British Colonial Hilton Nassau
$289
$250
Hyatt.com
3,605 results
All reviewsprivate beachthe executive loungeparadise islandday passstraw marketbusiness hotelcruise shipdunkin donutssenor frogsfish fryaqua restauranthotel beachbay streetsenior frogsfood and drinksjunkanoo beachnice beach
Reviewed April 29, 2005

I stayed at the B.C. Hilton with my husband and 4 year old. We found the hotel to be clean, centrally located, and the staff very friendly (except for the front desk). The food was typical for a hotel. The Hilton advertises that kids 4 and younger eat free, but we continually needed to have charges removed from the bill even when we pointed out the age of our daughter. When we went to check out, we were hit with an energy surcharge. I know some hotels do that, but I think it's wrong. Also, there was a $45 laundry charge incorrectly added to our bill.

On the upside, we were staying on the 6th floor (Executive Floor) which entitled us to a free continental breakfast in the executive lounge, and also free canapes and drinks in the evening (5:30-6:30).

Lastly, the weather was beautiful during our stay except for our last night there. We were hit with heavy rain and the roof leaked and we had to evacuate our room! Overall it was fine but maybe not the best choice for those of us traveling with young children.

• Stayed: April 2005
13  Thank LynnGF
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 27, 2005

The Hilton is a nice quiet hotel mostly for adults. It's very stylish and has a excellent beach. You could go out on it at night and be by yourself alone. Check in was quick and the staff was very polite. Housekeeping did a good job.The location was convienient with a bus stop right outside the hotel. You can get anywhere you want in 10-15 minutes. Forget about a rental car. I rented one but decided against it once I saw the left lane driving and the narrow streets. The rooms and food were mediocre for me. The rooms were rather small in a l shape with only room for a queen bed. I ate the breakfast buffet 2 times and the food was dry and tasteless. At almost 40 bucks for 2 I felt cheated. Most important- watch out for all the check out fees. A 5 minute call to the states was 25 bucks. They,ll also charge you 10- 25 bucks for anything you take out the mini bar. They ended up charging me for a beer I didnt even drink. There's also a energy fee and a cleaning fee. The Bahamas is very nice only if you stay in the resort areas. Downtown where I was at was really rough especially at night. Other than a few nice shops, downtown felt sleazy. The big attractions for Nassau was the beaches, boat rides and especially the Straw Market. A big huge tent with all types of arts and crafts, antiqes and clothes at cheap prices. I overall liked this hotel and wouldn't mind staying next time. The room did come at a great bargain too. I got it at priceline for only a 100 dollrs a night.

• Stayed: February 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Not a vacation destination, but fine for a business trip.
Bed area is small and dark, although the bathroom is large containing both a tub and seperate shower.
Standard small hotel pool and bar area. Beach ! area on the side of the docks, great for looking at the passing cruise ships if you are in to that.
On the edge of the main shopping area.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank HJFHJS
Reviewed April 16, 2005

Our family had traveled through out the Bahamas but never to Nassau. We had heard of the Atlantis but wanted a nice hotel, not the "Las Vegas" experience in the Bahamas. The British Colonial Hilton fit the bill. Built in 1922 and recently renovated by Hilton the atmosphere was perfect. A touch of the colonial past, but with the rennovation it was perfect for two adults and three children who wanted a little more of a laid back environment. Atlantis was a short taxi ride away and the main shopping district right around the corner. The rooms were somewhat small but the bathrooms were much larger than average. The beach was better than average for the island. The staff was nice and the hotel was clean. Had a very good excercise room for those so inclined.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank HCBIII
Reviewed April 11, 2005

Yes the rooms are very small, but they are clean with huge bathrooms. Yes some staffs can be rude, but others can go out of their way to help you. And yes the beach is almost non-existent, but I wouldn't go to a downtown hotel for its beach anyways.

No, definitely not Atlantis, not the right place for a beach vacation. But it's right in the middle of daily Bahamian life, parades, downtown shops, pink colonial buildings, and yes, even some beggars, all makes the vacation that much more interesting.

So, I really liked it. The hotel itself provides reasonable comfort and familiarity amongst third world surroundings. But in the end it really depends on what kind of vacation you are looking for.

• Stayed: December 2004