“Fun Off-the-Beaten-Trail Quick Stop”
Review of Blackbeard's Tower

Blackbeard's Tower
Ranked #79 of 128 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch tower reportedly used by the pirate Blackbeard.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Whether or not the tower is really Blackbeard's is, of course, debatable. It is, however, an interesting ruin of a tower complete with an inscription inside and wooden staircase. If it was possible to climb to the top (the staircase is far from sturdy!) I'm sure it would offer up great views of the ocean. You can see the ocean from the ground level though.

The tower is right where a previous reviewer said it was: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=25.052118,-77.287119%20%28Blackbeard%20Terrace%29. When heading east down Eastern Avenue, the turn off for it is on the right and is the road just before the Brazilian Embassy. If you pass the embassy, just turn around at one of the next roads! The tower is right next to someone's home and there's no clear trail to it but it's not very far from the road. The simplest way to get in is to just hug the side of the house's fence.

Certainly fun for a bit of history, speculation, and photos!

4  Thank Amanda S

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Our guide drove us right to it. What a sight! So glad we took the extra time to go out to see it. Nice area.

1  Thank stacicooperhoffmann
Reviewed November 26, 2013

"Blackbeard's Tower" is a fake. I am not sure exactly when the deception started but I have a feeling that someone decided to add another attraction to the few that exist in Nassau, probably in the 1920's. Quite simply, the tower is an old mill - you can see the track for the guide wheel running around the top of the remaining structure. My guess is that it was a windmill. Blackbeard was not in The Bahamas long enough to have built it. Also, I would caution people against visiting the place. It is VERY remote and not a place that I would go to on my own.

7  Thank balmainantiques
Reviewed February 25, 2013

well the drive is wonderful, because to get to this place from paradise island or cable beach or Nassau, you get a nice sight seeing tour, and once you get there you are happy that you did

2  Thank friendlyfanny1
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was determined to visit Blackbeard’s Tower but it took me a very long time to reach it today (June 22, 2012). First, I decided to take a jitney from downtown Nassau. First, it is not easy to find information on jitney operations to the east of downtown Nassau. The best information I could find is at these two sites (http://wikitravel.org/en/Nassau and http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/connect/ee780aaf-f343-4352-a6c9-d95ca89cd7ae/RT+Dept.Official+Bus+Routes.pdf?MOD=AJPERES). However, I was told by jitney drivers that unless you travel early in the morning the #9A and #9B actually (at least initially) follow the #9 route which means that it goes via Elizabeth Estates (although there were no signs so I'm not sure) it appears that the jitney went via Village Road, Bernard Road, Fox Hill Road, Prince Charles Drive, Commonwealth Boulevard, Yamacraw Hill Road, Culbert’s Hill, Winton Highway and then finally Eastern Road).

Second, the site itself was difficult for me to find. The jitney (heading north on Eastern Road) dropped me off at a sign saying “Tower Heights”. However, after walking up the hill and being unable to locate the site it became apparent (after talking with a neighbor) that this was merely a reference to a neighborhood of that name although presumably the name comes from being nearby Blackbeard’s Tower. So, I walked back down the hill to Eastern Road. A posting on another website (Lonely Planet) said the following: “To reach the tower, you go up an unmarked path next to a green-and-white house called 'Tower Leigh,' south of Fox Hill Rd.” I started to go up this road but a friendly resident told me that I should go down one more street before going up towards Blackbeard’s Tower. Perhaps that suggested route would have worked but I ended up going a bit further north towards Fox Hill Road as described below.

So, I went a bit further down Eastern Road (but not as far as the Green Convenience Store as the store is labeled on Google Maps but the sign on the building says “All Season Convenience Store”) and found myself going up an unmarked road which, apparently when looking on MapQuest (but not on Google Maps) is called Blackbeard’s Terrace. After walking up that hill and turning left at the top of the hill I went to the end of the street where a home has been built which a gate and fence. If you look carefully immediately adjacent to the fence there are some ruins which can be reached by walking about five feet into the bushes. There is Blackbeard’s Tower. Here is the exact Google Maps link via my iPhone when I was at the site (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=25.052118,-77.287119%20%28Blackbeard%20Terrace%29). Sadly, perhaps because of the residential development around the area, the site has not been maintained at all and you can’t even see the view from Blackbeard’s Tower since the internal staircase is rotted through.

I felt a bit uncomfortable on the jitney ride because I was unsure where I was headed and where I was going but the jitney drive was very good about dropping me off at the correct location. I felt very comfortable walking about the area around Blackbeard's Tower since the area seem quite upscale. It was pretty cool to see some neighborhoods around Nassau and New Providence.

10  Thank Alex T