“Excellent hotel with great staff”
Review of El Greco Hotel

El Greco Hotel
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I came to Nassau on a sailboat voyage that took me several months through the near Bahamas Islands, so I was ready for a little R&R. We arrived here in time for the Junkanoo festival ... a must see for any traveler. I try to find great small hotels for a reasonable price where ever I travel, and the El Greco fits the bill. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms, modest but clean. The pool at the hotel is rather small. Morning coffee and toast is served at pool side. Across the street is Junkanoo Beach which is a mile or so from the Fish Fry restaurant district to the west. To the east is the downtown district with lots of nightlife and shops. The Greco is in an excellent location. Buses cost a mere $1.25 to just about anywhere.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed November 25, 2009

We stayed here 2 nights, all I can say is it was very, very noisy! First night there was some sort of party going on in the courtyard. We received a phone call from reception after midnight to ask if we were driving a green car (or something like that!). The second night was not so noisy, but the maintenence workers seemed to start shouting at each other as they swept and cleaned the pool from about 6:30am.

Rooms were pretty dirty.

Other than that the hotel had a nice feel about it and has a great location.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I would rate The El Greco 2 1/2 stars.

The El Greco is located near downtown Nassua, half way between the downtown shopping areas, and the Arawak. I was introduced to this hotel by a taxi driver, who I told I wanted an inexpensive, convenient place to stay in The Bahamas.

Some advantages about this hotel: there is a GREAT beach called Junkanoo located right across the street, with views of Paradise Island, a lighthouse, white sand, and teal water. A 15-min walk west on Bay Street will bring you to Arawak and what's called the "Fish Fry", a band of restaurants where you can get lobster, conch, fried plantains, and local beer. A 15-20 min walk east on Bay Street will bring you to the downtown shopping area and also the 15-min. ferries to Paradise Island (which has celebrity homes, Atlantis, the Casino, etc.). The ferries leave every half hour until 6PM and are $4.... More upsides to the hotel: beautiful lobby, and a neat little pool in the center. Also the staff seemed a little tough but warmed up to me - just be super friendly to them and they will treat you ok.

The downside to this hotel: the location is not as high end as say, Cable Beach. The area can be a little deserted at night and I would definitely not recommend walking alone at night in the area, although it's fine during the day. My particular room needed some help - it was dirty, needed new carpet / lighting fixtures, the remote control wasn't working properly, light bulbs were out, and definitely needed a new showerhead. THE WORST: lukewarm to cold water in the shower! I complained about it, and the water eventually turned hot. But the next day it was cold again.

But for the price.... at $100-110/night, this is probably the best deal you will find on the island. Would recommend if you need to stay as cheap as possible.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank SwitchbladeDolphin
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Incredible location directly across from the beach, walking distance to just about everything, and flat screen TV's. Its a decent hotel, being paid for by the clients I'm here to see. I wouldnt have chosen it myslef, but sice Im here, I'd give it another try.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Bmudri
Reviewed September 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a romantic trip without the kids. The hotel staff was very pleasant and welcoming! The rooms were plenty big and comfortable. (We stayed in one of the updated rooms) The only complaint I would have about our stay was that we arrived the same time as a group of school kids (teens) arrived. I think they were all part of a church group, but the first night they were pretty rowdy and you can hear just about anything that goes on in the hotel courtyard/pool area. However, after that night the noise level was just fine!
This hotel is directly across the street from the beach which was never packed, we preferred this beach to any of the others we travelled to on our stay. If you don't have really high expectations and you like quant, this is the hotel for you. It definately has the Bahamas "feel" to it!
We fell in love with the Bahamas and will definately be back!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gksra42105
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We come every year and this is the hotel for us. I have a baby and a 8 year old and they are very helpful. The staff are very nice. I always recomend this place.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My 11 year old daughter and I stayed at the El Greco Hotel from 27 - 31 July, 2009. Since I don't like those huge hotels, I had searched for a hotel for weeks when I finally came across the El Greco. The moment I saw the pictures I knew that was the place I had been looking for.
The hotel is everything that the pictures showed it to be. Check-in was painless and we got the room we had requested, right by the pool. The place was very nicely taken care of, the pool crystal clear. (Only the stairs to get in are a little rough, some tiles wouldn't hurt..) There's a bar next to the pool where you can get ice, use the microwave or the little oven to heat up food. In the morning they have a continental breakfast set up there. The overall cleaniness of the room was pretty good, there was only one minor issue. When I brought that up to the manager, she had the maid join us and the issue was taken care of immediately and they followed up with me to make sure everything was fine after that - which it was! Youlanda and Renee (I hope I spelled her name right) and all other employees were extremely nice and helpful, especially Renee was a constant source of information, always had a smile on her face, always friendly and never impatient and I swear I must have bugged that poor woman with questions about 10 times a day. :-) She's a real sweetheart.
The hotel is located right across from the beach, and even though the beach is close to the cruise ships, the water is lovely and crystal clear.
You can catch a jitney right outside the hotel to either go to the area of the strawmarket or to go to the fish fry or cable beach. (If you're on a budget like us and you want to buy groceries instead of going out to eat all the time, take a jitney to Cable Beach and go to the City Market, it's a very nice store. There's also one close to the straw market, across from the Burger King. That one is pretty unique and has the charm of a warehouse but will allow you to get the most necessary.)
I have not added any pictures of the hotel, because everything that's already on here shows it exactly the way it is - awesome!
If I ever go back to the Bahamas, and I hope I will - I will definitely return to the El Greco (...even though the locals do get better rates than the tourist.... yep, I caught on to that... lol) If you want a big, fancy tourist hotel with all its amenities and/or you're really nitpicky the El Greco is probably not for you - but if you look for a nice place with personality and charm, with nice rooms, comfortable beds, and people who will make you feel very welcome, check out the El Greco. We felt right at home.
If there was anything I could change, I'd put a small refrigerator in the room. That's it.
I wasn't paid to put this in, neither am I a hotel employee, lol --- I just really loved that place. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I also don't mind sharing pictures.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family