“Perfect Do-It Yourself day on a budget when cruising to Nassau”

Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Center
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
More Info
$16.20*
and up
Ardastra Gardens, Zoo & Conservation Centre...
More Info
$95.00*
and up
Nassau Guided Bike Tour
Ranked #8 of 129 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ardastra Gardens, Zoo & Conservation Centre is a peaceful 80 year-old retreat spread over 4 acres of lush tropical gardens. It is a boutique zoo that specializes in bird rescue & rehabilitation, education, preservation of history and conservation of natural resources. Ardastra is home to many native species of plants and animals - including the Bahamas National Bird, the beautiful and exotic Caribbean Flamingo. We are well-known for our animal encounters that allow visitors to get "up close "with some of our residents. We encourage all of our visitors to take a guided tour for a better appreciation of our residents and our property. To maximize enjoyment, we also encourage our guests to schedule their visits around our Signature Showtimes: 10:30am, 1:30pm or 3:30pm. You can participate in the "Flamingo Experience", a unique show of the glory and antics of these incredible creatures together with an excellent narration of their story. Guests can also hand-feed the colourful and playful South Pacific Lory Parrots and have numerous photographic opportunities during your visit. While walking the Gardens, friendly and informed staff will answer questions while two-legged feathered friends will freely entertain. Light refreshments are available at the "Parrot Pit Stop". "Toby's Treasures" is filled with gifts/souvenirs so that you can take a piece of Ardastra home with you.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I’ve been to this port several times and always try to do different things when I am there. This trip I grabbed a taxi at the port and went to the ARDASTRA GARDENS & ZOO (Taxi:$10, Zoo: $16) http://ardastra.com You can grab the no.10 bus which would drop you off about 2 blocks from the Zoo by the Fish Fry.

This is not a huge zoo and is self-guided. They have a “Marching Flamingo” show in the center court which is fun to see. You can also feed the LORY PARROTS three times throughout the day. They are cute birds and harmless. The paths around the zoo are not all paved but easily managed with wheelchairs or the elderly. This is a nice relaxed do-it-yourself day trip. There is a gift shop and they will call for a taxi when you need it.

1  Thank twisk19380

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I took booked this as part of a cruise tour. The tour bus driver was great and the drive interesting. The zoo itself is set in a very lush oasis surrounded by the city, but you hardly know. The Flamingo show was okay, but the parrot feeding was really fun. There is a nice little gift shop on site as well as a straw market vendor with the typical fare. It is set up so that you can get up close and personal with most of the exhibits, especially the birds. We were there in August and as expected it was hot and humid, so plan accordingly. Ardastra would be a good adventure for the kids and anyone tired of the beach and shopping.

1  Thank 893DavidW456
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I will qualify my review by saying that my husband and I love zoos. We always visit the local zoo when traveling, so it made sense that we would go to the zoo during our honeymoon in Nassau!
We spent several hours at Ardastra Gardens, and at the inexpensive admission price it was definitely the most bang for our buck in an otherwise expensive city.
The lorikeet feeding was a great experience. If you have to pick one, skip the flamingos and feed the lorikeets!
We were also able to get lunch for a reasonable cost while here, which was a pleasant surprise. They had burgers or hot dogs and chips and a drink for $5.

2  Thank shannonmarie82
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We went there for something to do. It was very hot. We had a lot of fun. They had a show with flamingos and my daughter and I were chosen to dance with them. It was also fun feeding the birds. We enjoyed our time there. We were there 2009.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

A short ride on the #10 bus to Cable Beach. I would suggest you ride to the end of the line then get off at the zoo on your way back. The Zoo is just about a mile from the bus stop. We were fortunate to get here in time to feed the parrots and watch the Flamingo Show. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours strolling through the magnificent gardens. Great for family education and entertainment

2  Thank DocBillGalveston