Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at Sandals for 5 nights and had a wonderful time. The people who work there were so nice and helpful -- you can tell they enjoy their jobs. There were always several things going on in the evening, including a Junkinoo night, a live band playing oldies, saxophone by the fire pits, and sing-alongs at the piano bar. We had a middle-priced room and it was huge, with a nice balcony and king-size bed. Everything was clean and well-tended. The only thing that was not as good as some of the places we have stayed was the food. The restaurants, while not requiring reservations at most, had very limited menus and the buffet never seemed to change. But overall, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the Windsor building, ask to face the pool -- the other side looks down on...
1  Thank Lori S
Write a ReviewReviews (9,150)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Sandals is the most fun a couple can have. Everything is included. We have now stayed at eight different sandals and have enjoyed all of them. The suites are great and the butler service is awesome. On this property the offshore island is a nice addition. We could of stayed here forever!

Room Tip: Get butler service it really makes the difference.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Beautiful resort! Plenty to do or do nothing. Pools are great. One for quiet, one with music and games. Most of the food is excellent. We went to one restaurant, Crystal room, that we did not like very much but all others were great. Would love to return but it is a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Balmoral Tower is very nice but ask for a 3rd floor or above. When there, go up to the sixth floor j...
1  Thank Polly051
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at The Royal Bahamian for two weeks during September in one of the penthouse suites in the Balmoral Tower and we could not have wished for a better time. This holiday was to celebrate a special birthday and my better eye sight following surgery which meant I could swim without the worry of contact lenses.
This is the third Sandals we have visited, the others being Negril in Jamaica and La Toc in St Lucia. This resort is the winner by far.
Our transfer from the airport was in a Rolls and the driver Tamar was great fun and gave us a guided tour for the short drive.
We were met by Everett one of our butlers with a glass of champagne who took us straight to our room. After a very quick check-in he showed us the amenities in the room and then left us to relax.
All the extras we had asked for were there and Everett had booked restaurants for us for the first few days and thereafter everything was organised for us by him, Dillon or Antonio.
The Penthouse suites are lovely and we were very pleased with ours. Two minor points - the bath is much smaller than those we have had at other resorts - makes the romantic bath the butlers draw for you a bit squashed :-) but the champagne made up for it. The other little thing is the balcony, lovely as it is, has no proper roof only beams. Unfortunately we had a lot of storms and could hardly ever sit out to admire the view - even if it wasn't raining it almost always had been so everything was wet.
The property is lovely and immaculately kept. There are several hot tubs around the pools and lots of fire-pits which are nice to sit around in the evenings.
We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed them all but had our favourites. Gordon's, Baccarat and the Crystal Room were lovely, the Italian and Japanese were good too but didn't hit the spot for us. We had dinner on the beach one evening and would recommend that - the service and sunset was out of this world.
We spent our days either at the "quiet" pool or on the private island which we would have gone to every day if the weather had allowed. Just perfect for us, quiet if we wanted but could socialise in the pool if we felt like it. Lunch was delicious here too.
We didn't venture out much - went over to Atlantis twice (for the casino) and had hysterically funny taxi drivers both times, they both gave us all the facts on the highlights of Nassau but the versions didn't match, but it didn't matter one bit.
The Piano Bar is a must. Fluffy And Cupcake are the best barmen we have met in Sandals so far and they kept us and everyone else entertained.
The street party on Friday evening is worth going to - the Bahamian brass bands are incredible and I just wanted to join in.
The pub is ok - most people going in for a snack and to watch their football teams! Not my cup of tea but my other half liked the atmosphere.
We went to the night club a couple of times (and were last to leave) and also watched a few minutes of a few shows. There are things to do for most people.
The most important part of this review is about every member of staff we came across, from the General Manager, our butlers, all the servers, room maids, boat crews, gardeners and anyone else who works at this lovely resort, all helped to make us feel so welcome and made our stay so special.
Everett, Dillon and Antonio are "simply the best". Once they got to know how we liked things we didn't have to ask. Our dinner reservations were all made, our spots by the pool or on the island were always set out with towels, a cooler with beer and a bottle of fizz in a bucket of ice. The surprises in the room, the amazing animals they made from folding towels - I am sure they were trying to outdo each other. Anything we asked for we got with a smile but they did so many things we didn't ask for too.
These three lovely, funny butlers made our trip as memorable as I had hoped it would be. Request them - you won't regret it.
I would go back in a heartbeat and hope to do so soon. We had already booked to return to Sandals La Toc in January 14 before this trip but are worried that they are in trouble as we have been so spoiled ......

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrsketney
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have just returned from our AMAZING vacation at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We spent 7 nights in paradise 10/11-10/18. I think I've read nearly every review on here and I just don't get the bad ones. It sounds like a lot of people just weren't sure what they were getting. Read before you go... see the rooms, know the room categories, know what you need to pack for the night time dress code, and be aware of what level of service you PAID FOR. We aren't complainers by nature, and tend to just go with the flow on vacation. If you are a complainer, I'm sure you will find something to complain about if you are looking for it. But it is what you make it, and we always try to make it a great one. Honestly, nothing bad sticks out in my mind.

Having previously traveled to Sandals Grande in St. Lucia (and loved it), we weren't sure how this resort would compare. It far exceeded my expectations! The ride from the airport was less than 15 minutes (compared to 90 minutes in St. Lucia--I get motion sickness, so this is BIG for me), better beach here (from the back side of the island), and the food was FAR BETTER. We consistently had good meals...more on that below.

Based on a tip from someone here on TripAdvisor, we booked the Beachfront Club Level room in the Balmoral Tower. These are TOTALLY beachfront with oversized balconies. They are the SAME EXACT rooms the Butler Service guests in the Balmoral Tower are getting, without having to pay for the Butler. Not once did we suffer by NOT having a butler. I don't think the resort was fully booked, however, so maybe that makes a difference. There were always plenty of pool chairs, plenty of available cabanas on the island, and we had no trouble getting dinner reservations. The view from our room was amazing. The minibar well stocked. We aren't in it for the alcohol... but did leave kind notes requesting items we would like more of in our fridge (coke, sprite, juice, etc) and we were always accommodated. I loved that even with our balcony doors closed, we could still hear the waves crashing outside. So relaxing!

Each day we would enjoy breakfast (usually at Spices buffet) and then take the first boat over to the island. No, Sandals doesn't own the entire island... but honestly, I never even noticed. I never once saw or heard a single cruise ship guest- they are very well separated. I promise you won't even know they are there. There is plenty of island to be able to spread out and enjoy the quiet. You will feel like you have it to yourself practically. The food at the island restaurant is pretty good (the only place I'd rank a bit lower than the other places)... but often we weren't hungry for a big lunch so we'd get a "to go" order of conch fritters, fries, wraps, etc and they kindly wrap it up on a plate for you to enjoy at the beach. Fantastic. The back side of the island is the place to be. The beach is beautiful. Here's a tip: If you can grab the first cabana to the left as you walk through to the back side of the island from the restaurant, you can still hit the resort's wifi there. (I know, you are on vacation... ditch the wifi... but it just so happens this was the best time of the day for us to facetime with our children so it came in handy for us). Each day we enjoyed the island, we'd munch a bit for lunch, then head back to the main resort around 2. There, we'd enjoy the pool for a bit. We never stayed at the quiet pool (older crowd there it seemed), but the "party pool" was big fun with activities and music. The playmakers really make sure everyone is having a good time. Don't be afraid to join in. No one knows you on vacation, so you have nothing to lose being embarrassed. ;)

The only "excursion" we did was the Atlantis Aquaventure day pass and it was SO much fun! Definitely wear water shoes or your feet will HURT.

We had a couples massage on the island one day that was heavenly. Very professional and perfectly relaxing.

Jermaine in the photo shop took some sunset photos of us one evening and they turned out great. He was so accommodating, and even gave us a little extra time to get some better shots. We ran into him around the resort for the next few days and he always remembered our names. We appreciated that. Ask for him to take your photos, you won't be disappointed.

Now to the food... I expected the food to be just "so so" but I was pleasantly surprised. We never had a problem with bad service.
Spices: Breakfast and lunch buffet. Very good and a little bit of everything. For dinner is reservations only (selected nights) and a Caribbean menu.
Royal Cafe: Grab nachos to go during the day and take it poolside. Or... sit down and they have typical lunch fare (burgers, sandwiches, etc). We had burgers and thought they were great.
Pizza Napoli: Yum! Wish we could have had this more. We never did a special order pizza, just the grab and go. Often we'd pair this with nachos from Royal Cafe and eat it by the pool or take it to the room for an afternoon snack.
Cricketeers Pub: Pub fare, fun atmosphere. Can be loud. Cheese sticks were awesome. Go here for a late night snack.
Kimonos: WOW. Loved it. Sushi was good, and everything was cooked perfectly. Chicken, steak, shrimp, mahi mahi. Our chef was very entertaining and it was fun getting to know the people we were seated with. An older couple sat beside us and told us this was their 7th time returning to this resort because they love it so much. I can see why!
Cassanova: Antipasti bar was so good! Chicken Parm was great! This was one of my favorites!
Baccarat: (reservations required) Beautiful, elegant atmosphere. Vincent was our waiter and he was awesome. Steak was perfectly cooked, and fish was also good. Lovely presentation.
Cafe Goombay: Island restaurant for lunch. OK offerings... we ended up just getting small things to go to eat on the beach.
Stewfish: Island restaurant for dinner (reservations required). Great atmosphere. Food was rather spicy which I'm not a fan of, but everyone else we were with loved it.
Crystal Room: This was the only place where we didn't eat... only because we ran out of time. Hate we missed it!
Private Candelight Dinner: (for our anniversary)... LOVED IT ALL. Delicious. We got to pick our menu beforehand and everything was wonderful. They really went out of their way to make that day special for us... towel swans in the room with rose petals and chocolates, anniversary card from Club Sandals team, Happy Anniversary sign on our door. (And no, we aren't butler guests, so this was a nice touch). Our desserts at the dinner said "happy anniversary" and the butlers even sang to us. We loved it!

My only complaint... is that we couldn't stay longer! We had a fabulous time! I am missing it already...

Room Tip: Balmoral Tower rooms are newly renovated. Rooms 9-16 (for example, 409, 410, 411, 412, 414, 415, 41...
4  Thank LY111
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Five nights at Sandals Royal Bahamian only whetted our appetite for more. We had the most wonderful anniversary trip imaginable, and our butlers, Angeline, Levi, Melissa, and Yorlet made it very special. I have celiac disease and need a strict gluten-free diet, and all the chefs and waiters took excellent care of us as well. Our suite was spacious and luxurious, the bar well-stocked, and the food delicious. The offshore island is a romantic and idyllic vacation within a vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Hello and thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Bahamian, Kim! We are ecstatic that you had an amazing Anniversary trip and that you truly enjoyed your stay from beginning to end! Our staff members are wonderful and I am so pleased that our culinary team took such great care of you!
We look forward to welcoming you back again! :)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My bride and I got married here a few weeks ago, and we stayed 9 nights. We had a butler suite in the Balmoral Tower. Some highlights and advice:

*We felt the butler suite was worth the added cost. Our butlers-- especially Vincent-- were wonderful. You haven't lived until you've sat on the beach, picked up your special butler cell phone, and asked for a pizza and a rum runner to be delivered to your beach chair. I could be a billionaire and wouldn't do any differently. Complaints about this property often come from those who didn't have butler suites. They often feel like second class citizens, not getting into good restaurants, etc.

*The Balmoral Tower was nice, with a great location. Right on the beach, and quieter than the Windsor Tower. The Windsor pool always seemed to have some loud pool game or whatever going on. Not our scene, though it may be yours. Tip: we were on the fifth floor of the Balmoral Tower, right under the sixth floor fitness center. This was bad for two reasons: 1) you could hear people plodding on the treadmills early in the morning, and 2) our balcony didn't have a proper roof, so we got wet if it rained. If we were to go back, I'd definitely choose the fourth floor.

*If you like snorkeling, take your own gear as others have recommended. We ordered some $60 sets from amazon and they served us well. Snorkel off the north end of the private island, near the east side. We saw many varieties of fish. The water is as clear as it looks in the pictures. Stunning.

*If you have a butler, ask to reserve the cabana on the private island that's farthest east. Completely private and amazing.

*The wedding office was great. From the planner to the photographer to the minister, we were very happy. The included wedding amenities were perfectly fine for us, though it was just the two of us with no guests.

*Get a couples massage on the private island. Something you just can't do anywhere else. You'll remember it forever.

*We took a cab to Atlantis a few times. We like to gamble, and the casino was kind to us. The comps were also quite generous-- we got $400 in food comps, and we're not whales. But even if you don't gamble, take the 25 minute cab ride. The aquarium-- especially the giant manta ray-- is amazing.

*Gordon's on the Pier is worth a splurge (it's included with butler service, but costs extra without it). While dining we saw a stingray swim by. How cool is that? The food was ok, but the overall experience was unforgettable. Sometimes it's not about the food.

*As part of our included wedding package, we got dinner on the beach. That night there were six tables set up on the beach, a good 30 feet from each other. Again, the food was adequate, but the overall experience was something we'll always remember. Highly recommended. You can pay for this even if not getting married. I would.

*We enjoyed most of the specialty restaurants, and we tried them all. Is it the best food you'll ever eat? Probably not. But it's good. Don't believe people who say it's Applebee's quality... it's definitely a step up from that. For an all inclusive resort, at this price point, we found it quite acceptable and appropriate. Tip: beef isn't their specialty; I don't think there's a single cow on the island. Understandably, seafood is better.

*The pizza joint is as good as everyone says. Lunch options are a bit limited, but I didn't mind with this place!

*The "Playmakers," the wandering entertainers of sorts, are actually a bit annoying, and not as clever as they think. We just didn't find them funny. A makeshift "Newlywed Game" was slow-witted and quite painful to watch. We were so glad we hadn't volunteered to participate.

*An unaffiliated place next door will take you parasailing. We did it and it was okay... nice to say we tried it.

*The alcoholic drinks are ubiquitous and potent. The swim-up bars are cool.

*Take a side trip (by cab) to the "Fish Fry" region of the island. It's actually a group of humble restaurants that serve local cuisine. A good side trip for lunch, perhaps before heading into Nassau for trinket shopping. (Best to do this on a day when few cruise ships are in port-- ask the front desk, concierge, or your butler about that.). Try "sky juice," a coconut juice concoction that Tex (see below) described thusly: drink one and you're happy, two and you're really happy, three and you're looking at the sky!

*If you want to take a cab, ask for Tex. Your butler, or the concierge, should know who that is. He was an amazing guide, honest and friendly and very reasonably priced. We asked for him every time, and he took us all over the island. He'll act like he doesn't understand much English until he warms to you. Give him a good tip!

*Much of the island is crime-ridden and corrupt... just ask any honest local. Stick to the tourist areas. It's not that you'll be mugged or anything (in the daytime at least), it's that you just won't like it. Stay at Sandals.

*The upcoming, huge Baha Mar resort will make Sandals even more attractive, since a major casino will be even closer than is Atlantis. It'll be just a ten minute or so cab ride away.

I hope this helps. Overall we felt that Sandals offered an amazing value, and we plan to return someday.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TerminusEst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island