“Ok but I will try to pay less than I did.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
A TripAdvisor Member
“Ok but I will try to pay less than I did.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2003

Rooms: Ok, Get a room in the manor house if you can. It is a nicer place. Do not get a bungalow. They did not look nice at all. Food: Awesome. Plenty. Make reservation at the nice restaurants once you get there or you will not get to eat in them. Drinks are week but ask them to make them stronger and they will. Learn the hours of the restaurants and you will not go hungry. Take some food to your room so you do not have to go back and forth. Pools: We went in september and they will nice and warm because it was about 80's all day long. Activites: Scuba diving with sharks was awesome. I can't say more. Do it if you can.
Overall I would recommend this place but do not concentrate on getting a great room because it does not seem worth it. Everyones rooms looked the same to me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,948)
  • Polish first
Greer, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2003

Just got back from "Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort" 12/21/2003. Very big, nice pools but very poor maintenance. (We took digital pictures to show) The Bathroom was so run down, the tiles were missing around the tub and black mold was in the grout lines.chunks of spackle were just clinging to the door and on the bottom of the tub. some of the light fixtures are literally falling off the walls. Lots of burned out light bulbs all up and down the hall ways. Dirty walls and cob webs hanging off the ceiling(even in "spice's" restaurant) One evening about 4pm. We discovered there was just no hot water at all and we had to take cold showers. Went out to the casino one nght ,got back late -1am , went to get a drink and some food at the ONLY place open that late--"cricketeers Pub" Tried to get pina coladas--they told us the blender was broken-no frozen drinks at all. the next night the same thing happened.(that is a hugh part of what you pay for) they couldn't get a blender afeter a whole day? lot's of employees stand around and do nothing except chat with each other. Food is just fair, nothing great, crab cakes were cold, there are no snacks after 5pm even in the bars they have nothing to munch on Not even peanuts. you can BUY icecream bars in the gift shop. Not enough entertainment at all, boring most nights. we won't go back-for the price we will stick with cruises.

Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2003

Before making our decision where to go, Nedra and I read all of the reviews concerning Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort And Spa. We noticed that the reviews fell into two distinct categories: either excellent or terrible, there seemed to be very few reviews which fell in the middle.
We also noticed that the people who gave excellent reviews stayed in the higher category rooms, and the people who gave terrible reviews stayed in rooms in the Manor building. As a result, we booked the Royal Bahamian one-bedroom ocean view suite [which is the second highest category of rooms - 11]. This suite came with concierge service and room service. Only the top 4 categories of suites come with these services. We arrived on December 3, 2003 and reluctantly left on December 10, 2003. ONE TIP that we would like to pass on to those who read these reviews - do not schedule your flight to arrive in the evening on Wednesdays! Every Wednesday evening, a 747 arrives from Europe with 500 to 600 people. We had to stand in line for Bahamian immigration for two hours! Of course, we were frazzled, then then were treated with a ride in the Sandals Rolls Royce to Sandals. After registration [and a glass of champagne] we were escorted to our suite where our luggage had already been delivered, and were very pleasantly surprised to find the suite to be large, clean, with a large deck overlooking a spa and literally adjacent to the beach and ocean.
[Contrary to other reviews, the suite was spotless and had no odors whatsoever.] The bar was fully stocked with unopened bottles of liquor and the refrigerator was stocked with all kinds of juices, sodas, beer, wine, etc. The accommodations were certainly much better than our expectations. The maid service was absolutely wonderful, friendly, with nightly turn downs. The room service and concierge services were prompt, friendly, and given with an obvious smiling desire to make our stay a really pampered stay. [The full bottle of gin was Gordons which I do not like, and a request for Tanqueray was honored with not one, but two bottles. We are seniors, ages 63 and 68, and really loved the mix of people at Sandals. Met so many really nice people, and closed the piano bar down twice during our stay. The weather at this time of the year was a little iffy, but usually in the 80's during the day and in the 70's at night. We did have two storms with wind and rain, however, Nedra and I are a couple who can have a really good time together anywhere and under any conditions. Because of the weather, Sandals Cay [the off shore island] was closed most of the days we were there, so we could not try the restaurant at the Cay. We did eat in all of the other restaurants, except for the Japanese restaurant which had sort of a limited menu, and did not offer tempura dishes. At all of the other restaurants, we never had to wait, were given excellent service and thoroughly enjoyed our meals. At Casanova's, the Crystal Room and Baccarat, we ordered premium wines, and the prices were reasonable. Of course, the cost of the wines were applied to the $250.00 credit which we were given for staying 6 or more nights. We actually ate three times at Spices which is a buffet restaurant, even though buffets are not one of Nedra's favorite things. The huge selection for dinner and breakfast at Spices was truly awesome. Sadly, the time came to climb into the Sandal's Rolls Royce to be transported back to the airport. We really didn't want to leave, because our experience at Sandals was exceptional and so very romantic. We both felt and acted like we were in our 3-s or 40s again. Yes, the experience was clearly beyond our expectations, and we would recommend the Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort and Spa to everyone, provided that they spend a little more money and stay in one of the top four category suites. Some negatives, yes there were, such as no hot water on several occasions. However, a call to the concierge on both occasions resulted in hot water. We will be back!

