“The Right Cup Of Tea For Some - BEST for Divers!”

Orange Hill Beach Inn
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Illinois
“The Right Cup Of Tea For Some - BEST for Divers!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

One great thing about the Islands of the Bahamas is that there is a "flavor of tea" to match anyone's preferences and needs. That being said, this hotel was not my "cup of tea". I was there for one evening, just for an overnight stay while on business. But please do NOT get me wrong, this hotel is not without its amazing charm!

As much as this was not for me, I met another American couple at dinner who could not be more happy! The price is right, the food is great, there are no frills, its a real get away, etc. They came to dive and explore the wonders under the sea. Apparently, this is the place to stay if that is you! This couple captivated me and as a Marketer by nature (and job classification) I couldn't help but consider who this hotel is good for.

For the no frills, great value, this is a good place. The food was great (except the pineapple upside down desert). The rooms come with 3 beds, so its great for families or college groups who are on a budget...you can share a room and still get your own bed. You also get a refrigerator and microwave oven, which many of the expensive resorts do NOT provide. The bar (alcohol and non-alcohol) items are on the honor system... if you take something out of the refrigerator in the bar area, just put a check or x next to your room number. These "down home" places still exist...at least here.

Once I understood what "Fawlty Towers" was (for my American readers, try searching here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers or check YouTube ), I then understood the positioning and theme of this Beach Inn. From my understanding...this inn is an example of the experiences on the Family Islands (Outer Islands) without leaving Nassau/New Providence.

This quaint hotel option is worth a consideration if you don't want the resort hustle and if you are coming to dive.... it can't be beat according to the visitors I bothered who were trying to eat. So I want to thank my fellow American visitors who were from Montgomery Alabama! I thank them for sharing their experience with me and I thank you for reading mine.

For great details about the island and its options, check out the website I found ...Bahamas.com and chose the Places to Stay link for accommodation options on any of the 16 major islands. I hope this helps! Don't forget to ask about the People-to-People program where you can be matched with a local ambassador from the Ministry of Tourism. It is free and you get GREAT details that others are paying for on the tours.

Happy Travels.

Room Tip: Ask about the circular bungalow options (not pool side LOL)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank DenaPhD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Nice place with friendly staff. Is a little run down and tired but the rates are reasonable. Had a fabulous meal there - roast chicken was sensational. Honour bar was unusual but does create a relaxed atmosphere with people standing around having a chat. Very convenient distance to the airport and if you book the taxi through the hotel was only $12 which is unheard of in the Bahamas so was very pleased about that. Very quiet beaches around here, that are easy to get too which i prefer to the craziness of town. Is a great little stay if you don't mind that it is a little old.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelly B
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We only stayed 1 night and stayed in C1 oceanfront suite with a kitchenette . The room had high ceilings very clean ,nice view. We enjoyed the beach and collected a lot of sea glass. Dinner was good and breakfast was Ok. The hotel is very tiered. The staff nice. For a budget traveler it would be easy to stay in our room no problem. I did not see the other rooms but building was v.old. Pool had no atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jakjara
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Pros: The hotel is close to airport, cab fare $17, we had limited interaction with staff but they were nice and reserved a cab back to airport for us. Located across street from a rocky beach.
Cons: Very very rundown, peeling paint, sunken in mattress on beds. It wasn't horribly dirty but the kind of place that felt old and dirty. I knew I'd made a mistake booking it as soon as we drove in and couldn't wait to leave. If I ever have to overnight in Nassau again I will pay for nicer place.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank tdelano

Travelers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the Orange Hill Inn. It was right close to the ocean and the views and landscape were amazing. The free breakfast was great and they had no problem holding my bags while I waited to go to the airport.
The honour bar was really interesting and something I hadn't seen or experienced before.
The room was a bit outdated, but the bed was comfortable and the little balcony was nice. I wasn't in Nassau to look at my room, so this was great! I would definitely stay here again. The jitney goes by every half hour (maybe even more than that) and more so from morning to late evening I believe. A cab to town cost about $20, maybe a big more. I didn't get to try the pool but it looked very tempting!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Megan L
Austin
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We had an overnight layover and crashed here. The rooms are nothing to write home about. Clean enough, but kind of look like pictures from the 70s. Helpful staff. There's a beach across the street so you can float around in the water. Lots of places to eat in walking distance. Just fine for a quick stay, but I wouldn't book my honeymoon here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ktrho666
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This place was recommended by someone who had stayed there but I hope they had a different experience. Our room had food crumbs and a few dead flies on the floor. The plastic cup in the toothbrush holder still had a plastic cup with toothpaste stains and a partially used tube of toothpaste in it. I hope that wasn't supposed to be complimentary toiletries! We asked about taxi service and they had someone on site who drove us to the fish fry area and picked us up later and also took us to the airport. I did not ask fares (very stupid of me) and she charged almost twice the price to go from the Orange Hill Beach Inn to the airport as another taxi charged to take us there. The overall appearance of the place was rundown. Fortunately, we were only there one night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alan W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Towne Hotel
#20 of 37 in Nassau
Coral Harbour Beach House and Villas
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Orange Hill Beach Inn? Share your experiences!