“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I experienced the wonderful Sandals hospitality in Montego Bay years ago, and had a great time, so my expectations for revisiting a Sandals resort were pretty high. However, when we visited Sandals Royal Bahamian, we were so surprised how little it had in common with its Jamaican relative. Our group was made up of 3 couples. Upon arrival, we were greeted with cool towels and a warm smile, only to be very disappointed as the day progressed. Since check-in is late in the day, only 1 couple could be accommodated with their reserved room. Since we were all excited about vacation in this beautiful island, we tossed the bags in the room, toasted with champagne and proceeded to the beach and pools to begin this wonderful getaway. It was from there where the friendly greetings and atmosphere ended. One of the couples in our party had been given a 'downgraded' room which very much downgraded our enjoyment. The accommodation snafu was finally settled by day 2, however we had begun to see how the 'class system' worked @ Sandals. The ads you see for the resort do not reflect the attitudes you experience. If you are not one of the guests who are staying at the higher priced rooms, believe me when I say it is noticed. You are frequently asked your room number, and I never caught on until about Day 3, but then realized I could not get a dinner reservation, premium bar drinks or service attention because of my room location. I understand that if you are willing to spend much more for accommodations that there are quite a few 'perks' that would come with that cost, however, that shouldn't mean at the expense of the other guests. Maybe a solution would be more waitstaff. Some of staff tried to help as best as they could, but unfortunately, they could not attend to everyone. It seemed the remaining staff had other things more important to do than worry about what we wanted or needed. Housekeeping was so inconsistent, it became a daily joke as to what amenities were not addressed - such as clean towels, clean glasses or the stocked bar which is advertised (we didn't think asking for glasses to enjoy the beverages was too much to request). One evening when we returned to our room @ 11pm, there were no clean towels. The only indication that housekeeping was there; bed was made, but the dirty towels, dirty glasses, used coffeemaker - still there. We had to strongly suggest to the main desk to bring towels that night, only to be met w/apprehension and a promise of new towels first thing in the morning?? As far the first class food and beverages; that must also be a privilege of the 'upgraded' guests, because we certainly did not experience that either. As with housekeeping, the food service and quality was inconsistent and I am being polite. The food quality was worthy of a food court and the service puzzling. On three separate occasions we had our waitstaff address us with the opening "this is my first time in this restaurant and I don't know much about the menu". That should be your first indication you're going to have some issues. Since we were not allowed (sorry, get) reservations for the higher end restaurants, our meal choices were limited and had to go with it. It seemed we caused so many problems for the attendants since they needed to seat 6 of us. No where was that more apparent than at Casanova. Our greeter was very disturbed by our request to sit together, only to be asked to 'step aside' while she seated other guests. We waited about 20 min then reluctantly seated. Many times we were told that our food and beverage order could not be met because they had run out of certain items. By the last evening of our trip, we settled for pub food and a beer (by the way, the beer we ordered on tap - also no longer available). The resort is beautiful; the pools, the beach, the spa...if you don't care about a clean room (if you have one), and bring your own food and beverages - you'll have a great time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Bar1072
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our service and eager staff have been the highlights of many reviews on TripAdvisor but it seems your stay was not indicative of the norm. As I stated in a previous response to one of the guests in your party, this is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right.

We have attempted to contact a member of your party and have gotten no response. I have sent you a private message also. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter.

Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,063)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 11, 2013

my husband an I stayed at the resort for our honeymoon it started off on the wrong foot but we meet some REALLY NICE PEOPLE who made us feel at home Ranelle in the crystal room Gippy F&B Sal in the pub Drinks was great an Noel house keeping who went out of his way to show us around an made US feel special after our talk Donny Water sports manger an Mr Gibson DGS manger thanks a lot hope alto see u again soon

• Stayed February 2013
We're so happy to read that you had such a wonderful honeymoon with us at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We strive to create romantic and memorable experiences for our guests and I'm so glad we were able to achieve that goal during your stay.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed at The Royal Bahamian in February. The positives; a very clean resort and very beautiful place. We had the Butler service and got the exact room we wanted in the Royal Village, ground floor, with a patio, steps away from a mini pool; we loved being here. It’s very quiet and relaxing with beautiful surroundings. There was always staff cleaning and up keeping the resort. There are a few mini pools around the village; one other larger pool and 2 other very large pools (Windsor and Balmoral). Almost all the staff were very friendly although it’s hard to tell if they were all sincere as I am sure it is the rules that they must help and be polite to guests. In saying that even the gardeners or pool boy were very helpful; I have never seen such helpfulness to be honest. They also all seem to be happy people.

The Butler service is a must; it’s very expensive, but all our Butlers were great; Corrie, Raynard, Diane and Yolette; we had a great service from them but didn’t actually contact them that much; I think other guests may use them more. The Cricketers; great British food; the shepherd’s pie was lovely and the hot wings were delicious. The Cabanas are lovely; if you get a shaded one; they are on the beach and island (you need Butler service to book these up as you will have very little chance of getting one without the Butler service).

Beach is lovely, top areas near beach lovely; pizza place, nice, good pizzas; hamburgers and hot dogs nice. Fire pits nice, but couldn’t really get one; other people hogged them and it was a bit noisy at night; I went to one once, but not a good one, a small one and I nearly fell in the pit.

Some Negatives; Most of the food was awful; poor quality, sometimes tough meat, lack of choice in vegetables and potatoes. We went to Gordon’s on the pier on several occasions; first time, quite good, 2nd time, tough steak, inedible, 3rd time the gas canister that they cook on ran out of gas; we had to wait about an hour for our main course but by then we had lost our appetite; also I ordered a starter that I was told was like Caesar salad, all it was, was a plate of lettuce with a tiny bit of mayonnaise! We didn’t pay for this as we had Butler service; if you have to pay it costs a small fortune, so I don’t recommend going there if you have to pay. However, the views are beautiful; the pier is lovely in the evening.

Kimonos; the beef and rice and sauces are nice; the chicken poor quality; a group of you sit around whilst the chef cooks on the hot plate; it can be fun but depends on what the people are like around you.

The Crystal room; basically if you want to talk don’t go there, everyone whispers; a cockroach was on the pure white table cloth; I screamed but no one even spoke or looked except the waiters; even the waiters whisper. I don’t blame the restaurant for this; they can’t get rid of every insect and it’s nothing to do with dirtiness; I just have a phobia; can’t really comment on the food as we never went there after that; but I don’t get why you can’t speak or have to whisper!

Baccarat; had 2 good meals there, fish and a decent steak; my partner enjoyed his duck too; he didn’t like the sea food in most places; said the lobster was terrible; Room service; not great; got the wrong things, once came with no knife; breakfasts; ok, but as usual crappy streaky, hard as rock bacon; hash browns that were not hash browns, just burnt griddled bits of potato; No Brown sauce (HP) lucky I brought my own. Sandals please provide some decent back bacon, HP Brown sauce and tinned tomatoes and Heinz baked beans; it’s what us Brits like!!! And wouldn’t cost you that much!! when I saw they had baked beans I thought great!; when I opened the lid they looked like something the cowboys eat in old westerns; brown and nasty; needless to say we didn’t eat them; the omelettes were good but too much orange coloured cheese and it was like gooh; no taste, not at all strong.

The Island; we were given a cabana totally in the sun (not what we wanted) so we sat in the shade by the pool; steps away was the café place (basic foods); next minute waiters came up and put towels over our shoulders!! We were not sitting there naked; I couldn’t believe it; I was very insulted by this; all they do is basics food; yet its ok for guests to stroll up to Gordon’s on the pier (the supposed poshest place) in grimey jeans or shorts and t shirts; we made an effort to dress up where it was required; we never went back to the island.

Our room was nice but does need some updating; sandals, when guests are low, you should update the villas (but keep the prices the same); they are not luxurious like at say The Balmoral, but still, the only place we would want to stay in.

I think the cricketers should introduce a nice roast dinner to its menu with all the trimmings. I was very disappointed with the quality of the food overall and came back losing 6 pounds in weight. I expected far, far better food from a 5 star resort that costs a fortune.

The day before our departure we waited over 5 hours to contact a Butler; the phone they gave us was rubbish, about a £5 phone; it didn’t work properly; eventually after over 5 hours Dianne turned up, she as very helpful; but this wait was unacceptable.

If you want noise stay at The Windsor; if you want a bit of peace stay at The Balmoral (plus better rooms I think); if you want a lot of relaxation stay at the Royal Village.

I was going to give 4 stars, but I’m giving it 3… mainly because of the food; not good sandals… you need a visit from Gordon Ramsay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank annielovessimon
Hewlett, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Reaching the resort from the airport is easy. The transportation the hotel provided was comfortable, efficient & we did not have a long wait. Upon arrival the resort staff presented us with wet towels and a refreshment which was a nice touch we have experienced at other resorts. Philly and Mrs. Smith helped us with a room upgrade. We stayed in room 423 of the Balmoral Tower. The room decor was warm & appealing to the eye. The room had a sliding door you could step out on but it was not quite a balcony. It provided us with a beautiful view of Nassau, Bahamas pristinely blue water. We could see the offshore island in the distance. The resort itself is laid out very nicely. The benefit of having two large pools was appreciated. We liked hanging out at the "entertainment pool" rather than the "quiet pool". The beach was clean and gorgeous. I have to note that it is only a small stretch of beach. However it totally served its purpose for relaxation & watching the waves crash. The breakfast buffet was decent. They provided you with alot of options however the hot food appeared to sit around a long time. The fruit was all fresh and deliciously sweet. They don't have any issues with you taking food away to your room or the pool etc. I am pregnant and enjoy light snacks throughout the day. It should be noted that we received a document when checking in that states room service is available 24/7 however this is not true if you did not book your stay with butler service. We very much enjoyed our dinner at the French restaurant Baccarat. I had a vegetable pastry appetizer which was very delicious. I had a salad course which was nice but average. I ordered the duck l'orange for my entree and was very pleased with that dish as well. The creme brûlée was delicious. The wait staff was pleasant and the white gloves service was a nice touch. When were being seated the hostess tried to seat us against the wall but my husband requested a window table as there was a nice romantic feel to those tables and a nice view of the pool. The hostess first stated it was reserved and then my husband who is quite persistent, thankfully, pointed to another table right next to it and she could not refuse. It is our experience that at Sandals if you don't ask you will not get! Which kind of sucks because in our previous experiences with staying at other comparable resorts we were offered the very best from the start There seems to be a bit of a "caste system" at this resort. Those who book butlers and those who don't. Very few people on the resort appeared to book butlers but the difference in service experience was very apparent in certain situations. We were unable to acquire a dinner reservation at the kimono's tepanyaki restaurant for our entire stay. We arrived on a Thursday night and went to dinner at kimonos only to discover you need a reservation. When we called Friday morning for a reservation they informed us we could not get a reservation until Monday. (We left Monday morning). The offshore island, due to weather, was closed so we did not have the option to eat at their restaurant. We ate at the spices buffet Friday night as they promoted this big happening Caribbean beach party. What a dud that was. There was a band playing in the Buffett restaurant and they put up some cheesy decorations. I was eager to eat some traditional Caribbean fare. I would like to meet the jerk who forgot to jerk the jerk chicken and jerk pork the Spices restaurant was serving that night. Lol. All kidding aside the Spices restaurants food lacked just that, spice. I read a review that called the food inedible and I completely disagree. The food was very edible and was cooked appropriately as far as temperature however it had very little flavor. The meal was not memorable or pleasurable to the palate but it was just mediocre. I could kind of understand that Sandals might not want to overflavor their foods due to some palates who aren't used to it. But all and all you can't call a restaurant spices and not use any! Our biggest complaint which is a huge one is the lack of beverage service at the pool and beach. There was not one waiter coming around all day on our first day. Our second day the same thing so my husband stopped a lovely staff member by the name of Diane. She assured us that she would bring our concern up to the apporopriate manager. Shortly after she returned to us with James the supervisor of beverage staff. He understood our concerns and stated that there should absolutely be someone coming around to take our drink orders periodically. Sure enough he sent over a nice gentleman who took our drink order. So we thought this was resolved. Nope. Next day same issue & I begged my husband not to complain because we should just understand that this is not the standard Sandals offers. Then the next day the same exact issue. It was irritating because they indicated to us that this service is definitely supposed to be consistently offered. On our last day, against my better judgement my husband went up to one of the managers Rohan. He was extremely pleasant and wanted to resolve our issue by bringing me a beverage personally. I told him this was unnecessary and I just wanted to ventilate my frustrations to him at that point. He insisted on getting me a drink & I appreciated his efforts to satisfy me. However, what about everyone else at the pool. Should you really have to nag a manager daily to get a drink delivered to you? That was really uncomfortable for me but in my experience, resorts staff their bars well enough to accommodate for guests. I want to list some more pros to this vacation. The pizza is a nice plus. It was good and a nice snack to have at the pool. The nachos were a really yummy option too. The fire pits and outdoor furniture were a nice touch as they were very comfy. We enjoyed sitting on the couches watching volleyball games. My husband enjoyed relaxing on the hammocks. The piano bar sing along was great fun! However I agree with other reviewers the stench of the piano bar is unbearable as well as the bar by the crystal room. That is unacceptable! This will be a one time experience for us as we will not return to a sandals property. Our experience did not reach our expectations. Sandals should focus more on the present guest experience rather than heavy marketing for you to rebook. Focus on giving guests a reason to rebook during their stay by providing stellar service to every guest!

