My wife and I just returned from the Sandals Royal Bahamian. We have previously visited two other Sandals properties in Jamaica - The Grand Riviera and Whitehouse. The Royal Bahamian was kind of our bucket list property for Sandals because it is more pricey and looked really, really nice.
My overall review is that the property is good, but not great. There was outstanding service provided by members of the Sandals team. Notably Lance and Aaron at the Windsor Pool Bar. They were fantastic!
*The beaches on both the main property and the off-shore island are fantastic! They are beautiful, well-kept and the water is crystal clear - just as advertised.
*The Windsor pool, where we spent most of our time, is wonderful. The bartenders are great and the Playmakers have a good time, but are not too intrusive. The music, especially on the 4th of July, was upbeat and fun. They really created a good party. If you are looking for a quiet pool, go to the one near the Balamore Tower.
*The food at Casanova, Crystal Room and Baccarat was great. My wife especially liked the egg plant parm at Casanova. The only downfall to Baccarat is that we ate dinner with another couple and it took over 2 hours. Yeah, we didn't have anything else to do, but it was still kind of a long dinner. Breakfast at either Spices or Casanova is great.
*The fire pits are perfect. Nice way to end the day with a cocktail and live music next to the fire. Good stuff.
*Sandals promotes getting the Sandals VISA everywhere. We have the card. My wife and I had saved up 125,000 points and cashed them in for 3 free nights on this vacation (we purchased an extra 4 nights). OK, here's where it gets complicated. The 3 free nights have to be on a separate booking from the 4 paid nights. What this meant is that everyone at Sandals thought we were checking out on July 3 rather than July 6. So on the morning of July 3 the baggage guy was knocking on our door at 6 am asking for our bags. The maid is banging on our door at 8:00 wanting to clean our room because we are supposed to be gone. The front desk is confused and finally gets it cleared up. Just frustrating that the can't have a more efficient system.
*The SCUBA diving is meh. You have to be there at 8am and leave at 8:30 for two dives. That means you are gone until around noon. Not to be overly negative, but the dive shop kind of makes you feel like you are inconveniencing them by wanting to dive, if that makes sense. There's no sense of enthusiasm from the staff.
*We booked an Concierge Oceanview Room in the Windsor Tower. It was nice enough, but on our last night there the fire alarm started beeping (like the battery was dying) at 3am. We couldn't get it to stop, so it ended up keeping us awake the rest of the night. The whole Windsor Tower lost power at 7:30am that next day. On top of that, our phone just stopped working. We had two service folks out to fix it so we could call home. They fixed it, but it died again on the morning of our departure, which meant we didn't get a wake up call. We were up from the fire alarm beeping, so it was no big deal.
*On Friday nights they do a beach party on the offshore island. One of the acts includes the
Playmakers spinning fire balls. Well, they asked a guest to do it. Then told her to dip the ball into a tub of lighter fluid; but here's the problem - the ball was still on fire. It caught the tub of fluid on fire, the playmaker tipped it over onto a table right next to them, and the table caught on fire. Thank God there wasn't a guest sitting at the table. Most of the guests were just looking at each other with a WTF expression on their faces. The fire was put out and everyone was safe.
Look, this is a great resort. I just don't think it's worth the extra money to go here. Go to Whitehouse or Grand Riviera, save some money, and have just as good of an experience. The few negative comments above were written because I know Sandals reads this site. The grounds are immaculate, the gym has great equipment, the food is really good, the fireworks on 4th of July were a nice touch, and the staff was very, very nice (most really try hard to do whatever it takes to please you).
I'll just make one note as well about the Soon Come Back program. Damien tried is level best to get us to sign up for another trip. He said his offer was better than anything else on the internet. All I will say is that when I got home and looked up the same room during the same time period that he priced for us, I could get a better deal going through Sandals.com and applying my points (It was the Great House Oceanview at Grand Riviera. With air credit and Sandals Select, the price was around $2100 on-line. Through Damien it was $2400.). Just sayin' that if they want people to sign up at the resort, make it worth their while. Take an extra $500 off to really give us a good deal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •New, extra comfortable, ultra luxurious Day Beds added poolside on Sandals Cay •Sandals Cay now has Zen Spa and Fire Pits.-----•Butler Service, 24-Hour Room Service, and Rolls Royce or Mercedes Transfers for select suite categories. •Over 10,000 sq. ft. of the Island’s most impressive Freshwater Pools•Sandals Cay – Nassau’s only resort with Private Offshore Island & Restaurant.•Ten Dining Options featuring an array of cuisine from French to Bahamian. •Minutes away from excellent duty free shopping in Downtown Nassau on Bay Street and world class gambling on Paradise Island.•Weekly Late night decadent Chocolate Buffet offering specialty coffee •Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row. •Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. •Voted Sandals Royal Bahamian “Bahamas’ Leading Spa Resort”. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Hotel Nassau
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort And Offshore Island
- Sandals Bahamas
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Cable Beach
- Sandals Bahamian
- Sandal Resort Bahamas
- Sandal Royal Bahamian
- Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island Bahamas/Nassau