Incidentally, I am merely a retired attorney, and not associated with the travel and resort industry.

2 Thank Nevadacruiser
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2003

Having previously stayed at Sandals in Jamaica, I was already sold on
the concept of "Ultra all inclusive" However, when I made our booking
at SRB as a surprise for my new Fiancé, I then found this site and read
with horror a number of the reports. I have to tell you, we had the
most fantastic holiday. We stayed in the Windsor block and had a large,
comfortable, clean room with great views of the pool and ocean.

We found ALL the staff to be friendly and courteous, many went that
extra yard to ensure we were happy. We even decided to eat our lunch
each day on a terrace that caught the sun (Mad dogs and Englishmen go
out in the mid day sun!) some distance from the excellent Spices
restaurant, even this didn't cause the staff a problem. Again contrary
to some comments, we found the drinks were of a very high quality as
was the food in all the restaurants. Crystals and Baccarat were
particularly nice silver service restaurants. The only restaurant that
was slightly disappointing was Cafe Goombay on Sandals Cay (a lovely
(half) private island just off shore) Here you will find basic burgers
etc but with finer cuisine only a ten minute boat ride away, whats the
problem! I read that some people were unhappy with the cleanliness of
the property, again I can only comment on what we saw and that was any
number of people continually sweeping, washing, and generally tending
public areas. I actually think some people could do with taking a look
at their own habits!
I would thoroughly recommend eating at Kimonos, not only is it excellent and entertaining food (it is prepared in front of you) but you share the table with 10 other people which is great fun. We will certainly be keeping in touch with some great people.
To sum up, a fantastic, relaxing, truly memorable holiday. Thank you to
all the staff for making it so special.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2003

I don't get a chance to take vacations ever!! When my comapniy notified me that I won an all expense paid vacation of my choosing, I immediately thought of "Fun in the sun". After searching online for trips to Hawaii, and Mexico I learned that I needed to look for an all inclusive package, since I have a limited budget. One of the Manager;s in my office suggested that I check into Nassau, The Bahamas! He suggested the Sandals Royal Bahamian, Said that he took his wife there and they loved it! He said that All inclusive is the ONLY way to vacation! I can sure understand what makes him feel this way! On an Island where even Ramen Noodles are priced @ $1.00 a package, it is a great feeling that you can have as much of whatever you want, whenever you want!! What a feeling you get when you ask the concierge for a bottle of Champagne, and he looks at you and says, "Only one?". Then he proceeds to bring you 2 bottles, 2 glasses and smiles, "Is there anything else, Sir?.

