“Not worth the stay”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Elmont, NY
Reviewed September 30, 2003

My husband and I recently returned from the SRB where we celebrated our wedding anniversary. While the activities were good and we had lots of fun, we cannot say the same about the food, servers and maid service. Upon arrival at the SRB, we were greeted by a staff who served us Champagne and a warm towel, since I was not drinking, I asked for a juice I was told that they had no juices but could have a bottle of water, I never got. Our room overlooked the ocean, which was a lovely view. Maid service was horrible; the room was not cleaned before 3:00 p.m. each day. Our food experience was an experience I will never forget. Breakfast at the Baccarat, took over 45 minutes just before the meal made it to the table. Flies were flying all over the pastries and the breads. The server was not a happy camper. Second night, dinner at Kimonos, no reservations needed, an hour's wait before being seated, another hour before any food made its way to the table and yet another unpleasant server. The food was prepared in front of us which was overcooked, served in small quantities and loaded with soy sauce, the sushi cook just poured it on like no tomorrow. This started my indigestion problems, restaurant after restaurant the food was inedible. My husband and I ate off premises a couple of nights. Dinner at the Baccarat, Salmon again horrible, my plate was returned slightly touched, at that point, I complained and they listened. Night at Casanova, the chef prepared a special meal for me, which was the best meal I had at SRB, again another server who just served and never bothered to come back to our table, we waited for coffee and desert but got disgusted and walked out. My first visit to the nurse, who did not have ant acid, but Milk of Magnesia, at this point I would have taken anything because the heartburn was intense. My second visit to the nurse lead to Prevacid. The chefs at SRB should get a first class lesson at cooking and cooking with natural herbs and flavors. SRB is not the place for health conscious guest. Maid and server service should be re-visited by management. Hot tubs were always too hot. Gym equipment should be given an overhaul. Aerobics teacher should be given a watch to be on time to start classes.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 27, 2003

Hi there.My Husband and I stayed at Sandals from Tuesday 16th September till Tuesday 23rd July 2003.I was really worried before visiting with all the reviews and the bad ones made me very apprehensive about going. So what I did was emailed people and found out as much as I could.We left London Heathrow on the Tuesday morning arriving in Nassau about 2pm. After getting our bags we went to the Sandals desk and were welcomed, our bags were taken to the awaiting bus. We waited 5 minutes for other couples to arrive and made our way to Sandals.When we arrived we were greeted and our bags were taken away. I was given Champagne and a towel, a map of the property, a bag with shampoo, hand & body lotion, bath gel and conditioner.We were told our room was 743 and we were shown to our room. Our room was a villa called Allamanda ref 28 on the map on the Sandals website. Now this room was heaven, it has a quiet location so you wont hear a thing, and there was 2 mini swimming pools just 30 seconds away!! The lady showed us to our room, it was perfect, a large 4 poster bed, separate living area, large bathroom, and a mini bar!! When we arrived we opened the Champaign to celebrate arriving at Sandals. Now I am 25 and my husband is 28, this was not our honeymoon, and not a vacation booked months in advance, we booked it about 4 weeks ago as we are professional people who work hard and play hard.We are both well travelled, we enjoy our vacations having went on Royal Caribbean and P&O in the past couple of years. The night we arrived we went to Kimonos, we did not need to make reservations, we turned up got asked what drink we would like and sat with other couples until our table was ready. Our meal was amazing top quality.The next morning we signed up for scuba diving, we filled in the forms and had our lesson, and went out for a dive later in the week as the water was a bit rough due to Isabel.The beach had seaweed the day we arrived, we were told because of Isabel, the next day 3 men were raking the seaweed up and it was never seen the rest of the week. There were 2 bikes you could use in the water, lots of windsailing, kayaks etc.We went over to the Island the next day, and the staff told us on the boat over what part of the Island was ours, there is a blue fence which divides the area up, cruise ship visitors are at the other side, 2 days out of the week I seen people on it, but honestly it is not a problem as Sandals have the nicer part!! I did dip my toes into the hot tub there and it was too hot to use that to be honest is my only fault with Sandals.We ate at Spices every morning for breakfast had lunch at spices and the royal café whatever suited us. We ate at Baccarat on the Monday night and was served by Pedro he was great! We ate at the Crystal room on the Sunday night and that was excellent. On the Tuesday night we are at Cricketers, it is English themed, i.e fish and chips, toad in the hole, etc I ate in Casanovas also. It was so hard to decide where to eat at nights because we enjoyed all the restaurants.The games room was great, it had 2 large pool tables, chess and checkers, while I set up the pool balls my husband would get us drinks in the Manor bar I liked the Sandals Smurf. Now the drink in our mini bar was local alcohol, but behind the bars was absolute, jack D etc all the main brands.Ok peoples complaints I have read:- my room was musty, dirty, not cleaned etc ok our room was perfect and I had no reason to complain, but if my room had been I would have been on the phone straight away and they would have moved rooms if we were not happy. There is nothing to do outside the resort and it costs $15 cab ride!!! What rubbish!!! go right outside the hotel and get a bus for $1pp one way into Nassau where you can go to shops and even go to Atlantis, my husband and I got the bus and then walked to Atlantis we walked over the bridge, we did that one day and went and swam with dolphins the next day. The buses were frequent like every 15 minutes and other people get on the bus from the Wyndham and Breezes. Other moans I have heard. The weather. You cant blame Sandals for that!!! there were loud mouth Americans at the bar when I was there people were having a good time at the bars and having a laugh. Is that a bad thing??? Are people not allowed to have fun?? After all the money they have paid they are entitled to that!!Overall I was delighted with the service from Sandals and I would return in a second, actually thinking about going back in February, or maybe Turks,If anyone wants to see any pictures we have taken or any questions please feel free to contact me.

13  Thank SandalsPrincess
Reviewed September 25, 2003

My fiancee and I went down there (with about 12 couples) for a wedding in April, and while I can see how some people could have fun there, and we did, I wouldn't go back. So here's the review, take what you want from it.

Positives: 1. The grounds were impressive, two large pools were nice, it was nice to lounge around pools.
2. All-inclusive is nice for drinks around the pool, you can just grab something and try it and not worry about dropping 10 bucks each time.
3. Piano Bar was fun, although it closed fairly early, about 11:00, we aren't huge clubers and enjoy the sing along atmosphere.
4. Most the food we had in the a la carte restaurants was good. Not 5 star plus, but very good.

Neutrals 1. The room we had was better than average, no problems with service, having a wet bar was nice.
2. Weather is nice, but be aware, in april we still had some cool weather, mid-70's, nicer than Chicago, but not hot.

Negatives 1. It might just be the Island way, but service, especially at the bars was slow, they should allow tipping if it would lead to better service.
2. buffets, yuck. In my opinion, too many buffets gets old.
3. The pool is not heated and cold in the winter months.
4. Make sure you make reservations at the gourmet restaurants before you go.
5. Not a lot to do around the resort without$15 cab ride to town. I kinda felt trapped in the resort, if you like to explore, go to different places, this probably isn't for you.
6. They had the private island closed for the first 3 of our 4 days. On the first two days, the water was choppy, but on day 3 it was fine, and the other resort that shares the island, was running their people. It seemed as though the staff just didn't want to open it, not that there is really anything great over there anyway, but a better beach.
7. All-inclusives, it depends on what you are looking for, but we determined we probably wouldn't stay in one again, based on published airfare, and $200/night rooms (which would be about right, or too high for the room, the amount that went to the all-inclusive was over $1,000 (a couple) for our four days (which was actually 2 full days, one evening, and one morning). That's quite a bit, I know it's not outrageous, but I think we could have eaten at two great restaurants, one good one, and done the other stuff for probably less.

4  Thank abuck75
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 23, 2003

We just returned from our Honeymoon at SRB. I read so many positive and negative reviews about the resort before visiting, I must say I was nervous. Unfortunately, we were disappointed in the entire trip. While the suite was impressive, the maid service was lacking. Literally the only thing that was done was turning down our bed at night and making the bed in the morning. No new glasses or toiliteries were ever provided. Unbelievable. The food was barely edible and bland. We waited literally 40 minutes one morning for a bagel with cream cheese at Bacarat. The servers were poorly trainned and unfriendly. One night the Piano Bar ran out of glasses and served drinks out to the plastic cups they use at the pool bar. How can you run out of glasses? On top of it, only one bartender was there and was faced with probably 50 angry people waiting up to a 1/2 hour for a cocktail. Not a way to spend a vacation. It seems like visitors who were young loved the place - probably because they had nothing to compare it to. Hey, if I was 21 again and had unlimited access to alcohol, I'd love it too! But for anyone with ANY type of travel experience or in their mid-30s, we heard only negative reports. It's amazing this place can stay alive in today's cokmpetitive marketplace. They must be relying on stupid young honeymooners to make a living.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2003

This was our first trip to any Sandals resort. No problems with transfers at the airport. We got to the hotel a little after 2:00pm.
They sat us down in the reception area with champagne and cold towels and provided some info about the hotel and reservation restaurants.
They nicely explained that check-in wasn't until 3:00pm and therefore our room would not be ready until after that time. We were then taken over to Spices for the buffet lunch and told to enjoy lunch and the grounds until our room was ready. The lunch was very good. We then took the opportunity to make reservations for all the restaurants that required one. No problem getting a reservation to any of the restaurants. Also made tour and spa reservations.

We purchased a Honeymoon Oceanview Concierge room in the Manor block.
We were given our ammenity kit and lock for the safe and taken to the 5th floor, room 510. The room was very nice, but did not have a balcony. Only a sliding window that faced directly towards Sandals Cay.
Not acceptable. We understood that our room would have a balcony that faced the Manor pool with an oceanview. We nicely relayed our concerns to the front desk and was immediately taken to the 4th floor, room 406 without any problem. This room was perfect. It was on a corner and faced directly over the Manor pool and the beach/ocean area. The room was very nice and clean. The bar was a nice touch, but we really didn't need it. After all the alcohol we consumed down at the pools and restaurants, we didn't need to drink in our room also. Never touched any of the alcohol offered, and only drank 2 of the bottled waters and 2 cans of juice, which was promptly restocked the following day.

We ate at all the restaurants for dinner except Cafe Goombay on Sandals Cay. We enjoyed the food very much. Never had a bad dining experience.
We were disappointed though in the seafood selection, as they only offered conch, grouper or shrimp. No lobster or crab. Also, the desserts are not as sweet tasting as I am used to. We enjoyed Spices mainly for breakfast and lunch. Nice wide variety of selections with daily grilled to order specials. We tried Baccarat and Casanova for breakfast once and Royal Cafe for lunch twice. The service in Baccarat for breakfast was too slow, though very good. DH really enjoyed Kimonos and we ate there twice. We were really impressed with the food and service. Much better than any AI we've been to in the Mexico-Caribbean.

We are mainly beer drinkers and usually only drink Corona and Bud Light. We tried the Kalik beer and really liked it. I drank the regular with lime and DH drank the Gold. All bartenders were friendly and we did not have to wait long to get a drink. We saw lots of name brand liquors at every bar. We just told them what we wanted and they gladly served it to us. We sat at the Manor swim-up pool bar one afternoon and tried 1 of every drink on the menu hanging above to see if we could find something we like and have never had before.

The Royal Theater had something going on every night at 9:30pm. We saw the fire limbo, the Las Vegas type show Oh La La, participated in the Mr. and Mrs. Royal Bahamian Contest (we came in 3rd), the VIP band played a couple of nights and we just danced the night away most every night. We had late night snacks at Cricketers Pub. The chicken wings were excellent. Also enjoyed the Billiard Room. Played pool and chess a few times. Had late night dips at the Windsor's hot tub, and went to the piano bar twice for sing-alongs.

Spa- I had the body polish scrub, the moor mud masque (the mixture is painted on with a paint brush), aromatherapy hydrobath (the mud mixture was rinsed off in the hydro bath instead of the shower) and 35 minute Swedish massage. (The massage is the back part of the body only) Though the services were nice, I wouldn't say they were the best I've ever had especially for the price. I've had the same treatments in Las Vegas and Mexico-Caribbean for less than 1/2 the price and felt the treatments were slightly better and more personal.

We took the charter over to Sandals Cay. We had lunch at Cafe Goombay.
Basically the same menu of selections as the Royal Cafe. The pool was very small compared to the hotels main pools. Also had a lot of debris and sand in it. Not very clean. The beach area was nice. Saw a few fish as we waded in the water. We stayed 2 hours and then went back to the Manor pool. We could have skipped going there altogether, but wanted to try it. We had dinner reservations for Cafe Goombay, but after seeing the area we canceled it.

We are definitely pool people and loved the massive size of the 2 pools. The water was clean and just the right temperature. The 2 hot tubs at the Manor pool were not as warm as I would have liked. The Windsor hot tub's water temp. was perfect, but it didn't have any jets.
The 2 hot tubs by the spa were dirty with lots of debris. One was cold and the other scalding hot. No problems in getting towels or loungers.
The towels were beach size, but kinda thin. We were able to replace them as needed throughout the day. The beach was nice with white sand.
No rocky entrance to the ocean and warm crystal clear water. It was a small beach area, but didn't feel overcrowded. Did not have anybody bug us to buy things or use the motorized and non-motorized water equipment. There were a very limited number of umbrellas for the loungers at the beach and the pools. We saw 3-4 per area.

This was a fantastic trip. The weather was perfect. Overcast and cloudy which took away some of the heat, but just perfect to use the pools and beach. It rained once, which was on the day the left. We really enjoyed the hotel, the service, the food and entertainment. In all of our trips, we have never found more nice, friendly, polite, accommodating people.

11  Thank KVR
Abita Springs, LA
Reviewed September 10, 2003

We just returned from our Weddingmoon at Sandals Royal Bahamian and overall, found the experience to be wonderful.

From our arrival to the resort to the final farewell, the staff couldn't have been friendlier. It was truly a treat to have such courteous service from everyone at this resort.

Our Wedding: We decided to take advantage of the "free wedding" offered in packages of 5 nights or more to get married. The wedding package includes the ceremony, a small reception, a special wedding night dinner, breakfast in bed, 1 photo, and t-shirts to commemerate the event. Extras available include upgraded photography packages, video, flowers, etc. We bought the video and basic photo package. Our videographer was a blast to work with and nudged our photographer to continue despite some inclement weather. The previously mentioned weather forced us to change plans for location and the staff was able to work with us. Dinner that evening was fantastic, as was breakfast the next morning.

Our room: A bit less than expected. Our room was a "suite" in the Windsor Building. My wife thought the decor could be more romantic with a few additional touches. Also, our A/C was broken and just stayed on with the fan on Hi. We tried to have it repaired, but all they did was turn of the compressor and the room was hot and humid. So we had them fix it again and just left the balcony door open to sort of balance the temperature to something bearable. The hair-dryer is useless, so bring your own. Mini bar is a nice touch, but there's no brand name liquors in it. No big deal for us, as we primarily are beer and wine drinkers.

The Food: One word... Incredible. We didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there. Kimonos, Casanova's, and Spices were our favorites.
Spices does a buffet breakfast and lunch, as well as a BBQ type thing for dinner on Mondays, and has so much to choose from. Kimonos is a Hibachi and you'll sit with other couples, which is great if you like to socialize. Casanova's is Italian... Very good Italian.

Other places of note: Cafe' Goombay on the Island is excellent, but wear long pants and socks, and maybe some Off because the sand flies are horrible. Royal Cafe' is good quickie lunch food. Cricketers has traditional English Pub food. The Crystal Room is very nice, but a bit more than I personally need on a vacation. Didn't eat at Baccarats. We blew off our reservation and ate at Spices that night. Make your reservations upon arrival to make sure you'll get to experience all the places you want to try.

The Drinks: They're plentiful, and good liquor is available. You won't have to travel far to find an adult beverage. Some of the frozen drinks are pre-made and the rum is poured in after the fact, which I didn't care for, but my wife didn't mind. I stuck to beer or whiskey and water the entire week. (As well as wine with a couple dinners and champagne for our wedding night and breakfast)

The Beach: It's small, yet clean, on the main resort area, but very nice on the island. Plus the water is so clear and so blue that it's breathtaking. And tropical fish are everywhere. Snorkeling by the boat dock will be almost as rewarding as snorkeling the reef that's nearby.
If you're absolutely determined for some beach time, take the boat to the island and spend a day there. The bugs get bad at night, long after that beach closes.

The Activities: We took advantage of the snorkeling and sailing.
Snorkeling was amazing, as there is a reef about a mile away from the resort that comes within 3 feet of the surface and is teeming with fish of all sorts. The sailing was fun for novices like us. There were several Hobie Cats and we never waited more than about 10 minutes for one when we wanted to go out. We saw people doing the resort cert diving but our schedule didn't allow it for us. Also, there's volleyball, tennis, fitness center, etc. etc. all included in the price of the resort. Plenty to do.

Mishaps: Just one. At checkout time, we left our bags outside our room while we spend one last morning by the pool. At 3 PM, when we were to meet our bus to the airport, our bags were in the holding room for luggage. We had to ask about them and the staff pulled them out and put them with all the other bags waiting to go to the airport. Because everything else went so smoothly, we just got in the van and expected our bags to go too. Well we were surprised when we got to the airport and had no luggage. The van driver called the resort and they said they would put the bags on the next bus to the airport. Just then the Sandals Rolls Royce pulled up to drop off another couple and I asked the driver if he saw our bags. He did, and told us to jump in the car and lets see if we can get back before the bus. We flew back to the resort, but missed it by a couple minutes. We then drove back to the airport to meet the bus driver who did in fact have our bags. The limo driver didn't have to go to that length to help us, but he did and did cheerfully.

Overall, we were very happy with our decision to go to Sandals. While there are some things that do need some work, the service, food, and hospitality more than make up for the minor shortcomings of this resort. As for the negative reviews here, take them with a grain of salt. Some folks are just impossible to please.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2003

We stayed here for a week in August of 2003. We read the negative reviews but went anyway because we got a great flight. We only paid $2400 for two people for one week (Bill Fox Traven online), so let me start by saying that if you paid more you got ripped off and will be disappointed. I think it was moderately worth what we paid and my biggest advice is that if you can afford to pay more for a vacation, do it and you will be happier in the end. Life is too short to spend your vacations in mediocre places. We have stayed in Grand Cayman, Peter Island (Virgin Islands),Turks & Caicos, Jamaica, Cancun, etc. and this is definitely on the lower end. The food is so-so but the drinks are decent. The resort makes it seem like their restaurants are some classy place because of the dress codes, and really they all served the same cuisine, just a red sauce here and a white sauce there. The "activities" are thoroughly annoying and they play obnoxious music and games when all you want to do is relax in peace. If I ever hear "who let the dog's out?" again I think I will have convulsions!! The beach is small and the chairs are all cramed in like sardines. The pools do not have restrooms close by even though there are many swim-up bars. HUMMMM...wonder where everyone was going??? The room was pretty old and run down and had mold but we had an AWESOME 180 degree ocean view- the best I have ever had. The maid would bring washcloths and bathmats whenever she remembered. One complaint is that we were invited to a "return guest reception" and when we called the concierge to find out where this dinner was, we were informed that it was drinks only. We hadn't made dinner reservations so we ended up eating at the pub (nasty). We had a drink and left because everybody was snobby and looked like they were expecting a freebie. Come to find out it really was dinner and was LOBSTER!! I was PO'd. You can't get a bottle of water at any bar, but you can get a Johnnie Walker- go figure. The guests were getting on my nerves after a while. I have never seen so many home-done tattoos. What are these people thinking? One even had a Nike swoosh- nothing like using your body for permanent advertising. They reminded me of Myrtle Beach South Carolina (just passed through once- not a frequent guest there either). This place is also wedding central for every brilliant person who wants to wear a tuxedo in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity. We saw no less than 2 dozen weddings in a week- all the same. Nothing special. If you decide that this is where you have to go, good luck to 'ya. I had an ok time but I wish I would have spent more money and went somewhere else. Email me if you have any questions.

6  Thank kerith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection