Just checked out today and since I found the first truly "free" item on the island (Internet at the airport) I thought I would write a note about this place.
After spending time reading the reviews on tripadvisor about this hotel I did not know what to expect. I assumed which turned out to be correct many of the negative reviews seem to be from people who did not read the fine print which is not hidden at all (other taxes/fees), it is normal for the higher Hilton properties to charge for internet unless your a Gold/Diamond member, and they forget that this hotel was built by the Europeans which if you have been to Europe would know the rooms would be smaller. The rooms are typical Hilton rooms but just smaller and include a mini fridge. Paid for the upgrade to an Ocean view for $9 a night and was not disappointed. We also received the Executive lounge which included free drinks and some not good appetizers from 5-7, with the cost of $6+ a beer at the bar below just a stop for a few here was a great way to start the night and save some money.
Overall: 4 out 5 for the property. It is in the heart of downtown and 5-10 min walk from just about everything. The staff was hit or miss...
Food: We only ate the breakfast because it was included. Normally Hiltons give you a breakfast voucher for the meal. Here they actually give the bill and you can see it costs 45.98 for two for breakfast (15% gratuity included) They say to sign the bill with your room number and it will not be billed to our room (again we had the executive floors and this was included). I was skeptical at first and wondered if I would have to deal with upon receiving my final bill. Received my final bill and no costs for the breakfast was on the bill and I was pleasantly surprised, I expected at the minimum the gratuity to be included which it was not either. So my final meal I made sure to tip. Overall the food was decent, good selection of fruit, baked goods, and basic eggs, bacon and whatever else you would normally see at a Hilton Breakfast bar to include made to order omelets.
Housekeeping: We had no issues with house keeping. If those who read the cards next to the hotel beds it does say they will only change the bed sheets every 3 days unless you place the card on the bed. Also if you hang up your towels that tells them that you are going to re-use them. IF you want new ones toss them on the floor when you leave for the day. This is standard knowledge if you stay at Hiltons and actually read the little card they give you by the bed. No real complaints for housekeeping.
Pool/Beach: Decent beach and yes the ships all come in between 7-9am and leave between 5-9pm. Somewhat impressive to watch back in and out. The beach/pool area starts to fill up around 9am. Many of the hotel guests come down and put their magazines and some stuff on chairs to ensure they get the space they want. I'm indifferent about that, if your paying for a hotel you should get first dibs on hotel amenities but at the same time the people who did this would not come back down till 11am or later. Beach was clean, not many young kids, few teenagers, and mostly couples or adults on business. One downfall which is consistent across the island is the price of drinks. A beer was $6 and a daiquiri was $13.
Good place overall just take some time to read the reviews and you will see many things that are consistent good/bad when reading them. Overall a good place and if I'm ever this way again I would return to this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on downtown Nassau’s only private beach and the site of Old Fort Nassau, the British Colonial Hilton in the Bahamas has undergone a multi-million renovation throughout all areas of the hotel, and offers a taste of the island’s rich history, along with some of the most modern amenities for both business and vacation travelers. What’s more the hotel is only 25 minutes from Nassau (Lynden Pindling International) Airport. The hotel is a true Bahamian experience with a marble-tiled lobby and is studded with palm trees under a skylight ceiling. There are 288 luxuriously appointed guest rooms with harbor or island views. All rooms are furnished with tasteful decor, complemented by separate shower and bathtub. One-bedroom suites offer a separate living area with sofa bed, and Executive accommodations are also available along with the Executive Lounge, where attentive hotel staff assures that every need and whim will be met during your stay. Recreational activities are convenient and varied for leisure and business travelers alike. A 300-ft long private white sand beach is furnished with lounge chairs and thatched sunshades overlooking the harbor offering a peaceful and secluded access for an ocean swim or a day in the sun. Use of kayaks and snorkeling gear on the beach is complimentary. Bordered on one side by a tropical garden, the hotel's freshwater pool offers harbor views and has an expansive sundeck with lounge chairs and umbrellas. Both the sundeck and beach offer views of cruise ships moored nearby, and of the western tip of Paradise Island, 300 yards offshore. Guests can snooze in hammocks on the lawn adjacent to the pool. The property can also organize trips out reef snorkeling island exploring, boating, golf, tennis and scuba diving. For dining options, Aqua is a fun, casual restaurant serving international favorites with a Caribbean flair, or guests can meet up for cocktails at the Bullion Bar. The new Bullion Bar is the 'place to be seen' for happy hour with great drink specials and tasty snacks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your British Colonial Hilton Nassau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- British Colonial Hilton Nassau Hotel Nassau
- Hilton Hotel Nassau
- Hilton Nassau
- Nassau Hilton
- British Colonial Hilton Nassau Bahamas