“Good for business, but pricey”

British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a short 3 day business trip. It has obviously undergone a massive renovation since I stayed there 6 years ago. If I wrote this review at that time I would have said the rooms were dated with a slight stale smell and everything needed to be updated. Well, the renovation has done just that. The rooms are still a bit smallish but overall they're clean, comfortable and have newer amenities. My colleague and I paid over $200/night each for this hotel and I will say that's overpriced. The rooms are, in my opinion, worth more around $120 - $150 a night.

Service was nice and the bar area was central and comfortable. One evening they had the manager making the rounds introducing herself and letting guests know she was available if anything needed attending to. Fortunately we didn't need anything but it was a nice touch on her part.

Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. Location was great for business and we could walk to a few bars and restaurants. For our last "hoo-rah" the night before we left, we decided to visit Atlantis and have fun at the casino. We found out that some of the packages being offered there for short visits can lead to rooms which we understand are much nicer for less than $150/night. As much as the British Colonial was nice, we'll probably give that a shot the next time we're in Nassau.

There are newer reviews for British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed at a lot of Hilton's worldwide and I think this is the worst one I've been to.
I'm one day 2 of my 5 day visit and I don't get the warm feeling from the hotel that I usually get when I stay at Hilton's; especially since I'm a Hilton Gold Member.

Pro's
The pool area is very nice, but the beach is very small and you look at the parked cruise ships; not a feeling of a tropical island. We had a couple of glasses of wine in the lobby bar last night and it was very nice; the lady brought us water and peanuts and kept an eye on us. The breakfast buffet was nice, but I was told I had to pay $7 more if I wanted anything from the hot section; once again not sure why I don't get a free breakfast with Hilton Gold.

Con's
The internet is terrible and when you do get a connection it will sometimes kick you off and make you re-type the passcode and accept "the terms & conditions"....etc.
I asked for an upgrade to the Executive Floor with Lounge access and they said it was booked, then I later asked another guy working the front desk and he said it was $45/per person per day.
He said it was only free to Diamond Members; I wasn't aware each Hilton had different policies.
The hotel is old and def not 5 star. There is a piece of black tape covering exposed wires in my closet and you can see broken sidewalks, and the places needs to be renovated.
Outside the front door is a very busy street with shops & restaurants, but its a bit shady and didn't go in.

I dont know what the rest of the island is like, but I'm not impressed with the Hilton or this part of town.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Yates26
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights and were very pleased with the location, the helpful and friendly staff, the amenities, and our room. The hotel is within walking distance of Junkanoo Beach, Arawak Cay, the Straw Market, the ferry to Paradise Island, a spa, and a variety of restaurants. It is a short bus or cab ride from Cable Beach, Sheraton, Sandals, The Zoo, and Arboretum. The continental breakfast was good, and free if you're a Hilton Honors member; if not, I think it is pretty pricey ($20+). The beach was a decent size, as was the pool, with very conformable chairs, cabanas, and opium pool beds. Our only complaint about the beach was that it was littered with glass. Every single day I found myself picking up shards of glass from the sand so no one would get hurt. This was a little unsettling. The other complaint we have about the experience is that the beach is right next to both the cruise ship port, and Senor Frogs. Both create a lot of loud noise that takes away from the relaxing feel of being poolside, or beachside. The cruise ships are also an eye sore as several of them come and go from the port on a daily basis. Also, although this doesn't necessarily pertain to the hotel itself, Bay Street pretty much shuts down at 5:30, with the exception of a few restaurants; if you want to grab dinner there are several places open past 5:30: Athena Cafe, Cafe Matisse, Sparta, McDonalds, and the eateries at Arawak Cay. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Minnes0ta_Rice
Reviewed January 24, 2013

With the exception of not having some necessary standard items in the room such as an iron and remote control the stay was quite good. The hotel staff was helpful and quickly brought the items to our room. Also, we were not able to check-in our room until late that evening because our room was not ready. The front-desk clerk (Patrice) was excellent and allowed us late check out for the inconvience which was appreciated because we had run just the marathon that morning and needed that extra time.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to others and stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim0670
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hilton over the long holiday weekend. Beautiful hotel with lots of amenities. Location is great with easy walking to shops and dining. Nothing fancy about the rooms, but they are clean and comfortable.

Being a Hilton Diamond Member, I would say that this was one of the friendliest most helpful hotel staffs I have ever experienced. That in itself made for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A decent hotel right in the middle of town with an easy walk to local shops.

The bar out by the pool and beach is great for a quick bite at lunch time and has tables with a good view of the beach and cruise ships arriving at the harbour.

Aqua, a restaurant accessible through the reception is OK, the menu impressive but the service slow and food average. Have had better for less in other restaurants.

Don't be alarmed if the hot water runs a bit red, it eventually clears to a yellow which does not show.

There is a decent restaurant named Sparta a 5 minutes walk from the hotel, McDonalds is just opposite although I did not go in and Starbucks is a 10 minutes walk on Charlotte Street.

Room Tip: Beach view obviously is far better than the city view. The shop will charge $2 for a pack of men...
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Compared to other hotels that I've stayed at in the Bahamas, this one has a more neutral mix of business users to tourists. The rooms are slightly smaller than those further up the road at Cable Beach but more than adequate for a few nights.

The hotel also has a touch of style, hence the "British Colonial" and from the inside this doesn't feel like a regular chain establishment.

Beach and pool looked fine, but remember this is a hotel in the centre of the action and right by the port. It isn't a sea of tranquillity but it does mean that there are host of options for eating out close by, including Fish Fry within walking distance (10 to 15 minutes).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!