“Sandals Royal Bahamian”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This resort is fabulous. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. Resort is immaculately clean. A variety of food & dinner options. All of which is fantastic. Accommodations are above expectations. Overall one of the best resorts we have been to. I would recommend this resort highly.

Room Tip: Higher room have a better view.
3  Thank Delphine B
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Bahamian. We're glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. It was truly an honor to have you and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We decided to celebrate our 50th anniversary at Sandals believing the beautiful ads.....NOT. Yes the place is beautiful, and the staff was friendly, but the food and drinks were terrible. Whoever the chef is, he needs to go. Too much salt, no flavor, and steak as tough as shoe leather. The drinks were all sugared water. You also had to have reservations for dinner in the other restaurants, which was a pain, if you did not make reservations between 9 and 5, Too Bad, you are out of luck., Imagine eating shepherds pie in the Pub for my anniversary!!! Actually the best meals were breakfast, cant go wrong with eggs. We saved for this and looked forward to making it memorable,we came home feeling so let down.

7  Thank ruby l

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is truly disappointing to know that you had this experience at our resort. We always want to ensure that we’re offering amazing experiences for Two People in Love but it seems we were unable to achieve this goal during your stay. Please accept our apologies.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

We do hope that you give us a chance to redeem ourselves during a future stay. We would love the chance to host you at one of our resorts and offer the true Sandals luxury experience for which we are known.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My SO and I stayed at this resort at the end of April. It was my first Sandals experience, and I must say, going back to regular all-inclusive will be difficult. We had a great time; this property and customer service exceeded my expectations. I think that "expectations" are relative to your prior travel experiences, so my review is based on the bar that was set from reading reviews here, feedback from clients I have sent there, and what I have come to expect of the Sandals brand.

We arrived, got our luggage, cleared customs and immigration and found the Sandals desk very easily. We were directed to a van type of bus that was transporting other Sandals guests. We didn't have to wait long and it was a quick ride. We did tip the porter and the driver, as they are not Sandals employees. We were greeted with towels and champagne as our group was checked in. We had booked the least expensive room but found out we were upgraded to the Windsor building with the concierge service. That was a nice surprise. Our room was spacious and had great amenities and toiletries and a fully stocked bar. The balcony faced the italian restaurant which was a bummer, but we wouldn't have had a balcony in the room we booked so I wasn't about to complain!

It was our mission to try to eat at every restaurant. The only one we didn't eat at was Casanova, the Italian restaurant. Well, we did eat there, but for breakfast. We were lucky that the concierge was able to get us dinner reservations at Kimonos, Baccarat and Stewfish. We also ate at Cricketer's Pub, the Pizza place, all the buffets, the Royal Cafe. Everything was very good. I am not a foodie, but this was good food. I am not sure what people are complaining about! I think my worst experience at a restaurant was not the food, but where we were sitting. We had the very first table closest to the door at Baccarat. There was a lot of foot traffic past us and when the door opened and closed, it created a cold breeze. Try to not sit there if possible. The window is nice but not worth the chill! The other thing that was a bit off-putting (to me) was the boat ride to the island in the dark. The captain did nothing wrong, I have just seen too many scary, disaster movies! But dinner was worth it there too!

There is a loud pool and a quiet pool. We arrived on a Saturday and the loud pool was a rockin'! It was a little too loud for us, so we hung on the beach and then the quiet pool. This was the only day it seemed to be really rowdy. The ocean was rough for several days so there was no real swimming for me, which was a bummer. We did not use any water sports. And the pool was cold!! There were servers taking drink orders at both the pool and on the beach which was a nice surprise.

I thought the customer service level was exceptional. I don't really know what other reviewers' expectations are to comment that it was not good. I found everyone to be helpful and friendly. Housekeeping was great, room was cleaned just about the same time every day.

The firepits around the property were very nice and romantic. There was some evening entertainment - one night, there was a sax player in the courtyard. We left the balcony door opened and listened while we napped. It was very nice.

The ferry wasn't running to the island the first few days because of rough water. They made arrangements to take a boat over from another port. Luckily it did run the last few days so we got over there. It was beautiful and not too crowded. We didn't have any spa services, but it looked like it would be pretty awesome to have a massage there.

I found most of the tropical drinks were too sweet for me so I was drinking spiced rum and diet coke. I didn't want to waste the calories on juice! We did find that if a drink was on the weaker side, all you had to do was ask the bartender to top it off with a little more rum. A few reviews mentioned common areas smelling like vomit. I did notice some funky smells in different areas but I think it was a combination of paint, heat, cleaning smells. The grounds were kept very nicely and honestly, nothing looked that "dated". The gift shop had a variety of supplies and souvenirs. Based on what I saw at the airport, the prices were fair. Checkout was simple and instructions were left about what time to leave our luggage out for the porter to pick up and what time to get our shuttle.

We really enjoyed all aspects of this resort. Again, not having other Sandals properties to compare it to, I can't say how it stacks up against the others. But it has everything you could possibly want in a tropical paradise.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank gemi3886
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just arrived home from our Honeymoon and I think I cried when I was leaving our room. We splurged and got a butler level room after I found a great coupon for 65% off. Origionally we booked a garden honeymoon suite, but once we arrived to the property after being picked up at the airport in a beautiful Merceedes-Benz S-Class, we were informed that we were being upgraded. Once brought to our new room, I discovered it was their top room!!!! Not that we spent any time in the room, but it was amazing and included a living/dining room, fully stocked mini-bar, and spectacular bathroom with a massive tub! Our Butlers, Levi & Orlando were instrumental in making our honeymoon as perfect as it was. They made reservations in every restuarant before we got there, reserved us beach cabanas, chairs, and activities, and left us a present and really nice card every night, not to mention waiting on us hand and foot!. They were down to earth and genuinelly seemed content to do their jobs. They were extremely helpful when we decided to go to downtown Nassau. We find ourselves missing them and the staff because of the friendliness and competence. We did not meet one unfriendly or unhelpful staff member during our stay. We loved the activies we were offered. During the day the watersports were fun and plentiful as well as the organized games and fun at the Windsor pool. At night, we dined at delicious restaurants (Cassanova and Gordon's were our favorites), listened to amazing performers outdoors under the stars, and enjoyed the shows offered. I find it hard to believe anyone could be bored or disapointed. There were hammocks and romantic hideaways everywhere, the firepits were cozy at night, and plenty of people to socialize with. I do agree that the "nightclub" was sparce at night, but it was because the piano bar was always entertaining, billard tables, etc, always full, and the pub always crawling with tons of people playing games, watching sports, and mingling. We were lucky enough to have our butlers book us a couples massage right on the beach at the offshore island. The ferry goes out many times per day and we had a blast on the little island. We had a hidden private cabana, lunch consisting of amazing local delicacies, and unbelievable snorkling! We also had a photo shoot while we were at the resort on the beach, pier, and garden! It was a great touch since we took a ton of pics but weren't always able to get ones of the two of us. We were so impressed with the hospitiality, cleanliness, luxury, and food/drink, we booked another vacation there before we even left! We are going back a year from now to renew our vows and plan on doing it every year! Before we went on this trip, my husband and I decided that if we liked it, we would try every Sandals resort, but at this point we just want to go back there! I have told everyone I have talked to since our return to go, even just for a few days and will continue to recommend it to everyone I speak to. And despite the price you pay to go (don't forget the price includes airline tickets and by themselves are ridiculously priced nowadays) is worth every penny. I urge everyone to splurge and get the butler level rooms because the experience alone shows you what a true vacation is. I specifically requested Levi & Orlando for our next vacation, if they are available & I suggest everyone do the same. Their level of service is unfounded and I have already written Sandals Corporate asking to give them special recognition. Thank you Sandals for making a blue collar couple from Boston feel like a million bucks!

8  Thank Jenn P

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We're so thrilled to read that you and your husband had such an amazing stay at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We always strive to create memorable vacations for two people in love and I'm so happy that we were able to achieve that goal during your visit. I will be sure to forward your review to our staff. They will be so proud to hear of your kind mention.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another incredible experience!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

before I write this review I would like you all to know that we are a funloving middleclass couple in our 40's.

Food - The Omelette station for breakfast and the French restaurant were both very good. But thats about it. They make it seem like you have so many dining options on their website and advertisements....but really, its not much. Italian place was terrible. Also, you need reservations for most of the restaurants and they WILL turn you down if you don't have one... even if they have room for you. Pizza place was blah..it had a matzoh-like crust. Also there is NOTHING TO EAT ANYWHERE on the resort after 10pm until morning. Your on your own.

Activities/Nightlife..very few to none. Nightlife was a JOKE!! nothing to do at all. The "dance club" was always lifeless and depressing. This with the resort being at 85% occupancy. And The bars always smelt like vomit.

Private Island - Its ok but nothing like they advertised or what I expected. lifeless and boring. Very little to do.

Pool - Two big pools. Both of nice size. One was always freezing and the other was warm BUT had an oil slick/vomit patch in it for the duration of our stay. 5 Days. Unbelievable!

Beach - Tiny with pesky peddlers. Another Fail

Sorry Sandals....I really wanted to like you....THANK GOD ATLANTIS SAVED THE LAST HALF OF OUR TRIP.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Filomena D

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

Just to clarify, the Cricketer's Pub is open daily and serves food until 2AM. We apologize if this was not communicated to you but we want our future guests to know that we do have dining options available until 2AM on resort.

We offer evening and nightly entertainment 7 days a week, usually shows performed by our Playmakers and local performers. At times, many couples prefer to enjoy their nights in their rooms nonetheless, the dance club is still open every night with a live DJ playing dance music until the last guests leave.

We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and amazing experiences offered, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay, and for that we are truly sorry. We have followed up with our team, especially Maintenance, regarding your comments about the pool area. That issue has since been fixed and we thank you for bringing it to our attention – it helps us to get better.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I would like to add to my husband's previous review (Baton Rouge, LA).

Cons: We stayed at the Windsor just across from the Casanova. I was very surprised that there was a dirty buildup in the corners and up the walls of the outdoor eating areas. I also noticed that the grout in the bathroom floor was very dirty (you could see the clean grout in the closet and areas that had not been walked on.)

The water was not hot enough for a relaxing bath during the early afternoon when most are bathing to go out at night. We called room service and the maintenance man came right away, but there was little he could do since the water is heated in one huge system for the entire building.

The air conditioner leaked from the ceiling right in the bathroom doorway, but I didn't bother to report it since it was not worth being inconvenienced by the maintenance people. We did have to request clean towels and face cloths several times.

There were straws and cups in the flower bed the morning after a wedding and dirty towels and glasses on the island beach first thing in the a.m. - obviously left from the previous day. They were not picked up until early afternoon. Someone came by only once the entire day to ask if we needed anything.

The activity pool had a thick film of sunscreen and bugs one night, but otherwise was kept clean.

I've been accused of being a neat freak and extremely observant, but these things just jumped out at me instantly.

While dining at the Casanova, I was very frustrated watching people turned away or given beepers to wait to be seated, when I could see 6 - 8 available tables just from where I was seated. When we asked our waiter why that was happening, he gave a rambling nonsensical explanation. This distracted me for the entire meal.

Kimonos needs a major facelift. It seemed old and rundown, not to mention the cockroach on the sushi bar.

Pros: The breakfast buffet at the Casanova was phenomenal! The variety and presentation was the best I've ever seen and I've been on several RC cruises. The Blue Mountain coffee is wonderful - just wish it wasn't so expensive to order online!!

The Baccarat was a wondeful fine dining experience, with the exception of the waiter's breath.

The employees were always friendly and greeted us with a smile and comment. The concierge was always pleasant and helpful.

If you just want to relax and take it easy for a few days, this place is great for that. The few activities & entertainment they offer are minimal at best.

This was my second all-inclusive vacation and will definitely go again in the future, just NOT to this resort. I feel the overall rating automatically calculated by this questionnaire is misleading.

2  Thank ngcBatonRouge
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

We're happy to read that your stay, overall, was very enjoyable. However, we always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards during your stay, and for that we are truly sorry. We will follow up with our team and our General Manager to ensure that the necessary steps are taken to prevent a repeat of your experience. You may call it being a "neat-freak" but we are so grateful for you bringing these matters to our attention – it helps us to get better.

Thank you for your review. We hope to get a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Trip advisor review

This is our first time at a sandals resort, which we booked for our honeymoon, travelled on Tuesday 1st May from edinburgh - heathrow - nassau.

We booked a Royal Village Deluxe Room, which is the most basic room available at the Royal Bahamian. When we arrived you really are treated like royalty, welcomed with a refreshing warm wet towel to refresh your face, taken into the really grand reception area, greeted with champagne and checked in to your room. We were then checked in and shown to our room. On arrival to our room which was a small house split into 5 rooms in the gardens of the property, we were quite disappointed.

The room was quite small, although did have a kingside bed, 32 inch LCD tv, iPod dock, safe, mini bar (beers, cokes and waters) 2 windows and a small bathroom. We had been in the room for 3 minutes when my wife noticed the bathroom was quite dated and the bath was all stained from what appeared to be a rusty overflow drain. We then discovered the toilet was broken.
Having paid over £5500 for our honeymoon and most important holiday together, we were extremely disappointed.

We headed back to reception, and were again greeted by the same receptionist. We explained we were quite disappointed with the room, and we're asked to take a seat. Within 2 minutes we had been upgraded to a new room. The resort has 3 main locations for rooms, the village/garden area which is made up of small houses split into rooms or suites in a quiet garden environment, the Windsor block which is basically your normal style hotel block with 6 floors in it and it's own concierge reception area and the newly renovated balmoral block with again is on 5/6 floors.

We were upgraded to a Royal Windsor oceanview suite located on the third floor of the windsor building. The upgrade gave us a bigger much nicer and much better room, complete with dressing room, bathroom, and a large bedroom/suite area that had a king size bed, desk, sofa with footstool, table and chairs for in room dining, and a balcony with table and chairs......and a great view of the ocean. The room also had the same 32 inch LCD tv, stocked mini bar, with spirits as well (gin, rum, wine, whisky, champagne) iPod dock stereo, safe...all in all a much better room, and one that felt like it was worth the money we had paid.Once that was sorted we were really happy.

The resort offers the best choice of food I have ever seen at a resort. Having only done all inclusive in Europe before, the sandals offering is excellent. The Royal Bahamian offers:

Baccarat - al a carte French restaurant (which you need to book for and wear evening attire (trousers and a collared shirt for men)
Crystal Room - al a carte fine dining option, again evening attire
Kimonos - Japanese hibachi bar, where your food is cooked in front of you, booking required.
Spices - all you can eat style buffet option (Mediterranean style)
Cafe goombay - which again requires a booking, and is located over on the offshore island so a short boat trip is required, mainly seafood but some meat options (slight warning, beware of bugs, they can be as hungry as the diners)
Casanova - Italian style al a carte.
The cricketers arms - English style pub.
Gordon's on the pier - which is mainly fish, and unless you are a butler guest it is $140 per couple
extra....we gave this a miss as I don't eat fish

In addition, open at lunch, there is the royal cafe and the pizzeria.

Our favourites.....
At breakfast, was Casanova which offered a brilliant choice of hot and cold food, bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc, or fruit, cereal, etc.
Lunch, a toss up between the pizzeria , royal cafe or cafe Goombay over on the island
Dinner, a toss up between baccarat and kimonos, but the crystal room was great as well.

The food overall was excellent, and how anyone who was reviewed to say it was not up to scratch is beyond me. It really was great.
On a drink point of view, the bars are open pretty much all day from 11am through until 1am generally, but the pub (cricketers) is open until 7am! For the hardcore. Strawberry daiquiri's were a favourite of the mrs! On a beer front they offered local beers (kalik or sands)
Beach and pools....
There are 2 main beaches, one in front of the hotel blocks on the main land, and one at either side of the private offshore island, all 3 are great.
3 main pools, one infront of the Windsor building, this is the busier and so called he noisy pool where games happen in the afternoon, this is a heated pool. there is the quite pool infront of the balmoral building, which is much more relaxed, and is not heated, but still good to cool off in. And there is a smaller pool over on the island. All 3 have excellent swim up bars.

Staff really are excellent, really helpful, extremely polite and it felt really honest, unlike the service you can get in America which often feels fake or put on.

We booked for 14 nights, the one disappointment I had, and it was not a sandals problem. As a golfer I took my golf clubs, only to find that cable beach golf course was closed, so slightly disappointed. However,.......on day 7 of our holiday we found out the the resort was over booked and sandals were asking guests who wee staying for a few weeks, whether they would be interested in going to Sandals Emerald Bay over on Great Exuma.....where there is a golf resort, so cut a long story short, we accepted and and headed over to Great Exuma for the rest of our holiday.

It was like 2 holidays built into one, Emerald Bay was much more relaxed, while we really enjoyed the time at the Royal Bahamian, it was big and busy, whereas Emerald Bay felt much more relaxed, chilled and laid back.
We had an ocean view room in bay house 2 on the 3 rd floor, which gave us a great view of the ocean. One slight observation, we perhaps didn't get the impression we We're as mortar as the guests who were meant to be there, but we loved the resort.
The beach was brilliant, the sea was so clear, and the golf course was excellent.....I managed to get 2 complimentary rounds on the Greg Norman designed course, it was like Pebble Beach at times.

Food options, the Bahama Bay (buffet), Drunken Duck (pub), Parisian (french), el clilo (Italian), Dino (pizzeria) and lastly barefoot on the beach.
Our favourite was the Italian, but that said both the pub and barefoot were great for lunch.
Piano bar was good for drinks and chat at night.

Overall our sandals experience was excellent, a holiday of a lifetime....definitely. Value for money.....it is expensive, but it is luxury included.
Would we recommend it to friends, we already have, and we would love to go again (currently looking at possibly going to jamaica next, to a sandals.

What cold be better, when we moved to Exuma, the service quality wasn't quiet as good as it had been at the Bahamian, but it was still great. We shouldn't have needed to complain to get an upgrade at the Bahamian, it would have been nice to have just got one, and we didn't early get much of an apology, that said the better room made up for it.

Overall if you are looking for. Relaxing all inclusive holiday were luxury is included (with some additional options) Sandals is the place

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank BoardingMuz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection