“Decent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Nassau
nyc
“Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed in these Villas Nov 15 to Nov 19. The outside needs a remodeling but the villas are clean and spacious. 7 Adults stayed in one villa and we all had enough space. They're stores not far which is convenient. there isn't much to do on the property unlike Sheraton or a big name hotel would have. My party and I went downtown everyday. If your only looking to relax then this is your place. There isn't a beach only a pool. The pool was clean and deep enough to swim laps. FYI the hotel says they have wifi but it doesnt work in the room, only at the pool and main office. All in all I would stay here again if I was with a big group. If its a only gonna be a couple people elect for a big chain like Sheraton, or wyndam because there are more activities to do. The staff here was extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view even if you booked garden view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We walked in to check out this resort for a friend. We only saw 3 guests the entire walk through. Pool is closed, taped off & the property got a bit wrecked during Hurricane Sandy. We asked to look at a room and they said they were at capacity. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone right now and it looks like they were renovating some units closer to the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
      Location

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Were to begin. We rented the end beach unit and it was amazing! We had and extra large patio/ deck area and it also had a gate for direct access to the pool/ ocean from out unit. That was a great advantage for our group.
The Wifi connection is a little slow and drops you from time to time, but it was free so I guess I can't complain to much. It was better from the 3rd story balcony than any other location in the the condo.
The staff cleaned up the trash once we put it in the right location promptly. It was taken with in 10 minutes of being placed out side. There was a wild cat and a rat that got into the trash when we put it out on the grilling area instead of out side by the entry door.
The unit is a little out of date and not super modern, but it was clean and worked great for our needs. It was similar to most off the beaten path hotels and was not bad by any means.
If you are staying on the third floor then keep in mind this room has no door. It kept us entertained and we got some good laughs at this. This seemed to be a great spot in the morning for coffee looking out over the ocean. It was a great way to start your day!
If there is a late night group in the pool the sound does carry up into the unit. We were up late most nights so it was not an issue for our group, but I see how it could become one quickly.

Room Tip: You won't get hotel room service here or even super attentive front desk staff. Defiantly a grea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

So much space in the 3 bedroom, 3 story apartments...big lounge and dinning room....well equipped kitchen...
3 good size bedrooms...plenty of bathrooms, baths, showers, etc...and we had great views out across the pool, beach, and sea...

so if you want a do it yourself apartment - you really should be very happy with these - we certainly were.

the negatives:-

- if you like hotels, you might miss the instant service and flock of staff...
- there is only one bar and food outlet (the pool bar), which is run by mum and 2 daughters..they were friendly, and the food was good..but you will be using the kitchen, or finding restaurants if you stay in this resort, as they are only open for limited hours...

these things didnt matter to us, and we enjoyed our stay and would recommend these fantastic value and facility apartments to any of our friends...

for info...

you can catch the local stop and go buses into Nassau town right outside the apartments, so no problems there. Nassau's bus system is pretty good...
Paradise Island is over hyped, but you need to do it !
the cafe by the town market does fantastic food...wow their breakfasts and main meals were tasty!
the people were friendly ,and funny - I found them smart, knowledgable, and great company.

unfortunately i cant comment on cable beach as Isaac had pushed the waters so far inland that our beach was virtually gone...from the little that was left, I would imagine it to be very relaxing, but with sharks and stingrays inland while we were there, it was not explored!

Room Tip: we were in 12a and found it great..they say that all the villas have pool and sea views so i think y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank khyberpass
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We are scuba divers. We don't look for fancy. We want a clean place with room to dry and store our gear - the roominess of the three storey units attracted us to Blue Water - it appeared to be an inexpensive option in the Bahamas where hotel rooms run much higher than the the units at Blue Water.

We chose to stay in an Ocean Front Unit that had spectacular views overlooking the pool area, then ocean from each level - we thoroughly enjoyed the view.

When we arrived our unit was not completely cleaned. The bathroom on the second floor clearly had not been mopped (hair, gross) and a towel that appeared to have a daquiri stain on it was thrown on the bed in the room it was attached to. We immediately called the front desk. They said "sorry" but no offer of cleaning was made nor did it ever take place.

The hot water in the main ensuite shower was non-existant. Thankfully, the unclean bathroom did have a warm shower and was on the same floor. We told management about the issue and they did send someone. Unfortunately, that person didn't fix the problem and when we mentioned it at checkout they had received feedback from the person who fixed it and appeared to be aware that it was not functioning correctly. Not sure if they plan to correct it. As it was just two of us in a unit with three ensuites, we were able to make due.

The front rooms have very noisy windows and when the winds kicked up, we had three nights that were hard to sleep due to the whistling winds. There was a rain storm one evening and water leaked into the unit from the top and middle floors. We were not surprised about the windows, we just didn't bank on how hard it would be to sleep with the wind howling.

As others have reported, the mattress is very soft and added to the poor nights' sleeps.

The bathrooms & kitchen have been updated and are lovely to look at - the kitchen had all the right equipment, but zero starter food (ie. coffee, salt & pepper) that you find in many other places. We bought the 5 gallon jug of water from the office - very worth it.

We purchased groceries at the City Market for breakfast & lunch and chose to eat dinner out.

