“Well worth every penny”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I spent my 37th birthday here with my boyfriend and from the time we got there it was nothing more than fabulous. The food was seasoned to perfection the drinks were plentiful. The pools looked nice as though we never got in having a beach right there the beach was to die for fish and other sea creatures swimming right along with you. I can wait to return to another sandals location I'm now a fan of Sandals resorts.

• Stayed: August 2013
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you for such a fabulous review and the lovely pictures! 37 looks great on you! We are so pleased that we could make your birthday trip so fun and that it was such a success! Sandals Royal Bahamian is a wonderful resort with a team committed to giving their absolute best! We do welcome you to explore all of the Sandals resorts, as they all have something wonderful to offer but we look forward to seeing you back at SRB as well!

Write a ReviewReviews (9,069)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I spent 6 days at this resort which included my birthday. Let me first say that we received a call for an upgraded room at a very reasonable price from headquarters. We took advantage of that, however, the main hotel never received the upgrade notice. PRINT your PROOF. That was what I needed to prove I upgraded so that I get what I paid for. Of course, what I paid for was booked solid so...........concierge was dynamite in doing their best to make sure we were taken care of. So I paid for the Windsor (booked) so they put me in the Balmoral - 3rd floor facing the quiet pool & ocean view. It was outstanding. Room was nicely maintained & well stocked with liquors, juices, soda & water. Concierge IS the way to go. No exceptions. Butler during off-peak season is a waste. Concierge get's you room service, liquors, all sorts of daily invites to events that regular guests are not invited to (martini tasting, wine tasting, free snorkeling, etc.). Shout out to Unicka who was the front desk concierge. She went out of her way to make us happy, show us to our room & make reservations for us with everything we wanted.
We ate at Baccarat, Stew Fish, Kimono's, Royal Cafe, Pizza place, Crystal Room, Cassanova's & room service. Let me just tell you that if you don't get any reservations in because they're booked, you CANNOT go wrong with Cassanova's & Crystal Room where you do not need reservations. Cassanova's has the most exquisite antipasto bar I have every seen. Dinner was ok but the bar takes the cake. Crystal Room was excellent. The rest were OK despite how much money you're spending to be at a resort with 10 restaurants. Stew Fish was the biggest let down but it was there when we were on the offshore island and hungry.
It was off-peak so we were able to get cabana's pretty much at any time & there's lots of shaded areas with umbrellas on the beach & pool areas.
The night life was minimal. But that's what you pay for when going to a romantic resort. They do have dancing at night, they have live music almost every evening & certainly some sort of entertainment. You cannot go wrong by going to the Piano Bar and being served by one of the most friendliest bartenders I've ever met. Kudo's to Shervin - he is on point with catering to everyone's needs & ensuring you ALWAYS have your beverage full.
I can say that not one time did I encounter any employee at the resort who did not greet me first with a hello or a smile. Every one we passed or who assisted us, served us, etc were very polite, kind, courteous & we did not wait for any drinks, meals, etc. Everything was on time.
Areas for improvement: 1) there should never be empty towel huts by the pools or beaches. That is a no-no especially when you're surrounded by water. 2) Tiles by the pool swim up bars need some cleaning. 3) Swim up bars really should not close so early. Everything seems to close early at the resort & it could use an additional 2 hours on all closing times. 4) Room service should have a checklist with what they check for & replenish. Should not have to run out of creamer, sugars, bath items, etc. 5) Double swinging doors in Balmoral by ice machine on floor 3 should not BANG louder than a jack hammer every time someone enters or exits that area waking up the entire floor at all hours of the night. I asked more than once for them to fix the door that is off the hinge. (that's the least of my worries).
Tips: Take the local bus right out front of resort for $1.25 each way to downtown. One afternoon is good enough. If you want to eat somewhere local, FishFry is the place to go. It's on the way to Downtown & has 25 restaurants (local foods) - be aware that not all are open all day but you can't go wrong anytime after 4. Stop in at Senor Frogs for a drink by the pier as well Downtown for a great view of the cruise ships & some great drinks. Staff is extremely pleasant & they have a live DJ that plays their music all day. Atlantis is over rated. You pay $45 pp to walk around. Really? That's absurd. So unless you want your lungs full of smoke because you're only allowed in the casino for free, don't bother going. Lots of kids running around too. Whole point of going to Sandals & the trip itself is to be away from them.
When you go to pool or beach, always take 2 towels per person. You will need it to cover the chairs & dry up and trust me, they do run out of towels at the huts so you don't want to be caught without a towel.
Most negative aspect was the smoking. You can smoke anywhere on the resort & we are not smokers so it was a little bit of a drag (no pun intended) when we get a nice cabana & the down wind has the next cabana's smokers air blowing our way. (another least of my worries).
If you do not enjoy yourself at this resort you're in the wrong place. If you do not find it romantic, you are in the wrong place. They go out of their way, above & beyond in my opinion to make sure you enjoy your stay & are taken care of in any way.
Don't forget your sunscreen, the sundry shop sells them for about 20 bucks a pop & that's insane. Bring lots of small bills so you don't get a pocket full of bahamas money if you go into town.
This is a cashless resort so there is NO ATM on the premises & they don't accept cash at all. You have to charge any additional experiences to your room or items purchased from sundry shop.
One final note, we paid for the Candlelight Beachfront Dinner. It was the most beautiful, romantic night of my life. They did an excellent job with the food, scenery, etc.
Great job Sandals. We loved it so much we booked Emerald Bay for next year while still at the Royal Bohemian!

Room Tip: Balmoral Room 302 had the PERFECT view of quite pool and ocean view. Best of both views. Royal Villa...
6  Thank Lee P
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and your gracious remarks! Your birthday trip seems to have been quite a success and we are happy to have played a role in that! Thank you for sharing your observations with us, as we do appreciate them and it will help us improve in those small areas mentioned. We do aim for excellence in every aspect! We look forward to hearing about your future trip to Sandals Emerald Bay! Be prepared for yet another awesome vacation! :)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked our wedding at the Royal Bahamian. It was our first ever trip to a Sandals. We had a wonderful time, and all the staff was great. Our wedding planner (Carla) was just the best. She was right there for whatever we wanted, or needed. The "party pool" was the most fun. It was non-stop all day, from water arobics, to the dj's showing you dance moves. The restaurants were great. The food was wonderful. At night time there was a different theme every night. From the piano bar sing alongs to the late night club, there was something for everyone.We met so many nice people from all over and had fun just like it was a family gathering. Definitely will be back there...

Room Tip: We stayed in the Royal Honeymoon Suite. We haven't slept that good in a long time. The bed and p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Congratulations to you both! Thank you so much for choosing Sandals Royal Bahamian as your wedding destination and we are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations! We will let Carla and the other staff members know how satisfied you were with their hard work. It really is a pleasure to be of service to our guests and to receive such high remarks from them is so rewarding! We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I visited Sandals Royal Bahamas in June 2013 to celebrate our 1st year anniversary and they went over and beyond to make the occasion special. My husband called ahead to make a private reservation for dinner on the beach to surprise me and he and the staff did a great job hiding it from me, the even sent a special gift to us that night at dinner. We wanted reservations at Baccarat (definitely go to this restaurant it is 5 star), but they were booked so we got a free upgrade to go to Gordon’s on the Pier, the food was superb! The service was quick and efficient. We ate as much as we wanted and order doubles of crab legs which they open for you, all you have to do is pull out the meat. We did go to Baccarat for breakfast and dinner and it was delicious! If you don’t have butler services go the private island early because all the seats get taking up by those who do, which was a little annoying. The food on the private island was good, just again order multiples, try things out so that you find the thing you like most! They had entertainment which was nice. There was a party one night, and smores and jazz another night with other chocolate delicacies. What I like the most is that there are no children allowed and it was not crowed at all. So there were no lines to get drinks, or food by the pool, or by the watersports. Snorkeling was beautiful, do try it! Shout out to our servers Niques, and Noble! We will be returning next year to another sandals location because we booked it while were there to get the best rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husaband and I went for our honeymoon and it was perfect, we could not have asked for anything more!! Everything was outstanding. The staff there knows how to take care of the guests and has great customer service skills. We will definitely be returning as well as trying out more Sandals locations.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Sarah B
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are happy your honeymoon was as special as it possibly could be and hearing that we played a role in this is most exciting! Sandals is happy to provide our guests with everything needed to have a luxury-filled romantic getaway. Love is all you need when staying at one of our resorts. We encourage you to explore all of our exotic locations and welcome you to come back soon!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Having cruised to Nassau Bahamas several times, I wanted to experience something different on the island. The Royal Caribbean cruise ship was in port from 12-11 pm and I've already experienced Atlantis and Fish Fry countless times. So I purchased a day pass and visited Sandals Royal Bahamian.

The pools are beautiful, Jacuzzi was warm and food included authentic Bahamian cuisine like conch chowder. What's more, the swim up bar staff were not only warm, but highly entertaining.

Many guests took the liberty of experimenting with various frozen concoctions. And why not, it's all inclusive and the drinks flow freely. Their signature drinks, the Bahama Papa and Hummingbird-- in addition to the Miami Vice, Dirty Banana and the can't-go-wrong pina coladas and daiquiris-- were served up with great service and smiles.

There's nothing quite like passing the day in the pool on one of the iconic Sandals floats or taking a siesta on one of the lounge chairs under an umbrella after the generous libations. No need to bring a towel either, they're readily available.

If you prefer the ocean, you're just steps away from the beach and water sports like canoeing. Plus, there's an offshore island you can ferry over to that runs each hour.

At nighttime there's music under the stars by the fire pit. Choose from one of the six onsite restaurants that include Italian, French and Japanese cuisine. I especially enjoyed the casual fare at Spices when I arrived and the steak, veal and signature limencello martini at Casonova's for dinner. While some require a reservation (Baccarat), others operate on a first come, first served basis. Just be sure to observe the resort casual dress code.

Best of all you can get there for just $1.25 on public transit by taking the number 10 bus (ask for directions at the port's information desk), otherwise you'll pay $25 for a cab which you'll have to take if you're there after 7 pm when public transit stops.

Spending the day at Royal Bahamian felt like I added a day overall. Well worth the price, I look forward to returning there again to visit Chef Tommy at Baccarat as I expand my travel and food writing exploits.

Zoe Breedlove
Itinerant traveler, writer and cinephile
Twittter: @zoebreedlove

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Zoe B
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I just returned from an award-winning vacation at the Royal Bahamian Sandals to celebrate 18 years together. We stayed in the Windsor Tower. To set the stage, let me start by saying there are three main areas of the resort. quiet, casual and let's party.

Starting with the most quiet and out-of-the-way, the bungalows are very quaint and provide lots of special pampering, if you're into that and desire to spend the money. Based on the conversations I had with the great couples we met there (by the way, the whole place is a 'couples paradise'. If you're single, look elsewhere or you'll be bored to tears), it is well worth it. A step up from there is the Balmoral tower pool. This is called the 'quiet pool', and I'll explain that in a minute. The guests who hand around the quiet pool are our age and up, mostly. It's very relaxing and the pictures on the website don't lie. Then there is what I am calling the Fountain of Youth - the Windsor pool. This was our Fountain of Youth. Everyone at this pool was absolutely young and beautiful, including folks our age who drank from the fountain and became young again. There was a DJ, activities and a never-ending fun-in-the-sun attitude that roars up from the depths of the turquoise blue water, grabs you by the morals and inhibitions, shakes you out of your drab boring life, and brings you into a place of pure fun!

I want to first dispel any of the sour reviews that might have been written on this resort. I have stayed at many all-inclusive Caribbean hotels and cruised with the best (Disney, frankly is the best), and if anyone didn't have the time of their life here, it was of their own doing. If anyone found anything wrong with the service, or the food or the amenities, it would have been an anomaly, and they should have spoken-up because it would have been corrected immediately.

Next, I want to give appropriate credits:

The "Playmakers": Their job is to bring people together by creating fun for all. They are catalysts, they seek out boredom and quiet and turn it into excitement and hilarity making the best of everything. They sing, dance, entertain, cause friendships to bloom, love to happen and laughter like nothing I've heard in a long time. Bullet, Linden, Theo and Jason. My Lord, you guys really did a fantastic, bang-up job. Kudos to whomever was part of the decision to bring these guys on board, and whatever it is they're getting paid, it's not enough. I missed you guys at the Reggae party on my last night. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you again.

The Servers and Restauranteurs - Ladies and Gentlemen, we don't know if we can ever eat again. You've caused our scales to tip THANK YOU! Special thanks to Tanisha and Renee from Spices and Stew Fish, and Adricks and his Manager at Baccarat - You, my good man, are a true professional. I'll never see espresso the same way :-)

Watersports: - Captain Sony and Captain Ian from the Island Shuttle and snorkeling boat will put you on the right side of the dock, the top side of the fish and they will keep you safe. Experienced, polite, friendly and seaworthy these men are, and they deserve a special thanks for a couple of great snorkeling trips. I don't often dive for anchors, but when duty calls, we answer. Good times!

The photographers - professional and kind. You don't like the pictures? Don't buy them - its' that simple, just smile for the camera! When you get to the photo booth, they will work with you to give you soemthing special to bring home at a fair price.

There is so much more that I can say about this place, but the most important is that I will be coming back. If anyone has any specific questions about it, please feel free to email me directly at jayzuena@yahoo.com.

Party-On!

Room Tip: Rooms on the northwest corner of Winsor offer a great view of the sunset.
5  Thank Jason Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection