“Made our trip”
Review of Van Breugel's - CLOSED

Van Breugel's
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A taste of old world Europe in the heart of downtown Nassau. Located in a beautifully restored, historical Bahamian home, Van Breugel's Restaurant & Bar delivers a charming fusion of Euro-Caribbean traditions. Lunch:Mon-Sat 11AM-3PM ~ Dinner:Wed-Sat 6PM-10PM ~ Closed:Sun.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

After being introduced to Van Breugel's through the Tru Bahamian Food tour we decided to visit for a snack and drink later that day. After encountering the proprietor we are hooked. Great atmosphere, great food and a good value. Must try the Conch Chowder and Tuna Tartare!!! Delicious. We returned for drinks with some friends the next day and after a sub-standard dinner experience at another establishment (the island's only 5 star restaurant) I wish we'd stayed at Van Breugel's Bistro.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was a very different experience for us in Nassau - a blend of locals and tourists and affordable, very good food. They had an unexpected, and very welcome, menu. They had a lot of trouble with their wine list, though. We ended up going by the glass...
Service was cute and concerned, though a little clueless.
The owner is also the chef. He was a very affable guy.
We will plan on returning.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We were very disappointed with this place. We ordered some drinks; a dry martini with Bombay Sapphire and a glass of champagne. Th waiters pointed out that the glass of champagne, Moet & Chandon, was priced at $ 20.-. As I had a question I walked to the bar and saw the Barmen mixing the martini using a cheap gin. They were also opening the bottle of "Champagne" which consisted of a californian sparkling wine. The food was average. Also, they have no wine list.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having just returned from Nassau and having eaten at Van Breugel's, I wanted to add to the reviews. i really was disappointed, having expected such a high rating from trip advisor. On the recommendation of the server who suggested that the salmon drew high praise, I ordered it. It was way over cooked. Now maybe Americans like salmon well done but this Canadian sure didn't. The accompanying mashed potatoes were likewise boring. My son makes them much better. My husband said his conch chowder was good, better than at Twin Brothers, but not as good as the Bahamian Grill. He also enjoyed his main course.
The bar tender , however, did fix me the most perfect Bahama Mama.
Still it's the Bahamas and sitting outside when it's minus 31 in Toronto is a real bonus.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We discovered Van Breugels on a Friday at lunch time thanks to "Tru Bahamian Food Tours" when we had the opportunity to try the Thai Conch Chowder, which was excellent. The place was packed and had a great vibe. Sadly this was lacking on Saturday night as it wasn't very busy, but we still enjoyed a great meal and service thanks to Ryan who could not have been more attentive or friendly.

My husband loved his bratwurst and I enjoyed my hog snapper with the exception of the part that may not have been fully cooked as it tasted a little "fishy". This little hiccup in no way changes my intention to go back should I ever have the opportunity to do so again.

One thing to consider--downtown Nassau at night is not at all as packed as it is during the day. Having visited a few times and witnessed the traffic and absence of parking during working hours, we used the valet at the Hilton (about a 5 minute walk away). There was no need as the streets were virtually empty. In short, we could have parked next to the restaurant. One reads about Nassau not being the safest place, so walking back in a deserted area doesn't do much for your comfort level.

2  Thank GingersMom66