“Decent and as expected”

British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just checked out today and since I found the first truly "free" item on the island (Internet at the airport) I thought I would write a note about this place.

After spending time reading the reviews on tripadvisor about this hotel I did not know what to expect. I assumed which turned out to be correct many of the negative reviews seem to be from people who did not read the fine print which is not hidden at all (other taxes/fees), it is normal for the higher Hilton properties to charge for internet unless your a Gold/Diamond member, and they forget that this hotel was built by the Europeans which if you have been to Europe would know the rooms would be smaller. The rooms are typical Hilton rooms but just smaller and include a mini fridge. Paid for the upgrade to an Ocean view for $9 a night and was not disappointed. We also received the Executive lounge which included free drinks and some not good appetizers from 5-7, with the cost of $6+ a beer at the bar below just a stop for a few here was a great way to start the night and save some money.

Overall: 4 out 5 for the property. It is in the heart of downtown and 5-10 min walk from just about everything. The staff was hit or miss...

Food: We only ate the breakfast because it was included. Normally Hiltons give you a breakfast voucher for the meal. Here they actually give the bill and you can see it costs 45.98 for two for breakfast (15% gratuity included) They say to sign the bill with your room number and it will not be billed to our room (again we had the executive floors and this was included). I was skeptical at first and wondered if I would have to deal with upon receiving my final bill. Received my final bill and no costs for the breakfast was on the bill and I was pleasantly surprised, I expected at the minimum the gratuity to be included which it was not either. So my final meal I made sure to tip. Overall the food was decent, good selection of fruit, baked goods, and basic eggs, bacon and whatever else you would normally see at a Hilton Breakfast bar to include made to order omelets.

Housekeeping: We had no issues with house keeping. If those who read the cards next to the hotel beds it does say they will only change the bed sheets every 3 days unless you place the card on the bed. Also if you hang up your towels that tells them that you are going to re-use them. IF you want new ones toss them on the floor when you leave for the day. This is standard knowledge if you stay at Hiltons and actually read the little card they give you by the bed. No real complaints for housekeeping.

Pool/Beach: Decent beach and yes the ships all come in between 7-9am and leave between 5-9pm. Somewhat impressive to watch back in and out. The beach/pool area starts to fill up around 9am. Many of the hotel guests come down and put their magazines and some stuff on chairs to ensure they get the space they want. I'm indifferent about that, if your paying for a hotel you should get first dibs on hotel amenities but at the same time the people who did this would not come back down till 11am or later. Beach was clean, not many young kids, few teenagers, and mostly couples or adults on business. One downfall which is consistent across the island is the price of drinks. A beer was $6 and a daiquiri was $13.

Good place overall just take some time to read the reviews and you will see many things that are consistent good/bad when reading them. Overall a good place and if I'm ever this way again I would return to this property.

Room Tip: Remember this is a Hilton Hotel downtown Nassau not an all exclusive resort...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kara A, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. We hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels

Kara Armbrister

Write a ReviewReviews (3,520)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The room was as any average room of a good business hotel: simple and clean. Though the view was poor and the windows were dirty. The hall and the reception area are large and beautiful, concierge very helpful and the breakfast was providing a great variety of fresh food.the service as everything in Bahamas is VeRY SLOW. The best advice is "not to worry, Man" and get use to the rhythm.
Now, the outdoor area was a complete disaster: small beach between an industrial marina to the left and huge cruiser ship stopover to the right. In front is not an open ocean, but a curve of the island full of trees. Swimming pool was very small and for sure had place only for 40-50 people at the time. A pool bar was very poor in selection, old plastic chairs and again 1 hour to wait for a sandwich.
Overall, the hotel is overpriced! And it is not a resort.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that our Concierge team was very helpful and we provided a great variety at breakfast.

We are disappointed that you were not pleased with our outdoor amenities and apologize for the wait on your sandwich. The information has been passed on to the relevant department to avoid reocurrence of such in the future.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

When we booked the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau in the Bahamas we had high hopes, an Executive Room with King Size Bed and Harbour view and access to the Executive Lounge sounded perfect for a week’s getaway in February. How wrong can you be, by mid week we wanted to come home and the term “Executive” still rings hollow.

An “Executive Room” that was a joke, see the picture included, a small room, one office chair, one small bottle of water to share between us being the only attempt at making us feel welcome with all other bottled water charged at an outrageous price. A bathroom with smelly drains and orange water when we filled the sink, see picture included. The free internet included with our “Executive Room was not working and getting the staff at the hotel to acknowledge that fact proved difficult. Problems with the internet continued over a couple of days and with communications being important to us a very serious concern.

Next came our first visit to the “Executive Lounge” on our first evening in the hotel, “Executive Lounge” is overstating what it is, just a room with a toilet and shower (not sure why a shower) and a small kitchen and island. There were two computers that could not be used due to no internet and some particularly noisy children playing around the lounge. I was told that the hotel changed its policy and lets children in the “Executive Lounge” too. We were on holiday and left because of the noise, those staying at the hotel on business were particularly badly affected.

The following morning we ate breakfast in the hotel “restaurant” which is again overstating what is more like a glorified Café’. My wife had fresh yogurt and got food poisoning spent that evening vomiting and took 3 days to recover. The hotel response to hearing this was “No one else has complained”! On day 5 of our 7 day holiday some attempt was made by the hotel to make amends with a free bottle of wine and some cheese. This fell well short of addressing all the issues described in this report!

Other problems included but was not limited to:-

•The “Heated Pool” not being heated and as a result empty.
•Most of the beach chairs with broken sun shades with many many people trying to prop them up with tables and bags
•More filthy chairs being put on the beach to try to provide chairs for hotel guests as most existing beach chairs were taken by people from visiting cruise ships.
•Outflow of some kind of fluid directly next to the beach.
•Drilling and fixing a drain in the “Executive Lounge” just as people were using it in the evening having had all day to do so but “Oh No lets do it in the evening so everyone can see and hear us fixing it”

As I am sure you will understand we will not be using this hotel again. Being British I am sorry that the word “British” features in the name of the hotel because there is nothing less like a decent British hotel than the “British Colonial Hilton”

My final observations are as follows:-

•Despite being in the Caribbean the hotel had not a single fresh cut flower but rather plastic Iris’s again picture included.

•The hotel seems to not quite know what its target audience is, people on vacation, people on business or people from cruise ships. It is trying to do all three and fails to do anything well. Why are people staying in the hotel given filthy beach chairs to sit on because the hotel are selling spaces to visitors from the cruise ships. Surely hotel guests should come first but not at this hotel.

The staff including those in the Executive Lounge and those who looked after our room were wonderful and are working in a difficult situation. This hotel needs serious work, accurate marketing material which actually spells out what you will get if you stay there rather than the current situation where expectations are raised and then dashed when you arrive at the hotel. In addition they need to address the poor hygiene regime which resulted in my wife ending up with food poisoning.

Room Tip: Dont waste money on an Executive Room its just a room with a desk and certainly not large and no cha...
2  Thank ggrant26
Kara A, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We welcome feedback from our guests, as it assists us in further improving our operations.

We are sorry to hear about your wife illness during her stay, and hope that all is well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send us your impressions, and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This hotel was terrible one of the worst hilton substandard service!! I was here on business & no wifi missed doing important work!! Then breakfast was a farce!! I don't eat meat & don't like same pans & utensil being used for veg option omelette!! I asked the lady doing my omelette if she can use separate utensils to which i got a rude reply of she can't do anything about this!! Just not acceptable!!! The front desk were rude & cannot crack a smile!!! I just don't rate this hotel 2* even!! Room was the darkest my shower head was virtually coming off wall!! The water temperature is cold or hot not in between!!! The only plus is this hotel has nice beach garden although ship horns can be off puting!!! Overall i would never want to come back to Nassau or this hotel again!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Nailahkhan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority, and we welcome your comments as well as the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the unacceptable level of service you received. We do make every effort to ensure we provide excellent service on a consistent basis, and are disturbed to learn we fell short of your expectations.

We trust you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the hospitality in which we are known. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to serving you in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

When I checked in I asked if I could get in-room internet comp’d. The person said no and then had an attitude about it. She was visibly staring at us and talking about us to other staff members as we walked around the lobby. I stay at Hilton frequently and this is the first time they completely refused to let us have in-room internet. We are Hilton Honors members but not gold level so we definitely were not entitled to free internet. It's always been given to us because we're members even though we're not at a high enough level. A polite no would have been acceptable rather than a no with attitude.

I was surprised that the room was very shabby since the website said a renovation was done in the last few years. There was mold, mildew and rust stains in the bathroom. Ground in dirt in the tub.

We stayed 7 days and they never changed our sheets.

We had to unexpectedly extend our stay because of Hurricane Sandy. The special Hurricane rate they gave us was more expensive than what we paid for the preceeding 5 days. There was no maid service at all for the two extra days. Yet they tried to charge us the $10 per day maid service fee. I had to argue with them to get it removed. People left dinner trays outside their doors which stayed there for two full days. Half-eaten food in the hallway for two straight days. That's unsanitary and just disgusting.

Of course the beach and all outdoor amenties were also shut down. Which is understandable but why still charge the full resort fee?

The hotel shut down the two restaurants because of Sandy and we were forced to pay $30 per person for a buffet. The food was mediocre at best.

I had a spill in my room at 2am one night. I called down to the front desk for a broom and dust pan so that I could sweep it up. It took 45 minutes for them to bring it up. Even though I offered at least 3 times to come down and get it. Each time the front desk person said someone was on the way and that person never materialized.

The internet in the business center was horrible. Extremely slow and it kept shutting down. Only two computers for a hotel that size is ridiculus. Neither one of the computers was reliable.

This property is definitely not up to the usual Hilton standards.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank teresaharbin
Kara A, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.

As hoteliers we are acutely aware that meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests is paramount to success. We regret that we were unsuccessful on this occasion and offer our sincere apologies.

Operating during natural phenomena such as hurricanes is challenging. We seek to make the experience as comfortable as possible but due to access limitations and safety concerns, some minor shortfall in service may be experienced. We thank you for your patience in this regard and will continue to seek avenues to ensure the best possible service at all times.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Over the past 15 years I've stays at the British Colonial Hilton on numerous occasions, generally as a stop off point to explore the out islands. The place has gone downhill. We didn't have a operating telephone in our room until the last day. Housekeeping's request for an extra blanket was ignored until I showed up at the front desk. Food was good but not great and staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure that you stay in the executive levels. There are crusie ships coming and going at all time...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gayle352

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you have stayed with us for thepast 15 years and enjoyed the service extended by our Team members.

We are sorry to learn about the disappointments experienced as outlined and hope that you will not allow this to refelect unfavourably upon us.

Thank you for your patronage throughout the years and look forward to many more.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here while on vacation for five nights from February 5th to the 10th. We stayed in room 677 on the club floor which gave us access to the Executive Lounge on the 7th Floor. Our room was on the ocean side of the hotel.

Our room was small but very clean and modern. The bed was very comfortable. We had free wifi both in our room and throughout the hotel and grounds. The pool and small beach were well kept and clean. Towels were provided at the beach and pool. We never had a problem getting our choice of lounge chairs. The beach is very close to the cruise ships docks - close enough that you can at times hear the loudspeakers blaring from some of the ships. The beach is also adjacent to Senor Frog, a local restaurant/night club that plays rather loud music audible from the hotel beach. There is also a constant drone from some machinery or engine at the port that seems to run 24/7. The point is, this is not a quiet, desolate beach spot. I don't want to make too much of the noise - it is only a minor nuisance - and easily disappears if one has an iPod with earbuds. The restaurant by the pool serves drinks and sandwiches. Try the mahi-mahi wrap - it is very good, as is a drink called Bahama Breeze which tastes like Hawaiian Punch. We used the fitness room several times. All the equipment is by Precor. Two of the treadmills require repair, but otherwise the gym is fine. The Executive Lounge provides a great view of the harbor and cruise ships coming and going. The Lounge serves a Continental breakfast on weekdays which was very good. In the evening the Lounge serves soft drinks, beer, wine and a small selection of hard liquor, as well as some hor d'ouerves which for the most part were not very good. Overall we were glad we booked a room on the club floor and we would definitely do it again if we ever come back. The service at the hotel was friendly and efficient. The location is excellent - a short walk to the shops in Nassau and the downtown restaurants such as Matisse.

Room Tip: The club floor is worth the extra cost.
1  Thank BarbaraMichael

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and great food from our pool bar.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to many more opportunities to show you our hospitality.

Kind regards,
Kara Armbrister

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#1 of 36 in Nassau
3 mi away
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!