shade unless you wanted to below to the lower deck with all the dangerous equipment....which they asked you not to do for long periods of time. The bubble subs were uncomfortable. The boat claimed to take you to "exotic corals reefs" and they were not exotic. They took us to a reef just about 100 yards off shore so it was pretty choppy and close to oil rigs and fishing boats. They didn't have enough snorkel equipment for everyone and they offered no water or any beverages - for a 4+ hour activity? FOUR of our fellow passenger's subs, not including ours, ran out of battery when we were down below. One woman's sub even ran out of air!!! There were TWO kinds of fish we saw, not "thousands" as the brochure described. The sub advertisement claimed you "navigate 20 ft under the surface through mazes of beautiful reef" which was the largest load of crock ever. We were about 10-15 ft under with obstructed glass view of anything straight ahead of us, which was the scuba divers navigating us, sand and a distant view of reef. It was total BS and we got our money back. We did do the Discoved Atlantis full pass (beaches, water park, aquarium) and it was lovely. Stay away from Stuart Cove activities. They are a rip-off.

Overall I would describe our once in a life-time honeymoon as "so-so". I've left out a lot of details (surprisingly) that we were less than happy with but my hands are tired. It was beautiful and nice to relax, eat and drink for free, and be away from our country for a minute....but it wasn't worth $7100. We felt a little bamboozled by Sandal's description of the resort AND services. The ONLY saving grace for our experience was the Butler Team (EVERETTE, DYLAN, ANTONIO). We will not return to a Sandals again. We did not feel it was better than average. I travel for work and I stay in hotels two to three times a month and I've been more impressed by ambience and service in a Holiday Inn Express than I was here at Sandals. I would have rather NOT elected the butler service so that I did not have the expectation of excellence. I would have rather not elected a "suite" so that I did not have the expectation of a room designed to uphold the name. If we had chosen to pay $4000 and stayed in a lower level normal room and just went to have fun and relax, we would have probably enjoyed ourselves a little more. It was the expectation of excellence that was force-fed down our mouths in every description we were given that fooled us into thinking we would be treated like Kings and live a life of royalty for five days - it was just wasn't the case - and it was disappointing.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Arielle B

Hello Arielle,

We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations during your honeymoon stay at Sandals Royal Bahamian. The situations that you describe do not seem to meet our high standards and we do apologize for any shortcoming on our part. We are pleased that our staff did try to remedy the issues you mentioned but we understand that you were still disappointed with the overall experience. We appreciate you taking the time to notify us of your concerns and we will be looking into this matter further. Thank you for your review and we hope you will afford us another opportunity to provide the exceptional service for which we are known on a future visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection