“Don't miss it”

Junkanoo Expo Museum
Ranked #56 of 129 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum showcasing the costumes and floats from the annual Junkanoo parade.
Reviewed January 8, 2013

What a great way to spend an evening and morning in Nassau. Dancing and floats generally excellent. Was on time this year so we were late (we expected the usual late start). Very crowded and parking is difficult. Overall it was well organised with a great party atmosphere.

1  Thank Reginald M

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Visited Nassau as a port of call on the Disney Dream. I had no interest in things like Atlantis and such. Found a Nassau Forts and Junkanoo tour offered and decided to take it. Glad I did. When we got to the Junkanoo Expo, I really knew I had made the right choice for an excursion. I really wish I could remember the names of our two hosts, but regardless of that, they welcomed us into the museum and proceeded to give us a great history of Junkanoo and what it meant to the islanders. We then got a chance to make our own Junkanoo music and dance some before heading back to the costume display area where we were allowed to try on the various head pieces and pose for pictures. I would highly recommend anyone visiting Nassau and looking for something a bit more historical than truly touristy to check this one out.

7  Thank HawkeyeFLA
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Junkanoo Expo is a fabulous way to spend some time in Nassau. We took a cab to the museum and it seemed that the driver was impressed that we even heard of Junkanoo. We arrived during the middle of a tour so I'd recommend calling before just because you would miss out on a lot of information if you come in the middle of one. We had an excellent time and would definitely go back. The kids enjoyed it, right along with the adults. The owner(s) are helpful and ready to share the Junkanoo history. I wish this was apart of the excursions offered by Carnival Cruises. It's a shame that people do not know about this little, but important part of Nassau.

4  Thank HelloKitty1727
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I went here and weren't sure what to expect. Arlene and her husband are the best! Their demeanor and friendliness was so infectious. Our visit consisted of a brief explanation, viewing of past costumes, some soda tasting, and made A LOT of noise, but it was SO much fun.

3  Thank sypremeks
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Educulture Junkanoo Museum is at 31 West Street, which is about 5 minutes from the Straw Market and is well worth a visit. I read about this expo on TripAdviser and emailed to confirm the location and hours. The museum director responded and gave detailed directions to the museum. The same director, Arlene Ferguson, gave us a tour of the museum and was very helpful and informative. She shared wonderful stories about the various Junkanoo outfits and gave us a brief history of the Junkanoo festival. At the end of the tour, we took pictures with the Junkanoo outfits and the kids loved it.

The museum takes less than an hour and shows the kids a non-tourist side of the Bahamas. I'm not sure the cost since no signs were posts so I give gave Arlene a donation at the end. Great place.

7  Thank MDTraveler2010