“Just what you would expect from Sandals`”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed October 15, 2012

First i want to start off by saying that i believe most of the negative reviews were written by people that did not know what to expect when visiting a Sandals property. Yes you are spending a large amount of money per night but keep in mind that covers EVERYTHING!!! not just a room.

We traveled with a large group of friends and family (7 couples) and most people stayed in the Windsor tower. We had a ocean view room (not a straight view but a wonderful view non the less). The bed was too firm for my liking but i had no problems going to sleep on it however sleeping in was uncomfortable. Not much of an issue more a great reason to get up and start your day. Our refrigerator was restocked twice a day on some days and only once on others. I only had to call once to ask for it to be restocked a second time. House keeping did forget to leave a new washcloth twice and forgot a hand towel once also ... again a quick phone call fixed the issue quickly.

The pools were great as to be expected the Windsor is the "party" pool and the Balmor pool was the "quiet" pool. Both pool bars were great. The Pool on the island is small but the bar their was great as well. My only complaint would be that their were a few times they were running out of glasses which caused for a slightly longer than expected wait for drinks at times.

The food was good ... not great but good, again just what i would expect from Sandals. This is an area where i think people have problem with what to expect. The food was never bad, at some restaurants it was great and other its was just good food. Im not going to complain about a cheeseburger i ate at midnight ... it was better than stopping at a McDonalds thats for sure. Dinner at Cafe Goombay on the island was exceptional as was the Select dinner (only available to Sandals Select members).

The Staff was great and the photographers were on spot (look for Tiko he will make you laugh), the Playmakers kept everyone active (Jason was great when you meet him tell him to FOCUS) and the dive masters kept everyone safe and helped rid the reefs of lion fish (if you think their doing it for lunch WAKE UP).

All in all it was a great trip and i wouldn't hesitate to go back again. As i matter of fact you can bet the farm i will revisit this property again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Rschrader
Write a ReviewReviews (9,151)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Wow!!! My husband and I have spent a total of 326 nights between all the Sandals properties over the past 18 years. We keep wondering to ourselves when we go to another property if this stay could be any better than our last stay. The answer is YES!! Amazingly they always seem to top our last stay.

The Sandals Royal Bahamian was no exception. The property is beautiful and well maintained. The food was incredible. For instance, my husband usually has bad luck with getting a good piece of steak but this time around he ate every bite of every steak dinner he had, which was 5 out of the 7 nights we were there! For our anniversary we had a candlelight dinner and dined on Beef Wellington. The staff was wonderful and accommodating as well.

We plan to spend our next 18 years plus enjoying all the Sandals properties.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We read the good and bad reviews so my wife and I wanted to see for ourselves.Sandals picks you up at the airport and your there in 15 minutes.Check in was a little slow but there was a bunch of us coming in at once so it wasn't a big deal.This is a beautiful property.They work very hard to make your stay a great time.If you like to party , this is the place.There's never a far walk and food and drinks.Entertainment is everywhere with bands and DJ's.The beaches are just beautiful.We spent a day at their private island which is just the best with a swim up bar , spas and a snack bar.Other reviews said to bring bug spray which we did but didn't need it ( bring it anyway ).You really don't need anything while you're here, they take great care of you.The staff are just the best.You can take a bus to Nassau which stops in front of the resort if you want.Tip: They swarm you when you get there so be warned.Sandals is top dollar but everything in the Bahamas is expensive. We loved it so much , we booked our next vacation before we left.This is one great resort!

Room Tip: The honeymoon suites away from the beach are nice and secluded with hot tubs and decks.Very short wa...
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had our dream wedding there. I cannot say enough about the staff. They were welcoming, friendly, and went well beyond my expectation. If I needed something they were more than happy to accomodate. Our stay was a bit pricey but well worth it. I was 4 months pregnant when I arrived and truly, the staff made us feel like family. By the time we left we were hugging and thanking them. Brides to be, they have an excellent make- up team. I bought a pic of what I wanted and the artist delivered. My pictures looked like right of a mag page. Their concierge was also excellent recommending and booking the right tours for us. And the food OMG: To die for. Try the italian and the japanese restaurant. Killer melt in your mouth perfection lamb. The only downside I wish the wedding planner had set aside 1 day to take trips to mayor and other wedding stuff instead of doing 1 thing each day that we were there. That in turn cut into times we could've been at the beach or trying more of their other amazing restaurants. Lastly, I wish they would trhrow more fun parties or entertainment@nights for the guests. I felt safe as they had guards checking all Id's when you leave/enter the hotel gates. Overall, it was awesome. Service even exceeded my hard to please bougie mother. Cannot wait to try other Sandals properties in other islands.

Room Tip: 4th floors had better sea view in my opinion
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yanis2101
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After thorough reviews of other resorts my Husband and I chose to spend our 20th Anniversary at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We were somewhat concerned after reading some of the very negative reviews but knew that everyone’s experience differs so we had to see for ourselves. All we can say now is we spent 7 days in Paradise!!!

On arrival at the Airport, it was very quick getting through customs/immigration agent – you were then directed to receive a complimentary shot of Rum (if you wish) which we did of course!!!
We then proceeded to the Sandals agent where our bags were tagged and directed to the airport shuttle for a 10-15 minute drive to the resort.
Once arriving at the resort we were welcomed with refreshing cool cloths to freshen up and given a welcome glass of champagne. Our wait time was approximately 20 minutes before we were checked in and shown to our room.

We stayed in the Balmoral Tower and chose the Buckingham Ocean view Concierge Service – our room (#508) had partial view of the ocean. Our main view was the pool area which was still nice and very quiet when you wanted to turn in for the night. The room was very clean with a very cozy 4 poster mahogany bed along with a well-stocked mini bar.

We had no problem making reservations at any of the Restaurants which we did at our time of check-in.

Each night we had great meals and there was always something to eat depending on our mood. During the day lunch was always superb with things like a delicious burger on the island or a made to order pizza in a stone oven.
One night we had a buffet around the pool with live entertainment and succulent steak and seafood.
The reserved restaurants didn’t disappoint. Japanese style Benihana was not so much Asian but rather Steak, Chicken, Rice and a mixing of oriental.
Our Anniversary meal at Baccarat was excellent and felt upscale. We each added a Lobster tail to our main course which hit the spot. Casanovas was a nice change as well if you are feeling Italian. Try the rack of Lamb.

For breakfast we tried many options. Spices which is always available as a buffet. Room service which is lighter fare of cereals, assorted Danishes, as well as fresh fruit, delivered to your room. Baccarat which is menu based and very nice. Lastly we really enjoyed Casanovas since it was a little quieter than Spices.

The resort is pretty intimate in size compared to some large sprawling resorts. There are areas for every type of personality. For the quiet minded there are always areas to relax and enjoy. Our favorite was on the island since there is a lot of beach to enjoy. We were always able to locate a nice shady spot to relax on each beach. For the more social there are pubs and bars to sing Karaoke or enjoy the game. We also found this applies to the pools with the Balmoral poo l quieter compared to the Windsor pool which tended to be rowdier with a lot of scheduled activities.
All in all we made the right choice with Sandals Royal Bahamian – wish we were still there!

2  Thank soniaunderwood
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Went here for four days at the end of our honeymoon last October, and was truly amazed!
We had originally booked the Breezes Resort but long-story short, we got a call a week before the honeymoon to say the roof had been damaged in the recent storms and we had to change resorts... So ended up paying the extra for the Sandals, and was so pleased we did!

The resort itself was beautiful, there's picturesque gardens, white sandy beaches with crystal-clear waters, lovely pools and even the buildings were beautifully decorated. We had a room about halfway up the building which had slight sea-views, but overlooked the pool and gardens which was nice. The room was huge, had a very comfortable king-size bed, and was nicely decorated. On arrival we had a bottle of wine, a congratulations/welcome card from the staff, rose petals and towels shaped as two swans on the bed. Every day house-keeping would also come in and re-lay the bed with a new towel design and the rose petals which was a lovely touch. We also got a welcome pack of travel-size bottles of various products from their Red Lane Spa (which unfortunately we didn't get the chance to try out the Spa) - this included a wash bag, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and aloe vera - which came in handy as my husband got sunburnt on our first day!

They literally wait on you hand and foot - when we first arrived, we tried to move our suitcases ourselves and the porter told us to leave them be, were supposed to be on holiday and that meant doing nothing during our stay but relaxing... We got a complete tour of the resort, and was told to come by anytime if we had any questions. The staff were wonderful, really friendly, chatty and helpful. They wouldn't take tips (we tried) as they said we're there all-inclusive, and that included their tips - but if we wanted to leave tips with a compliments note about them we could with reception and it would go into their "holiday pot" to share out, which we thought was nice! At one point we asked the porter for directions to a local cash-machine so that we could get some spending money for the bus into town. He had one of the butler-service chauffeurs direct us, but after a minute of giving us directions the chauffeur told us to "hop in" to the brand-new S-Class Mercedes he had sitting there and he drove us the 5minutes down the road to the cash machine saying it was safer than us having to walk! He then waited for us to get cash, before pointing out the bus stop on the opposite side of the road and gave us some tips on how to ensure we got the right "safe" bus.

Meal wise, for lunch we nearly always had the freshly made pizzas at the bar by the pool - These were fantastic! Freshly made in front of you with your choice of ingredients! Then dinner we went to Casanova every night bar our last - I would highly recommend the place, I nearly always had the buffet antipasti for dinner rather than ordering an actual meal on top! The last night we had made reservations for Kimonos; unfortunately we were really dissapointed by this place, considering we had to book four days in advance to get a reservation, and even then still had to wait a good 20minutes to be seated. We'd advised both on booking, and when we arrived that I was vegetarian, and yet after we'd finally been seated, they brought over a mixed starter of all meat... I queried it, and after apologizing, they went away and came back with a veg starter... 10 minutes later, once the chef arrived (it's a tepanyaki restaurant, you have about six of you to a table with a personal chef cooking in front of you as part of experience) he started cooking up dishes and chatting as he went along... As interesting as this was, the whole time I was thinking "Hmm, well as he's cooking all of the meat and veg on the same 'plate' I wont be able to have any of this..." and also thinking, he must be doing something else for me after... It was only when he started dishing up that I questioned it, and he advised that no one had told him I was a vegetarian, and had to get one of the waiters to go and cook something for me. About 10minutes later again, and after everyone else on my table had started eating, I finally got my meal, which consisted of a plate of VERY salty rice with onions, peppers and some baby corn.. I wasn't impressed! However, we didn't let it ruin our stay, and this was the ONLY negative to the entire holiday. Everything else outwayed it by so much that we cast that negative point aside as a random piece of bad luck.

Drinks-wise there's a massive choice both alcoholic and non (but seriously, why would you go non-alcoholic when in the Bahamas!?) anything you like from the various bars at anytime... We spent most of the time at the pool-bar, and the drink of choice was their rum-slush... Basically a strawberry slushpuppie with about 3shots of carribean dark rum = LOVELY!!

We would definitely go back, though we're now thinking of saving for a different Sandals resort instead to try something different!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tina S
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We have been to the Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa & Resort & Off Shore Island twice. My Fiance' and I decieded when we got married September 15th 2012 the only place we wanted to spend our Honeymoon was at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We knew the resort and some of the friendly staff already. Hey, this was are HONEYMOON and we knew we would have a Great time at Sandals. You hear horror stories about honeymoons and we wanted ours to be PERFECT!! Sandals made it happen. Our package included a renewel of of vows, it was free so we renewed our vows bare foot on the beach! Our wedding consultant was AMAZING!! Everyone was super friendly and very helpful! The care the give to you on a daily basis makes you feel like you are Royalty!! The rooms are very clean and spacious. All the resturants serve delicious meals. The entertainment staff is GREAT!!! They get you envolved with games, trivia, and dancing! The off shore Island is PARADISE!! They offer hourly trips back and forth to the island. We Highly Recommend Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa & Resort & off Shore Island!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island