“Nice full day getaway”

Hoover, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice full day getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I went on the same day the previous reviewer went on. Miserable stormy weather, especially later that day. I had never snorkeled before so this was a perfect beginner's location, as mentioned before. There were some hits and misses, with most of the misses being weather related. You get a simple drive by the large homes on Paradise Island (Oprah, Michael Jordan, etc) and then off to Rose Island. You choose between remote beach first or snorkeling first, with lunch served in between. Travis was pleasant and professional. Be aware during rainfall, there is probably not enough covered seating on deck, but there is plenty of room below deck. Appetizers were a surprise, nothing special, but also not necessary and a pleasant surprise. We chose to snorkel first. The water is about 8 feet deep. My friend had snorkeled before in Cancun and said Cancun was way better. I traveled along the shore for a bit, seeing a stingray, and some coral. Not a lot of fish that day. But I enjoyed the experience, and the remoteness. Travis grilled ribs and chicken on deck, and served both along with cole slaw, baked beans, and bread. I thought it was quite delicious. Then we switched and went to the beach. Not much to do except swim and hang out, but again, remote and relaxing. Then back to Nassau, except by sail rather than motor. This was a much slower return than arriving. The weather was terrible, but Travis did a good job directing his staff with the sails. We had as much rum punch as we wanted, and then the bottom fell out with the rain. Got nasty quick. I agree that the best part of the experience may have been meeting the 10 or so strangers with us. Made for a good time. They accept CASH ONLY so please do not arrive with credit cards. Made for a mess with many at the end when Travis let them go on the trip without paying first and then had to take them to an ATM at the end. I was annoyed with them attempting to argue a lower price due to weather, etc. Yes, it was a little pricey, but considering it was all day and lunch was included, as well as round trip transportation it was less than what a day at Atlantis would have set you back, especially since the outdoor activities did not exist there that day.

Visited December 2012

Rodersdorf, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Barefoot sailing cruises”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Went on a really grey and stormy day, surprised they still wanted to sail, shoes thrown into a black bin liner. Good boat and captain, Travis, competent. The reef isn't much, damaged, as you can machine but ok for beginners, there isn't many fish,nice coral fans though, and if you are lucky you could see a stingray pass by, remember, only if you're lucky!
The food is ok, stodgy donuts and sweet rum punch is passed out, you cannot digest too much of these things, and BBQ for lunch, ok. The is divided by snorkeling and a beach visit on rose island, full of debris washed up, not pretty really, but the caribbean sea is welcoming with its turquoise color. Nothing else there.
On the way home, daiquiris were served, so sweet, again, one really was enough , with fruit and chocolates, sounds nicer than it was!!

It's not an exciting day out, can be fun depending on whose travelling with you, and expensive for what it is. I would do my homework if you are a serious snorkeler to find a better reef. Wouldn't go again.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Tenniscrumoet
whitby
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Captain Congenial he isn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Wow. Captain Bligh and his don't touch my boat cruise should find a new line of work - maybe fishing?

Captain Randy (yes I did try to engage him in conversation) told me his family has been on the island since the 1700's. I don't get it. MAybe island fever has finally set in. This guy is the most taciturn individual in what should be a person persons position.

I got a kick out of reading the other reviews . Yup we got to see the feet on the tiller pose.

Being a sailor I wanted my companion and other folks we took to experience the feel of steering the ship. Randy had a great and very descriptive response when i asked "no". Not much point in wasting words is there.

THe words he did speak were clipped and prefunctory. It was like we were imposing on him.
His farewell thanks for sailing with us was the most insincere thing I have ever heard - it was like he was reading a script and didn't understand the language.

Change careers Randy. Don't you get it? Be nice to people - get referals. Be nice to people and have them write glowing reviews on the internet so more people come and give you their money.

Unfortunate really as it is a nice boat, a nice cruise (we did sail), a nice lunch was served - BBQ'd off the back of the boat - and a nice location. THere are no fish to see in the coral. Very little to see.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Andrew B
Vancouver, WA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Trip; Surly Captain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I look at every trip I book/place I stay on Trip Advisor before booking, so I can't say that I wasn't warmed about Captain Randy! I'm a surgical nurse, and I'm used to doctors who bark orders and who seem like they're in a bad mood all the time. I know how to handle such people, so for me, Captain Randy didn't bother me that much. But my husband was infuriated at the way Captain Randy treated his first mate. He didn't want me to tip the crew at all, because he was afraid that the mate wouldn't receive his share of the tip. But the rest of the day went so beautifully that I did it anyway.
We were met with the same brusque barking orders as everyone else: no shoes on deck, don't go below if you're wet, move your stuff, move yourself, etc, etc. He didn't even intruduce himself or say welcome aboard. On the way to Rose Island, it POURED rain. I mean to the point that my husband and daughter went below decks. My son and I weathered the storm as best we could, but eventually, it became too painful to sit in the rain, it was coming down so hard! I sought shelter under the canopy, but Capt. Randy was upset that my son wanted to go below to change into his swimsuit. He was also upset when we failed to tell him that our son was a vegetarian when it came time for lunch (it truly slipped my mind, and I honestly didn't think they'd accomodate his needs anyway). To his credit, after several complaints directed at me, he went below and came up with an alternate lunch for my son, which I thought was very nice. The sun came out for our beach portion, and for the rest of the day. The beach was to DIE for, beautiful white sand that felt like powdered sugar, beautiful fish, clear, warm water, and good snorkel equipment.
As said by others, Randy sang, and bbq'd our lunch, and was for the most part sort of friendly to the women aboard. There was just six of us, so I feel lucky that we didn't have a huge group like some, as I don't know where everyone would have sat at all. We had the luxury of lounging all over the hull, laying in the sun, and it was pure bliss. There was tons of food offered, all day, from the minute we set sail, until just before we got back to the deck. All of it was fresh and delicious. Rum punch was served on the way back, as much as we wanted.
Would I go again? Probably. It beat the heck out of crowded ship tours, and if you can get past Captain Surly, then you'll love this excursion!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank gardenluvnnurse
Clayton, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Perfect, unforgettable day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family of four, including a set of 11 year old twins, just returned from a cruise. Wishing to avoid the cruiseline tours, I found this 6.5 hour sailing tour with Barefoot Sailing. It was an amazing day that we all loved from beginning to end. Captain Randy and his crew of 2 were delightful! I have read some previous reviews since returning and I couldn't disagree more with the people who found the captain "rude or surly". He talked to all of us at length about the area, sailing, family, etc. If he had to tell someone to move, it was done very politely and with the intent of keeping everyone safe. He was great with my kids and all the other kids onboard that day. The breakfast of donuts and pastries was fresh, there was plenty of fresh coffee for all, and everyone was offered seconds and thirds. The sail out to Rose Island was smooth and peaceful. Once we arrived at the island, we received snorkeling gear that was in good shape. Most people snorkeled at the coral reef and eventually headed to the secluded beach to explore. If you were not comfortable in water over your head, the staff could take you to the beach in a small boat. While there, a sudden storm popped up and the crew quickly ensured out safety inside the boat until it passed.

Lunch was made on the boat by the captain and was delicious! Grilled chicken and ribs, baked beans, cole slaw, and rolls. More than enough for everyone with seconds if you desired. The captain made sure everyone had what they wanted and even served up some plates from below for those sitting up on the boat.

After lunch there was more time for swimming and snorkeling. My daughter was scared to get in the water and Captain Randy even helped her to conquer her fears. On the sail back, there was plenty of rum punch, fruit, and chocolates. Great music was playing and it was just a peaceful, relaxing time!

The captain personally made sure my family returned to the cruise dock in time which I don't think he would do if he didn't truly care about his clients and his business. We are already planning a trip back to Nassau next summer and plan to take another tour with Captain Randy at that time. If you want a nice experience without the crowds, please consider this group! It was our favorite day of our week long trip!

Visited August 2012