Junkanoo Expo Museum
Ranked #55 of 129 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum showcasing the costumes and floats from the annual Junkanoo parade.
Reviewed October 18, 2013

see the costumes and hear the history of the Junkanoo. You can even touch most of the exhibits and evens encourages you to try on a headpiece. The back classroom for the kids is fabulous and keeps the heritage alive for the young locals. We rang the buzzer before 9 and she let us in . Was informative and educational our friends were jealous they didn't go- whatever!

2  Thank cing

Reviewed July 27, 2013

After reading the Bahama government schedule of events that listed the national float parade as July 19th, cultural explosion as July 20th, and junkanoo run-outs every Saturday we found the parade was July 10th, cultural expo was in June and there was one run-out on July 10th. We tried to go to this Expo but were told that it was closed and they are not sure if/or when it will re-open.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This quaint museum is an uphill walk from our cruise ship but well worth the effort. Arlene Ferguson remembers years of Junkanoo celebrations and she has collected a multitude of home-made costumes and instruments and installed them in her former family home. For a drop-in feel of one dollar, we participated in a hands-on cacaphony of cowbell ringing, drumming and other noisemakers along with other tourists who were there at the time. Although my friend and I came on our own, others came as part of their cruise ship onshore sightseeing. I don't know how much the ship charged. After the participants left, we remained behind to talk to Arlene and her brother about their experiences and learned quite a bit about the history of her family.

3  Thank JHannah426
Reviewed April 2, 2013

although the costumes themselves were fabulous, there were only a few on display dotted in between lots of small touristy stalls. it is free though so if you're in the area, you might as well walk by

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was the last stop on our excursion of touring the island. It was suppose to be the highlight of the trip, but I thought it was a tad too long & drawn out. Pros: The hosts were so energetic and you could tell this was their passion & they loved what they are doing. Costumes are gorgeous! Cons: Was too long for me. Half the time would have been better for me. I kept thinking to myself "when is this over?"

2  Thank Dani2409