“Wonderful experience”
Review of Van Breugel's - CLOSED

Van Breugel's
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A taste of old world Europe in the heart of downtown Nassau. Located in a beautifully restored, historical Bahamian home, Van Breugel's Restaurant & Bar delivers a charming fusion of Euro-Caribbean traditions. Lunch:Mon-Sat 11AM-3PM ~ Dinner:Wed-Sat 6PM-10PM ~ Closed:Sun.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Friendly staff, extremely personable owner/head chef. I had the conch soup and a delicious grilled salmon. House chard was good as well.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Very friendly service with easy laid back atmosphere. It was a quiet evening for us which was nice but I'm sure it can be very busy. The curried shrimp with rice had a sauce that I have never had and could not even think of trying to copy the chef's secret. The tender veal with scallop potatoes on the menu came with roasted potatoes instead which not really explained why. The wine was served ice cold with ice cubes in my glass that I quickly tossed under the table. We didn't have the wine opened and opted for a Chilean wine less refrigerated instead. This is a personal request and it was a common way to serve most wines in Nassau especially if it is hot out.
A relaxing time outside for a fond memory of our last night.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

A friendly traveler recommended I try Van Breugel's. I enjoyed my meal so much that I went back twice during my stay. The staff was very attentive, and the owner stops by tables to welcome both locals and tourists, as well as share his newest creation that is not yet on the menu. I had a fabulous Thai salad with steak for lunch! The menu provides an eclectic selection which I appreciated after several Bahamian and seafood meals. Don't miss this gem!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Say what you will about Nassau -- great beaches, nice people, etc. I get it. In terms of food however, Nassau simply is not ready for prime time. Van Breugel's is emblematic of Nassau's very poor restaurants -- lofty goals, but weak on delivery and high on the price scale.

For starters, there is very little on the menu that excites the tourist. It's an eclectic mix of Asian and European inspired dishes, but no nod to the local fare except for a highly overrated coconut curry conch chowder. Apart from this disappointing starter, you're left with such disparate choices as "Indian" shrimp, wiener schnitzel, or lamb shank. You get the idea -- there is no theme, no coherence. Just a bunch of overpriced dishes.

Sadly, this was some of the better dining we had in Nassau, yet this restaurant would not survive very long were it located in any small-to-midsize city in the US.

Woland

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Stopped by Van Breugel's for lunch and Freddy the owner suggested the blackened Mani mahi sales and it was excellent. The menu had a large selection to select from. The prices are typical Bahamas on the high side it the food quality is well worth it.