Plenty of choices for meals. All of the food was fresh, tasty and elegant. THe best part is the beautiful Water, and world class service!! I would totally recommend The Sandals and Nassau to any vacationer!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2003

My husband and I spent the week of Thanksgiving at Sandals Royal Bahamian and had a wonderful time. We are a well-traveled couple and always stay at luxury resorts. We read the reviews after our vacation was already booked and were a little worried, but kept an open mind. We stayed in the top category (12), the Royal Windsor one-bedroom concierge suite. From the time we were picked-up at the airport to the time we were dropped off at the end of our vacation, we were pleasantly surprised. Now, a word to all the complainers out there, I have a feeling that you booked the lowest category possible and expected to be treated like the guests in the top categories. Fortunately for the people that paid more, that is not the case. Just like everything else in life, the more you pay, the more you get. We were greeted by one of our concierge, Eugene, seconds from getting out of the private car. He was very nice and pleasant and willing to do anything to make our stay even more pleasant. He even gave us a hug when we left! Check-in was already done for us ahead of time. We were taken to our suite, which was very nice, clean and had the typical Caribbean decor (if you expected contemporary New York style decor, obviously you haven't traveled much outside of the country) we had requested Absolute Vodka prior to our arrival, and a new unopened bottle was already waiting for us in the room. All the mixers were fully stocked and the barware was clean. If you wanted premium brands, they were available; all you needed to do was ask. As far as the people that complained about the quality of the wine and the fact that you had to pay more for the better wines or ChampagneIf you would have been in a higher category room, all those extras were included. Our room was cleaned 2 to 3 times daily and we were given plenty of fresh, new looking towels, every time they cleaned the room. Anytime we called our concierge team, they were more than happy to send up to our room whatever we needed and they made sure it was sent up quickly. Every night they freshened up the room again, turned down the bed and had the TV set to the Sandals romantic music station. They even left little cards to great us good night. We thought it was a nice personal touch. They dont even do that at the Four Seasons or the Ritz. The room did not need paint or repair and the bathroom was modern. All marble with double sinks and a make-up station with a bench and his and hers walk-in closets. We had plenty of hot water too. I didn't see any rusty fixtures and didn't smell any mildew or bad smells. We did find the Manor building to be older and smelly. It kind of looks like an older Holiday Inn. They were in the process of repainting it when we were there. You do get what you pay for! We had a huge room with nice furniture, 3 patio doors that led to our huge balcony and we could see the ocean and the pool wherever we stood in our suite. We were so close to the ocean that we could hear the waves all night. The suite had a living room/bar area, a dining room area and a separate bedroom/bathroom suite. We took advantage of the full room service that came with our category for breakfast and late night snacks. The food was very good and fresh and the service was amazingly fast! My husband and I have been to the Bahamas before and we knew to expect slow "island time" service, but we were very surprised to find that anywhere we went, whether at the Crystal Room or the swim-up bars, the service was incredibly fast. And the plastic cups were of decent size, and like someone else said, any bigger and your drink would have melted and been wasted. For those whose drinks weren't strong enough, I dont understand...one of the bartenders actually handed me the bottle and asked me to show him how strong I liked my drinks! All of the drinks we had were very good and strong enough. The staff was very friendly and always willing to go the extra mile. I strongly feel that the people that didn't get good service or weren't greeted with a smile were probably giving the staff a bad attitude and were not deserving of good service. We witnessed people trying to throw their weight around, and I can't blame the staff for not being nice with them. If you treat them with respect, they will do their best to please you. They are not your slaves, and I doubt people would treat service staff in the same manner if they were in the US. They may not work for tips, but their jobs are on the line everyday and there are plenty of locals waiting to be hired by Sandals. Sandals rewards their employees with great pay and benefits and employee of the month incentives...If you don't treat them well, they have no reason to treat you well, no matter who you are or how much money you have. These people work hard and they deserve to be treated well by the guests. My husband and I noticed some guests giving the staff a bad attitude and it wasn't a surprise when we found out that they were staying in category 2 of a possible 12...it seems that the less people paid to be there, the more they expected...it doesn't work that way. By the first hour, most of the staff knew our names and they were all friendly. Waiters even helped me carry my plate at the buffet restaurants! The beach might be a little small on the resort, but Sandals Cay has more than enough sandy beach and plenty of secluded areas. We thought it was beautiful and very relaxing and romantic over on the island. And like I read in another review, people are such slobs...We saw people leave their plastic cups all around the hot tub and left food by the pool. It might be an all-inclusive, but these people are not there to pick-up after you! Grow up and grow some class! If it weren't for people littering, the place would be spotless, and even with all the people that do litter, they do a really good job of keeping the place clean. The food was good. The only place we ended up not finding anything we liked, was at Casanovas. All the other restaurants had excellent food and everything was well presented. The Spices buffet was excellent for lunch and they had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, which was delicious. The food was the correct temperature every time we had a meal; even the room service food was warm. As far as the nightlifeits a resort made for lovers and honeymoonersyoure supposed to be in you room enjoying each other at night! :o) We will certainly try other Sandals resorts. We don't usually go to the same place twice, so we may never return to the Royal Bahamian, but we will hold great memories of the place. If anyone plans on going, I would recommend any rooms in categories 9 and up, in the Windsor block. If you stay in any of these categories, especially the Concierge Suites, you won't be disappointed. Treat the staff with respect and they will repay you with excellent service and a big smile.

4 Thank onewheelmadman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2003

We spent the first week of our honeymoon at this resort and like everyone else, were apprehensive considering previous reviews. My husband and I have both travelled extensively and stayed in very nice resorts but we were simply looking for a beach vacation this time around. We had reserved a Windsor Grande Luxe with an ocean view room and when we arrived, we walked in to the very strong smell of smoke, the bed was partially made and the mini bar had half filled bottles of wine and water. We called management and after lots of unreturned calls and 3 hours later, were finally led to a new room in the villas. The suite there was beautiful and we very much enjoyed the private pool and hot tub just outside our door.

When we checked in, they mentioned the reservation system at the restaurants, saying the Crystal Room and Baccarat's required them. We arrived on a Monday and the fist reservation available for Baccarat's was on Saturday. That was our last night so we made them. We sampled the food in all the restaurants except the Cricketeer's Pub, which was closed for the majority of our visit, and Cafe Goombay. It was certainly edible and sometimes pretty good but nothing spectacular.
Baccarat's was definitely the best but it's a shame that the best food can be found here because unless you were staying more than 5 nights during the time we were there, you'd be unable to eat there. Drinks were good, some top shelf alcohol but it was fine.

The service was not great. Many times we were seated and waited about 10 minutes just to get menus. One day we ate at the Royal Grill by the pool and ordered drinks before the food arrived. We waited a good 15 minutes with repeated reminders to our waiter who we only sporadically saw, until finally my husband went to the pool bar to get them. It was faster! The waiters would appear occasionally and almost never remembered drink orders or anything else. They also seemed to be overworked, having many more tables than they should have.

We never made it out to the island, saving it for the last few days of our trip but unfortunately it was closed for those last 3 days. We did take a cab over to Atlantis one night and immediately felt that we should have stayed there instead. It was beautiful and in fact we met a couple who had planned to stay at Sandals the first several days of their trip, then move over to the Atlantis but they hated Sandals so much that they moved over earlier. I'd say if given the choice between the two resorts, they're both expensive but the Atlantis is luxury.
Sandals is nothing spectacular and even a bit shabby. Overall we were disappointed but thankfully felt that we got our money's worth, given the food and drinks and the free upgrade to a villa. Luxury this is not, but perfectly acceptable if you're just looking for a beach vacation.

• Stayed November 2003
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection