“Fire alarms, fantastic service and a burning table” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Louisville, Kentucky
“Fire alarms, fantastic service and a burning table”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from the Sandals Royal Bahamian. We have previously visited two other Sandals properties in Jamaica - The Grand Riviera and Whitehouse. The Royal Bahamian was kind of our bucket list property for Sandals because it is more pricey and looked really, really nice.

My overall review is that the property is good, but not great. There was outstanding service provided by members of the Sandals team. Notably Lance and Aaron at the Windsor Pool Bar. They were fantastic!

The Good:

*The beaches on both the main property and the off-shore island are fantastic! They are beautiful, well-kept and the water is crystal clear - just as advertised.

*The Windsor pool, where we spent most of our time, is wonderful. The bartenders are great and the Playmakers have a good time, but are not too intrusive. The music, especially on the 4th of July, was upbeat and fun. They really created a good party. If you are looking for a quiet pool, go to the one near the Balamore Tower.

*The food at Casanova, Crystal Room and Baccarat was great. My wife especially liked the egg plant parm at Casanova. The only downfall to Baccarat is that we ate dinner with another couple and it took over 2 hours. Yeah, we didn't have anything else to do, but it was still kind of a long dinner. Breakfast at either Spices or Casanova is great.

*The fire pits are perfect. Nice way to end the day with a cocktail and live music next to the fire. Good stuff.

The Bad:

*Sandals promotes getting the Sandals VISA everywhere. We have the card. My wife and I had saved up 125,000 points and cashed them in for 3 free nights on this vacation (we purchased an extra 4 nights). OK, here's where it gets complicated. The 3 free nights have to be on a separate booking from the 4 paid nights. What this meant is that everyone at Sandals thought we were checking out on July 3 rather than July 6. So on the morning of July 3 the baggage guy was knocking on our door at 6 am asking for our bags. The maid is banging on our door at 8:00 wanting to clean our room because we are supposed to be gone. The front desk is confused and finally gets it cleared up. Just frustrating that the can't have a more efficient system.

*The SCUBA diving is meh. You have to be there at 8am and leave at 8:30 for two dives. That means you are gone until around noon. Not to be overly negative, but the dive shop kind of makes you feel like you are inconveniencing them by wanting to dive, if that makes sense. There's no sense of enthusiasm from the staff.

*We booked an Concierge Oceanview Room in the Windsor Tower. It was nice enough, but on our last night there the fire alarm started beeping (like the battery was dying) at 3am. We couldn't get it to stop, so it ended up keeping us awake the rest of the night. The whole Windsor Tower lost power at 7:30am that next day. On top of that, our phone just stopped working. We had two service folks out to fix it so we could call home. They fixed it, but it died again on the morning of our departure, which meant we didn't get a wake up call. We were up from the fire alarm beeping, so it was no big deal.

*On Friday nights they do a beach party on the offshore island. One of the acts includes the
Playmakers spinning fire balls. Well, they asked a guest to do it. Then told her to dip the ball into a tub of lighter fluid; but here's the problem - the ball was still on fire. It caught the tub of fluid on fire, the playmaker tipped it over onto a table right next to them, and the table caught on fire. Thank God there wasn't a guest sitting at the table. Most of the guests were just looking at each other with a WTF expression on their faces. The fire was put out and everyone was safe.

Overall:

Look, this is a great resort. I just don't think it's worth the extra money to go here. Go to Whitehouse or Grand Riviera, save some money, and have just as good of an experience. The few negative comments above were written because I know Sandals reads this site. The grounds are immaculate, the gym has great equipment, the food is really good, the fireworks on 4th of July were a nice touch, and the staff was very, very nice (most really try hard to do whatever it takes to please you).

I'll just make one note as well about the Soon Come Back program. Damien tried is level best to get us to sign up for another trip. He said his offer was better than anything else on the internet. All I will say is that when I got home and looked up the same room during the same time period that he priced for us, I could get a better deal going through Sandals.com and applying my points (It was the Great House Oceanview at Grand Riviera. With air credit and Sandals Select, the price was around $2100 on-line. Through Damien it was $2400.). Just sayin' that if they want people to sign up at the resort, make it worth their while. Take an extra $500 off to really give us a good deal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kysandalsfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,949)
  • Polish first
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just got home from another great Sandals resort! We stayed in a concierge room with beautiful ocean view balcony. On our first night, Rashad from the conceirge group delivered a spectacular dinner to our balcony! We couldn't get into the restaurant because we didn't make reservations prior to arrival...but Rashad took our order and delivered everything!!! Also, special thanks to Deon and Jospeh...the two chefs made us fish and chips for lunch after we returned from shopping in town...special because the pub was closed and they weren't opening for hours!! They set us up a special table and made us lunch anyway.

Very easy to get around town for shopping. We also felt safe while off the resort. Added bonus that this resort is a short ride from the airport!

Private island was wonderful and both beaches felt very uncrowded, we could all spread out between pools, resort beach and island. We spotted sea turtles right off the beach and my husband snorkeled with them, what a treat.

All food was delicious and all staff was very accomodating and attentintive! They made us feel very welcome and very special. We didn't think anyone could beat the Royal Plantation staff in Jamaica, but this resort might have done it! See you next year, Dexter and Marla

3 Thank marlab1
Suffolk, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights here in early July. We had honeymooned at this resort 10 years ago and have also visited Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Grande Riveria in Ocho Rios. We chose to return to Nassau as it is a quick flight from our part of the country, a quick 10 minute ride from the airport to the resort and therefore we felt we could really minimize travel time to maximize vacation time. We are so glad we chose to return as they have made some really nice updates and our expectations were exceeded.

I must start by saying that one main reason our stay was so wonderful is that we used a travel agent for the first time: Lindsey Hoffman of Ultra Tech Travel (717-932-8172). I, like many others, wrongly assumed in the past that I must pay a travel agent to book a trip for me when I could book it online for free. Travel agents get paid by the resorts and airlines. So if I book a trip online, the resort keeps the commission. If Lindsey books the trip for me, the resort pays her the commission. She booked the trip for me at the same price I would have paid if booking on my own, yet she provided valuable assistance to make this a better vacation. Based upon her close professional relationship with Sandals Management and experience with the various properties, she helped me choose accommodations based upon my wishes, what I did need, more importantly what I didn't need, etc. She advised me on a number of options and one week before my stay, she forwarded a letter to Sandals Management in the Bahamas, citing my preferences and asking for a complimentary room upgrade. She told me, in no uncertain terms, that an upgrade could not be guaranteed. However, we did receive a compimentary upgrade to Concierge and that had never happened before when I booked the trip on my own. I do not think it was a coincidence. She also communicated with the staff to make dinner reservations for us and threw in a few other nice little touches. I highly recommend her and will contact her for all of my future travel needs.
(I receive nothing by recommending her. I am a business owner who appreciates good customer service and like to commend those who provide it.)

The beaches are absolutely beautiful. The private offshore island is a nice escape for those who want a more secluded, smaller resort feel or for those who like long walks on the beach. If you want to score a cabana, head over on the first morning ferry, 10:00, for a better chance at finding one.

The restaurants are outstanding and my husband and I agree that the food here is superb to the other Sandals we have visited. As everyone states, be aware of the dress code and make your reservations upon arrival, otherwise you might miss out on some of the better options. We found the buffet lunches at Spices and Casanova to be superior to Royal Cafe and Stewfish for lunch, based upon quality and number of options. The breakfast buffets were also very good with many choices.

Service was very attentive, professional and friendly. Housekeeping was prompt and provided extra bottles of water when requested. We enjoyed the evening entertainment such as the outdoor live music by the fire pits and the sing along piano bar. I believe they also have late night dancing and karaoke, but we never stayed up late enough to participate.

We have never tried the Butler service as we personally don't feel as if we need it, but it is a nice option for those who don't mind paying for it and want the extra attention.

All in all, it is a lovely resort and we would definitely return!

Room Tip: Do your research and consider using a travel agent to choose the right accommodations for you. We kn...
4 Thank SaraSuffolk
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We are big fans of Sandals resorts. We stayed in the new Balmoral tower in a ocean view room non- concerige so no balcony. Beautiful views of the ocean, beds were amazing! Room service could have been faster. My only other real complaint is more casual evening options for dinner. Most of the dining was by reservation and more formal.

Room Tip: The Balmoral tower is the newest and most up to date rooms with beautiful views of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Becca D
Kiln, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I experienced this Sandals Resort for one week. It was the first time in 12 years that we had a vacation together (without our children). The week at Sandals was the best vacation we had ever had. The hospitality of the staff was remarkable, the food was amazing, the sights were everlasting and the service of our new friends, the Butler Program, was the best. Ms. Yorlet, Ms. Melissa and Mr. Gemayl were there for our every need and question. My husband and I will most definitely return to Sandals in Nassau, Bahamas.

Room Tip: When booking, make sure to get a room with butler service. The butler program is a wonderful thing t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amberley L
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed at the Sandals Royal Bahamian resort for 4 nights from 06/30 to 07/04 and it was a truly unforgettable memory. The hospitality of the folks at SRB was outstanding and their warm smile was so welcoming! We booked the "Kensington Luxury Beachfront Concierge" room and the views are AWESOME!

If this room is within your budget I would highly recommend this for the views it offers right from your balcony. The room came with a bar that is stocked with all kinds of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks including champagne. They restock the bar everyday based on the consumption. The resort has multiple restaurants of which we found "BACCARAT" to be the best and "CASANOVA" to be the worst! I regret not trying the "Stew Fish" restaurant for dinner (needs reservations). That would have been a great experience as this restaurant is located in the off-shore island owned by Sandals!

Every restaurant we tried other than "CASANOVA" had good food and drinks. There are pool side parties going on in the afternoons & evenings and late night shows in the "Royal Theater". Definitely recommend trying the pizza for lunch as they were reaaaallly gooood!

Our only bad experience in the resort was during the introductory course to scuba diving but the dive manager "Reggie" and the concierge manager "Angela" apologized for the bad experience & refunded the money we paid, which was very gracious of them. All in all would highly recommend Sandals and cant wait to get back here. Special thanks to "Prashanth" a butler in the resort who made our stay even more special.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are the best and make reservations to the restaurants as soon as you check-in.
Spiro, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a perfect Resort. The location was amazing. The food was great. Great service. Many activities. The beach party at night was so fun. Couldn't ask for a better vacation. The private island was so relaxing. The staff was very helpful and tried every way to please us. The pools and ocean was perfect. Great Resort can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank johnsonfamily00
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We're so happy you had an amazing vacation with us. We always strive to offer relaxing and romantic vacations to our guests and I'm so glad we were able to meet that goal during your stay.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Cassie C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection