Book In Advance

from $65.00
from $95.00
from $257.00
More Info
All reviews guided tour interesting piece of history fish fry entrance fee highest point on the island small fee quick tour gift shop take pictures cruise ship straw market soldiers cannon century ramparts bahamas battle
Reviewed 5 days ago

Stopped here with a small tour bus group. The concrete-walled fort sits atop a hill that overlooks the cruise harbor. The access road is narrow, steep, and crowded with tourists and vendors. Drivers need to be observant because the tourists aren't. There is a small admission charge to enter the fort ($3)....but I decided to walk around the area and visit the numerous shops and crafts people. The local wood worker is very talented and he will personalize any purchase. Within a small adjacent building are restrooms and a very small area where you can purchase drinks and snacks. Free parking surrounds the fort and is at a premium and driving is most difficult.

1  Thank Linda44149
Reviewed 1 week ago

We went on a dune buggy excursion and this was our first stop. We enjoyed hearing the history of this fort and the island. It’s located near lots of local eateries if you’re interested in true island food.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A typical example of a costal defense fort from the 18th century, a small example. Its claim to fame is that is was build to deter an attack from the French - and it worked, they didn't attack.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

1st, no map is accurate, so getting there is a mystery. 2nd it's just a concrete fortress, the only view is of the commercial shipping trailers. It's not worth the time or the trouble to get there. Better to visit Fort Fincastle via the Queen's Staircase. Closer hike from the cruise docks, more interesting, better view. My review "recommended length of visit of less than 1 hour" is the lowest they'd allow, but it would take longer to get there than you'd spend there.

1  Thank FLgal1989
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

Of all the forts in Nassau, this one is the largest and most well maintained. It has quite a few passages that are well lit and fun to explore (our 9 yo enjoyed it). Nice views of the area and harbor, and it overlooks the Cricket Grounds. There are restrooms available for visitors.

2  Thank drs_ars_sas
Reviewed June 23, 2018

We did tours of Nassau on our own since we had a car. Veronica, our tour guide, got us the behind the scenes by letting us take the car in. (Her boss none to happy but my 77 YO mom really appreciated it.) She guided us through the fort and stopped multiple places for my mom to stop and take her breath while Veronica told us stories about the history of the fort and the country of the Bahamas in general.

We both love history and it was fascinating to know all these forts were built (carved out is more like it) and never really used. The tour lasted about an hour but was limited to my mom's ability. Veronica would explain what I would see and send me off to take pictures to show mom as she talked. If you are history buff, don't miss the forts here. It's a very different side of the island.

Reviewed May 22, 2018

If you want to see something else than beautiful beaches, this museum gives you an idea about the history of the Bahamas.

Reviewed May 22, 2018

The young lady who was our tour guide was wonderful and led us through the entire fort while giving us the entire history of the area and telling us what life was like back when the fort was in operation. The site was incredible, but it's people like her that make the experiences so much more enjoyable.

Reviewed May 12, 2018

I loved this tour and so did my wife! This was an excellent historical outing and I would highly recommend this to anyone with 2 hours to spare in beautiful Nassau!

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Please Visit, it was the best place to go in the Bahamas. The taxi service was great and I really enjoyed myself.