We had two wonderful meals at The Sand Bar on the property. Dawnie needs a day's notice to make fresh fish dishes and it is worth it: she prepared an amazing Bahamian Grill Grouper for us as well as a delicious pan fried Grouper. The green salad she makes is large, fresh and delicious - we enjoyed eating her food on our balcony a couple of nights. Dawnie is a gem and certainly the highlight of this property.

The pool was always clean, warm and wonderful to sit in . We never had trouble finding a seat around the pool, though we were there in low season to be fair.

The beach is wonderful - no it's not big, but that is the way the beaches are on Cable Beach - even the pricey Sheraton has a limited beach. If you're looking for a Seven Mile Beach, you're on the wrong island. The ocean was as warm as the pool, unfortunately, the winds were from the north so the visibility was nil for snorkelling - that is the danger of travelling in October when the winds are up.

We did a day trip to Atlantis (not our thing), enjoyed dinner at Jimmie Gone Bananas at the Fish Fry, Beach Grill at Sandyport (best restaurant EVER) and Amici at the Sheraton for a delicious Grouper & Lobster.

We dove with Stuart Cove - great service, they pick up at the front gate of the Blue Water & will even store gear there for people diving multiple days.

We took the #10 Bus into town and up to Sandyport - simple and inexpensive, but be aware, the bus drivers expect tips, so it's not really $1.25 .... unless you're comfortable with a scowl.

Overall, if you are looking for an inexpensive way to enjoy Nassau, Blue Water fits the bill - don't expect luxury at non-luxury prices and you will be pleased, not disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for Ocean Front, the view is worth it. Units 7 - 9 are closer access to the pool and bar than mo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank BooWho3
Fireball92771
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Two things that would help this resort tremendously would be a maintenance and a housekeeping staff who take pride in their work. Those two things would resolve every con I found with this resort.

I am fresh off a trip to this resort. We checked in on Friday October 5th to the Blue Water. We were traveling with another couple and at first glance we impressed by the facility. The first impression was short lived once we figured out that the front door would lock occasionally, (we returned to the unit twice and the front door was open) the the sliding glass door in the upper bedroom wouldn't even close completely, and the kitchen door going onto the grilling area could only be closed by a man with the slamming ability of superman. (My husband repaired the kitchen door in about five minutes...a handy-man who takes pride in his work) The floors were filthy. Granted, at first sight, due to the color of the tile one might think they were clean, but after about an hour of barefeet on the floor I learned otherwise. (See the attached picture) The bathrooms were completely remodeled...they could have been easily cleaned and keep the new appearance...instead the dirt and grime has already built up in the cracks and corners and the room looks ten years old. BTW, check out the picture taken from the master bedroom... it would have been a awesome view, had the window been clean.

About an hour into our stay the men of the group had been out touring the property, they returned with big eyes describing rats as big as house cats. We'd thought they were embellishing the description until we (the women) saw the rats ourselves. My border collie would have thought he was in heaven!

Since I always try to be objective and fair in my review I will say that the office staff was incredible. They were quick to accomodate anything we asked. I certainly appreciate their quick response since we didn't have a single washcloth in the entire condo upon our arrival.

The security staff was very nice and helpful. I will say however that the last night of our stay a group men, possibly locals, were allowed into the pool in the early morning hours. (The pool closes at 10pm) They woke me, yelling obsenities one at the other, at 3am. This behavior was allowed to continue until after 4am. I assume someone in one of the other oceanview villas called security....I couldn't call, our phone was inopperable for our entire stay. The following morning there were empty rum bottles left along the pool's edge. Trust me, it was a heck of a party and NO ONE in the oceanvillas could have slept through it.

I am not, nor have I ever been a person who requires a five star resort....I will say however that I hold timeshare affiliated resorts to a higher standard. After all, someone paid hard earned money to buy time at that resort. I'm thankful that I'm not an owner at this resort...I was there on an exchange. I'm not sure how much the maintenance fees are for this resort, but there is very little maintaining going on.

There is a Burger King and Subway within walking distance. The City Market is also near by and I much preferred shopping there over the Value Market and there was little difference in the prices. The Swiss Pasty shope, across the street, is awesome...try it.

All in all, this resort was an okay way to burn up some expiring RCI points. Would I ever stay there again? Nope! If I ever return I'll spend my points down the road at SandyPort. Before I took this trip I'd read both good and bad reviews...I went into this with an open mind but unfortunately, the bad just outweighs the good.

Room Tip: My only suggestion would be to go elsewhere or just deal with the quirks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fireball92771
Jamaica, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Absolutely loved the accomadations (was nice to have a washer and dryer when going to beach or pool everyday). Went with 3 other women. Had plenty of space to not drive each other crazy. A/C worked too well, but we liked that. The place was very clean. Staff was nice, friendly, and helpful. (We got there way before check-in at 4pm and they got us into a villa within an hour). The place is in a very safe area and close to different plazas with fast food restaurants and a 24 hour market (which serves food). Got a lot more than was expected for the price. Would definately go back to this particular residence. Only issue was that we had a large roach that we had to kill, only once. However, I'm used to seeing roaches of that size in NYC streets... so was not big deal. Just had to make sure did not take any home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
#3 of 15 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 stars 2,052 reviews
Atlantis Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach Resort

Been to Blue Water Resort on Cable Beach? Share your experiences!