“Great Trip; Surly Captain”

Barefoot Sailing Cruises
Vancouver, WA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Trip; Surly Captain”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I look at every trip I book/place I stay on Trip Advisor before booking, so I can't say that I wasn't warmed about Captain Randy! I'm a surgical nurse, and I'm used to doctors who bark orders and who seem like they're in a bad mood all the time. I know how to handle such people, so for me, Captain Randy didn't bother me that much. But my husband was infuriated at the way Captain Randy treated his first mate. He didn't want me to tip the crew at all, because he was afraid that the mate wouldn't receive his share of the tip. But the rest of the day went so beautifully that I did it anyway.
We were met with the same brusque barking orders as everyone else: no shoes on deck, don't go below if you're wet, move your stuff, move yourself, etc, etc. He didn't even intruduce himself or say welcome aboard. On the way to Rose Island, it POURED rain. I mean to the point that my husband and daughter went below decks. My son and I weathered the storm as best we could, but eventually, it became too painful to sit in the rain, it was coming down so hard! I sought shelter under the canopy, but Capt. Randy was upset that my son wanted to go below to change into his swimsuit. He was also upset when we failed to tell him that our son was a vegetarian when it came time for lunch (it truly slipped my mind, and I honestly didn't think they'd accomodate his needs anyway). To his credit, after several complaints directed at me, he went below and came up with an alternate lunch for my son, which I thought was very nice. The sun came out for our beach portion, and for the rest of the day. The beach was to DIE for, beautiful white sand that felt like powdered sugar, beautiful fish, clear, warm water, and good snorkel equipment.
As said by others, Randy sang, and bbq'd our lunch, and was for the most part sort of friendly to the women aboard. There was just six of us, so I feel lucky that we didn't have a huge group like some, as I don't know where everyone would have sat at all. We had the luxury of lounging all over the hull, laying in the sun, and it was pure bliss. There was tons of food offered, all day, from the minute we set sail, until just before we got back to the deck. All of it was fresh and delicious. Rum punch was served on the way back, as much as we wanted.
Would I go again? Probably. It beat the heck out of crowded ship tours, and if you can get past Captain Surly, then you'll love this excursion!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank gardenluvnnurse

Clayton, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Perfect, unforgettable day”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family of four, including a set of 11 year old twins, just returned from a cruise. Wishing to avoid the cruiseline tours, I found this 6.5 hour sailing tour with Barefoot Sailing. It was an amazing day that we all loved from beginning to end. Captain Randy and his crew of 2 were delightful! I have read some previous reviews since returning and I couldn't disagree more with the people who found the captain "rude or surly". He talked to all of us at length about the area, sailing, family, etc. If he had to tell someone to move, it was done very politely and with the intent of keeping everyone safe. He was great with my kids and all the other kids onboard that day. The breakfast of donuts and pastries was fresh, there was plenty of fresh coffee for all, and everyone was offered seconds and thirds. The sail out to Rose Island was smooth and peaceful. Once we arrived at the island, we received snorkeling gear that was in good shape. Most people snorkeled at the coral reef and eventually headed to the secluded beach to explore. If you were not comfortable in water over your head, the staff could take you to the beach in a small boat. While there, a sudden storm popped up and the crew quickly ensured out safety inside the boat until it passed.

Lunch was made on the boat by the captain and was delicious! Grilled chicken and ribs, baked beans, cole slaw, and rolls. More than enough for everyone with seconds if you desired. The captain made sure everyone had what they wanted and even served up some plates from below for those sitting up on the boat.

After lunch there was more time for swimming and snorkeling. My daughter was scared to get in the water and Captain Randy even helped her to conquer her fears. On the sail back, there was plenty of rum punch, fruit, and chocolates. Great music was playing and it was just a peaceful, relaxing time!

The captain personally made sure my family returned to the cruise dock in time which I don't think he would do if he didn't truly care about his clients and his business. We are already planning a trip back to Nassau next summer and plan to take another tour with Captain Randy at that time. If you want a nice experience without the crowds, please consider this group! It was our favorite day of our week long trip!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Staceyhep
Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“What a fantastic evening”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We chartered the sailboat 'Riding High' for a surprise birthday party for my mother. There were 20 of us in all and everyone had a fantastic time. Erin was ssooooooooo.... accommodating with all my requests. Nothing was out of the question. Captain Randy and his crew kept us with drinks in hand all evening. The music he selected was ideal for our group. And the dinner was spectacular. Well worth every penny and a great way to experience the beauty of Nassau's waters. Thanks to the captn and his crew for a great night

3 Thank Jessica R
new york
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sand in my shorts is a no no!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was a last minute decision which we were grateful they had an opportunity. Boat was immaculate and as a sailor Randy the owner was great and knowledgeable and we felt in good hands. The cost was $115. a person for 6 hours and as such a good value.
We went to Rose Island to snorkel and beach . All his equipment on the boat was working and useful. The problem was t hat the cruise has been booked by a group of vegetarians before they added us on. So the barbecue was eliminated and in its place we're baked beans and spliced cheese and nasty dinner rolls. There was lemonade and bug juice and ice tea. Really, you could have an option for t he non vegans,!!! more important was the captain who was cranky because people got sand on his boat! Come on now,you took us to a beach. Just take a hose and wash the deck after all disembark!!

2 Thank farmischt
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very pleasant sailing”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Having read many of the reviews here, we nearly passed on this sail/snorkel trip. I'm so glad we gave them a chance. We found Captain Randy and crew to be polite and pleasant throughout the trip. There were absolutely no problems at all. The sailing, surroundings, and snorkeling were just what we wanted, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

This was my 6 year old son's first time swimming/snorkeling in salt water, so I was a bit nervous about the depth of the water and how he'd do with salt water in his mouth. The 56' boat anchored on a sandy bottom about 200' off of Rose Island, and the swim to the reef in front and behind the boat was no more than 150' in each direction. Water depth was probably never more than about 15', visibility was very good, and we felt no current at all. My son spotted fish immediately upon entering the water, and he was ecstatic and had absolutely no fear from that moment on. What a thrill for me that he had so much fun.

I can't help trying to counter what some other reviewers have said about Captain Randy. But having read Gasserjcp's review of October 2011, I think he's said things pretty well. Follow a few simple requests (that are for everyone's safety), act as if you were a guest in the Captain's house, and you'll have a great day.