“Amazing Scuba Diving and Great Staff”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The main purpose for our trip was to go somewhere for a few days to get away from the unusually long cold winter in Toronto. It was our first time at a Sandals resort and didn't really have any preconceived expectations. I must say that overall, we were very happy with the trip. I can fuss over little things like some of the other reviews....things like a waiter forgetting to refill a coffee or taking a little long to get service. People have to realize, you are in the Bahamas and part of relaxing is slowing down the hectic pace we experience every day in our crazy north American lifestyle. Our stay was five nights and we were able to book 3 dinners upon our arrival. On my first day, I took the scuba certification course. I must say that I was totally impressed with the staff looking after the scuba training and dives. they were all very professional and a special shout out to Samuel Bastian, my dive instructor. he made the experience totally enjoyable, very easy and got to experience diving with sharks, large turtles, many species of fish, great corals and ship wreck. The food was generally very good, with the exception a few entrees which were "ok", but that can happen anywhere, so again, not worth fussing over.

it was exactly what we wanted. Get away from the cold, relax, meet some nice people, good service. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peaks67
Write a ReviewReviews (9,065)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was our 2nd trip to a Sandals. We stayed at Sandals flagship resort, Montego Bay, Jamaica last Jan with a Concierge level oceanfront room, and we LOVED it! We expected this resort to be better since it's more expensive and ranked #2 out of all hotels in Nassau. We originally booked a complete oceanview room in the Balmoral tower, which was renovated the month before our trip. They asked us when we booked if we'd like to upgrade to Concierge level room for an extra $60, so we did. I'm not sure it was worth it. Upon arrival to the Concierge check-in, they showed us where to eat lunch and told us to come back around 3pm to get our room. We were escorted to our room with 2 other couples, and not given a tour of the property, which was given right away at Sandals in Jamaica. Our room was in the "newly" renovated Windsor tower (by the loud pool), and on the far left side of the property (if you're facing the ocean). Our 5th floor room was very spacious which was great, and overlooked the new river swim-up suites, as well as local apartments and a parking lot...we had a small oceanview. The light switches didn't work right and 1 light on the nightstand didn't work at all in our room, the alarm clock didn't work, and the air conditioner was making dripping noises. It was cleaned well every day. Some of the employees during our stay were remarkable at their jobs...really what we expected as return guests. Playmaker Linden was great-he challenged my husband to a game of ping pong, and one of the servers at the pool, Lance was also amazing. He was constantly making sure everyone had what they needed and had a smile on his face! Other Playmakers seemed to really be in great conversation with guests...they do a great job in that area! Many of the other employees weren't as kind or happy...just not the service we expected because we were spoiled with such generosity and amazing attitudes in Jamaica. The pool by the Balmoral tower was quite cold all week, but the Windsor pool was nice and warm. The Offshore Island is beautiful...we went over there 3 days. We ate at Stewfish for lunch there 2 times and it was delicious! You must bring your own snorkel equipment over to the island and then you can snorkel your heart out. Otherwise, included snorkel trips are tough to get from the Aqua Center...we wanted to go a few times but only could book 1 trip since they were filled up. If you want to snorkel, book those trips right away your first day, as well as your dinner reservations, which are also hard to get. We thought Baccarat would be the best included restaurant from what we had heard. I ordered my steak medium-well and it was closer to rare. Our server didn't offer to have a new one made. Other than that, he was very nice and did a great job. My husband then had a steak at Casanovoa, the Italian restaurant, and the server told us the type of steak was like a Filet. It was so tough and full of gristle, he ended up leaving most of it on the plate.

Overall, if you are a first time Sandals guest and aren't picky, you'll probably enjoy this resort. That being said, as returning "Sandals Club Select Guests"...having seen what Sandals Montego Bay was like and how their employees interacted with their guests, we rank Royal Bahamian below it. At Sandals Montego Bay, you get more bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to Concierge-it's not worth the $. Either go all out and get Butler suite, or...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jenna M
Reviewed March 6, 2014

First off if you want to Scuba Dive, answer all questions on the release for as NO, if you say you have one thing off you will be BANNED from Diving. I checked that I had a colonoscopy 4 years ago and I was not allowed to dive. What in the heck does having a colonoscopy have to do about going scuba diving. Next, the Island or shall I call it HALF of and island. For heaven sake don't go to the west end of the island. You are forbidden from that part. As a regular traveler to the out islands in the Bahamas I thought it would be nice to spend the day on the island and then have dinner their. NOPE you have to leave the island and come back later. Why can't you just stay and enjoy the sunset on the beach. Those were my main disappointments., a minor one was that when you order a strawberry daiquiri they use some kind of red syrup. I would expect Sandals to have real strawberries and other real fruit in the drinks. On a the good side, the resort was ok and the staff were great. They just need to bring it up to the standards they make you believe they offer. Would I go back....... maybe, but definitely not Nassau, the resort was too old. The old Playboy Club from many years ago.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jeff J
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My husband and stayed at Sandals for our honeymoon and it was an absolute dream. Very beautiful, worth every penny. The food was amazing, which you don't expect at all-inclusive resorts. Whichever restaurant you choose, is fabulous. The staff was very nice and helpful, the activities they have throughout the day keep you entertained. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to for relaxation with your significant other.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BellaC1987
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed in a beachfront room with butler service. From the moment we got picked up at the airport we were treated with excellent service by everyone at the resort. The resort was wonderful and so clean.The butlers were excellent Dillon, Everette and Antonio. The food was excellent at all the restaurants as were the service staff. The beach was lovely but not long so a good walk was out of the question. The offshore island was out of this world so peaceful with just a restaurant and a swim up pool.
Thanks Dillon and Everette for making it an unforgettable holiday . We would return to Sandals as all the staff were so pleasant and friendly.
The drinks were really good as well. Wine was best we have had at an all inclusive resort. we stayed here from the 5 the to the 15 February 2014.

Room Tip: Beachfront Windsor rooms were excellent quitter side of the resort.
1  Thank steve b
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was our 8th visit to a Sandals resort so you can guess that we love their resorts.

Bahamas is a beautiful island. The water is like an aquarium! This Sandals is a wonderful resort and great place for a couple to relax. The large heated pool was a big welcome surprise. The off-shore island was perfect to go snorkeling from. Some people will complain because there was pool construction going on at one building during the day. This didn't bother us. It was actually the entertainment from our balcony to watch their progress. The staff (all staff in the entire resort) were very nice and always took the time to say hello and make sure your vacation was good. Our meals were what we expected from a Sandals resort. Having a local bus to pick you up right in front of the resort and take you into town was great. They showed 2 movies while we were there that we really wanted to see so that was also a great surprise.

We really had no complaints but in a review, you really need to list something that can be improved upon. That would be - there was no buffet for dinner.

We don't like to have schedule things on vacation but every restaurant was turned into a sit-down-order-from-the-menu ordeal because they said they were full. Even though service was quick, we like to show up whenever it feels right for us and be able to grab dinner. Since it was a busy week, they took away the buffet option and made it a reservation event. Didn't quite make sense to us. If someone just wanted to grab something light and go on their way, this was not possible. It would also be nice to have water and soda that people can access at the bars on their own without waiting. I know it is probably part of the white glove service but I can certainly get a cup of water on my own and would prefer to not wait while 10 blender drinks are made.

3  Thank gigiandfrodo
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was my wife and I first trip to the Bahamas but our third Sandals.
The other 2 were in Jamaica. The only real negative I found was upon arrival.
It just wasn't up to the normal Sandals Welcome we was accustomed to in Jamaica.
It wasn't personal and it definitely wasn't a great experience. Waiting to check in was a slow
process and not very personable. We got led to our room with 3 other couples and then got left sitting in the foyer of our building for about 30 minutes while 1 person escorted the others to their room. When we finally got to our room it wasn't exactly what we had hoped for either. Overlooking a construction site. But we made the best of it even though it seemed like everyone else in our building was asking to be either upgraded or moved. We just chose not to complain since we was hardly in our room to start with. The only other possible complaint I might add is that the hostess at every restaurant we dined in seemed to really take their time to seat you. I know we are on Island Time but when there is a line forming at the front door someone should be there to wait on you. Other than that we had an awesome time. Went Scuba diving for the first time after going through the Sandals training. I would like to thank "Tiny" our instructor for being so patient with my wife and I. He is a very good instructor! Had a good experience under the water. The pools were clean and very large. The beaches were ok. Not huge, and the water
did have a lot of sea weed floating around in it. Not necessarily Sandals problem, but still not
pleasant. Anyway.... if I had never been to any other Sandals I probably would of been impressed. But I doubt we go back to the Bahamas any time soon To many other places to see and play at.

2  Thank Redflagguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection