“Wonderful hotel, helpful staff, great food”

British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Toronto, Ontario
“Wonderful hotel, helpful staff, great food”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We just got back from one week in the Bahamas. We had two rooms on the sixth floor at the British Colonial Hilton. The rooms had been recently renovated with marble tiled floors in the bedroom and bath. The beds were very comfortable with plenty of pillows. One room was facing the street. There was a fair amount of street noise at night. It didn't seem to faze my daughters (age 15 and 10) at all though. The room was nicely appointed, although the bathroom was a bit cramped. Our room was across the hall facing the ocean. It was quieter, and had a large bathroom with plenty of counter space, a separate glass shower, a tub, and a toilet with a very efficient flush. (I have to mention this because we went over to Paradise Island for two days, and stayed at the Comfort Suites in order to access the Aquaventure park at Atlantis. I would not recommend the Comfort Suites at all. The room was tired. The handle on the toilet kept falling off, the drain for the tub was not working properly, and the beds were very uncomfortable. My husband had no feeling in his legs for two days as a result of sleeping on the matress.)
The service at the British Colonial Hilton was exceptional. Every employee made a point of greeting you and asking if everything was all right. My husband travels a great deal and has stayed at Hilton family hotels throughout the U.S. and Canada, and he said that the service at this hotel was without a doubt the best he has come across. The maid service was terrific, and our room was always cleaned by noon. The pool was warm and there were ample towels. We had breakfast each morning in the Portofino restaurant. The food was great and there was an excellent variety of items. When the renovations are complete, this is going to be a beautiful hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank 4escape
PJTorres, General Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, July 21, 2009
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your comments in regards to our newly renovated rooms, food quality and the hospitality offered by our Team Members.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.
If there is another way to be of service please do not hesitate to contact us.

Pablo Torres

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Turkish first
Houston
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We found the British Colonial Hilton to be a great home base for our vacation. We stayed for 8 nights and found the entire staff to be very friendly and helpful. The Bahamas is expensive and the automatic charges at any hotel can add up, along with the automatic 15% gratuity that goes onto any food bill. But, the Hilton is set in a nice spot that allowed us to go downtown, take advantage of tours, and walk to Fish Fry area for many good meals. We appreciated the helpfulness from the staff...even in the midst of renovation that is still ongoing. If come back to the Bahamas...we'll stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
PJTorres, General Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, July 18, 2009
We are delighed to hear your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are very happy to see that you noticed our hospitality.
Once gain thank you and if there is another way to be of service in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Just returned back from 10d at the British Colonial Hilton.

The renovations are nearly done, we had a nice renovated room on the sixth floor with a great view of the harbor. Currently the Portofino buffet restaurant is your only dining choice. Both of the lounges are currently under renovation, so if your looking for entertainment at the hotel you won't find it at the moment. But you probably aren't going to the Bahamas to hang out in your hotel anyways! The Portofino is definitely due for an upgrade, I only wish we could have seen the new lounges they have planned they look spectacular.

The most spectacular feature of this hotel in my mind is the staff, that starts from the front desk to chambermaids, maintenance people and bartenders at the pool that you see everyday. Clearly these people have been schooled in customer relations :)

The rooms are decent but not spectacular. Considering this building is nearly 100 years old and the ongoing maintenance that is evident, I think they are doing the best with what they have. It has load more character than say the Sheraton or Wyndham, but while its a period building, it isn't the Chateau Lake Louise or St. Regis SFO

Not unique to this hotel, as we were in the Bahamas just last year are the insidious add on charges you will find everywhere. Standard 15% gratuity applied even if you walk up to the bar and get your own drink or visit the buffet for example. Then there is also the $9/d charge for the maid, plus $8/d energy charge. I thought just Atlantis was doing this but no its everyone :(
At least there is no resort charge here! On that note, the somewhat smaller but "private beach" was a big factor for us in choosing to stay here. The beach isn't so private, as on nice sunny warm days there is flocks of cruise ship passengers admitted to the beach / pool area at $20 head. Luckily while we were there this only happened a few times, but I have to question the wisdom of allowing a bunch of mostly boisterous teenagers in to use your recreation facilities ?

If your staying on business your are right in the middle of everything, if you are there on pleasure you are a little isolated half way between the cable beach area and the paradise island area. Cabs are plentiful and its about $12 to either place. The best Duty Free shopping on the island though is just steps away on Bay St.

there you have it...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mojito99
PJTorres, General Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Thank you very much for your review and for noticing our hospitality. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and are pleased to advise that our rooms renovation will finish in the next two weeks. We are extremely happy about the positive feedback we are receiving from our guests.

We are currently renovating our Lobby Bar, which we are expecting to open this summer with an up-scale new concept called Bullion and a new coffee bar.

Again thank you for the feedback and we hope we can welcome you back again soon

If there is another way to be of service, please do not hesitate to contact us

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I pre-paid for a series of rooms on a business trip and got a great rate (under $200/night). But that was the end of the bargains. Every service there comes with a mandatory 15% gratuity "for your convenience." Really. I wish businesses would just be honest and say, "for OUR convenience." That automatic gratuity sometimes undermines good service. But I would say that on the whole, we experienced very good responses from the valets, bellmen, front desk, concierge and many of the restaurant staff.

The Hilton's renovations are nice, though not yet completed as of mid-June. The only restaurant is the Portofino. Coming soon will be a coffee shop and higher-end restaurant. The room sizes are fairly decent, but the AC system is irregular. Sometimes it freezes you out and other times it leaves you sweating. We couldn't figure out why from night to night. And if you are traveling with lots of gear (we had heavy film equipment), make sure not to stay on the 5th floor as it has three steps oddly placed in the middle of the hall. The only floor like that and an impossible hall to use with luggage carts.

The hotel is very clean and features attractive decor. We had the chance to visit the Atlantis (overwhelmingly large and flashy) and the Wyndham (awful decor inspired by the Love Boat in the '70s, sucks the life out of you) and based on those experiences, we were very happy with the Hilton.

One thing to note before visiting Nassau is that you drive on the left and the national speed limit is 35. So not a problem to adjust if you are a tourist. There are no crazy highways. But there IS crazy traffic. Bay Street is the DC Beltway of Nassau -- constantly congested. Pedestrians can travel faster than cars on that road. And the Hilton sits in the middle of it. If there is a parade, if there is a heavy rain and requisite flooding, if there is perennial road work anywhere downtown, you will be stuck in traffic the moment you leave the hotel. Factor that in and you'll be a happier business traveler.

Having seen some of the resorts here, if you are a business traveler, this is the only sane place to stay. There's a nice beach and pool out back, too, nicer than you would expect from the descriptions.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
PJTorres, General Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, June 15, 2009
Thank you for your valuable feedback and detailed information regarding our renovation! We are extremely happy about our room renovation and the upcoming of our new coffee bar and high end Bullion Bar.
We apologize for the inconvenience with our A/C Temperature, we just installed a new energy conservation system and we are monitoring this very closely.
Once again thank you very much for your valuable feedback!
If there is any other way to be of service please do not hesitate to contact us
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2009

As a Hilton Diamond Member I had a pretty decent time here. Yes, a small section of the hotel was under construction, much to the management's credit it was quiet and barerly visible. Concierge desk worked out dive trips without any flaw. Reading past reviews of this hotel I have noticed comments about the craftsmenship of the new construction, I am in the construction industry and the carpenters did a decent job. I cannot comment on the cost of this hotel, as I did use HHonors points. I must tell you my only minor gripe about the hotel, is that many of the people who were not guests used the Breakfast facilities. This created a large line that never seemed to move, needless to say we never utilized this facility. However, I don't see how the hotel can remedy this, so I do not place blame. The bathrooms contain a separate shower and bathtub.... very lateeeda! I visit Nassau quite often, although this is my first time staying at this hotel, I will be staying here again in the future.

Two things that must be done.
1) visit the "Fish Fry", great food, reasonable price, relatively cheap beer, $10 cab ride from the hotel.
2) if you are a diver..... Stuart's Cove, do the "Shark Feeding Dive", this occurs everday at 1 PM. This was truly awesome, they feed the sharks by hand!

Final Note: Atlantis Casino, 1 Budweiser, 1 shot of Jose Cuervo, $17.. damn.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank BuffaloSlim
Thank you so much for your valuable review. We are extremely happy with the positive feedback we are receiving about our new rooms product; therefore we appreciate pretty much your positive feedback in regards to the craftsmanship.

Yes! Thanks to our culinary team and our restaurant staff our breakfast has become very popular mostly during the weekends.

Once again thank you for your feedback and if there is another way to be of service please do not hesitate to contact us.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I read the other reviews so I had an open mind knowing that some construction was going on. Since I was traveling by myself and was looking to relax I pretty much said at the hotel the whole time. I had a remodeled room overlooking the water - it was beautiful, clean, and the staff was very friendly. I was especially impressed by the remodeled gym (although on the walk to the gym you understand the difference between the remodeled portion of the hotel and the retro version). The gym overlooked the main drag in Nassau so there was good people watching to be had while working out.

The pool staff was not as attentive as I would have hoped. I think because I was by myself they thought I didn't want to be bothered. Everytime I wanted another drink or food I had to wave multiple people down to try and get service. This is the only area for improvement.

One of the best things about the Bahamas to me was that you go through US customs on your way back in Nassau. It made my arrival in Atlanta so much more pleasant and quick.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
PJTorres, General Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, May 25, 2009
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your comments in regards to our new rooms and the hospitality offered by our Team Members. We also noticed the opportunity with our pool service, therefore we will reinforce our Sequence of Service.

If there is another way to be of service please do not hesitate to contact us

New York
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I want to take the time to let anyone know what a great Executive Lounge staff there is at the British Colonial Hilton. From the initial greeting to the final goodbye. The staff there did everything and anything to ensure our teams stay at the hotel to be a great one. From getting an 'ocean view' room to making sure our internet access worked. I can't say how gratefull we all were (4 of us in the group) for the dedication and hard work we observed and expierenced while staying there. I want to call attention to Shanaso Campbell who did things we could not get corrected by the general population Hotel Staff. We were all very impressed with her efforts. It would not be fair for me not to mention the other staff members by name as they did a great job as well: Chrsyantha Strachan, Tara Miller, Shamarize Lewis, and Kara Ferguson.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we really appreciate your comments in regards to the hospitality our Executive Lounge TEAM. We are all very proud of them! They are doing a fantastic Job.
If there is another way to be of service please do not hesitate to contact us

Pablo Torres
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!