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank PantanoChris
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had a conference at this hotel that went well...The rooms have an antique, southern feel to it (so if you are expecting modern chic, go somewhere else). The people were absolutely beautiful and very hospitable. One complaint was definitely the "urgency" to get things done. Service was always with a smile, but in a timely fashion. Beach was beautiful and well maintained. Would come back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Meetingplannnerpro
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you enjoyed your stay with us but anything less than perfect indicates that improvement on our part is needed. Your comments have been sent to our General Manager for evaluation and action as needed.

We hope to welcome you back for a much better stay that will exceed your expectations in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We needed a long weekend get-away so badly - out of the wintery New York weather and stress! We booked through Amex as they tend to offer above average vacation experiences. My husband is an "island fanatic" - traveling to the Carribbean at least a couple times per year usually to higher end properties. While we are careful to review other travelers' experiences - taking time to carefully check out services offered - we read this one completely wrong and it was a real miss.

The property is nicely laid out, room was a good size and clean, the water is beautiful, and it's a short ride to the airport. That's all the good we found. Buildings are quite dated and feel tired- even the newly renovated tower where we stayed. It just didn't feel fresh. The main inside bar smelled of vomit the whole time we were there. The rest of the experience was just as others described in some of the negative reviews here. Service was slow to poor at best across facility. It's as if everyone is paid on an hourly basis and productivity and service are of no concern. Many times when I went looking for wait staff poolside or in a couple of the restaurants, they were relaxing and visiting with each other in small groups.

We did not learn until after arriving that room service was not available across whole facility - you had to be in the buildings with butlers to have it. We learned this the hard way when I became ill the first night we were on property. My husband requested rrom service as we had not eaten all day and we were told there was no room service. When he told them I was ill, he was told the only thing we could order was either a hamburger or a turkey burger - this was after speaking to 4 people . After escalating the situaton to the manager on duty, we were able to get real food about an hour later.

The following day we requested a room upgrade so we could have a real resort experience. While they found a room, we were told the upcharge was +$250.00 per night or +$300.00 with a butler! We passed! We called Amex to see if we could change properties. Afterall, if we were paying for a premium product we wanted to see the value. We learned at that point that the agreement with Sandals upon check-in is that you cannot leave early (without being charged full amount). Our trip with air cost over $5000.00 for 4 very uncomfortable nights!!

It's very rare to feel relieved when your vacation is over but we were so happy to return to the snowstorm in NY! This was a bad experience all the way around. No more Sandals properties for our family - EVER!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!