“Good Hotel, friendly staff - on budget”
Review of Nassau Palm Hotel

Nassau Palm Hotel
Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I stayed in Nassau palm resort in May 07 with my wife and 2 kids 3 yr and 1 yr old. After reading reviews of Nassau Palm Resort & Conf Ctr on the websites , this resort seemed like a nightmare for a wonderful dream trip to the Bahamas. however, I booked 3 nights with waterfront, double beds and balcony, as I had to stay close to Nassau downtown for some official purpose. I booked other resort for the rest of my 10 day trip to Bahamas - Comfort suites in paradise island and Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach in Freeport. I knew this hotel would not be great as compared to the others I had booked for the rest of the trip. On landing, I checked IN and when I saw the room - it was as expected (from the other reviews). Not so clean and very small. That same night, I talked to the front desk people and told them that I was not very happy with the room, especially my kids would not even enter the room. The front desk people were very very helpful and showed us some suites. We immediately upgraded to a Kids suite across the pool the suite rooms were great - clean and spacious. The upgrade to the suite was worth the time and the small amount of money (AAA rates) and at the end of the trip, I realized that the Nassau palm resort was indeed a great stay. This resort is 5 minutes walk from Downtown and from Fish Fry. we dined as Fish fry twice. even the restaurant in the resort is Great and is priced same as fish fry restaurants One more advantage is that there are gift shops in the resort itself which sell everything - breakfast muffins, bottled water, sodas, milk at a reasonable price. we could buy anything for kids from here itself (did not have this facility in other resorts I stayed). The front desk is very friendly and helpful. we booked the Dolphin Encounter with the vacation specialist at the front desk. They goofed up a bit as NO bus came to pick us up for the encounter even though we had paid for it but this was completely forgotten because of their friendliness and the way they guided us to other spots in Nassau. Overall it was a great experience staying here. The maid used to make a elephant-like thing from the bath towels and leave it in my kids room as they had noticed my daughter has a couple of elephant soft-toys. This hotel is great - I will recommend to stay in their suits. I will definitely stay here when I go to Nassau in the future

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed April 5, 2009

We had read the reviews for this hotel before we booked it and, despite the warnings, decided we'd give it a try. The room was okay at first, accompanied by the musky smell of water damage, and we decided we'd stick it out. After all, it was right on the beach. It took a little more than 20 minutes before we had to call and ask to change rooms. Why? Well, we pulled back the sheets and found hair, yes you heard me, HAIR. No it was not ours, we do not shed in a futuristic manner before we get to our scheduled locations.

So we changed rooms and had to change into a room with two full beds instead of a king. We thought it'd be okay but we decided to check the beds first. One bed STILL HAD HAIR and the other seemed clean.

Of note. You may be tempted to stay here because of it's location; it's one block away from a public beach. Don't. The beach is full of broken coral and glass. The locals can be seen jumping off the stone piers, but be careful. Broken glass is aplenty and the water isn't too deep in this area either.

Worse part: They charged us the gratuity tax for the first night...Just go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2009

On entering the hotel I was greeted with exceedingly polite front desk staff and a tour guide also came over to ask how my flight was and how the Bahamas was treating me so far. My room was huge! King sized bed, the bathroom was clean and fully stocked with towels and toiletries. The t.v had an abundance of chanels but the best thing was the view!!! Straight out onto Junkanoo beach! Breakfast was great and really set me up from the day, everyone is so eager to chat and ask how you are etc over some great food and most importantly coffee.
The hotel is about a 10 minute walk one way from downtown Nassau which is full of souvenier shops and high end designers (Gucci/Cartier/Coach anyone??) it is also a 10 minute walk the other way from the Fish Fry, a collection of 'restaurants' where all the locals eat (try the grilled Grouper fish and for dessert the Guava Duff) and socialize.
Best thing: The beach across the road
Worst thing: Some local guys are a little too keen especially if you are a single female traveller.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2009

It was my first time to the Bahamas March 2009, but am a "seasoned traveler" - with more than 100 trips to Mexico in the past 20 years. With that said, I would recommend this hotel for anyone traveling alone, as a couple or a family... ESPECIALLY if you are on a budget and want a clean hotel in an EXCELLENT location on the island.

The staff at Nassau Palm was very friendly and helpful, and the security was top notch. It is not the "all inclusive" (which will cost hundreds of dollars a night - minimum if that is what you are looking for )- but GREAT accomodations at a GREAT price... especially if you do not want to break the bank)... and it is VERY expensive in Nassau.

I NEVER saw a single bug in my room - but if I had - big deal - I am on an island and that is expected - but there were none. The pool and grounds were kept clean and tidy at all times. I saw staff sweaping the fallen leaves from the trees off the parking lot and driveway every day.

Nassau Palm is located across the street from the beach ( but still only maybe 150 feet from the water/beach), a 10 minute walk to the famous Arawak area (awesome local restaurants with the most amazing conch salad)... and a hop on the #10 bus the other direction for $1.25 for a 5 minute ride to downtown and the Straw Market and the boat docks.

This hotel also offers a "continental breakfast" every morning which consisted of a variety of fresh island fruits and hot pastries, coffee, tea and either pancakes (which were to die for) or corned beef and grits...this breakfast would fill you up in the morning no doubt... not like most continental breakfasts that are usually just toast and coffee.

All of the rooms have at least a partial view of the ocean. The pool was nice (and clean), there is a small sundries shop and a smoke shop in the hotel as well as a bar. My only complaint (if you call it that) was the airconditioning units are outside the patio doors and quite loud at night if you want to sleep with your door/windows open (but closed it was fine).

Now back to the price thing: It will cost you $27 US (or Bahamian - it is the same rate) one way from the airport to this hotel (it is a standard rate with all taxi's), and taking a taxi elsewhere on the island is a bit pricey. "Lawerence" is a taxi driver who spends a lot of time taking guests from Nassau Palm to wherever they want to go - he is a REALLY nice, honorable man. you should look him up if you stay here.

Food... food on the island is expensive too... but ummmmmm sooo good! Make sure to try conch fritters and conch salad with lots of lime and chili (very hot) and fresh oranges... it is amazing - REALLY. And don't to forget to eat the pancakes at Nassau Palm - they are like little "heaven cakes"!

NOT ONLY WAS THE STAFF GREAT AT NASSAU PALM, but the locals on the island were an incredible group of loud, happy, proud, incredibly vibrant and interesting people. (Bahamians talk loudly when the get excited or are telling a story - and they play dominos loud too!)

I WILL MOST DEFINITELY COME BACK TO NASSAU PALM HOTEL - HOPEFULLY IN THE NEAR FUTURE... Although on Trip Advisor this hotel only had a 2 or so rating, I would personally rate it higher - the value for the money it costs is amazing - a hidden gem!!!

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO BOTH MY FAMILY, FRIENDS AND STRANGERS. :) R. J. - CO. USA

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2009

This had to be the WORST hotel experience of my life. I was in Nassau unexpectedly as my grandfather became ill, and we had to fly to Nassau from one of the out-islands. When we asked the receptionist/billing lady at the hospital "where would be a good place to stay" she told us to come to the Nassau Palms. We had tried to phone the British colonial Hilton, but they were booked. So we booked a room at the Nassau palms, and arrived late that night/early the next morning. Upon getting out of the taxi, we encounter various people hanging around the outside of the hotel, obviously up to no good. Music was blaring from somewhere and it looked like a block party out front. As we entered the hotel, there were LITERALLY prostitutes in the main lobby. We arrived late, and although we booked our room late, they had not held our reservation. So the person at the main desk gave me 2 keys to 2 separate rooms, and said "Our security staff is a little busy right now, so go check to see if these rooms look ok." NOT KIDDING. So I leave my grandmother (fearing for our lives at this point) in the main lobby and walk up through what is a maze of corridors, and stairways...because the elevator is broken. There are drunk, loud, and rather disreputable people ALL OVER the hotel. Now keep in mind, I'm 24 years old, and partied it up in college. I have no problem with drunk/disorderly people. These were not college kids nor spring breakers. These were not people you wanted to be around at 2 am while they're drunk. The first room I got to had one queen sized bed, one curtain had been ripped down from the window, no towels, and looked FILTHY. Stained rug, old furniture, fowl smell, so I thought to myself, "ok, this second room HAS to be better". I arrive at the second room (while glancing over my shoulder the whole time to make sure I wasn't being followed) and found the the lock had been jimmied and was "stuck" open. I can only imagine who had been using this open room all night....and I don't think they were paying customers of the hotel... So we went with the first room. So we had one curtain with a horrible orange light gleaming in the window, (I tried to rig the other across the window and tie them together with a hair clip), the lock to the "patio" didn't work, so we put our suitcases and various pieces of furniture in front of that. We only had one hand towel between the 2 of us for bathing, there were no toiletries nor soap, and I thought for sure that I was going to contract a disease from laying on the bed. Oh, and we had also put furniture in front of the front door as well, because the lock didn't work very well on that either. So after about 2 hours of trying to sleep, but being afraid to fall asleep, we got up, checked out and stayed at the British Colonial. (which by the way was FANTASTIC, clean, safe, beautiful and had an amazing breakfast buffet and nice restaurant).

DO NOT STAY AT THE NASSAU PALMS IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Our plane landed in Nassau, my girlfriend (29) and myself (31) got outside quickly to feel just how much warmer (77) it was then New Jersey in late march. We were greeted by an older man wearing a white suite (classic bahaman style) who guided us to a taxi. Nassau Palm is about a 20-30 min ride from the airport, I would guess it was about 4-5 miles, it costs $27 plus a few bucks for heavy bags/tip. The taxis are wildly expensive all over the island, if you look a bit shady, wear plain dark clothes and leave your expensive chains and watches at home, you can tell the 'cab drivers' that you only have ten dollars etc....
Once we arrived at the Nassua Palm, which has a nice looking exterior, we went to the lobby to check in to find a pleasant lady at the front desk, she was friendly yet fairly to the point. At this point something was a little strange....She gave us our room keys and directions to the room and we started to turn away from the desk thinking the bell hop, who was one of 5-6 men just hanging around the corners of the lobby not saying to doing anything, would offer to put our bags on his cart and show us to out room.
Here's the strange-Nobody said a word, they all just watched us, or as I see it, cased us to see if we were rich, dumb, carrying cash etc...
(I think I've traveled enough to have a sense for this kinda stuff)
So, we work our way up to 3rd floor on our own (i don't usually request a bell hop anyway, I can cary my own bags and save a couple bucks) The elevator has graffiti scratched in it, the exterior halls are dirty with dim old lighting (The locals say this used to be a holiday inn) The hotel seemed to only about 20% occupied so one would think they would use the least broken rooms first.
Keeping that in mind picture a badly soiled stained stinky rug, bed quilt that looked so dirt covered that I doubt it had been cleaned in years, a sliding balcony door that takes a body builder to open (the balcony in inches not feet wide, not kidding) half the lights didn't work. But, I do have a few positives, the bed didn't hurt my back as much as I thought it would , the pillows were ok, the mini fridge kept our beers cold (duty free store by the cruise ships is $11.50 a six pack, cheapest on the island, everyone else charges $2.50 a beer and up for take out) The bathroom functioned but everything is kinda broken, bent and rusty, bath faucet separated from the wall, we didn't see any bugs in the room although we saw lots in the lobby/bar area. And by bugs i mean big roaches right on the lobby floor in front of the excursions desk and two employees that try to get you to go snorkeling for 2 hrs. and $200 a person or Horse back riding $150 for one hr. ( I pay $30/hr. near home in Pa) And have paid $30-40 and hour in several other countries to ride on the beach for 2.5 hours. Everything in Nassau is way over priced, I guess cause they can rip off the cruise ship guests which show up in huge droves from 9am to 6pm. Remember 90% of all shops and resturant / bars close at 6pm. except for Mcdonalds and Senior Frogs, which is one of those loud tourist traps with 18 year olds off the cruise ships drinking $10 beers till they puke. (yes drinking age is 18). Anyway, back to the Nassau Palm: One of two pools were open, but it was too cold since in doesnt get any sunlight. We only saw a few people go in during our 3 night stay. The ocean was warmer. The beach is nice, a bit rocky, alot of broken glass since there is a little shack on the beach that sells $4 beers and a bit of food shots etc...they play loud music which didn't bother me. There's a guy that wonders around on the beach hitting on your girlfriend/wife/ sister, while he pretends offer 'party favors' which im sure are fake or poor quality(us your imagination on what I'm talking about here). Okay, more positives: It WAS warm and sunny, there were NOT alot of vendors bugging you all day, It's a bay so there ARE NOT any waves, the water IS crystal clear, I DID snorkel around the rocks and see lots of cool fish. The locals I talked to were chillin' and friendly.
My overall view: Many people have told me how cool Nassau was 10-15 years ago. It is the largest cruise ship port in the Caribbean. 80-90% of hotels and businesses have closed in the past few years! Which was shocking to me. Everything is over priced and lacking value/quality since the locals are trying to cope with a terrible economy and a dollar value that stays with the US dollar. Even the Starbucks charges different prices for the same thing on different days ( in other words they look at you and decide how much they can rip you off) We went in to the Hilton down the street, which was nice, but overpriced and empty. Not one person in the bar and the tender immediately tried to sell us a bottle of champagne since he 'knew we were celebrating something.' Instead we got a pair of 12 oz. beers for $13 ( the bar at the Nassau is almost always closed. We did get one pair of $10 local beers there while hurting my neck trying to watch the TV which is positioned so the bar tender can see it while he plays dominos with his buddies).
If you choose to blow some loot on the Nassau Palm as a cheep trip like we did it will get out of the cold, into the clear water or on the beach with a cigar and beer in hand. Just realize that Nassau is way passed it's prime and that the state of the world economy has been hitting has hard as the hurricanes for years in the Bahamas. One last note that I did not find in any reviews before we went: The road between the hotel and beach is A Major Road. Horns beeping, dump, garbage, fire trucks and ambulances all day. No joke, I'm from dirty Jerz and couldn't take the noise after a day. Oh and it's not a Jacuzzi, it's a kiddie pool shaped like one! Enjoy!
Oh, Best food is at the Graycliff hotel (just a short walk) 5 star service awesome food $40 a person, limited hours, casual dress, only cigar making facility in the Bahamas. It's a short walk from the Palm. Lots of meat since its Brazilian Churrascaria. Look it up, we had a great time!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank newjerseymike27
Reviewed March 13, 2009

unfortunately this hotel was not worth what we paid for it. The room was covered with a filthy carpet, cleanliness was belove average,breakfast was poor. It was close to downtown but that s not a big thing as downtown nassau was just empty, nearly all places were closed at 5 or 6 p.m. The right thing to do if you are planning to go to new providence island is not to go there but to stay in some place in paradise island instead which is 5min by taxi or 15 min by ferry from n providence.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends