“Goldies - would not recommend”

Goldie's Conch House Nassau Bahamas
Ranked #34 of 308 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: Bahamian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Went to Goldies on Monday March 31st (late lunch). Had the whole row of places to chose from - but Goldies was recommended by a waiter at our hotel. We should have known to turn around when we walked in and we were the only people there...but we figured that perhaps we had just missed the lunch rush.
I first have to say that the quality of the food was both good and bad - we had conch fritters (pretty much bread with a small piece of dough - tough to chew) and lobster salad (which was quite good - but was $20). Overall, outside of the food, there were many things that totally ruined the experience for us.
1. My lobster salad came out literally 45+ minutes after my husband's conch fritters (we finally told the waitress that if the order didn't come out NOW - to cancel it and just bring us our bill)
2. There was a local there "Joe" who had obviously had too much to drink - he was trying to tell us stories, showing us shark teeth and other stuff and was yelling back and forth with the waitresses and the (I assume) owners of the restaurant...lots of "f-bombs" (and I use the word myself - but not at full volume in a public place where clients are trying to enjoy their lunch).
3. The waitress/owners didn't try to dissuade this guy - they laughed with him and argued with him - told him that he shouldn't be so abrasive around their clients - but then continued to egg him on and laugh with/at him. I would have respected the fact that he might be a paying client - and they didn't have control over him - but they were "participating".

We couldn't get out of there fast enough. I wish we had gone to the place called "Fish Fry" (they had a nice balcony on the second floor) or the place called Twin Brothers (they had lots of people on their patio)

2  Thank AjaxTraveller

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I am a regular visitor to Nassau, Bahamas. Twice a week in fact. And I have only recently discovered Goldie's. A colleague recommended the grilled snapper. My wife and I had the snapper and BBQ chicken. Both came with a side of fries. Simple, wholesome, Bahamian food. We plan to go again tomorrow to try the various conch offerings.

Goldie's is based in the 'Fish Fry' area of Nassau. It's at the end of Junkanoo Beach which links the main shopping area with Fish Fry. This area is packed with 35+ restaurants, all serving traditional Bahamian food and beers. Goldie's is at the farthest end of Fish Fry. It is also, the best restaurant in Fish Fry.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was one place I really wanted to go eat at. It's in the Fish Fry. I had the whole steamed snapper. Very good. I also wanted a Conch shell to take home with me so I went to the back of the restaurant where they get the conch right out of the water when you order it, take the conch out of the shell and then they through the shell back in the water. I asked if I could have one just shucked. He cleaned it up and gave it to me for $5.00. That is one of my favorite treasures. Thank you:) It rocked.

1  Thank Meg B
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My family and I ate at Goldie's last Tuesday upon the recommendation of Cheryl, our taxi driver. We arrived at about 7:30 and it was fairly empty. Apparently the locals eat later in the evening because it was filling up as we left. Camille was our server, and she was great. The conch fritter appetizers were really good. Between the four of us we had grilled grouper, grilled shrimp, and two orders of grilled snapper. They were delicious. Possibly the best meal we had all week, and we ate at Carmine's, Virgil's, and Chopstix. Lively Carribean music filled the air as we left the fish fry area and smiles were all around. We got a real taste of the Bahamas. Big fun.

1  Thank Crosseyedkev
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stopped by Goldies during the day on a tour and had conch fritters and a local beer. It was so good we went back for dinner. We ordered grilled fish, which was different from what we considered "grilled". Their version is cooked in a foil packed with onions, peppers, plantains and seasonings. It was amazing. So much flavor! I had the grouper and my husband had the snapper. Both were good, but the snapper was two whole fish complete with bones and head, so if you aren't up for that, go with the grouper.